ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

@BBrown

In the post you didn't ask for (but is pretty cool) here is a clip of us using that look in action:

Base Nickle

Nickle with the "4-3 Over" wrinkle (Reid is lined up on the line in what looks like 9i shade there)

^ I know that wasn't the exact scenario I laid out as OSU is in an 11 personnel there but illustrates the point of how creative Pry is with the defense. Defensively we are a lot of fun to watch.
except of course when they aren't...

I can show you essentially the same play vs the essentially the same defense vs USC in the Rose bowl if you. like

except of course when they aren't...

I can show you essentially the same play vs the essentially the same defense vs USC in the Rose bowl if you. like

I get the point you're trying to make but, that's a different package, it's actually our base with an over look (Farmer was SAM last year not Star). We are aware of the play when we almost bring Darnold down, the ball is tipped, and Schwan is just a hair too far inside. That is more of a freak play than poor defensive scheme.

Also, the series you are exemplifying with OSU is right after we forced a fumble and the offense went three and out and then our punt was blocked. Defensively, that game we actually played really well.

I get the point you're trying to make but, that's a different package, it's actually our base with an over look (Farmer was SAM last year not Star). We are aware of the play when we almost bring Darnold down, the ball is tipped, and Schwan is just a hair too far inside. That is more of a freak play than poor defensive scheme.

Also, the series you are exemplifying with OSU is right after we forced a fumble and the offense went three and out and then our punt was blocked. Defensively, that game we actually played really well.
package shmackage, thats irrelevant what package is on the field, you said they were fun to watch.
almost bring Darnold down? where? ball tipped? show me Schwan a hair late? really? Freak play? what is freaky is we called the same D, the next season with the game on the line vs OSU and guess what? OSU got the same result as USC!! This was a freak play,?? it came from proper game study and knowing what and how we play things.
The scheme isn't poor, I'll agree, but you have to rep the play and make sure someone is controlling the middle, which we failed to do 2 years in a row!! One would think they would learn.

package shmackage, thats irrelevant what package is on the field, you said they were fun to watch.
almost bring Darnold down? where? ball tipped? show me Schwan a hair late? really? Freak play? what is freaky is we called the same D, the next season with the game on the line vs OSU and guess what? OSU got the same result as USC!! This was a freak play,?? it came from proper game study and knowing what and how we play things.
The scheme isn't poor, I'll agree, but you have to rep the play and make sure someone is controlling the middle, which we failed to do 2 years in a row!! One would think they would learn.

So yeah, package matters a ton as it’s the defensive and offensive personnel on the field. Down, distance, hash, tendencies all play into what players defense wants to field. In both clips you are showing two different looks, none of which are the particular look I was talking about so I don’t quite understand the point you’re trying to drive home?

Your response had nothing to do with my post. As usual.

My comment was questioning where a couple of players that have been in the program and reportedly had some talent stood in relation to a true freshman. One of those players, Butler, was a transfer who reportedly played very well at his former school before transferring, reportedly to get a chance to play up.

You might try reading what you are responding to before responding....

They obviously feel Trent Gordon is ahead of those two going into the season, but as there have not been any info on injuries to them, that does not speak well for them moving into playing time. Especially for Butler, a redshirt Junior.

Butler is a walkon from a small school.

The depth chart is about as real as Santa Clause.

Trent Gordon will likely not see the field this year.

So yeah, package matters a ton as it’s the defensive and offensive personnel on the field. Down, distance, hash, tendencies all play into what players defense wants to field. In both clips you are showing two different looks, none of which are the particular look I was talking about so I don’t quite understand the point you’re trying to drive home?
You said defensively we are fun to watch , I just said until we aren't ( fun to watch defensively) that's all
Btw I think they are playing the same D in both clips. A form of 'Tampa 2' with two guys back on the hash being very aggressive w the outside receivers and someone else controlling the middle of the field if someone runs down the middle otherwise that player plays short. Sure they may have people different people back on hashes, but that was only to take advantage of certain skill sets of our players

Last edited:
I believe he will see the field with the new redshirt rules. If they get a chance he will see some action as he can play in 4 games and not burn his redshirt.
If any Freshman are ready we will see them at some point during the season as it makes no sense to not play them at all.

