ADVERTISEMENT

Did I miss a rule change?

GOLDBANGER

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2013
I was under the impression that there was no reaction time? They specifically said last night on a challenge that the takedown was not beyond reaction time, so I'm guessing that that stipulation, reaction time, has been reinstituted? If not, please just ignore me!!

I was under the impression that there was no reaction time? They specifically said last night on a challenge that the takedown was not beyond reaction time, so I'm guessing that that stipulation, reaction time, has been reinstituted? If not, please just ignore me!!
The "no reaction time" takedown applies to exactly one situation...rear-standing, where the front wrestler puts his hand down.

The "no reaction time" takedown applies to exactly one situation...rear-standing, where the front wrestler puts his hand down.

And for locked hands down on the mat. Section 8 Article 3.

Art. 3. Interlocking Hands — Reaction Time. Reaction time for interlocking hands exists in all areas except for the locked hands call down on the mat.

Rivera is one of the worse reffs in the business Goldbanger..Y
You are right Goldbanger..Rivera is one of the worse reffs in the business..Lugo got screwed but has to finish those shots he had earlier in the match..The cradle in overtime should have been 2 also Rivera did call the lock hands and then when they reviewed over ruled the call..Sasso could have been hit for stalling he never took one shot the whole match but Lugo had him about 4 times and did not finish the job. was a good match for being only 1-1 lol ..
Looks like I will not make nationals been sick and not gaining much head way so way life goes when you are in your 80's..Have fun at nationals hope u can see the wrestlers that place is so big and now using the whole field with the mats ..do see you will be in a suite so can sit and watch on the tv lol .

Rivera is one of the worse reffs in the business Goldbanger..Y

You are right Goldbanger..Rivera is one of the worse reffs in the business..Lugo got screwed but has to finish those shots he had earlier in the match..The cradle in overtime should have been 2 also Rivera did call the lock hands and then when they reviewed over ruled the call..Sasso could have been hit for stalling he never took one shot the whole match but Lugo had him about 4 times and did not finish the job. was a good match for being only 1-1 lol ..
Looks like I will not make nationals been sick and not gaining much head way so way life goes when you are in your 80's..Have fun at nationals hope u can see the wrestlers that place is so big and now using the whole field with the mats ..do see you will be in a suite so can sit and watch on the tv lol .
Hope you're feeling better old friend. Sorry we're going to miss you in the great white north!!

SRE Article #3 Control and Reaction Time January 8, 2019
As we embark on the second semester of NCAA Wrestling I want to take a moment to discuss the importance of adhering to the rules regarding control and reaction time.
Reaction time
There is currently not a definition of reaction time in the rules book. As the Secretary-Rules Editor, I have previously interpreted that each individual referee determines what reaction time is. In adherence to the rules book, it is important to note that reaction time is not instantaneous; it is a real amount of time.
• All takedowns, with the exception of the hand touch takedown, require the wrestler to secure control beyond reaction time.
• Reversals require a change of control beyond reaction time.
• Escapes require a loss of control beyond reaction time.
The hand touch takedown
It is critical to understand that a hand touch takedown requires rear standing neutral control before the hand touches the mat to qualify for this type of takedown. In other words, if there momentary neutral control down on the mat, you cannot apply the hand touch rule, you must wait for control beyond reaction time to award the takedown. See rule 4.2.2 to read the exact language.
Initiating near fall swipes
Since the rules require all non-hand touch takedowns be awarded only after control beyond reaction time is established, then it is important to remember that near fall swipes may not occur until immediately after the takedown is awarded.
Control + Reaction Time = Takedown and now near fall swipes may be started.
Understandably, these sequences often happen very quickly but this point of emphasis is to remind you that, per rule, you may not award near fall swipes before a confirmed takedown has occurred.
Neutral danger zone and reaction time
A wrestler must be in the neutral danger zone beyond reaction time before announcing the NDS.
Keep up the good work!
Chuck Barbee Secretary-Rules Editor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT