ADVERTISEMENT

Decommits starting for tOSU

Don't believe will have much impact on 2019 class, but more of 2020 class...

Two 2020 commits reopened their recruitment so far:
Lejond Cavazos (4-star DB from Texas)
Jake Wray (4-star OT from Georgia)

Their top 2020 commit, Paris Johnson (OT from Ohio) is on the fence. He is planning to meet with Ryan Day and staff tomorrow in Columbus on an unofficial. What happens after that is TBD.

Don't believe will have much impact on 2019 class, but more of 2020 class...

Two 2020 commits reopened their recruitment so far:
Lejond Cavazos (4-star DB from Texas)
Jake Wray (4-star OT from Georgia)

Their top 2020 commit, Paris Johnson (OT from Ohio) is on the fence. He is planning to meet with Ryan Day and staff tomorrow in Columbus on an unofficial. What happens after that is TBD.

The fact that the younger brother (Jake Wray) of a current Buckeyes player (Max Wray) decommits could signal that all is not right in Buckeye land. Not only could this have implications on recruiting, but this could also have implications on current players declaring for the NFL or potential transfers away from the program. I wonder if Max Wray told his younger brother Jake some questionable things about Ryan Day and/or the future of the Buckeyes program, which prompted Jake Wray to open up his recruitment.

Didnt they also have a 2019 kid (lineman from WV?) open his recruiting back up?

Yes, Doug Nester, who is the big offensive lineman that PSU is recruiting too. While he is still committed to OSU, he did open his recruiting back up. I spoke to an Ohio State fan who is not happy that Ryan Day was promoted to Head Coach and he said that Ryan Day has not had much involvement in recruiting to date. If that is the case, then it could spell some problems with OSU's recruiting.

By the way, this same Ohio State fan told me back in August that Urban Meyer was done at the end of this season and that the reason he showed up all day at the OSU building while the Trustees were deliberating his future, was to find out whether he would be fired immediately or be done at the end of this season. Supposedly they agreed back in August that 2018 would be Meyer's final season. Take that for what it's worth.

Do people really have this much time available in their lives? It's been one day since the transition began.

Do people really have this much time available in their lives? It's been one day since the transition began.

You're on a football message board, that is highly centered around recruiting.

Not sure what you expect, more posts about construction / lawn care / clothing / colonoscopies / sledding / space travel?

There is a high probability that Day = limit change to hold what you got. There is also a high probability that Day = Fickell, that is the guy who is left holding the bag if any other fallout occurs until they can bring in the next big name coach with a clean slate to get the impermissible benefits going again.

What was Fickell's record? Day should be better but recruits likely know that Day is nothing but a place holder.

There is a high probability that Day = limit change to hold what you got. There is also a high probability that Day = Fickell, that is the guy who is left holding the bag if any other fallout occurs until they can bring in the next big name coach with a clean slate to get the impermissible benefits going again.

What was Fickell's record? Day should be better but recruits likely know that Day is nothing but a place holder.
And Fickell = Sandler
lukefickell.jpg

I don't know about all of this. In the case of Wrey I think that it is just a case of his brother not seeing playing time and the resulting disappointment. It could just be a case of him not being good enough as opposed to any problems in the locker room. The first one while decommiting did say that OSU is still one of his top schools.These are 2020 recruits. I am not surprised at all to see a couple (or even more if that happens) take their time to explore other options. Even the early signing date is over a year away. A lot will depend on how Day does.

As for the Day hire I am very much on board with it. I thought that he handled the late summer /early fall situation with UM pretty darn good. Remember it was not just the 3 games but the entire training camp that he had to handle. I think that the continuity factor was and is very important especially in the recruiting area.

I certainly do not think that this is Fickle version 2.0. Do I expect a winning percentage of 900 for the next 7 years?. Of course not. Can there be a fall off next year especially if Haskins goes pro as expected? Very possibly But I do not see this team falling back to a consistent 9-3 8-4 run of seasons any time soon.

I don't think OSU gives Day a 5-year contract at nearly $5 mill a year to be a fill-in coach. Fickell if I recall correctly got about $700k on a one year deal when he stepped in for Tressel. That said, Day could have a Fickell-like 7-5 year, or even a 5-7 year, but I don't think that's likely.

Still, he's replacing a legend with a ridiculous winning record and he could bring in a top 10 recruiting class, and some people will sneer that it's a "step back." Expectations will be very very high. Certainly will not help his lot if Haskins leaves for the NFL, which I think is a strong possibility.

Reactions: WestSideLion
I don't think OSU gives Day a 5-year contract at nearly $5 mill a year to be a fill-in coach. Fickell if I recall correctly got about $700k on a one year deal when he stepped in for Tressel. That said, Day could have a Fickell-like 7-5 year, or even a 5-7 year, but I don't think that's likely.

Still, he's replacing a legend with a ridiculous winning record and he could bring in a top 10 recruiting class, and some people will sneer that it's a "step back." Expectations will be very very high. Certainly will not help his lot if Haskins leaves for the NFL, which I think is a strong possibility.
I think Haskins would be crazy not to go.

I know there are other QBs in the draft (Drew Lock, the Oregon kid if he comes out, and a few others) but Haskins should be a first round draft pick. Worset - high second round.