You said defensively we are fun to watch , I just said until we aren't ( fun to watch defensively) that's all
Btw I think they are playing the same D in both clips. A form of 'Tampa 2' with two guys back on the hash being very aggressive w the outside receivers and someone else controlling the middle of the field if someone runs down the middle otherwise that player plays short. Sure they may have people different people back on hashes, but that was only to take advantage of certain skill sets of our players

Yes, but neither clip is referencing the package and my clips aren't in a Tampa coverage. You're just cherry-picking scoring plays and using hindsight to make a point you don't like Tampa?

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Butler is a walkon from a small school.

The depth chart is about as real as Santa Clause.

Butler played at Bishop Gorman in Vegas also....not exactly a small school and had as much talent as IMG the last few years. They were very high on Gordon when he arrived, but that buzz has died off. I imagine most frosh short of an injury "could" see some time with that 4 game buffer they have, but the schedule is soft early and late....the meat of it is tough every week. So basically if it doesn't occur early on, it won't be until RU and UMD if at all.

Can't help but be a little disappointed in L.Wade, being a 5 star recruit.
Wade is not a surprise to me. He was overhyped in high school. He played for a small high school against low level competition. He is a good player who will contribute at Penn State. He isn't Deon Sanders.

Reactions: psuro
Of the incoming freshmen, Pinegar is 1st team, Parsons is 2nd team, and several are listed as 3rd team.

The depth of talent on this team is impressive. I can see CJF's point about how this team has a different "look" to it.
The talent is impressive and the team is very young. We will be better in 2019 and better still in 2020. This year will be great but the future is even better.

Reactions: djr4rebs
The talent is impressive and the team is very young. We will be better in 2019 and better still in 2020. This year will be great but the future is even better.

Eh, every year poses new challenges. In both '19 and '20 we'll very likely be going with a new QB. Not always a seamless transition. This team has the athletes to compete with anyone and 3rd year starter at the most important position on the field. IMHO the future is right now.

Eh, every year poses new challenges. In both '19 and '20 we'll very likely be going with a new QB. Not always a seamless transition. This team has the athletes to compete with anyone and 3rd year starter at the most important position on the field. IMHO the future is right now.
I agree that the future is now and this will be a great year. The only significant difference next year will be Stevens replacing Trace. My opinion is that Stevens is more skilled than Trace and will not be an inexperienced replacement. I expect Stevens to get plenty of playing time this year. I expect Stevens to be drafted in the first or second round of the NFL draft and have a long NFL career. This will be a great year. Next year we should be in the hunt for the national championship. I really expect that in 2019 we will be ranked in the top 3 at the start of the season.

I agree that the future is now and this will be a great year. The only significant difference next year will be Stevens replacing Trace. My opinion is that Stevens is more skilled than Trace and will not be an inexperienced replacement. I expect Stevens to get plenty of playing time this year. I expect Stevens to be drafted in the first or second round of the NFL draft and have a long NFL career. This will be a great year. Next year we should be in the hunt for the national championship. I really expect that in 2019 we will be ranked in the top 3 at the start of the season.

I guess it all depends on what one thinks of Trace. I think he's one of the best QBs (and winners) that we've ever had and that replacing him will be no small feat. But honestly, I hope you're right.

I guess it all depends on what one thinks of Trace. I think he's one of the best QBs (and winners) that we've ever had and that replacing him will be no small feat. But honestly, I hope you're right.

Yep, Trace puts the ball on target. His completion percentage wins games.

I love the potential that TS has shown. But we won't know how consistently he can put the ball on the money until he takes over full time QB play.

Wimbush is a great athlete as well and was highly recruited. But he can not seem to put the ball on target, with his low completion percentage contributing to ND underachieving.

