ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto eligibility

Andrew Long was given a 2nd chance and he wasted it. Most people are for giving young people a 2nd chance. Long got in trouble here and was booted from the team with 2 years of eligibility left I believe. Desanto is on about chance # 4 or 5. But you knew all of that. Nice troll attempt tho.

Trying to break Micic's arm wasn't too cool.
I was there (in that corner of MSG) to see ADS effort to injure Micic. 50+ years of watching college wrestling ..... and that remains a top 5 bad moment. Loved ADS up until that point. After coming to understand that he has behavioral issues (that he did not ask to be born with), I became more sympathetic. The Brands boys took ADS on after Drexel booted him. They knew full well what they were signing up for. In my opinion, the Brands “owe” it to Austin and the spectrum community to see this project through. Get him more help and keep getting him more help. Iowa got their Natty with ADS help. This poor guy is going to live his entire life with his inherited condition! The Univ. of Iowa should feel obligated to send Austin out into the world with the very best coping toolbox possible.

Andrew Long was given a 2nd chance and he wasted it. Most people are for giving young people a 2nd chance. Long got in trouble here and was booted from the team with 2 years of eligibility left I believe. Desanto is on about chance # 4 or 5. But you knew all of that. Nice troll attempt tho.
Long got a 3rd chance from an Iowa school and blew that too.

Anyway, the criticism is that Terry exhibits poor self-control (and Tom allows it), which is a really poor example for DeSanto. To make Long a relevant comparison, Cael would've had to behave the same way Long eventually did -- which is to say do alcohol/drugs and sexually assault women in front of Long. That's ludicrous even by HR standards.

Nobody alleges that Terry did coke lines with Teasdale either -- that would be another relevant comparison. And equally idiotic.

I have heard he actually said GFY...but did not threaten to kill anyone. My Source is not always reliable.

If he is removed from the team for saying GFY, it makes me believe he was already on thin ice for prior bad acts. If his punishment is the result of cumulative bad acts, it sure is convenient for Iowa that the bad act which pushed him over the ledge occurred at the NCAA Tournament and the punishment for his cumulative bad acts did not take effect until after he earned all of his points necessary for Iowa's NC.

I feel for ADS - I have children on the spectrum (as do some others who post on here). Corby from Rokfin podcast sounds like he works with kids on the spectrum. As I said, he’s spot on with regard to his criticism of Terry. The absolute worst way I could act with my kids to keep them calm and focused would be to act like Terry Brands.
I don’t mind Tom Brands. Intense? Sure. Rough around the edges? You bet. That said, he’s a heart on his sleeves guy who doesn’t make excuses and demands accountability of himself.

His brother, however, is often an out of control meathead. Sorry if that ruffles feathers.
If he is removed from the team for saying GFY, it makes me believe he was already on thin ice for prior bad acts. If his punishment is the result of cumulative bad acts, it sure is convenient for Iowa that the bad act which pushed him over the ledge occurred at the NCAA Tournament and the punishment for his cumulative bad acts did not take effect until after he earned all of his points necessary for Iowa's NC.
Plus perhaps TnT knew Kemdog was leaving, making it an easier decision

I think Desanto’s punishment will go hand in hand with Kemdog’s decision. If Ken leaves, I bet they boot Desanto. If Kem returns, Desanto will get another life lesson.

My job is working with students with autism. I teach Speech as well as Social Language. People have this impression that autism results in uncontrollable outbursts. That is very rare and is generally an issue related to an inability to properly communicate. IF DeSanto has autism, the Brands should have given him very clear instructions regarding actions and consequences. Threatening a woman has ZERO to do with autism and everything to do with bullying and entitlement. If the Brands had his best interest in mind he would serve a lengthy suspension or a dismissal. Any non-athlete who did what he did would most likely be in jail. Holding a kid with autism to a lower standard is probably the worst way to handle the situation.
Thank you. Very well spoken and right to the point I don't like the feeling someone gets a pass for a lower standard of behavior that just spawns excuses for those behaviors and those to come. And I'm amazed how many people automatically think autism means outbursts it doesn't thanks again

Yeah, I definitely agree, if that is what he said and that's all it is, then the punishment (i.e. not standing on the podium, not in their picture) is already enough to fit the crime. If that's not the extent of the punishment, then either he said more than that or there were other things and that's just the final straw.

I read that pawrestlerintn ate the last sticky bun at Iowa’s hotel.
And don’t ask for the source ffs..
not sure about any of you but this is firing me up just thinking about it.
I might tell the first woman I see to go F herself..
ok I’m back, it didn’t go well.. ragdolled in my own damn house.

Long got a 3rd chance from an Iowa school and blew that too.

Anyway, the criticism is that Terry exhibits poor self-control (and Tom allows it), which is a really poor example for DeSanto. To make Long a relevant comparison, Cael would've had to behave the same way Long eventually did -- which is to say do alcohol/drugs and sexually assault women in front of Long. That's ludicrous even by HR standards.

Nobody alleges that Terry did coke lines with Teasdale either -- that would be another relevant comparison. And equally idiotic.

Pretty sure TnTs NRA membership contributed to sam stoll being shot.

That's what happens with the whataboutism games.

We lose because we already lost. Which only serves to further divide us.

My job is working with students with autism. I teach Speech as well as Social Language. People have this impression that autism results in uncontrollable outbursts. That is very rare and is generally an issue related to an inability to properly communicate. IF DeSanto has autism, the Brands should have given him very clear instructions regarding actions and consequences. Threatening a woman has ZERO to do with autism and everything to do with bullying and entitlement. If the Brands had his best interest in mind he would serve a lengthy suspension or a dismissal. Any non-athlete who did what he did would most likely be in jail. Holding a kid with autism to a lower standard is probably the worst way to handle the situation.
I have a 30yr old son with autism, and I have worked with and know hundreds of autistic kids over the years. Your bold statement is only true of very mildly autistic people. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Austin himself said that he was not autistic. It drives me nuts when people who have NO training in this area (not talking SuperTodd, but others on this board and elsewhere) start speculating about a persons suspected diagnosis. If you don't know for sure, STFU. If you do know for sure, then STFU -- because that's none of your business.

Whatever happened, it didn't happen because he's autistic.
Okay, just have to say....
You don't know one way or the other.

My own autistic son was suspended from school after having an outburst and striking his teacher.
Now, what was the suspension for? hitting the teacher
What was the cause of the outburst? his difficulty in controlling his temper, mainly due to his autism

Don't pretend to be an expert, and don't tell me you know better.

Desanto might not have autism or he might have autism. If he does then you can punish him by requiring whatever help autistic kids need, If he doesnt have autism then he is just an asshole and needs to be removed indefinitely from college wrestling. Only get so many chances.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I have a 30yr old son with autism, and I have worked with and know hundreds of autistic kids over the years. Your bold statement is only true of very mildly autistic people. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Austin himself said that he was not autistic. It drives me nuts when people who have NO training in this area (not talking SuperTodd, but others on this board and elsewhere) start speculating about a persons suspected diagnosis. If you don't know for sure, STFU. If you do know for sure, then STFU -- because that's none of your business.

I agree, but it is pretty clear he doesn’t have severe autism, if he has it at all. I have worked with kids who have extreme outbursts. In a lot of cases, I would say the majority, when a kid has those type of outbursts we do our best to find out what he or she is trying to communicate and are successful. When the kid has an outlet to express themselves it almost seems like pressure is being released. I have definitely worked with kids who were so intensely sensitive to outside stimuli that it overwhelmed them, but I truly believe that there is a way to communicate with anyone if we work hard enough and try enough strategies until we find the right one. Maybe that’s wishful thinking or naïveté.

