ADVERTISEMENT

Day 2 - Offically Offical 2022 Big Ten Tournament and B1G+ Technical Support Thread

I can't believe how thin McMullan is now. I would not have even recognized him. Hopefully he is healthy.
I was shocked also. He's from Nazareth area, my nephew use to wrestle him at youth tournaments. McMullen ended up going to Wyoming. Note: My nephew made it to States his junior year at 160 for Bangor. Got in a little school trouble his senior year and school stopped him from working out with Blair. He lost his desire and ended up getting beat in regionals. I think he ended up with 98 wins. He lost 2 half of seasons. He transferred out of Pius the start of Freshman year and then his Senior year wasn't allowed to wrestle until January.

I don’t like it either and wanted to see Eierman vs Lee again. The big matches are what makes it exciting. Just hate the hypocrisy among some fans.
J, with all due respect, your argument about Shak years ago when 3 guys MFF in the same tournament is a bit weak. Let’s not forget the crying of Warner in Dean’s match. We all saw Desanto yelling out to get the potentially dangerous call in RBY, plus his antics last year. It’s a pattern. Hard to convince people otherwise. It doesn’t help when the consensus attitude of Iowa’s fanbase is we are tougher than everyone else. Call a spade a spade here.

Heavy dream seeding

1. Gable
2. Cass
3. Kirk
4. Shultz the Duck. To prove a point!
5. Paris.
If Kirk falls to 4th of 5th. Hoping Paris is a 6th. I’m also thinking Michigan peaked last night and the point is to peak in not quite 2 weeks

Heavy dream seeding

1. Gable
2. Cass
3. Kirk
5. Paris.
If Kirk falls to 4th of 5th. Hoping Paris is a 6th. I’m also thinking Michigan peaked last night and the point is to peak in not quite 2 weeks
Some other possibilities:
1 - Gable
2- Schultz
3 - Cass
4/5 - Hendrickson/ Kerk
6 - Parris (has historically owned Cass)

1 - Gable
2 - Schultz
3 - Cass
4 - Hendrickson
5 - Wood (close losses to Cass and Schultz, conference champ, some decent wins)
6 - Kerk

I saw someone asked about Brady's seeding for Nationals.
Is he still near bottom because of lack of matches.???
Looks like he gets a 0 for the 10% RPI and 10% winning percentage due to lack of matches at 157. Otherwise, he'd likely be slotted at the 9 seed just behind Lewan. As it stands though, I haven't a clue

J, with all due respect, your argument about Shak years ago when 3 guys MFF in the same tournament is a bit weak. Let’s not forget the crying of Warner in Dean’s match. We all saw Desanto yelling out to get the potentially dangerous call in RBY, plus his antics last year. It’s a pattern. Hard to convince people otherwise. It doesn’t help when the consensus attitude of Iowa’s fanbase is we are tougher than everyone else. Call a spade a spade here.
The Desanto and Warner instances have nothing to do with MFF’s. Coaches decide what’s best for their wrestlers. Fans can agree or disagree. However when one fan base calls out a coach for doing something their own coach has done in the past that is the definition of hypocrisy.

M Amine deserved OW. Very classy comments about AB. Much respect. I could have sworn Amine was gassed midway through the 2nd. Amazing effort on his part.

Going forward, does anyone think AB dials it back, just a little, with the early pace? He was gassed at the end himself. Incredible match. Tip the cap and move forward to the Tournament that matters.

WE ARE!!!
I think so, it was very clear Amine was looking to steal that match when he was still backing up and not shooting in the first minute and half of the third period. Brooks should have stopped pursuing and let Amine come to him and played defense. That b.s. stall call may have come into play in how that all went down.

As for o.t. Brooks was so gassed getting that escape that he had nothing left. That match will be broken down and that strategy will not work again.

Last edited:
Too lazy to look it up but did any of Iowa's mff's benefit Michigan over Penn St. Point wise?

I think so, it was very clear Amine was looking to steal that match when he was still backing up and not shooting in the first minute and half of the third period. Brooks should have stopped pursuing and let Amine come to him and played defense. That b.s. stall call may have come into play in how that all went down.