But I am optimistic as well that Stevens can lead the team to a big season in 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madsol
Yes, but neither clip is referencing the package and my clips aren't in a Tampa coverage. You're just cherry-picking scoring plays and using hindsight to make a point you don't like Tampa?
I know neither clips reference your package, you said the D is fun to watch, I agreed, up to the point it isnt (fun to watch) I actually love Tampa 2 or whatever you want to call. I think it is a great coverage. I prefer the guy controlling the middle to be some sort of DB (S, C etc) as opposed to a LBer, but you can run it either way. I think, but I dont know for sure, we dont rep it enough to use it in the 4th qtr with the game on the line. Thats all.
The reason I 'cherry' pick these plays is because of my last thought. Do we run this enough to call this D in the 4th qtr with the game on the line? And as mentioned, from they way they play it, it does not appear to me this is the case. If instead, they had gone Man free, something they play alot, and get beat, well then, they beat you and you didnt beat yourself.
FWIW I see the same thing on O. I really wonder why we had to run power read coming off the goal line. I think that is a middle of the field play, in the free wheeling zone. Down there (coming out) you cant have a negative play, imo, so dont put your self in that position. You could run a play that gains nothing and be 2-10, hey you can live with that, but not 2-17 coming out.

Of course they make the big bucks, and pay them like brain surgeons so what do I know. But I do know what gets you ass beat, so I try to stay away from that.

Boy I cannot wait to watch Miles Sanders this year. I think he without question rushes for more yards this year than Saquon did last year.

Consider:
- #1 RB recruit 2 years ago and hasn't been given a heavy workload since. Lots of tread on the tires.
- Spent the last 2 years learning from one of the most talented backs to ever play in the Big Ten
- Will be playing behind our most experienced/talented offensive line since?
- He won't be carrying as much weight on his shoulders as Barkley had to. With Trace and plenty of playmakers on offense (Johnson probably the most physically gifted receiver in the conference), he may get to run against some pretty soft boxes.

Meanwhile, when looking at a guy like Bryce Love at Stanford, I think he will take a step backward this year because the success of the team will be 100% contingent on him.

The same thing goes for Jonathan Taylor at Wisconsin. Wisconsin loses their top TE/pass catcher from last year and your top receiver gets suspended for the 2018 season. Combine this with a QB who hasn't proven to be anything better than average (24/15 TD/INT), and I think Taylor has too heavy of a work load.

All things considered, I think Sanders might be in the best position to succeed of any RB in the country.

Boy I cannot wait to watch Miles Sanders this year. I think he without question rushes for more yards this year than Saquon did last year.

Consider:
- #1 RB recruit 2 years ago and hasn't been given a heavy workload since. Lots of tread on the tires.
- Spent the last 2 years learning from one of the most talented backs to ever play in the Big Ten
- He won't be carrying as much weight on his shoulders as Barkley had to. With Trace and plenty of playmakers on offense (Johnson probably the most physically gifted receiver in the conference), he may get to run against some pretty soft boxes.

Meanwhile, when looking at a guy like Bryce Love at Stanford, I think he will take a step backward this year because the success of the team will be 100% contingent on him.

The same thing goes for Jonathan Taylor at Wisconsin. Wisconsin loses their top TE/pass catcher from last year and your top receiver gets suspended for the 2018 season. Combine this with a QB who hasn't proven to be anything better than average (24/15 TD/INT), and I think Taylor has too heavy of a work load.

All things considered, I think Sanders might be in the best position to succeed of any RB in the country.

I am also optimistic about Sanders. I think he'll do a good job with ball security and be a respectable blocker (not as good as Barkley). It will be interesting to see if we continue using the Moorehead offense or if Rahne will make some changes. The RPO created some big plays but also too many 2-4 yard losses.

IMO the biggest challenge on offense will be replacing Hamilton. He had great hands and did an exceptional job using his body to ward off defenders. Next is replacing Gesicki. McSorley was able to throw the ball very high and Gesicki would go up and get it.

The OL should be the best since___? I'd like to say 1994 but we expected a huge improvement last year and that didn't happen. We'll have to sait and see.

Reactions: 83wuzme and PSUoh90
I think Trace has been the most productive QB ever to play at PSU. More productive than Collins, Blackledge, etc. However, Stevens is the perfect pro QB. He is taller than Trace, has a better arm than Trace, and is a better runner than Trace in my opinion. I look for Stevens to be like Brady -- OK in college but a superstar in the pros. I look for Trace to be like Blackledge -- great in college but so-so in the pros.

Reactions: JohnnyZang

Consider:

Don't know about the other recruiting services, but Miles was the #1 "All Purpose Back" per Rivals in the Class of 2016. He was not the #1 "Running Back." That distinction went to B.J. Emmons at Alabama. Emmons was #33 within the Rivals 100 and Sanders was #39. That said, between the two, given our offense, I would take the better run/pass combo back. That would be Miles.

Don't know about the other recruiting services, but Miles was the #1 "All Purpose Back" per Rivals in the Class of 2016. He was not the #1 "Running Back." That distinction went to B.J. Emmons at Alabama. Emmons was #33 within the Rivals 100 and Sanders was #39. That said, between the two, given our offense, I would take the better run/pass combo back. That would be Miles.

#1 RB on 247

https://247sports.com/Player/Miles-Sanders-27217

Reactions: diggerpup
Outside of the TD to Blacknall, where have you seen his arm? B&W game? Practice? It is very hard for me to say much about his throwing ability when 1) I have not seen much of it and 2) he tucks and runs 75% of his live game garbage time snaps.

Love his potential. Need to see more.
Amazing praise is being heaped on Stevens for a guy we have never seen manage a passing game

Help me with this.

You believe Tommy Stevens will be one of the first....64 players drafted in the 2020 NFL Draft? A guy who can't start on his college team, and has sat behind the same quarterback for the last 3 years. At this time, no disernable game tape to determine if he can read defenses, withstand game pressure or any other attributes that a quarterback must have? And next year will be a magic year that all of a sudden the light bulb goes on for all the NFL GMs?

I know neither clips reference your package, you said the D is fun to watch, I agreed, up to the point it isnt (fun to watch) I actually love Tampa 2 or whatever you want to call. I think it is a great coverage. I prefer the guy controlling the middle to be some sort of DB (S, C etc) as opposed to a LBer, but you can run it either way. I think, but I dont know for sure, we dont rep it enough to use it in the 4th qtr with the game on the line. Thats all.
The reason I 'cherry' pick these plays is because of my last thought. Do we run this enough to call this D in the 4th qtr with the game on the line? And as mentioned, from they way they play it, it does not appear to me this is the case. If instead, they had gone Man free, something they play alot, and get beat, well then, they beat you and you didnt beat yourself.
FWIW I see the same thing on O. I really wonder why we had to run power read coming off the goal line. I think that is a middle of the field play, in the free wheeling zone. Down there (coming out) you cant have a negative play, imo, so dont put your self in that position. You could run a play that gains nothing and be 2-10, hey you can live with that, but not 2-17 coming out.

Of course they make the big bucks, and pay them like brain surgeons so what do I know. But I do know what gets you ass beat, so I try to stay away from that.

Your argument is contradictory - if we are in man free and get beat, that's okay, but if we are in a Tampa coverage and get beat it's different? We run a variety of different coverage packages (we ran Tampa a lot the last 4 years) sometimes offenses can correctly predict what a defense is going to do.

This defense is fun to watch, we run a multitude of personnel and schemes with a high propensity to blitz. Will other teams score? Yes. Even the '85 Bears had games where teams put up points. For the large large large majority of plays, our defense does a good job and our DC thinks outside the box.

Your argument is contradictory - if we are in man free and get beat, that's okay, but if we are in a Tampa coverage and get beat it's different? We run a variety of different coverage packages (we ran Tampa a lot the last 4 years) sometimes offenses can correctly predict what a defense is going to do.

This defense is fun to watch, we run a multitude of personnel and schemes with a high propensity to blitz. Will other teams score? Yes. Even the '85 Bears had games where teams put up points. For the large large large majority of plays, our defense does a good job and our DC thinks outside the box.
its not contradictory, I think we play alot more man free than Tampa 2, but I dont have a defensive chart to know for sure, just an observation. So with the game on the line I would rather play a defense we know well, than one that is not always used. That's all. Of course teams will score, and if they earn they earn it, I just dont like giving up the cheap ones because not all 11 guys are on the same page.

If you re watch the OSU game, on one of their 4 th qtr drives, we are in man free, the WR goes in, and comes back out, our guy has a hard time recovering coming out of the break. OSU catches a pass. Those things happen, I understand that.

Help me with this.

You believe Tommy Stevens will be one of the first....64 players drafted in the 2020 NFL Draft? A guy who can't start on his college team, and has sat behind the same quarterback for the last 3 years. At this time, no disernable game tape to determine if he can read defenses, withstand game pressure or any other attributes that a quarterback must have? And next year will be a magic year that all of a sudden the light bulb goes on for all the NFL GMs?

Though I think there is a good chance he could go in the first two rounds, I would take that bet if extended through Round 4.

Tommy has the measurables that the NFL craves. We saw that with Hackenberg. He continues to get bigger and stronger. At the time Trace and Tommy were competing for the starting job, the only thing Trace had on Tommy was an extra year in college and a history of winning that Franklin could point to in making the choice. Trace also followed Franklin to PSU after being committed to Vanderbilt. So while it is easy to see why Trace is still the starter after three years of success, that doesn't make Tommy any less of a quarterback. It just says Franklin doesn't want to disrupt a good thing with the current team. Both are considered good leaders.

Tommy will have a big year in 2019 by virtue of being surrounded by an experienced OL and lots of elite playmakers. The only thing not working in his favor will be the road schedule, but he seems to have the kind of nerve that it will take to play through those games with poise.

So yea, I'm giving it better than 50:50 he goes in the first 4 rounds, with a good chance of going in the first two. I've gone out on a limb in previous posts writing that he will be drafted higher than Trace, who to me seems to have plateaued physically. Of course, this is all just my own uninformed prognostication. It is based on what I see as a higher plateau at the next level. I'm sure there are many who believe that Trace will go in the first two rounds. So this is not a stretch based on how the NFL tends to view quarterbacks. There is a learning process no matter what they did in college.

Though I think there is a good chance he could go in the first two rounds, I would take that bet if extended through Round 4.

Tommy has the measurables that the NFL craves. We saw that with Hackenberg. He continues to get bigger and stronger. At the time Trace and Tommy were competing for the starting job, the only thing Trace had on Tommy was an extra year in college and a history of winning that Franklin could point to in making the choice. Trace also followed Franklin to PSU after being committed to Vanderbilt. So while it is easy to see why Trace is still the starter after three years of success, that doesn't make Tommy any less of a quarterback. It just says Franklin doesn't want to disrupt a good thing with the current team. Both are considered good leaders.

Tommy will have a big year in 2019 by virtue of being surrounded by an experienced OL and lots of elite playmakers. The only thing not working in his favor will be the road schedule, but he seems to have the kind of nerve that it will take to play through those games with poise.

So yea, I'm giving it better than 50:50 he goes in the first 4 rounds, with a good chance of going in the first two. I've gone out on a limb in previous posts writing that he will be drafted higher than Trace, who to me seems to have plateaued physically. Of course, this is all just my own uninformed prognostication. It is based on what I see as a higher plateau at the next level. I'm sure there are many who believe that Trace will go in the first two rounds. So this is not a stretch based on how the NFL tends to view quarterbacks. There is a learning process no matter what they did in college.

I gotta get you to help me pick winning lottery numbers.

Many people liken Tommy to the QB Chicago drafted two drafts ago: Mitchell Trubisky. He was a multi-season backup, one year starter whowho drafted high primarily off his stature (very similar to Tommy here) and his combine/pro day showings.

One major difference is Trubisky was throwing a lot more passed in his relief duty than Tommy has to this point. Trubisky had just over 1000 yards to Tommy's 194.

Tommy will need an excellent senior season and an excellent combine (this I think we don't have to worry about) to be drafted where most project.

Amazing praise is being heaped on Stevens for a guy we have never seen manage a passing game

I think the way the praise is handled is very much in tune with roster management. Notice, we are hearing a lot about Clifford this year. How well he knows the offense and the like. Franklin did NOT want to go into this season with just Trace, Clifford, and Levis. Just like next year, he'll want Stevens, Clifford, Levis, and the Roberson/Johnson duo.

Eventually, we could see attrition. Usually if an under beats out an upper classmen.

I’m glad we have Stevens for next year but these predictions he will be a top draft pick are based on what. He has never played a meaningful down at QB. Lot of hype because he ran over an Iowa player at the goaline. Most of his successful plays could have been executed by any number of skill players.

Again, I’m happy we have him.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Help me with this.

You nailed it. That is what I think. I think next year will be a magic year for Tommy Stevens.

I am a big fan of Tommy and think he is going to be really good. I also think it’s possible he goes early in 2020 Draft. But I don’t know how anyone can have an informed decision about that without seeing a whole lot more of him playing QB.

Regardless, your argument above about why Trace was picked over Tommy is silly. First, Trace was on campus one semester before Tommy (Tommy early enrolled, Trace didn’t). So your statement about Trace being chosen solely because of an extra year in the program is wrong.

Second, per Franklin, Moorhead made the decision on the starter. Both Tommy and Trace were on campus a year before Moorhead arrived and both were learning a new offense at the same time. Given that Moorhead had big time ambitions and was not involved in the recruitment of either QB, I highly doubt his decision had anything to do with the QBs seniority or recruitment history. Moorhead wanted immediate success so he can jump to a power 5 head coaching job. Against that back drop, I have a tough time coming up with a reason why Moorhead wouldn’t go with who he felt would be the best for the team.

Third, Trace was named the starter about two weeks before the start of the 2016 season. In his pre-camp press conference, Franklin said he would take the competition into the first game if it was too close to call in camp. He didn’t. That tells me the competition might not have been as close as you suggest.

Last edited:
You nailed it. That is what I think. I think next year will be a magic year for Tommy Stevens.
You need a magic year to learn how to comprehend what you read.
I am a big fan of Tommy and think he is going to be really good. I also think it’s possible he goes early in 2020 Draft. But I don’t know how anyone can have an informed decision about that without seeing a whole lot more of him playing QB.

Regardless, your argument above about why Trace was picked over Tommy is silly. First, Trace was on campus one semester before Tommy (Tommy early enrolled, Trace didn’t). So your statement about Trace being chosen solely because of an extra year in the program is wrong.

Second, per Franklin, Moorhead made the decision on the starter. Both Tommy and Trace were on campus a year before Moorhead arrived and both were learning a new offense at the same time. Given that Moorhead had big time ambitions and was not involved in the recruitment of either QB, I highly doubt his decision had anything to do with the QBs seniority or recruitment history. Moorhead wanted immediate success so he can jump to a power 5 head coaching job. Against that back drop, I have a tough time coming up with a reason why Moorhead wouldn’t go with who he felt would be the best for the team.

Third, Trace was named the starter about two weeks before the start of the 2016 season. In his pre-camp press conference, Franklin said he would take the competition into the first game if it was too close to call in camp. He didn’t. That tells me the competition might not have been as close as you suggest.
I think Tommy should go straight to both Halls of Fame right now. Why bother with his inevitable stellar performances at PSU in 2020 and in the NFL after being an early draft pick.

I'm expecting Sanders to have a breakout year, but Swift is probably in a better position to succeed at this point in time. That Georgia o-line is going to be dominant.

My prediction for Sanders is 9-10 100 yard rushing games and 1500+ rushing yards. He's going to be exciting to watch. He probably would have been the starter last year on all but 4 or 5 other FBS teams.

Consider:

Reactions: PSUoh90
ADVERTISEMENT