ADVERTISEMENT

Decided to take in an episode of College Football Live tonight

Tried to watch a baseball broadcast the other night. The same wasn't about the game it was chit chat about themselves back to back night and Olbermans mom. ESPN is not long for the air.

and that was a mistake I won’t make again anytime soon. Wow. Were they always a bunch of self-important a$$clowns, or is that a new angle?
Was it the episode when they were discussing Maryland and the blonde newsreader said something to the effect that if the media did not report the issues that they would have gotten away with it?

Reactions: Zenophile
I tried- again for some reason- to listen to Wingo and Golic the other day. For the love of god, Wingo is the most insufferable windbag that they have on the air. Not funny, not informed, not deserving of being on the air. I can’t imagine that show lasting beyond a year. Wingo is like the prototype for the ESPN on air personality.
And as bad as it is, little Golic just takes it up to an unimaginable level of insufferability.

Last edited:
I tried- again for some reason- to listen to Wingonand Golix the other day. For the love of god, Wingo is the most insufferable windbag that they have on the air. Not funny, not informed, not deserving of being on the air. I can’t imagine that show lasting beyond a year. Wingo is like the prototype for the ESPN on air personality.
And as bad as it is, little Golic just takes it up to an unimaginable level of insufferability.
Agree, Wingo is the biggest doofus ever. He comes across as an insecure teenager trying to fit in with the cool crowd. He isn’t funny at all and just isn’t very likable. With the way Get Up is going they just may reunite Mike & Mike.

Tried to watch a baseball broadcast the other night. The same wasn't about the game it was chit chat about themselves back to back night and Olbermans mom. ESPN is not long for the air.

That was awful. Olberman called the game as if he was hosting a talk show.

I tried to watch what they call "Sports Center" to see it they might mention Snedeker shooting 59. Good Lord am I naive.

I think the network believes that the ticker takes the place of the old job of the show - to give scores, news, etc. - so that a bunch of people I've never seen before can give me their inane "takes" on shit I barely care about to begin with.

Was it the episode when they were discussing Maryland and the blonde newsreader said something to the effect that if the media did not report the issues that they would have gotten away with it?

Well she might have a point. I mean this thing happened way back in June and was barely reported on here in Baltimore. Hell the BTN tour was there the day the story broke and didn’t report on it until after. So yea I kind of agree with her. The only caveat would have been how much the McNair parents were able to uncover.

Speaking of ESPN and garbage content, did anyone catch any of the NIck Saban lovefest, "Rolling with the Tide?" Jesus it was bad. I caught about 5 minutes of it this past weekend. Saban was leading a team meeting and kept trying to tell a story but wasn't finishing sentences, like he lost whatever point he was making. Worst of all, he kept saying they were going to push the team to physical and mental failure in practice, referring to the heat. Just seemed stupid airing him saying that in light of what happened at Mayland. Guess it's ok with ESPN if Saban does it.

On another note, I was watching this show, and was surprised to find out that....LSU lost 2 quarterbacks in one day due to them leaving the team. Not hurt or injured - they chose to leave the program.

LSU has recruited 20 quarterbacks since 2005. Of the 20, only four completed their career at LSU. The last quarterback they had drafted in the first 4 rounds was Jamarcus Russell. Of the 20 quarterbacks, nine never got into a game for LSU. Ever.

I thought that was mind boggling.

Speaking of ESPN and garbage content, did anyone catch any of the NIck Saban lovefest, "Rolling with the Tide?" Jesus it was bad. I caught about 5 minutes of it this past weekend. Saban was leading a team meeting and kept trying to tell a story but wasn't finishing sentences, like he lost whatever point he was making. Worst of all, he kept saying they were going to push the team to physical and mental failure in practice, referring to the heat. Just seemed stupid airing him saying that in light of what happened at Mayland. Guess it's ok with ESPN if Saban does it.
I saw two episodes of this (not sure how many they have/will have); moderately interesting, I thought, to see Bama facilities, culture, etc.
Have to give them credit for building (and sustaining) a dynasty

Reactions: JoeFi
On another note, I was watching this show, and was surprised to find out that....LSU lost 2 quarterbacks in one day due to them leaving the team. Not hurt or injured - they chose to leave the program.

LSU has recruited 20 quarterbacks since 2005. Of the 20, only four completed their career at LSU. The last quarterback they had drafted in the first 4 rounds was Jamarcus Russell. Of the 20 quarterbacks, nine never got into a game for LSU. Ever.

I thought that was mind boggling.

+1. Ed Orgeron is on my very, very hot seat list.

Agree, Wingo is the biggest doofus ever. He comes across as an insecure teenager trying to fit in with the cool crowd. He isn’t funny at all and just isn’t very likable. With the way Get Up is going they just may reunite Mike & Mike.
LOL - while that makes a lot of sense, from my “miles away” view I don’t know if that will ever happen. Probably was talked about on the board before, but did you see the last Mike and Mike show with their families? They say 90% of communication is non-verbal, an OMG was the body language between the families screaming! I was hoping for a good old fashioned throw down, but of course given the Golics it wouldn’t have been much of a brawl!
Totally agree with the G&W, show - I’m listening to the local shows and some of the Sirius/XM stuff now. Golic Jr. put it over the top - he thinks he’s so trendy and cool...shows how bad nepotism can affect things in the workplace!

Reactions: grinagrin
and that was a mistake I won’t make again anytime soon. Wow. Were they always a bunch of self-important a$$clowns, or is that a new angle?
sports talk shows are horrific. I think they are in a bit of a death spiral. their viewership is dwindling and they are struggling to find a formula that works. The two paths are a) make it like "talk show" entertainment b) bring in previously ignored demographics (women, for the most part) c) some combination. What is missing is the formula that keeps the sporting event as first and foremost. This is following the pro leagues who have fire, smoke machines, blaring music, dancing, and gathering places at the stadiums. It kind of works because you can largely ignor these distractions. But listening to an idiot like Olbermann talk about his mom, a bimbo take credit for hammering a program or Wingo drone on excessively about the SEC is simply not entertainment. Again, I'd rather strike up a conversation with the half drunk guy at the end of the bar at Hooters. At least he'll talk sports.

You gotta give Wingo a break. That silver spoon still jammed up his ass must give him an incredible amount of discomfort.

Reactions: eidolon21
You gotta give Wingo a break. That silver spoon still jammed up his ass must give him an incredible amount of discomfort.
Right! for those that don't know, his father founded People Magazine.

My guess is Trevor Matich’s orifice occupies the spoon handle.

Ha, Hal Chapman Wingo III to be exact, which is just ridiculous. The guy is a perfectly fine anchor. He does a good job reading copy off a teleprompter and making it sounds conversational, which is harder than it looks. However, he is just awful on the radio where a bunch of improv is required.

Ha, Hal Chapman Wingo III to be exact, which is just ridiculous. The guy is a perfectly fine anchor. He does a good job reading copy off a teleprompter and making it sounds conversational, which is harder than it looks. However, he is just awful on the radio where a bunch of improv is required.

I can rub my belly and pat my head at the same time.

8Zuc.gif

The latest issue of ESPN magazine was almost entirely dedicated to Saban (at least all the college football parts of it). Even when they reviewed the top 20 teams, they put in the write up what ties there are from each team to Saban. It was pretty disgusting actually.

Reactions: diontechristmas
I actually like Matich.
So do I. I like the way he actually provides analysis and breaks down situations. Nothing he says is particularly earth shattering, but he provides more real content and analysis that just about anyone else associated with college football on ESPN.

So do I. I like the way he actually provides analysis and breaks down situations. Nothing he says is particularly earth shattering, but he provides more real content and analysis that just about anyone else associated with college football on ESPN.
He is also a bit more restrained than the others - maybe because of his Mormon upbringing or just the way he is.

He is also a bit more restrained than the others - maybe because of his Mormon upbringing or just the way he is.
I believe, yesterday, they dropped "mormon". They are also discouraging LDS. So, like native americans, we need to respect their wishes. They now want to be referred as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

As such, your post should say "maybe because of his Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints upbringing.....".

200.gif

The latest issue of ESPN magazine was almost entirely dedicated to Saban (at least all the college football parts of it). Even when they reviewed the top 20 teams, they put in the write up what ties there are from each team to Saban. It was pretty disgusting actually.

Saban/Alabama is the gold standard right now...they're obviously going to mention Smart and others with Alabama ties. Hopefully someday soon everyone is referencing Penn State and Franklin

I believe, yesterday, they dropped "mormon". They are also discouraging LDS. So, like native americans, we need to respect their wishes. They now want to be referred as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

As such, your post should say "maybe because of his Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints upbringing.....".

200.gif
I'm very pleased that you've mentioned this. Accordingly I wish to be known as He Who Has Fondness for the Place Located Directly Above the Center of the Earth.

And just to be clear, I'll have none of this HWHFftPLDAtCotE business.

I've already bet under 7 wins for Lsu.

I think that's a smart bet...should go 3-1 non-conference unless they shock Miami. They have Georgia & Florida as their SEC east games so that definitely doesn't help them...even if they beat Florida on the road they'd need 3 more wins to get to 7. They aren't likely beating Alabama, Auburn or A&M so they would have to beat Miss State, Ole Miss & Arkansas to reach 7. Who knows but, on paper, looks like a smart play

Reactions: Grant Green
ADVERTISEMENT