ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto eligibility

And there it is... Source? Man I get hammered when I do and when I don't.. LoL
Because the source matters. If it comes from his mother on her Twitter account, it's one thing. If it comes from some random dude on a wrestling message board, it's another. As it is, when I see posts like yours (not only yours), I consider it "another," until the proof is in the pudding or the fat lady sings or whatever your favorite expression is.

This is a failure of the coaches and ADmin. If Austin is autistic and has those type of issues they know how to handle and protect him they failed. They know or should know if you get him that wound up to wrestle on the edge he’s not leveling out anytime soon. Then you have coaches who are probably in the spectrum by their own actions feeding it.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Has Desanto really been a problem? There seems to have been some sportsmanship issues (oddly worse when he wins vs loses) and whatever happened this year at nationals, but I don't think I have heard a laundry list of incidents linked to him.

This is a failure of the coaches and ADmin. If Austin is autistic and has those type of issues they know how to handle and protect him they failed. They know or should know if you get him that wound up to wrestle on the edge he’s not leveling out anytime soon. Then you have coaches who are probably in the spectrum by their own actions feeding it.
I'd say the Iowa coaches and administration have done an admirable job of working with Austin. Seems to me he has developed as a wrestler and a person, though he still has outbursts. At some point, the coaches and administrators have to draw a line and say they have done what they could.

It's not clear they are cutting ties, so we'll see what develops.

Has Desanto really been a problem? There seems to have been some sportsmanship issues (oddly worse when he wins vs loses) and whatever happened this year at nationals, but I don't think I have heard a laundry list of incidents linked to him.
My observation from a distance was improvement on his mat capers, which were never worthy of all the criticism he had received over the years imo.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, if DeSanto did what was alleged, he deserves to be punished, perhaps severely, especially considering his past history. On the other, he's apparently somewhere on the autism spectrum, and I have some sympathy for the challenges he faces. Not sure kicking him off the team (if true) is what's best for him...

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I hope this turns out to be just for awhile. ADS is fun to watch and his on mat behavior this season has been very good. I know it has been speculated that he takes meds to help him, and the meds might make him feel very low energy and weak. I could see him skipping the meds so he could wrestle like and feel like himself again. I have a great nephew that has exactly this problem. He just doesn't happen to be lucky enough to wrestle on the big stage. I vote for giving him another chance, but I don't get to vote.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, if DeSanto did what was alleged, he deserves to be punished, perhaps severely, especially considering his past history. On the other, he's apparently somewhere on the autism spectrum, and I have some sympathy for the challenges he faces. Not sure kicking him off the team (if true) is what's best for him...
Corby had it right on Rokfin. How do you punish Desanto but let Terry Brands just continually go apeshit? How is he setting any sort of example? The lack of crowds really let’s you hone in on his insanity.

I think it would be bad for him if they cut ties with Desanto. Yes he is a headcase. Not sure where on the autism scale he is but he sure is on it. The way he looks at his corner to make sure hes doing the right thing just seems a little off to me. They have made some great strides to keep his outbursts under control. Id say keep him at Iowa. Keep getting help. Brands seems to be helping him or getting the help he needs.

I think he spit on the mat in Minnesota 1-2 years ago and had a couple other minor issues between the kimura and the alleged threat made last weekend. It's a tough situation if he is autistic. If he said what's been mentioned on this board, that's a misdemeanor 1 in PA - not an insignificant crime and not something that should go unpunished by the school/program IMO. However, I would hope that every effort is made to keep him in that program and hopefully assist him in continuing to make improvements as it seemed his demeanor was improved this year.

38emms.jpg

After reading this thread it seems that some compassion, respect for medical privacy and the avoidance of conclusion jumping is in order. The harsh rhetoric, in the absence of facts, does not speak well for this Board.
Not how I read it. Yeah, there's some harsh rhetoric, but others have shown compassion and resisted the urge to jump to conclusions.

I think this is overblown. His worst offense that we have all seen was trying to inflict injury in a match 3 years ago. Noone was pleased with that, and it crosses a line where there are very few strikes left in the count.

If the rumors about what he said at Nationals are true (a point none of us can confirm) would any one really take this as a "serious" threat, as oppossed to a very I'll advised, spontaneous and irresponsible outburst?

I suspect the thing most valuable to Austin is his Wrestling. Bouncing him from the team temporarily will certainly reinforce not only the seriousness of his latest action, but also the potential consequences. I think that punishment sounds reasonable.

However, from my POV anything more than a 'temporary' removal from the team would seem to indicate there is more to the story. If there are aditional or repeated incidents we know nothing about, that then might be a different matter. Who knows, maybe every week in the room there is an incident they have to deal with and this is the last straw. Otherwise, dole out a reasonable punishment and grow from it.

So far the Iowa program has the look of providing significant benefit to Austin. We have seen a few glimpses of his frustration and maybe getting close to losing it a few times on the mat, but he has been able to control those when they happen. I would be both shocked, and disappointed for Austin if his career at Iowa were done.

ADVERTISEMENT