Okay, just have to say....
You don't know one way or the other.

My own autistic son was suspended from school after having an outburst and striking his teacher.
Now, what was the suspension for? hitting the teacher
What was the cause of the outburst? his difficulty in controlling his temper, mainly due to his autism

Don't pretend to be an expert, and don't tell me you know better.
We already HAD an expert come on here and tell you exactly what is up

Let it go, man. What is with all these wannabe doctors around here doing amateur-hour remote diagnoses?!? It’s rude to Austin and it’s embarrassing to yourself.
What's rude is threatening the life of someone after finishing a match, but yes, the over analyzing is getting out of hand

We already HAD an expert come on here and tell you exactly what is up
You want to push this further?

Who is the expert you're citing? What exactly is up and who says so? Someone who has the personal medical records of Austin DeSanto? Perhaps his own physician?

You'll have to prove your point a little better. I have a feeling that:
  • You don't know what you're talking about
  • It's not your place to make a definitive statement
  • Nor does it sit well for you to lecture people who have direct family connections to autistic individuals with your own amateur diagnosis from afar

I hope this turns out to be just for awhile. ADS is fun to watch and his on mat behavior this season has been very good. I know it has been speculated that he takes meds to help him, and the meds might make him feel very low energy and weak. I could see him skipping the meds so he could wrestle like and feel like himself again. I have a great nephew that has exactly this problem. He just doesn't happen to be lucky enough to wrestle on the big stage. I vote for giving him another chance, but I don't get to vote.
We had an eight year old come out for football one head. That the youngest at the time you could play. He was little af too maybe 50 pounds. Well he was a straight up wild man. We had to get on him tons of times to get his head up when he hit. Anyway he was knocking the crap out of anyone and everyone. Well one week comes by and he just doesn’t have it. He’s a completely different kid and honestly he wasn’t any good at all anymore. Well our HC had a good, crazy dude, had known his mom prior to this I belive but she asks him why he isn’t playing anymore. He tells her to get him off the damn meds and he will hahaha. The min said there was no way because he was absolutely uncontrollable at the house. I just thought this was a funny story and no doubt if someone has some sort of problem the medication can definitely affect the kid in some crazy ways.

The video looks like whatever he said he said to the man. I’m assuming the outrage would be a lot less if this is the case, fair or not.
Permant suspension would be way to harsh imo

I read that pawrestlerintn ate the last sticky bun at Iowa’s hotel.
And don’t ask for the source ffs..
not sure about any of you but this is firing me up just thinking about it.
I might tell the first woman I see to go F herself..
ok I’m back, it didn’t go well.. ragdolled in my own damn house.
But, now it's on the internet, so it must be true.

And, 100% MrsCstroke took you to the woodshed. 😅

I feel for ADS - I have children on the spectrum (as do some others who post on here). Corby from Rokfin podcast sounds like he works with kids on the spectrum. As I said, he’s spot on with regard to his criticism of Terry. The absolute worst way I could act with my kids to keep them calm and focused would be to act like Terry Brands.
I don’t mind Tom Brands. Intense? Sure. Rough around the edges? You bet. That said, he’s a heart on his sleeves guy who doesn’t make excuses and demands accountability of himself.

His brother, however, is often an out of control meathead. Sorry if that ruffles feathers.

this 100%. said it much better than I could have... Not sure how Terry still has a coaching job...

What's rude is threatening the life of someone after finishing a match, but yes, the over analyzing is getting out of hand
We don't know if he threatend someone's life. We only know that he was not allowed to participate in the awards ceremony. We can conclude that Austin was a bad boy, what we cannot conclude is what Austin did. Right now the only evidence regarding the threat is a twitter post by someone who is often wrong but sometimes does get it right.

We don't know if he threatend someone's life. We only know that he was not allowed to participate in the awards ceremony. We can conclude that Austin was a bad boy, what we cannot conclude is what Austin did. Right now the only evidence regarding the threat is a twitter post by someone who is often wrong but sometimes does get it right.
This thread had gone on far too long. It is time to shut it down or steer the conversation to the Iceland volcano. I suggest the former.

This is an honest question and not intended to flame, but has it ever actually been confirmed that ADS is on the spectrum? It seems all I’ve ever read is rumor and speculation. Thanks in advance for any information from legitimate sources.

How about when he tried deliberately to injure another wrestler? Was he just a bad boy then too?

Very glad you posted this. I'm not an authority on autism. That said, I deal with them on a weekly basis. In my world of farriery, I do a good number of therapeutic horses. They are specifically used for children with autism. You are absolutely correct regarding the degree of autism. It's not necessarily about being autistic, but about the frustration that comes with being autistic. It make some lash out due to that frustration. That's exactly why animals, particularly horses, are used for these children. It challenges them to think and progress, while still dealing with challenges. I've also seen a number of children lash out at the horses. Nothing frustrates a human more than a horse. It's precisely why these horses are so well trained and specifically selected for their tolerance of humans. Nothing puts a smile on the face of an autistic child like a horse. Well, other than my shoeing companion, my dog Joker. 🐕

This is an honest question and not intended to flame, but has it ever actually been confirmed that ADS is on the spectrum? It seems all I’ve ever read is rumor and speculation. Thanks in advance for any information from legitimate sources.
I have never seen this answered. Exactly why I've never speculated about him.

How about when he tried deliberately to injure another wrestler? Was he just a bad boy then too?
If you read my post you will see that I commented on the recent events at NCAA’s. I did not post anything regarding his past behavior which at times was bad. The event you referenced occurred while he was at Drexel.

Very glad you posted this. I'm not an authority on autism. That said, I deal with them on a weekly basis. In my world of farriery, I do a good number of therapeutic horses. They are specifically used for children with autism. You are absolutely correct regarding the degree of autism. It's not necessarily about being autistic, but about the frustration that comes with being autistic. It make some lash out due to that frustration. That's exactly why animals, particularly horses, are used for these children. It challenges them to think and progress, while still dealing with challenges. I've also seen a number of children lash out at the horses. Nothing frustrates a human more than a horse. It's precisely why these horses are so well trained and specifically selected for their tolerance of humans. Nothing puts a smile on the face of an autistic child like a horse. Well, other than my shoeing companion, my dog Joker. 🐕
This is so great. My younger boy just started hippotherapy and he had a blast. He had ridden once before - while the other kids shied away, he got right up on the horse (using steps), so we knew he would like it, but he was in heaven. They did a variety of motor skill games from the saddle including cornhole of a sort. He even wanted to go faster so they got the horse to trot. He periodically leaned forward and hugged the horse. He’s going back on Tuesday and I’m taking a vacation day to see it in person.
This was kind of a trial run for my older boy who is far more skittish. He recently was approved for a variety of free therapies, and hippotherapy was one of them. It might take some effort to get him in the saddle, but still.

Thanks for doing what you do and you hit the nail on the head with a lot of these kids re: their frustration. Imagine being trapped in your own mind having thoughts you want to express, but you can’t. It can be torture for my boys.

I was there (in that corner of MSG) to see ADS effort to injure Micic. 50+ years of watching college wrestling ..... and that remains a top 5 bad moment. Loved ADS up until that point. After coming to understand that he has behavioral issues (that he did not ask to be born with), I became more sympathetic. The Brands boys took ADS on after Drexel booted him. They knew full well what they were signing up for. In my opinion, the Brands “owe” it to Austin and the spectrum community to see this project through. Get him more help and keep getting him more help. Iowa got their Natty with ADS help. This poor guy is going to live his entire life with his inherited condition! The Univ. of Iowa should feel obligated to send Austin out into the world with the very best coping toolbox possible.
It was Cleveland to be exact.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
ADVERTISEMENT