DeSantis helping immigrants get special visas?

2lion70

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2004
This just shows how little MAGAites care about the law. They are blinded by ambition and hate.

Raw Story
Raw Story

A spectacular backfire? Ron DeSantis might have unwittingly helped migrants obtain special visas​

The estimated 50 migrants who were flown last week to Martha’s Vineyard on planes charted by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis may have a strong case to receive special visas as a result of the stunt, says a prominent immigration lawyer.

By having enticed the migrants to board the planes until false pretenses, those who lured them – including DeSantis – committed crimes that could qualify the migrants as victims under human trafficking laws, Elizabeth Ricci, whose practice is based in Tallahassee, Fla., told Raw Story.

“Massachusetts officials are looking into criminal action against Ron DeSantis, which would be helpful because that means they would also be willing to sign off that these were, in fact, victims of crime by having been transported under false pretenses”, Ricci said. “Law enforcement does need to sign off for purposes of U Visa eligibility, which is what I believe these immigrants are eligible for. So that's encouraging.”

A U Visa is a special non-immigrant status established by the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act of 2000. It was designed to protect immigrants who were victimized by crimes, and Ricci said this case falls directly under the definition of trafficking. Enforcement can come at the federal, state or local level, she said.

IN OTHER NEWS: Trump lawyers say his handwritten notes on top secret documents mean they fall under executive privilege

Ricci said DeSantis unintentionally helped make the case publicly for why the migrants were victims as designed by human trafficking laws.

“DeSantis recently said in a press conference that (the migrants) were told that they would have better lives and jobs when they landed,” Ricci said. “Part of the definition of trafficking under federal and state law is enticement for a better life or jobs. There are other possibilities, too, but in this case, “better life and jobs” was actually what they were told and that falls directly into the definition of trafficking.

“The irony is that these families could actually receive U visas as a result of this, and U Visas lead to permanent residency, which leads to citizenship. So wouldn't that be ironic for them to legalize and become citizens as a result of DeSantis’ actions?”

Ricci acknowledged there is little chance of DeSantis personally getting prosecuted for his actions – “we all know the Governor dismisses those from office with whom he disagrees” – but she added that the migrants have a strong chance of having law enforcement officials initiate the steps they need to apply for a U Visa.

READ: Trump faces threat that 11th circuit might 'shut down' motions that go nowhere

“From what I’m hearing it seems like there are many officials from local all the way up to Congressional from Massachusetts who are enraged by this political ploy,” Ricci said. “So, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a number of options of law enforcement officers to choose from.”

Ricci said she had read the consent orders that were signed by the migrants. “I didn’t see anything in the orders that would absolve Florida and Texas from anything material” as to human trafficking. The waivers might cover something that happened to them in transit but didn’t speak to this issue of whether they were lured through false pretenses.

“The consent form might absolve the state from liability for an injury (someone tripped on a suitcase in the aisle and broke their ankle-although doubtful because a plane is a common carrier), but not from a criminal act such as trafficking,” Ricci said.

“It’s like if I said to you, ‘Get in my car so we can go for you to pay the drug dealer for the three tons of drugs I’m buying but if we get in an accident on the way, you can’t hold me responsible for criminal charges from conspiracy to sell drugs.’ It doesn’t work that way.”

But even if DeSantis would gain the dubious distinction of becoming the first governor whose own misconduct resulted in citizenship for immigrants he was trying to keep out, would he care? Here’s Ricci’s take:

“I think it's more to help himself politically, but I do think there is an element of malice here.”

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
This just shows how little MAGAites care about the law. They are blinded by ambition and hate.

Raw Story
Raw Story

A spectacular backfire? Ron DeSantis might have unwittingly helped migrants obtain special visas​

The estimated 50 migrants who were flown last week to Martha’s Vineyard on planes charted by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis may have a strong case to receive special visas as a result of the stunt, says a prominent immigration lawyer.

By having enticed the migrants to board the planes until false pretenses, those who lured them – including DeSantis – committed crimes that could qualify the migrants as victims under human trafficking laws, Elizabeth Ricci, whose practice is based in Tallahassee, Fla., told Raw Story.

“Massachusetts officials are looking into criminal action against Ron DeSantis, which would be helpful because that means they would also be willing to sign off that these were, in fact, victims of crime by having been transported under false pretenses”, Ricci said. “Law enforcement does need to sign off for purposes of U Visa eligibility, which is what I believe these immigrants are eligible for. So that's encouraging.”

A U Visa is a special non-immigrant status established by the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act of 2000. It was designed to protect immigrants who were victimized by crimes, and Ricci said this case falls directly under the definition of trafficking. Enforcement can come at the federal, state or local level, she said.

IN OTHER NEWS: Trump lawyers say his handwritten notes on top secret documents mean they fall under executive privilege

Ricci said DeSantis unintentionally helped make the case publicly for why the migrants were victims as designed by human trafficking laws.

“DeSantis recently said in a press conference that (the migrants) were told that they would have better lives and jobs when they landed,” Ricci said. “Part of the definition of trafficking under federal and state law is enticement for a better life or jobs. There are other possibilities, too, but in this case, “better life and jobs” was actually what they were told and that falls directly into the definition of trafficking.

“The irony is that these families could actually receive U visas as a result of this, and U Visas lead to permanent residency, which leads to citizenship. So wouldn't that be ironic for them to legalize and become citizens as a result of DeSantis’ actions?”

Ricci acknowledged there is little chance of DeSantis personally getting prosecuted for his actions – “we all know the Governor dismisses those from office with whom he disagrees” – but she added that the migrants have a strong chance of having law enforcement officials initiate the steps they need to apply for a U Visa.

READ: Trump faces threat that 11th circuit might 'shut down' motions that go nowhere

“From what I’m hearing it seems like there are many officials from local all the way up to Congressional from Massachusetts who are enraged by this political ploy,” Ricci said. “So, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a number of options of law enforcement officers to choose from.”

Ricci said she had read the consent orders that were signed by the migrants. “I didn’t see anything in the orders that would absolve Florida and Texas from anything material” as to human trafficking. The waivers might cover something that happened to them in transit but didn’t speak to this issue of whether they were lured through false pretenses.

“The consent form might absolve the state from liability for an injury (someone tripped on a suitcase in the aisle and broke their ankle-although doubtful because a plane is a common carrier), but not from a criminal act such as trafficking,” Ricci said.

“It’s like if I said to you, ‘Get in my car so we can go for you to pay the drug dealer for the three tons of drugs I’m buying but if we get in an accident on the way, you can’t hold me responsible for criminal charges from conspiracy to sell drugs.’ It doesn’t work that way.”

But even if DeSantis would gain the dubious distinction of becoming the first governor whose own misconduct resulted in citizenship for immigrants he was trying to keep out, would he care? Here’s Ricci’s take:

“I think it's more to help himself politically, but I do think there is an element of malice here.”

Do you think those illegal immigrants were ever going home?

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
TL;DR version of the story:

An attorney who makes a living off illegal immigrants is speaking out to get new clients.

junior1

May 29, 2001

Raw Story
Raw Story

I'm always amazed at how people who were not there and have no first hand knowledge of the facts can write "factually" about what happened. I wasn't there either and all I can go by are the news reports that come out on the issue. I do know that there was one telemundo reporter who interviewed some of the illegals in massachusetts and they thanked Ron Desantis. Now maybe those illegals were somehow coerced into making that statement, but a telemundo reporter wouldn't lie, would she?
Desantis says that each of the illegals signed a release before getting on the plane. Is he lying also? I don't know. The analogy about getting in a car and drugs seems a little far fetched to me.
But, in todays legal world where we have no cash bail and criminals are back on the streets before their victims get out of the hospital, I guess anything is possible.

junior1

May 29, 2001
50 illegals getting into the country is worth it to show the hypocrisy of the elitist leftist scum.
they were never going back anyway. It seems ICE has been called off deportations unless you are a criminal

BoulderFish

Oct 31, 2016

Raw Story
Raw Story

Why again is that a bad thing?

junior1

May 29, 2001
Why again is that a bad thing?
well, if we cared about the law we would be rounding up all the "gotaways", those who failed to show for their hearings and those whose requests for amnesty were denied but they are still living in the country.
Remember, no one is above the law....but somehow we seem to selectively enforce the existing laws.
Preaching about enforcing immigration laws by those on the left is somewhat laughable.

Pardlion

Nov 10, 2014

Raw Story
Raw Story

Why would they need a visa? The border is open.

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010

Raw Story
Raw Story

I think they should get special visas so they can be next door neighbors to the Obamas. One of those big mansions should house 50 illegals very comfortably.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I'm always amazed at how people who were not there and have no first hand knowledge of the facts can write "factually" about what happened. I wasn't there either and all I can go by are the news reports that come out on the issue. I do know that there was one telemundo reporter who interviewed some of the illegals in massachusetts and they thanked Ron Desantis. Now maybe those illegals were somehow coerced into making that statement, but a telemundo reporter wouldn't lie, would she?
Desantis says that each of the illegals signed a release before getting on the plane. Is he lying also? I don't know. The analogy about getting in a car and drugs seems a little far fetched to me.
But, in todays legal world where we have no cash bail and criminals are back on the streets before their victims get out of the hospital, I guess anything is possible.
I talked to a telomundo reporter once off the record about a local case. Very nice woman and she spent a lot of time discussing it with me.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001

Raw Story
Raw Story

i swear you guys just make stuff up. DeSantis made Biden, Harris, NYC and Matha's Vinyard look like complete idiots. Just take the L and move on.

Jm0hcyg.gif

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
i swear you guys just make stuff up. DeSantis made Biden, Harris, NYC and Matha's Vinyard look like complete idiots. Just take the L and move on.

Jm0hcyg.gif
I think the people that took the L would be the citizens of Florida.

Desantis used Florida taxpayer money to fly migrants from one GOP governed state(Texas) to another GOP governed state(Mass.). I'm sure the citizens in Florida would like their money back.

• Love
Reactions: franklinman

junior1

May 29, 2001
I think the people that took the L would be the citizens of Florida.

Desantis used Florida taxpayer money to fly migrants from one GOP governed state(Texas) to another GOP governed state(Mass.). I'm sure the citizens in Florida would like their money back.
Citizen of Florida here, we’re good with desantis action. $12 million was appropriated for moving illegal immigrants. Think we have at least $11 million left to go!

Reactions: BoulderFish

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
Citizen of Florida here, we’re good with desantis action. $12 million was appropriated for moving illegal immigrants. Think we have at least $11 million left to go!

$12 million was appropriated for moving illegal immigrants.

That money was appropriated for Desantis to move immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts?

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
DeSantis wasn't out to help or harm the immigrants, he was out to goad the powerful into making themselves looks awful. And he succeeded 100%.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
It occurs to me that there is an every better way to phrase what DeSantis did. What he did was, speak truth to power. That's it. The reaction you see to it is the reaction of power when truth is spoken to it. They do not like it.

BoulderFish

Oct 31, 2016
$12 million was appropriated for moving illegal immigrants.

That money was appropriated for Desantis to move immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts?

It was appropriated to help immigrants get to places that are a better situation for them. Doesn't necessarily have to be immigrants in FL (Like humanitarian relief).

They are not welcome/wanted in Texas and Florida - They are correctly considered to be breaking the law in those states. But, but they are welcome in Massachusetts and MV. Well, at least MV said they were (until some actually showed up).