ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart projection for 2022 offense

Looks pretty reasonable to me.....
The receiver position doesn't reflect reality, unless we are playing multiple players out of position, again. We did it the last two years with Dotson/Washington out of need. This year should be different. Right now, we should hopefully have a battle between Lambert-Smith and Mitchel Tinsley for the Z receiver, Parker Washington and Kaden Saunders for the Y and lastly Malick Meiga and hopefully someone like Mehki Flowers who has the highest ceiling of anyone at the position since Chris Godwin. Anything less and we are looking at a low ceiling offense from the get go regardless of improvement up front.

I am hoping for Tinsley, Washington and Flowers.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
The receiver position doesn't reflect reality, unless we are playing multiple players out of position, again. We did it the last two years with Dotson/Washington out of need. This year should be different. Right now, we should hopefully have a battle between Lambert-Smith and Mitchel Tinsley for the Z receiver, Parker Washington and Kaden Saunders for the Y and lastly Malick Meiga and hopefully someone like Mehki Flowers who has the highest ceiling of anyone at the position since Chris Godwin. Anything less and we are looking at a low ceiling offense from the get go regardless of improvement up front.

Thought Flowers was recruited as a DB.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Not sure where your assessment of Flowers is coming from but I've seen him play and have different thoughts. He has talent but I think you are way overselling it.

Don't think he sees the field as a freshman. One reason is that he carries the ball like a loaf of bread and that's a liability at the next level. He needs time to season and I'm not even sure if his future is on offense. If he comes in focused, working hard, and without an ego then he has a chance to work his way into the lineup in a couple of years.

Not sure where your assessment of Flowers is coming from but I've seen him play and have different thoughts. He has talent but I think you are way overselling it.

Don't think he sees the field as a freshman. One reason is that he carries the ball like a loaf of bread and that's a liability at the next level. He needs time to season and I'm not even sure if his future is on offense. If he comes in focused, working hard, and without an ego then he has a chance to work his way into the lineup in a couple of years.
Pure potential. I have seen him play and his skill set is similar to Chris Godwin. Multiple recruiting reviews say as much as well. We badly need someone like that to play the X receiver in MYs offense. We have been whiffing at this position for years.

Thought Flowers was recruited as a DB.

I believe I read that Flowers will start out at CB and see how that fits him, with a potential move to Safety going forward. Similar to what happened with Ellis and Wheatley.

If Flowers is the playmaker some believe the staff will give him opportunities to show it. But his arriving in the summer, not getting to PSU for Spring practice, in combination with the head start that a couple of 2022 WR's got and the progress that the 2021 class WR's have made will likely keep Flowers off the field in 2022 no matter what position he practices at this Fall.

To me, it would take a major upset or an injury to keep the starting WR's from being Washington, Tinsley and KLS. And for 2022 at least it seems that the most likely down field WR's to break out would be Meiga and Wallace who have gotten complimented many times this off season regarding their development and skill sets. Saunders could be a wild card if he is as uncoverable as he was in H.S. and on the camp circuit and had put on a few pounds of muscle by the start of Fall camp. JMO

Last edited:
Did not hear they were wanting to play CB. Other schools were looking at him as a receiver only. With that said, I would fear a trio of Washington, Tinsley and KLS. One slot and two possession receivers does not bode well for the offense taking any type of step forward which means Clifford probably gets hurt running the ball into an 8 man front, again.

I agree with the placement of the 11 starters as listed.

If Wallace struggles at OT....swapping Wallace and Tangwell may make sense......or Tangwell at OT and Cornell transfer at OG. Wallace was beaten by speed rushers....although in some cases he seemed to be trying to cover for poor OG/C play and subsequently he got burned.

Hopng for Evans, Saunders or Harrison to be able to stretch defenses.....would like to see the defense be afraid of someone taking it the distance........otherwise bring everyone close to the line of scrimmage and make it difficult for us to run / throw short.

Reactions: Online Persona
Right on. Basically the same unit that produced 10 points against Arkansas lol...minus its best player.

I agree with the placement of the 11 starters as listed.

If Wallace struggles at OT....swapping Wallace and Tangwell may make sense......or Tangwell at OT and Cornell transfer at OG. Wallace was beaten by speed rushers....although in some cases he seemed to be trying to cover for poor OG/C play and subsequently he got burned.

Hopng for Evans, Saunders or Harrison to be able to stretch defenses.....would like to see the defense be afraid of someone taking it the distance........otherwise bring everyone close to the line of scrimmage and make it difficult for us to run / throw short.
The staff seems to have come to the conclusion that Wallace has taken a step forward at OT, likely in both performance and confidence which can be equally important.

I sure agree that we need a downfield threat. But pure speed doesn't always create big plays when playing against top B10 DB's such as those that will line up against PSU in the oh-high-ya and UM games. There was mention of Godwin above and obviously he had pretty good speed. But what stuck out to me was his ability to make contested catches, so I'm hoping a more physical WR such as Meiga or possibly Harrison Wallace shows that ability. Tinsley also seemed to show strong hands last season so he may be a better downfield target than some here believe.

Who is the punter/ kick off guy? not meant to be snarky either. Stout was very good last year, saving field position all year

ADVERTISEMENT