ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

I believe Simmons is dinged up. Sounds like the same can be said for shorter.

Hoping it's just that and nothing of a serious injury or off-field issue. Shorter is a true freshman so I'm not as worried even if it is just him not cracking the top-3 at the moment. Playing without Simmons for an extended period would be far more crucial, IMO.

Hoping it's just that and nothing of a serious injury or off-field issue. Shorter is a true freshman so I'm not as worried even if it is just him not cracking the top-3 at the moment. Playing without Simmons for an extended period would be far more crucial, IMO.

Franklin says they expect him back (no timetable given), but did say they will know more on Thursday. Not sure if that means for this weekend (doubtful since he has been out more than a week) or for later in the season.

Reactions: BBrown and PSUoh90
Other than Simmons and Shorter not on here due to injury, not much that seems too surprising. Toney has put on some weight (241 lbs)

Dotson may be 3rd team now but I'd bet that he won't be there all season. Ditto for Parsons at second team.

Can't wait to see KJ return kicks.

Reactions: Kmase21
Other than Simmons and Shorter not on here due to injury, not much that seems too surprising. Toney has put on some weight (241 lbs)

Dotson may be 3rd team now but I'd bet that he won't be there all season. Ditto for Parsons at second team.

Can't wait to see KJ return kicks.

Garret Taylor as the starting safety surprised me as did Ricky Slade moving so far up the chart.

Does Jan Johnson even have a scholarship yet? Seems bizarre with how many slots have opened up recently.
Does he still wrestle? I guess it would make sense if he turned one down to keep his wrestling options open.

It’s been reported all camp that Scott and Taylor were running #1.

Taylor came out of Spring practice as a starter, and it looks like he just kept the job. No small feat with Wade and Monroe in the mix. I'm more surprised that Monroe did not get the call. He has impressed me over his career so far on special teams and the little playing time he has gotten. Always around the ball once it gets in the air.

Does Jan Johnson even have a scholarship yet? Seems bizarre with how many slots have opened up recently.
Does he still wrestle? I guess it would make sense if he turned one down to keep his wrestling options open.
Not yet on scholarship. Was a little surprised he was named MLB. Thought Ellis Brooks would get the nod, tbh.

Where is Zech Mcphearson? Not listed at all after a great spring....also was hoping to see Damion Barber listed a little higher.

Also looks like the DeAndre Thompkins experiment in the slot is over

Wade not starting at safety was a little surprising to me

Franklin said after spring ball that Taylor would be the starter if the season started right then. I would have been surprised if anyone else was listed ahead of him on the depth chart.

What was surprising was to see Polk moved back inside after being moved outside in the spring and seeing KJ Hamler as the starter out there.

EDIT - I seem to have been confused. Looks like Thompkins was moved back outside and is ahead of Polk, while Hamler is the starter inside.

It's probably because Hamler was too good to keep off field and is a pure slot guy so that meant Thompkins had to go back outside.

Reactions: bwifan
Where is Zech Mcphearson? Not listed at all after a great spring....also was hoping to see Damion Barber listed a little higher.

Also looks like the DeAndre Thompkins experiment in the slot is over

After watching McPhearson last season I'm not surprised he's not listed.

Also, I think it's more that Hamler was too good to keep off the field and he can't play outside so they had to move Thompkins back out because he can play outside to get Hamler on the field.

We'll probably see .Thompkins in the slot at times and Polk outside, though. They'll mix it up.

Would you mind explaining your confusion? I've always been under the impression that a scholarship of any kind is counted when it comes to sports. Otherwise we'd have tons of schools filling their diving teams with football players or giving out undeserved "academic" scholarships.

I'm looking at the depth chart on my phone, the print is small and my eyes are bad.

Am I right that if all the projected starters use their available eligibility we only lose 2 on our offense and 3 on defense due to graduation?

Jan Johnson being listed as the starter is a thank you for all his hard work and dedication to the program. By the end of the year, and big in game situations I would expect to see a combination of Brown, Parsons, Brooks, And Farmer. No matter how great of a story it is and most of the board rooting for a feel good story he’s just not good enough to lead an elite defense. Takes more than smarts if you’re outmatched athletically and physically.

Last edited:
Hamler is outside and Thompkins was moved inside. At least according to TOS. The H position is the slot.

Franklin said in presser that he believes there are 7 greenlights (he didn't name them all):

Freshmen he named as greenlights: Pinegar, Freiermuth, Slade, Parsons, Luketa

From the depth chart: Mustipher and Tarburton

Scruggs is also listed at 3Deep at Center. Dotson is listed at 3Deep at Z behind Hamler and Hipp. Franklin said that Dotson is a yellow-green right now, but indicated that for Dotson (and I am assuming others) that they will hold their playing time in case of injuries. Will be interested to hear/read about strategy of saving/spending redshirts.

I'm looking at the depth chart on my phone, the print is small and my eyes are bad.

Am I right that if all the projected starters use their available eligibility we only lose 2 on our offense and 3 on defense due to graduation?

I see:
Offense: Wright and McSorley
Defense: Farmer, Scott, and Amani

ADVERTISEMENT