As for o.t. Brooks was so gassed getting that escape that he had nothing left. That match will be broken down and that strategy will not work again.
I was amazed at the stall call on Brooks. Can anyone help me justify that one? What did I miss? (don't want to bring up the millions of comments regarding stalling... we all know 1st period and 3rd period are called differently and another factor would be if the ref didn't know the score)

Reactions: LHavenlion
I was amazed at the stall call on Brooks. Can anyone help me justify that one? What did I miss? (don't want to bring up the millions of comments regarding stalling... we all know 1st period and 3rd period are called differently and another factor would be if the ref didn't know the score)
In all honesty I believe the ref threw that warning out there in case Brooks decided to back out for the last 10 or 15 seconds the ref could send it to OT. Situational officiating. In other words, a poor official.
However, I do not think the officiating had anything to do with that outcome. As FT said, Amine had a plan and executed it.

I thought as a collective our Lion's performed incredibly well. The Wolverines may be old (like the Hawks) but noone can say that they didn't earn the title. Well done.

As for woulda coulda shoulda... If we could have the last 30 seconds back in 3 matches we win going away:

Hildy vs Deaugustino - my money says Hildy was under the weather the whole weekend.

Kerk vs Cass - oh my, pretty much inexcusable on so many levels. Hello Gable.

Brooks vs Amine - you had him but he is a world class wrestler. The margin is razor thin at this level.

Nationals is going to be a donnybrook, I like our chances.

PS - every team has woulda coulda shoulda... matches.

There are lots of factors that go into the final point spread. But, I look back to one seemingly small call that I think played a crucial factor in final result: the full nelson penalty point against Hildebrandt vs DeAugustino. Without that point, Hildebrandt wins in regulation and doesn't meet McKee in early wrestlebacks.

But my hat's off to Michigan. They wrestled a great tournament. Seven wrestlers beat their seeds, 3 matched their seeds and NO ONE finished below their seed. That's pretty amazing. In case anyone is interested in seed/placing for them:

125: 1 1
133 5 3
141: 6 4
149: 11 8
157 3 2
165: 4 2
174: 2 2
184: 2 1
197: 5 3
285: 4 4 (Interesting that NCAA runner-up here was one of few that didn't beat his seed at #4)

Again--hats off to Michigan who really came to wrestle.

I thought as a collective our Lion's performed incredibly well. The Wolverines may be old (like the Hawks) but noone can say that they didn't earn the title. Well done.

As for woulda coulda shoulda... If we could have the last 30 seconds back in 3 matches we win going away:

Hildy vs Deaugustino - my money says Hildy was under the weather the whole weekend.

Kerk vs Cass - oh my, pretty much inexcusable on so many levels. Hello Gable.

Brooks vs Amine - you had him but he is a world class wrestler. The margin is razor thin at this level.

Nationals is going to be a donnybrook, I like our chances.

PS - every team has woulda coulda shoulda... matches.
There were a lot of woulda coulda shouda's. Some you outlined above to also include Saturday losses by Edsell and Berge that were tight matches, but the biggest reason why PSU lost is getting zero points at 125 from the 2nd seed. If that happens next week the race will be much tighter than most of us have thought over the last month or so.

141, Nick received the win via MFF so PSU got 2 points.
The PSU bitch session seemed OK with this one.
My issue has nothing to do with who won or lost the tournament.

My issue is I foresee college wrestling becoming a one weekend sport. Which, for all intents and purposes in deciding who the best Big Ten team was this year, it already did.

Reactions: Raw Daddy and Ski
There are lots of factors that go into the final point spread. But, I look back to one seemingly small call that I think played a crucial factor in final result: the full nelson penalty point against Hildebrandt vs DeAugustino. Without that point, Hildebrandt wins in regulation and doesn't meet McKee in early wrestlebacks.

But my hat's off to Michigan. They wrestled a great tournament. Seven wrestlers beat their seeds, 3 matched their seeds and NO ONE finished below their seed. That's pretty amazing. In case anyone is interested in seed/placing for them:

125: 1 1
133 5 3
141: 6 4
149: 11 8
157 3 2
165: 4 2
174: 2 2
184: 2 1
197: 5 3
285: 4 4 (Interesting that NCAA runner-up here was one of few that didn't beat his seed at #4)

Again--hats off to Michigan who really came to wrestle.
It was a fabulous tournament for Michigan. I can’t remember (ever) a team having all 10 guys at or better than seed. PSU was solid too, with 8 of 10 wrestling to seed or better. With decompression at NCAA’s, if something similar happens, I really like our chances.

Hey JS, some talk over on HR that Assad looks burnt out. You should run and tell them that’s just preposterous. Lol
I'm not sure pointing out the great wrestling minds of HR have the same take as you is a great look...

I'm not sure pointing out the great wrestling minds of HR have the same take as you is a great look...
Has nothing to do with my look. Just thought he gave me all sorts of hell for saying things along those lines early in the season that maybe he should go give it to them as well. Appreciate the concern tho…

Reactions: creamery freak
The Desanto and Warner instances have nothing to do with MFF’s. Coaches decide what’s best for their wrestlers. Fans can agree or disagree. However when one fan base calls out a coach for doing something their own coach has done in the past that is the definition of hypocrisy.
I’ll speak for this fanbase and say the comments are more around your guys aren’t as tough as you see yourself by the 5 recent examples I referenced. Looks like a pattern. How many times did Gable do it? I would have loved to see J/N and Gable do his thing as a fan for my entertainment. Iowa cannot play the tough card anymore, that’s all I’m saying.

Last edited:
It was a fabulous tournament for Michigan. I can’t remember (ever) a team having all 10 guys at or better than seed. PSU was solid too, with 8 of 10 wrestling to seed or better. With decompression at NCAA’s, if something similar happens, I really like our chances.
On the flip side, Iowa left the tournament limping to a distant third with half their team MFFing out of the tournament. Not good heading into the NCAAs as the defending champ...

Has nothing to do with my look. Just thought he gave me all sorts of hell for saying things along those lines early in the season that maybe he should go give it to them as well. Appreciate the concern tho…
I’m staying off their board and I am better for it. But I did catch a thread saying they should schedule differently in the weeks before Big Tens, comparing them wrestling Nebraska and OKST to PSU wrestling Rider going into the conference tournament. Here I thought such things don’t matter.

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
I’m staying off their board and I am better for it. But I did catch a thread saying they should schedule differently in the weeks before Big Tens, comparing them wrestling Nebraska and OKST to PSU wrestling Rider going into the conference tournament. Here I thought such things don’t matter.
That's typical tHR BS.

Its how they train not their schedule that contributes to all these athletes breaking down.

That’s the kinda stuff that makes that board so f*n to visit. They never stop to think about what they are saying, how things can come back on them and Im now convinced they have no idea that some folks remember what they say. I didn’t care enough to dig but I’d bet the same ones now claiming maybe something is up with Assad whether it be burnt out or not being in love with the sport anymore are the same ones that gave me shit for saying it months and months ago. If that’s so, that’s some really f*n stuff! Lol.

I’ll speak for this fanbase and say the comments are more around your guys aren’t as tough as you see yourself by the 5 recent examples I referenced. Looks like a pattern. How many times did Gable do it? I would have loved to see J/N and Gable do his thing as a fan for my entertainment. Iowa cannot play the tough card anymore, that’s all I’m saying.
I’m fine with that. Someone saying they’re tough doesn’t affect the outcome at Nationals. Worsening an injury at a conference tourney to the point a wrestler can no longer compete or is hindered further does affect the outcome at Nationals. I choose what’s best for Nationals as the Iowa coaching staff did as well.

That's typical tHR BS.

Its how they train not their schedule that contributes to all these athletes breaking down.
Another good example of things coming back to haunt them. While they were celebrating the return of all their guys, they were laughing at me for suggesting that bringing back beaten and battered old guys may not be as great as they are making it out to be. Now it’s possible two weeks will magically fix all that is ailing them and I’ll look really dumb (well…more than usual anyway) but I doubt it.

I love reading threads on HR that state they should do things like Cael does!
Next thing we will hear coming out of Iowa City is the planned addition of a dodge ball court inside the new wrestling complex.

I’m fine with that. Someone saying they’re tough doesn’t affect the outcome at Nationals. Worsening an injury at a conference tourney to the point a wrestler can no longer compete or is hindered further does affect the outcome at Nationals. I choose what’s best for Nationals as the Iowa coaching staff did as well.
I agree. Think they did right thing. I said early in the season that I wouldn’t wrestle Kem till after new year and all their older guys I’d put on a major pitch count. I think the Brands did that and it was the right decision. Time will tell if it was enough to get them through the big dance.

I love reading threads on HR that state they should do things like Cael does!
Next thing we will hear coming out of Iowa City is the planned addition of a dodge ball court inside the new wrestling complex.
Rumor has it that’s why they went over budget. That’s all nothing but speculation tho… lol

Reactions: nitlion6
Again, if they all show to be injured, underperform seeds (again, Shak went 2-2 as the 2 seed), I will be the first one here saying they clearly were hurt and shouldn't have been wrestling.

If they show out and the guys who sat out go like 2 champs, 2 2nds, or wrestle to seeds, pretty clear there was something fishy.

And if the answer is, "Guys can get healthy in 10 days", then the injury wasn't bad enough to have to sit out.

That's typical tHR BS.

Also you are 100 percent correct most years but I’d be willing to bet Brands did some things differently this year. Setting Lee in some matches early, Desanto some, Eireman some, Murin some and Kem… I think he backed off on the training a bit this year. My opinion he saw what could happen but unfortunately it may not have been enough to get them through.

His semifinal interview was funny. Did you see him rolling his eyes when he talked about being surrounded by good teammates and coaches? It was like somebody had a gun to the back of his head and was telling him what to say.

I don't think he was rolling his eyes as much as trying really hard to find the right thing to say. Dude comes across as extremely socially awkward to me. I genuinely don't think he knows how to interact with other people.

Again, if they all show to be injured, underperform seeds (again, Shak went 2-2 as the 2 seed), I will be the first one here saying they clearly were hurt and shouldn't have been wrestling.

If they show out and the guys who sat out go like 2 champs, 2 2nds, or wrestle to seeds, pretty clear there was something fishy.

And if the answer is, "Guys can get healthy in 10 days", then the injury wasn't bad enough to have to sit out.
The suggestion that we as fans, with no real information, get to judge just how legitimate a wrestlers injuries are is absolutely absurd.

Shak sat in the finals, Iowa fans thought it was the end of the world. Now their guys sit in the finals and the roles are reversed. The fans' reaction means nothing because it's based on nothing other than who is doing the sitting.

The suggestion that we as fans, with no real information, get to judge just how legitimate a wrestlers injuries are is absolutely absurd.

Shak sat in the finals, Iowa fans thought it was the end of the world. Now their guys sit in the finals and the roles are reversed. The fans' reaction means nothing because it's based on nothing other than who is doing the sitting.
It is the exact same with the "byes" if it had been Iowa and Michigan with the most first round byes and 2 team points for each bye, and we had finished second by 1.5 points this board would be in the middle of a meltdown over the unfairness of those unearned bonus points.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel

Disagree.

Again, this is a path we go down to having one tournament a year that anyone cares to win, and that is why it's bad.

If we have 4 truly injured wrestlers that couldn't wrestle, it is certainly understandable, and it is also one of the great mathematical oddities anyone in this thread will ever see.

It is the exact same with the "byes" if it had been Iowa and Michigan with the most first round byes and 2 team points for each bye, and we had by 1.5 points this board would be in the middle of a meltdown over the unfairness of those unearned bonus points.
I don't understand this take.

Iowa sitting guys virtually guaranteed that they wouldn't win. Still, people wanted to see those guys, if at all possible, wrestle as everyone else did. I would rather Riddler wrestle and beat Nick than not wrestle at all. Same with Kem/Star.

The sitting is bad because it's bad for the sport. Now when they do not receive anything more than a lower seed by one or two (if at all), we will almost certainly see more in the future.

Reactions: Ski
Heavy dream seeding

1. Gable
2. Cass
3. Kirk
5. Paris.
Watched the kid from Air Force last night. He is pretty impressive, moves well for a big dude. Not Stevesen quick but quicker than most. I could see him at 3 or 4.

So how many times do you think the camera will pan over to show his wife cheering him on?
UGH! It is obligatory! I hate it. What is wrong with Marinelli's face besides being an ugly bastard, his eyes are too close together or cross-eyed? Something is wrong there. Damn Covid! I would have loved to have one more Cenzo/Marinelli match at the NC in 2020!!!

I like what Amine said yesterday after beating Brookes. No one remembers who won the Big 10s. They only are about who won the National Championship!! Nice record winning 4 Big 10 titles. Congrats!!! But if you want to be "LEGEND" like DT, Ed Ruth, Zain, Dake, Yanni. Lee, Nolf, Bo Nickal, Gable, Cenzo, Aaron Brookes you gotta win multiple NCs!!!

ADVERTISEMENT