ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

I'm expecting Sanders to have a breakout year, but Swift is probably in a better position to succeed at this point in time. That Georgia o-line is going to be dominant.

My prediction for Sanders is 9-10 100 yard rushing games and 1500+ rushing yards. He's going to be exciting to watch. He probably would have been the starter last year on all but 4 or 5 other FBS teams.
Good point about Swift. I periodically listen to 680 "the fan" radio station in North Atlanta which is the GA Bulldogs flagship station. All the announcers and experts are "all in" that Swift will have a tremendous year. Also that Georgia will dominate the SEC East at least for the next 2-3 years since both Florida and Tennessee are rebuilding with new coaches and the East overall being down. Most feel the Bulldogs will be undefeated in 2018 until they meet Alabama in the SEC championship game. Oh, and they simply have better talent than anyone in the East! Can you say dominant? As I'm listening I keep wishing that Penn State had that schedule versus the scary reality of the Big 10 East.

Saban has practically gotten all of the good coaches fired out of the sec. Most of the replacements have not been of the same quality. Right now, it's Alabama and her 13 bitches with UGA knocking on the door. Poor Auburn. Win the battle, and big brother is still National champ.

I’m glad we have Stevens for next year but these predictions he will be a top draft pick are based on what. He has never played a meaningful down at QB. Lot of hype because he ran over an Iowa player at the goaline. Most of his successful plays could have been executed by any number of skill players.

Again, I’m happy we have him.

I think it's based on several things. First are his measurables. 6'5" 240lbs Very athletic with a big arm. Second is that, if you believe Franklin, Trace and Tommy were neck and neck in the QB competition. If you are neck and neck with a QB like Trace, then you may be a pretty good QB. Third is Franklin saying his best recruit he landed last year was keeping Tommy from transferring. If the coach is that high on him, I see no reason why we shouldn't be high on him. Fourth is his attitude. He is a great team player and looks like he could become a great team leader next year. Put that all together while hoping for the best gives people a reason to be excited about Tommy's future.

I think it's based on several things. First are his measurables. 6'5" 240lbs Very athletic with a big arm. Second is that, if you believe Franklin, Trace and Tommy were neck and neck in the QB competition. If you are neck and neck with a QB like Trace, then you may be a pretty good QB. Third is Franklin saying his best recruit he landed last year was keeping Tommy from transferring. If the coach is that high on him, I see no reason why we shouldn't be high on him. Fourth is his attitude. He is a great team player and looks like he could become a great team leader next year. Put that all together while hoping for the best gives people a reason to be excited about Tommy's future.

Yep, neck and neck in camp competition. But after that Trace excelled consistently in GAMES that count. Wheras Stevens is still a complete unknown in actual games that count. I love his potential, but that is what it is right now, potential.

Franklin saying his best recruit he landed last year was keeping Tommy from transferring. If the coach is that high on him, I see no reason why we shouldn't be

Read between the lines. You don't want your most experienced back up QB transferring out before your '19 campaign leaving two FR and walk ons as your only options. It's management. Good management at that.

That's right. Tommy and Trace were neck and neck at the end of the Hackenberg era. And that was before Tommy got bigger and stronger. Franklin, when asked by Tommy, was non-specific about where he needed to improve to get the starting job. This suggests that the choice was based on history -- Trace's success in high school, time on campus, and perhaps his loyalty in following Franklin to PSU. If two are even I might have made the same choice at the time, but I would have given the "backup" more opportunities for game experience.

Since then Trace got all the benefits of experience, even late in games when the outcome was in hand. The fact that he wasn't pulled (until VERY LATE) tells me that they decided to bank on Trace and take the risk that he would not get hurt. Paterno used to do the same.

Tommy got the benefit of our strength and conditioning program, whereas Trace seems to have plateaued physically. In the limited plays we have seen of Tommy he looks nothing like he did as a freshman, running in games or throwing in scrimmage. He could be like a Ben Roethlisberger at the next level -- not overly fast, but tough to bring down. That is what you want in a pro-style NFL QB, someone who can extend pass plays. In a way I'm reminded of Kerry Collins, who to me did not look that impressive when throwing as a freshman. It makes sense that bigger kids have more potential but also tend to take more time to mature physically.

I'll look at what has transpired in a positive way. The Lion Position could be a good place to develop Roethlisberger-like toughness.

We will find out soon enough. I like both kids -- for different reasons. But I do think that this is the kind of offense where there is often a need for more than one QB with experience. For whatever reason, we have only one QB with much experience.

ADVERTISEMENT