Teams that need QBs (my opinion only)

Patriots (Brady is 40 and is one shot away)
Giants
Redskins (Mark Sanchez - LOL)
Jacksonville
PIttsburgh (Big Ben won't last forever, although others on here would know more about his backups)
Cincinnati
Green Bay (see Patriots)
New Orleans (although they have Bridgewater, but not sure how he is physically)
maybe a few others that the guys who follow the NFL closer than I do would know

Isn't this the kid whose father is a coach at pitt, with the pitters expecting the kid to follow his dad to pitt?

I'll bet duzzy is all over this kid right now and that he flips to pitt any minute.....

:rolleyes::D
Sarcasm accepted, honestly I don’t believe that the Duzz knows how to pitch a 5* recruit.

If Day doesn't work out after a year, then he'll have $20 million left on his contract. That's pocket change for OSU's program. They'd have no problem parting ways and giving whomever a blank check to come in. That doesn't mean Day won't work out, but I'd cite $$ as reason #242 for OSU to consider a coaching change down the road.

I wonder if these recruits are getting wise to being fed misinformation on Ohio State's coaching situation. 1st there was the fiasco to start the season that recruits were blindsided on and then told multiple accounts while they witnessed Meyer lying and deleting evidence. Now we are hearing that they were blindsided again with Meyer stepping down.

My question as a recruit or parent would be, what else aren't you telling us? Is LJ Sr retiring? Are one of the coordinators who have more experience than Day moving on? Is there more fallout Zach Smith saga that could potentially come out? Has anything I've been told still remain true?

I think Haskins would be crazy not to go.

I know there are other QBs in the draft (Drew Lock, the Oregon kid if he comes out, and a few others) but Haskins should be a first round draft pick. Worset - high second round.

Teams that need QBs (my opinion only)

Patriots (Brady is 40 and is one shot away)
Giants
Redskins (Mark Sanchez - LOL)
Jacksonville
PIttsburgh (Big Ben won't last forever, although others on here would know more about his backups)
Cincinnati
Green Bay (see Patriots)
New Orleans (although they have Bridgewater, but not sure how he is physically)
maybe a few others that the guys who follow the NFL closer than I do would know

Denver?

The last Ohio State QB to stick around lost money in the draft. Haskins has very little room to improve and will be a first round pick. see ya.

I'm fairly certain their recruits have been contacted and reminded of the uncertainties surrounding their program.

I wonder if these recruits are getting wise to being fed misinformation on Ohio State's coaching situation. 1st there was the fiasco to start the season that recruits were blindsided on and then told multiple accounts while they witnessed Meyer lying and deleting evidence. Now we are hearing that they were blindsided again with Meyer stepping down.

My question as a recruit or parent would be, what else aren't you telling us? Is LJ Sr retiring? Are one of the coordinators who have more experience than Day moving on? Is there more fallout Zach Smith saga that could potentially come out? Has anything I've been told still remain true?

Yes, who knows how Day feels about Schiano and Kevin Wilson. Is this the year LJ retires? If not this year, next year?

You're on a football message board, that is highly centered around recruiting.

Not sure what you expect, more posts about construction / lawn care / clothing / colonoscopies / sledding / space travel?
Two 2020 guys said "Now that you have had a coaching change, I want to reconsider". When they recommit anytime in the next 15 months, this type of mental masturbation will have proven to be very worthwhile.

Two 2020 guys said "Now that you have had a coaching change, I want to reconsider". When they recommit anytime in the next 15 months, this type of mental masturbation will have proven to be very worthwhile.
and a 2019 early enrollee will not

We can minimize the expected impact its only been a few days and 3 families have already publically said hold on here

It's reasonable to reconsider when a coaching change occurs, but you can reconsider without decommitting. Generally decommits don't recommit, so I found it interesting that we were seeing people decommitting already even if they're class of 2020. Micah Parsons is one of the few I can think of off the top of my head who reopened his recruiting and went with his original choice. Unless Day is another Lincoln Riley, Urban's moving on should be good for Penn State.

Reactions: Judge Smails
It's reasonable to reconsider when a coaching change occurs, but you can reconsider without decommitting. Generally decommits don't recommit, so I found it interesting that we were seeing people decommitting already even if they're class of 2020. Micah Parsons is one of the few I can think of off the top of my head who reopened his recruiting and went with his original choice. Unless Day is another Lincoln Riley, Urban's moving on should be good for Penn State.

Well we lost two 2019 guys, which I consider to be a far bigger issue.
https://onwardstate.com/2018/12/08/three-star-wide-receiver-emery-simmons-decommits-from-penn-state/

Reactions: TheGLOV
The sky is falling!
Hopefully, for your sake, the irony of proving my original point isn't lost on you. This is just a dumb thread, and just illustrates how insecure see people are when it comes to our opponents.

Hopefully, for your sake, the irony of proving my original point isn't lost on you. This is just a dumb thread, and just illustrates how insecure see people are when it comes to our opponents.
Pray for me!!!!!

Yes, who knows how Day feels about Schiano and Kevin Wilson. Is this the year LJ retires? If not this year, next year?
I think it’s more like how do Schiano and Wilson feel about reporting to a guy with far less experience. They signed up to work for a HOF coach. I’ll be surprised if they are around past 2019

Both are understandable. It's pretty hard to blame a kid who has the opportunity to go to Northwestern. And when there's a coaching change close to home and a kid decides he likes that situation better, I don't see that as much of a problem. If they were defecting to some other school that doesn't offer any real advantage I'd be more concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT