ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart projection for 2022 Defense

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Lots of talent and depth along the DL. Durant was a Winter and Spring sensation, but will he really be ahead of Beamon on the start of season depth chart? And it might be a stretch for both of the Summer enrollee's Robinson and DDS to leap over Vilbert who had quite a bowl game, now in his 4th year.

The LB's and DB's seem more straight forward to predict.

DL could be decent with Mustipher returning and if Isaac is healthy. Biggest concern is depth.

DBs could be good with Brown, Porter, Ellis, Wilson, King

LBs could be a big problem. Jacobs and a bunch of projects. Maybe Eldson, Sutherland, and Buddin will surprise me but even if they do there isn't any depth.

I'm disappointed that Franklin couldn't get a transfer KB with guaranteed PT available. A good solid LB would have made a huge difference. As is I think PSU has a problem.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
I hope Kobe K. blossoms because if he doesn’t the LB Corps will be discussed after every B1G conference game and not necessarily in a good way. Guys like Katshir, Elsdon, and Sutherland are decent backups, at best, in the B1G. Joseph is the only B1G caliber LBer until Carter gets ramped up. How did we get here. Figure it out Manny.

I am not too hopeful for the defense. New coordinator who runs a hyper aggressive variant of the defense Ted Roof installed and was run mostly unchanged through the Shoop and Pry years. Franklin is batting close to zero when it comes to the 3 technique tackle position and the team has paid for it. We have a couple of serviceable backups but no true starter. Expect more of the same. Throw in the complete lack of a 5 technique end to line up next to the 3 and the root cause of last year's collapse is obvious. I expect another step back on defense this year.

DL could be decent with Mustipher returning and if Isaac is healthy. Biggest concern is depth.

DBs could be good with Brown, Porter, Ellis, Wilson, King

LBs could be a big problem. Jacobs and a bunch of projects. Maybe Eldson, Sutherland, and Buddin will surprise me but even if they do there isn't any depth.

I'm disappointed that Franklin couldn't get a transfer KB with guaranteed PT available. A good solid LB would have made a huge difference. As is I think PSU has a problem.
Agree about the LBer issue. I don't see Sutherland being an answer, he is a poor tackler and too small. I would like to see Buddin put in for "trial by fire". He is a natural LBer. Hopefully Abdul Carter picks up the Mike position quickly. PSU needs his size and ability for depth. Coach Diaz has hinted that Carter will need to be accelerated in his development to help with depth.

Agree about the LBer issue. I don't see Sutherland being an answer, he is a poor tackler and too small. I would like to see Buddin put in for "trial by fire". He is a natural LBer. Hopefully Abdul Carter picks up the Mike position quickly. PSU needs his size and ability for depth. Coach Diaz has hinted that Carter will need to be accelerated in his development to help with depth.
Carter looks like a good prospect but he wasn't a top 150 prospect. I think it's a stretch to expect too much from him this year. We'll really need him next year once Jacob's is gone.

LBU has a lot of rebuilding to do.

ADVERTISEMENT