ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Coach Franklin.....

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Dear Coach Franklin,

As you have coached for the Green Bay Packers, I'm sure you have an appreciation for the Packers history. Perhaps the most famous singular play in Green Bay Packers history is the play below:

I can assure you that had Bart Starr been in the shotgun formation it would not have worked. How important was that singular play to gain just one yard? If Starr is in the shotgun formation neither he nor any Packers running back scores either on the iced-frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

How significant is that play? The Dallas Cowboys not the Green Bay Packers would have won the NFL Championship in 1967. The Dallas Cowboys not the Green Bay Packers would have went on to defeat the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl II. In all likelihood, the Super Bowl trophy would not be called the Lombardi trophy as it is today but perhaps the Landry trophy. All because of a quarterback that stood right under center and sneaked for one-yard. It works on any surface in any weather condition.

And it still does today some 50 years later:

One yard. Don't hike the football back five yards when it only needs to advance less than 36 inches. Thank you for your time and attention.

P(enn).S(tate).: More Miles Sanders please. Thank you. WE ARE.....

Dear Coach Franklin,

As you have coached for the Green Bay Packers, I'm sure you have an appreciation for the Packers history. Perhaps the most famous singular play in Green Bay Packers history is the play below:

I can assure you that had Bart Starr been in the shotgun formation it would not have worked. How important was that singular play to gain just one yard? If Starr is in the shotgun formation neither he nor any Packers running back scores either on the iced-frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

How significant is that play? The Dallas Cowboys not the Green Bay Packers would have won the NFL Championship in 1967. The Dallas Cowboys not the Green Bay Packers would have went on to defeat the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl II. In all likelihood, the Super Bowl trophy would not be called the Lombardi trophy as it is today but perhaps the Landry trophy. All because of a quarterback that stood right under center and sneaked for one-yard. It works on any surface in any weather condition.

One yard. Don't hike the football back five yards when it only needs to advance less than 36 inches. Thank you for your time and attention.

Who knew that this board had so many coordinators better than Moorhead and Pry?? First tboyer and now john4psu. So much untapped talent!!

I dont question JoMo but seems a play or two here or there under center to catch defense off guard could be beneficial. What do I know, I just sit in a recliner and watch games.

Dear Coach Franklin,

Dear Coach Franklin,

Since you haven't noticed, Coach Franklin hired Coach Moorhead to run the offense and has
let him do so. The results have been excellent. Please address your concerns to Coach
Moorhead. I'm sure he will be impressed by your opinion.

We do shotgun for the victory formation!

Given that, it's not going to change for 3rd-down-and-1. Just have to live with it.

Since you haven't noticed, Coach Franklin hired Coach Moorhead to run the offense and has
let him do so. The results have been excellent. Please address your concerns to Coach
Moorhead. I'm sure he will be impressed by your opinion.
Interesting that you don't have a problem criticizing a coach who won 409 games.

Franklin has produced better on-the-field results than the Joe Paterno of the 2000s.

Joe would have lost Saturday's game 7-5.
th

Franklin has produced better on-the-field results than the Joe Paterno of the 2000s.

Joe would have lost Saturday's game 7-5.
I'll cherrypick here too. I believe PSU was something like 317 - 83 from 1966 - 1999. That's almost 80% over 34 seasons. Not too shabby.

Franklin will not be here to see his forth decade as HC. If you wish to compare JF to JVP let's look at Joe's first 4 years:5-5, 8-2-1,11-0,11-0.

Dear James Franklin...kick ass. If you piss off people along the way great. If not even better. Don't listen to these guys that would be more than happy to prop up a 130 year old Paterno in the booth like a " weekend at Bernie's" puppet. Just because he did things the "Penn State" way. You do thing's the" Franklin" way and get us some NC's.... You're doing a awesome job so far...keep it up!

Breaking news: we don't have Jerry Kramer, Ken Bowman, Forrest Gregg, Bob Skoronski, and Carroll Dale

Besides... if TS9 lines up under center - that just might telegraph a QB sneak

P.S. - that was 50yrs ago

I doubt if we'll see the likes of Bob Lilly and Jethro Pugh on the opposing defensive line.

