ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto eligibility

I do not know what happened and probably no one here knows exactly. But desanto needs hel and evidently brands seems to put winning above his mental state by their action before during and after big matches, but thats my opinion. All on them not desanto

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
After reading this thread it seems that some compassion, respect for medical privacy and the avoidance of conclusion jumping is in order. The harsh rhetoric, in the absence of facts, does not speak well for this Board.
I feel for ADS - I have children on the spectrum (as do some others who post on here). Corby from Rokfin podcast sounds like he works with kids on the spectrum. As I said, he’s spot on with regard to his criticism of Terry. The absolute worst way I could act with my kids to keep them calm and focused would be to act like Terry Brands.
I don’t mind Tom Brands. Intense? Sure. Rough around the edges? You bet. That said, he’s a heart on his sleeves guy who doesn’t make excuses and demands accountability of himself.

His brother, however, is often an out of control meathead. Sorry if that ruffles feathers.

Tom may be all what u said but the responsibility is all on him as head coach to reign in his coaches and athletes

Tom is the good cop, Terry, well, you know. I hope ADS gets the help he needs. He is an accomplish wrestler on a NC team, but life is more important than wrestling.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I think a suspension/ redshirt would be the way to go. He can’t keep getting off lightly, but his future is best served to stay at Iowa imo. Brands needs to worry about Desanto’s future, not just another title run. This is a very critical time for how Desanto’s life after college might play out.

I think a suspension/ redshirt would be the way to go. He can’t keep getting off lightly, but his future is best served to stay at Iowa imo. Brands needs to worry about Desanto’s future, not just another title run. This is a very critical time for how Desanto’s life after college might play out.
I think This, If in Fact he Actually said of what has been alleged ++++I want to Emphasize THIS IS ALEGEDLY++++ That is not something that can be taken lightly anymore. When most of us were kids, sure. However in todays age you have to take it very seriously. I don't want him to be kicked off the team, I want him to compete next year. I don't see how you can allow it though if this actually happened at the most important wrestling event of the year, theoretically in front of wrestling community witnesses.

I hope that is not what he said!! pretty much any other phrase could probably go away with the punishment already given. Though still not something I would want on PSU.

Last edited:
Corby had it right on Rokfin. How do you punish Desanto but let Terry Brands just continually go apeshit? How is he setting any sort of example? The lack of crowds really let’s you hone in on his insanity.
This +100

You didnt need a million words and cramped fingers to speak truth.

If ADs is suspended TnT should self suspend themselves

I think people here have responded pretty admirably.

I hope that Austin can get himself together, both in the short and long term, and continue to improve both as a person and as a wrestler. Why? Because, at the end of the day, this is college wrestling. That's it. Hopefully he (and every other college wrestler) is able to graduate and be a productive, positive member of society.

Kicking him off the team would be a disaster for him. While what he allegedly said was obviously NOT acceptable, I think that he's not beyond saving, and Tom Brands has a responsibility to do everything he can to help him. That said, having watched multiple matches where Terry can be heard, uh, "encouraging" their athlete, I don't think that Terry is the right person to help him. Some of the stuff that he regularly says is just insane (see: Brooks vs Brands match).

My fear is Desanto will be used for another title run, he will learn nothing about consequences or how to treat a woman, they will blame the disability for his actions, and he will end up in trouble in a few years. He needs serious help, not an offseason suspension.

• Haha
My fear is Desanto will be used for another title run, he will learn nothing about consequences or how to treat a woman, they will blame the disability for his actions, and he will end up in trouble in a few years. He needs serious help, not an offseason suspension.
Serious help IS a suspension. You do wrong, you get suspended, that's how things work in the real world.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, if DeSanto did what was alleged, he deserves to be punished, perhaps severely, especially considering his past history. On the other, he's apparently somewhere on the autism spectrum, and I have some sympathy for the challenges he faces. Not sure kicking him off the team (if true) is what's best for him...

My job is working with students with autism. I teach Speech as well as Social Language. People have this impression that autism results in uncontrollable outbursts. That is very rare and is generally an issue related to an inability to properly communicate. IF DeSanto has autism, the Brands should have given him very clear instructions regarding actions and consequences. Threatening a woman has ZERO to do with autism and everything to do with bullying and entitlement. If the Brands had his best interest in mind he would serve a lengthy suspension or a dismissal. Any non-athlete who did what he did would most likely be in jail. Holding a kid with autism to a lower standard is probably the worst way to handle the situation.

Not how I read it. Yeah, there's some harsh rhetoric, but others have shown compassion and resisted the urge to jump to conclusions.

Google "Austin DeSanto" autism, and there are zero hits other than message board posters supposing it's true.

This after his entire youth, HS, and college career.

Which means either:
1. He's not autistic
2. He is and the family wants it private
3. He is and the family doesn't want him to use it as an excuse.

Either way there is zero hard evidence. Only peoples' perceptions which may or may not be extrapolating their own experiences.

So there has been jumping to conclusions.

The only jumping to conclusions I can see is how people keep jumping to the conclusion that threatening someone's life is a result of autism. That's not only untrue but also a wild speculation that this kid actually HAS autism, which also had not been made public or is outright false. Either way, it's no excuse for what he said, or for his entire history of behavior.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Google "Austin DeSanto" autism, and there are zero hits other than message board posters supposing it's true.

This after his entire youth, HS, and college career.

Which means either:
1. He's not autistic
2. He is and the family wants it private
3. He is and the family doesn't want him to use it as an excuse.

Either way there is zero hard evidence. Only peoples' perceptions which may or may not be extrapolating their own experiences.

So there has been jumping to conclusions.
There's also zero evidence he told a lady he'd kill her.

Reactions: Kale_yeah
I thought he looked like he was showing improved sportsmanship this year. I hope he sticks at Iowa. I think it's obvious that he genuinely tries to improve as a person. As much as I dislike Iowa in general and their fans I respect all of their athletes. ADS is fun to watch.

This is a failure of the coaches and ADmin. If Austin is autistic and has those type of issues they know how to handle and protect him they failed. They know or should know if you get him that wound up to wrestle on the edge he’s not leveling out anytime soon. Then you have coaches who are probably in the spectrum by their own actions feeding it.
Ok I’ve seen this 1000 times and that is not an exaggeration. DeSanto claimed a few years ago he is not autistic... I take him at his word. Is there any definite proof this is true? His behavior... His actions... all opinions I mean was there an official announcement? If so my bad, if not stop the insanity (no pun intended).

Reactions: Fatmarc
I think it is pretty well established that he really can't be held to the same standard as your average student athlete, and I am sure Iowa knew this when they took him on. That said, the cynic in me has a hard time believing that he won't be there in black and gold next March.

Lets gooooo 141!!!! Come on closer to home.

It’s definitely a little to do about nothing tho. Nog biggie.

Having to answer questions about if he’s autistic is ridiculous. I can’t believe anyone would have the nerve to ask such a personal question.....well then again our media is terrible

Last edited:
As El-Jefe posted, it has never been confirmed if he is on the spectrum. Maybe he is and that is the cause of his outbursts, maybe he is just an ahole, maybe its both, maybe its neither or its something else.

Regarding any punishment Iowa may give DeSanto, people need to keep in mind that we are only aware of the public outbursts at competitions. We do not know if DeSanto has had any other behavioral problems in the room on campus, etc.

When Brands brought him in from Drexel where he was removed from the team, there were bound to be problems.

Lets gooooo 141!!!! Come on closer to home.

It’s definitely a little to do about nothing tho. Nog biggie.

Having to answer questions about if he’s autistic is ridiculous. I can’t believe anyone would have the nerve to ask such a personal question.....well then again our media is terrible

What does the media have to do with anything?

The media isn't doing the speculating, it's people on message boards.

As El-Jefe posted, it has never been confirmed if he is on the spectrum. Maybe he is and that is the cause of his outbursts, maybe he is just an ahole, maybe its both, maybe its neither or its something else.

Regarding any punishment Iowa may give DeSanto, people need to keep in mind that we are only aware of the public outbursts at competitions. We do not know if DeSanto has had any other behavioral problems in the room on campus, etc.

When Brands brought him in from Drexel where he was removed from the team, there were bound to be problems.
Was he removed from team or asked to be released to find a better place and better room for competition?

I can't find any links for it but it was definitely out there -- guessing it was Pyles on Twitter.

There were 2 major issues at nationals his freshman year. The first and most obvious was the Micic kimura. The other was in consis when he disagreed with the coach's decision to take bottom, melted down on the mat, blew a huge lead and didn't place, and then erupted at the coaches in front of the team.

He pretty much had to go after he blew up at the coaches. Can't have an athlete undermining the coaches no matter how good they are.

Plus they had issues with him at practice. Where PSU guys drill a lot, he wrestled 100% at all times -- beat up so many teammates that Azevado had to import practice partners.

Officially it was a mutual decision -- and DeSanto did need a tougher room -- but Drexel was done with him either way.

Is there anything easier than pretending that someone else's problem doesn't exist?
Sure. Pretending a loose cannon who makes violent threats toward reporters and shows zero sportsmanship toward opposition, does so because he is autistic, when not only has he not been officially diagnosed as autistic, but also no medical proof had been provided that autism leads to violent threats and outbursts.

I'm not a psychologist, but it's pretty clear that DeSanto has some problems with impulse control. He acts out his impulses before he takes the time to evaluate the consequences. I don't know if that is a symptom of autism, but I'm pretty sure that people can have that problem without being autistic.

As I mentioned in another thread after issuing the supposed threat, the woman that he was supposed to have threatened continued to walk near him in the same direction. That does not compute. Most people would stop and probably back up a few steps if they were threatened. I'm betting that he said something rude to her but it wasn't an outright threat. We shall see.

The absolute worst way I could act with my kids to keep them calm and focused would be to act like Terry Brands.
I don’t mind Tom Brands. Intense? Sure. Rough around the edges? You bet. That said, he’s a heart on his sleeves guy who doesn’t make excuses and demands accountability of himself.

His brother, however, is often an out of control meathead. Sorry if that ruffles feathers.

Terry Brands a bad role model? No, surely he understands good conduct and expects it of his wrestlers like he would of his own family. He would never let his own son scratch, or claw, or bite an opponent.

Oh, wait....

I think This, If in Fact he Actually said of what has been alleged ++++I want to Emphasize THIS IS ALEGEDLY++++ That is not something that can be taken lightly anymore. When most of us were kids, sure. However in todays age you have to take it very seriously. I don't want him to be kicked off the team, I want him to compete next year. I don't see how you can allow it though if this actually happened at the most important wrestling event of the year, theoretically in front of wrestling community witnesses.

I hope that is not what he said!! pretty much any other phrase could probably go away with the punishment already given. Though still not something I would want on PSU.
I have heard he actually said GFY...but did not threaten to kill anyone. My Source is not always reliable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT