ADVERTISEMENT

Day 2 - Offically Offical 2022 Big Ten Tournament and B1G+ Technical Support Thread

I noticed Kerkvliet had his left leg newly wrapped today. I then went back and watched that reversal sequence with Cassiopi. In that sequence Cassiopi pulled hard to the outside and against the joint on Kerkvliet's left leg. This allowed him to get in a much better position to work toward the reverse. This is also probably where Kerkvliet injured his knee.
Yeah - definitely worrisome because I believe Kerk has an unrepaired ACL and that was his good knee. That being said, he wrestled today and won both matches. It was also only a little bit of tape (not a full sleeve) Can't imagine he is doing that if it's serious.

I saw someone asked about Brady's seeding for Nationals.
Is he still near bottom because of lack of matches.???

Reactions: mjmirv
That’s why I wanted (and still do) Drew instead of Suriano. I don’t want anyone around our guys that could possibly suck the fun out of the atmosphere of our room.
I remember taking my grown daughters to the BJC in 2016 to watch the Lehigh dual (hoping to help them become PSU wrestling fans--that didn't work as planned). But that was Suriano's FR year. I was quite interested to see almost the whole team playing duck-duck-goose on the mat before the match. All, but Suriano. He stood off to the side with a very serious face. I remember thinking, "It doesn't seem like Suriano fits into this team's identity/style very well." He obviously didn't! He's an excellent wrestler, but not a good fit at PSU.

2nd place. Not a well rounded enough team with holes at 149, 125, and 165
giphy.gif

M Amine deserved OW. Very classy comments about AB. Much respect. I could have sworn Amine was gassed midway through the 2nd. Amazing effort on his part.

Going forward, does anyone think AB dials it back, just a little, with the early pace? He was gassed at the end himself. Incredible match. Tip the cap and move forward to the Tournament that matters.

WE ARE!!!
One of the things that makes Brooks great is his pace and pressure. Amine matched and even exceeded that today.

Brooks and staff will make the adjustments and hopefully get the W in 2 weeks.

I hope the guys will have better gas tanks and awareness in 2 weeks. Saw a lot of uncharacteristically tired and sloppy wrestling. That's NOT What We Do.

Reactions: NedFromYork and Ski
I’m resigned that Kirk will be on the same side as Gable. But please let Mason Paris be the Sixth seed on the same side as Cass! Cass deserves it.

I remember taking my grown daughters to the BJC in 2016 to watch the Lehigh dual (hoping to help them become PSU wrestling fans--that didn't work as planned). But that was Suriano's FR year. I was quite interested to see almost the whole team playing duck-duck-goose on the mat before the match. All, but Suriano. He stood off to the side with a very serious face. I remember thinking, "It doesn't seem like Suriano fits into this team's identity/style very well." He obviously didn't! He's an excellent wrestler, but not a good fit at PSU.
My wife and I took the bus trip to Rutgers several years ago (may have been when Nolf was injured). We both noticed that Suriano was all by himself during team warm-ups. Not even interacting with his own team. Nor were they attempting to interact with him. He doesn't seem like a "team" player unless there is some personal benefit. Definitely self-absorbed. Exact opposite of Dean/Hildebrandt.

Reactions: tomsc
So no consideration of Shak’s knee injury until the final?

So no consideration of Shak’s knee injury until the final?
don't know if they considered it, maybe they did but he felt good enough to go, maybe got worse w/ the competition. My point is just that he had been dealing with an actual injury during the season. Cass showed no signs of injury during this tournament. Ayala, Eirman, Kemm all had def issues during the season and into the tourney. Totally understand a MFF when there is an injury, which I'm pretty sure is what it's meant for, but not when there is no medical issue, which is the ? in Cass's case.

I found this interesting, so did a little research. I get McMullan's point, but his statement about 25 and 26 year olds appears to be an embellishment.

Suriano - turns 25 in April
RBY - turned 23 in January
Nick Lee - turns 24 this Saturday (3/12)
Gomez - turns 24 on Saturday of NCAA tourney (3/19)
Deakin - couldn't find exact age, but is a 6th year guy
Marinelli - turned 24 in February
CStar - couldn't find exact age, but is a 3rd year guy
Amine - turned 25 in December
Dean - couldn't find exact age, but is a 6th year guy (Finger Lakes wrestling club in 2016-17)
Steveson - turns 22 in May; a mere pup compared to most

Obviously, some of these guys wouldn't still wrestling in college if not for the COVID year, which slants the data.

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I found this interesting, so did a little research. I get McMullan's point, but his statement about 25 and 26 year olds appears to be an embellishment.

Suriano - turns 25 in April
RBY - turned 23 in January
Nick Lee - turns 24 this Saturday (3/12)
Gomez - turns 24 on Saturday of NCAA tourney (3/19)
Deakin - couldn't find exact age, but is a 6th year guy
Marinelli - turned 24 in February
CStar - couldn't find exact age, but is a 3rd year guy
Amine - turned 25 in December
Dean - couldn't find exact age, but is a 6th year guy (Finger Lakes wrestling club in 2016-17)
Steveson - turns 22 in May; a mere pup compared to most

Obviously, several of these guys wouldn't still wrestling in college if not for the COVID year, which slants the data.
Suriano
Amine
Deakin
Marinelli
Are the covid beneficiaries

I’m resigned that Kirk will be on the same side as Gable. But please let Mason Paris be the Sixth seed on the same side as Cass! Cass deserves it.
Seeing how Michigan is the team that just beat us, letting Parris get a potentially hobbled Cassioppi then Schultz might not be in our best interests lol. I'd rather let Kerk take care of business against him a 3rd time this year, take your lumps against Gable then battle back for 3rd.

I kind of wonder if Cassioppi is kind of in Kerk's head also. Kerk seemed hesitant to shoot on him when he was clearly wounded then of course the brain fart at the end. Meanwhile, Kerk seems to have a ton of confidence against Parris.

Reactions: Callthestall
I could see Iowa imploding in two weeks. If all those Seniors start losing on the front side one has to wonder how motivated they will be on the backside. They came back for one thing… a national championship. How motivated will they be going for 3rd, 5th or 7th?
same with UM... 7th year kids... long time

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Well, this is Nick Lee's 5th year of college wrestling. So while he's "only" a 5th year guy, he too is a Covid beneficiary.
Yeah he is an Xtra year beneficiary, but this will be only his 4th NCAA tournament and he is age appropriate.

Reactions: Tjsch1
i also don’t feel like UM is as big a threat at ncaa’s. they aren’t getting anything out of micic. he was gifted 4th this weekend. he only beat the 10, 13, and 14 seeds and they were all battles.
Agree to disagree, there's volatility but there always is at NCAAs for all teams.

125 - Definite finalist (looking at the 1 seed), potential winner
133 - Lower AA? 133 is dropped off after the first 3
141 - Doesn't look like a placer but truthfully, 133 drops off after the first 3 also IMO but he hasn't really beaten anyone
149 - Don't believe he'll qualify
157 - could be a lower AA or not place, certainly not finalist
165 - I actually am getting bullish on him, this was an impressive weekend from him. He's definitely a lot better now than when he first returned.
174 - Contender (not likely winner but top 5 AA)
184 - Contender, maybe favorite now (tossup with AB depending on when they meet)
197 - like every other teams 197, could be in the finals or miss the podium
285 - depending on seed (looks like 5), he's capped at 3rd

I can't believe how thin McMullan is now. I would not have even recognized him. Hopefully he is healthy.

amine is in his 7th yr of college, massa? Micic? I really think the covid gift was screwy - especially to those sr's not getting an extra year
Amine is in his 7th year. Graduated from HS in 2015. Redshirted in 2015-16. Competed next three seasons, giving Mark Hall all he could handle a few times. Finished 4th, 3rd, and 3rd at NCAAs in those three seasons. Olympic redshirt in 2019-20. "Free" Covid year in 2020-21, again finishing 3rd at NCAAs. Now in 7th and final season in 2021-22. As noted previously, turned 25 in Dec 2021.

Massa is also in 7th year. Graduated from HS in 2015. Same college path as Amine. Redshirted in 2015-16. Competed in 2016-17 thru 2018-19 (finished 3rd at NCAAs in 2016-17), with some good battles with Cenzo Joseph. Olympic redshirt in 2019-20. "Free" Covid season in 2020-21. Now in 7th and final season in 2021-22; turns 25 in May.

Micic is in 8th (!!) year. Graduated from HS in 2014. Took a RS year (at Northwestern) first year in college, followed by an Olympic redshirt. Competed next three seasons (finishing 4th, 2nd, and 3rd at NCAAs), followed by another Olympic redshirt in 2019-20. Missed season in 2020-21 ("free" Covid year) due to injury. Now in 8th year; turns 26 next month.

Michigan 143
Penn State 141.5
Iowa 129.5

Every point really does count.

Congratulations Michigan. No one was talking about you two days ago. You proved something this weekend.
But, this board was talking about Michigan a year ago.

Coulda put the hat on and not looked so much like an outsider. I cant put my finger on it, but that guy’s got some quirks that turn me off.
His semifinal interview was funny. Did you see him rolling his eyes when he talked about being surrounded by good teammates and coaches? It was like somebody had a gun to the back of his head and was telling him what to say.

ADVERTISEMENT