I'll cherrypick here too. I believe PSU was something like 317 - 83 from 1966 - 1999. That's almost 80% over 34 seasons. Not too shabby.
His point is Joe’s selfishness cost the program. He overstayed his welcome like the crazy grandpa that nobody wants around.

Breaking news: we don't have Jerry Kramer, Ken Bowman, Forrest Gregg, Bob Skoronski, and Carroll Dale

How many times have you seen a quarterback sneak and known it was coming yet couldn't be stopped for a yard? The two videos I linked are examples of exactly that.

Who knew that this board had so many coordinators better than Moorhead and Pry?? First tboyer and now john4psu. So much untapped talent!!
TBoyer would have called for a kneel down, followed by running to the locker room right after the play.

I understand his point. Mine was that Joe had a good run. I am also all in for Coach Franklin. Not an either/or proposition.

Of course Joe had a good run. Rare is the post where I criticize the on-the-field performance of 1966-1996 era Joe Paterno. Starting in 1997, it was downhill though.

Well, why the hell was Joe Paterno brought up in this thread?

Why is Joe Paterno brought up in any of 6,432,106 threads around here on topics where he is irrelevant?
No answer, same answer I have when I try to understand your obsession with Jay.

Dear Coach Franklin,

Dear John
I'm sorry, I can't read your letter right now because the Big Ten championship trophy takes up too much room on my desk.
Coach Franklin

No answer, same answer I have when I try to understand your obsession with Jay.

I simply state facts. Jay has:

(1) filed frivolous lawsuits against Penn State.
(2) blamed others for his inability to get a football coaching job.
(3) tried to sabotage the efforts of the then-current Penn State coach (Bill O'Brien in 2013).
(4) likely acted as a source for Sports Illustrated articles that tried to bring down Penn State football.

1 and 2, whatever. But as regards 3 and 4 above, those are treasonous acts. Jay is a man who should be ex-communicated from the Penn State family. Instead, certain alumni have voted him to our Board of Trustees!

That said, I typically don't bring up Jay as regards topics where Jay is irrelevant.

I simply state facts. Jay has:

(1) filed frivolous lawsuits against Penn State.
(2) blamed others for his inability to get a football coaching job.
(3) tried to sabotage the efforts of the then-current Penn State coach (Bill O'Brien in 2013).
(4) likely acted as a source for Sports Illustrated articles that tried to bring down Penn State football.

1 and 2, whatever. But as regards 3 and 4 above, those are treasonous acts. Jay is a man who should be ex-communicated from the Penn State family. Instead, certain alumni have voted him to our Board of Trustees!

That said, I typically don't bring up Jay as regards topics where Jay is irrelevant.

Frivolous is your opinion, not a fact.
You have no evidence he was a source for the SI article or if his intent was to "bring down" PSU Football.
You fail to detail any facts of what he did to "sabotage" BOB.
Now those are facts.
Very dramatic though, excommunicate and treason LOL. Now treason would be a good description of the behavior of your misanthrope OGBOT buddies.

In fairness:
  • Sometimes we see problems that could have been due to poor execution (player error) rather than bad play design.
  • Coaches do this in real time. We have the advantage of taking time to review multiple replays. For all we know the coaches agree with some of the problems we see and they're working to correct them as we speak.
  • The staff can do a great job but that doesn't make them right 100% of the time.
  • Fans routinely criticized Joe for his conservative play calling and he won 409 games. It's certainly not a Franklin thing.

Why is Joe Paterno brought up in any of 6,432,106 threads around here on topics where he is irrelevant?[/QUOTE]

bdgan did it because he is a nut.

As I recall, Carroll Dale was a split end but I get your point. Jerry Kramer's brother, Ron, was the TE. Don't forget All Pro G, Fuzzy Thurston.

I'll say this, if PSU lined up in the 'I', the defenses would be outta whack.

Reactions: marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT