ADVERTISEMENT

Day 2 National Duals Results and Discussion

Can you imagine what this board would have said about 2x national champion and Hodge Trophy winner Kerry McCoy during his 19-17 freshman season (before he went 131-1 the rest of his career)?
For every Kerry McCoy, there are many Jimmy Gulibons. Rather, it's more like taking off the blue/white color glasses and being objective. If BB is who he is, then that's fine. But for some reason people like to prop him up without any evidence (just because he was a high ranking recruit?). Also, you're correct about your implication on the pessimists as they can go overboard too. I'd say just sit back and watch Cael's magic and to let everything play out this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldenanimal
OK, OK... you all have convinced me. BB will win at least 4 national titles. Offensively, he might not be a Nolf or Nickal or even any indication of being a dominant wrestler, but darn it he's gonna win at least 4 nationals titles. You'll see. I am all pumped up now! Just kidding guys. Not really, but I will reserve judgement until he goes to 41 next year.

Go Penn State. :)
so kind of you. Go Beau!

For every Kerry McCoy, there are many Jimmy Gulibons. Rather, it's more like taking off the blue/white color glasses and being objective. If BB is who he is, then that's fine. But for some reason people like to prop him up without any evidence (just because he was a high ranking recruit?). Also, you're correct about your implication on the pessimists as they can go overboard too. I'd say just sit back and watch Cael's magic and to let everything play out this year.
1) Jimmy Gulibon was a 4x NQ, Big Ten Runner-Up and All-American.

2) Jimmy was 11-8 through his first 19 matches, none of which included the Big Ten Tournament.. BB is 14-5, including a couple of losses at the Big Ten Tournament.

3) You want an internet sports fan board to be objective and not wear the goggles of their alma mater and/or favorite team?

1) Jimmy Gulibon was a 4x NQ, Big Ten Runner-Up and All-American.

2) Jimmy was 11-8 through his first 19 matches, none of which included the Big Ten Tournament.. BB is 14-5, including a couple of losses at the Big Ten Tournament.

3) You want an internet sports fan board to be objective and not wear the goggles of their alma mater and/or favorite team?
I think it’s fair to say the end results PSU got from Guilibon did not meet the expectations coming in for him. Seems that was the point of the original poster in regard to these highly regarded recruits. Of course it’s hard for fans on a message board to be objective but we do come here to talk wrestling and it is nice to have those conversations without the bias in it. Keeps some realism involved.

I think it’s fair to say the end results PSU got from Guilibon did not meet the expectations coming in for him. Seems that was the point of the original poster in regard to these highly regarded recruits. Of course it’s hard for fans on a message board to be objective but we do come here to talk wrestling and it is nice to have those conversations without the bias in it. Keeps some realism involved.
Never ideal to have to explain your own point, but mine was that Jimmy was still pretty freaking good and BB’s results at the same point of their career look better to me.

Jimmy was great at 133, not so much at 141 but he scrapped still. I also think Jimmy had HEW since Day 1 at Penn State tbh.

I don't know about all of you but our performance at the duals has me jazzed. All of our studs performed to our high expectations even granted a few close bouts.

125 will soon be Hildy-fixed
149 getting better with each match and proved he can hang with AA talent and win!
157 who can't be excited at the development of Negron. He can hang in with AA talent
165 Edsel is just solid. He is exactly the kind of guy you don't want to wrestle in March. Solid in all three positions and we have seen lightning in a bottle before from this kind of kid. Facundo who knows. I hope he shirts, but if it gets pulled I think we can all trust if Cael does so, it represents a marked jump in a loaded weight. The Scuffle may tell all, with some big competition on display.

I think the two we have now can get it done at 157 and 165.

Then there is the fact that Iowa is developing cracks all over the place. With additional Ivy pressure at the tourney our points go up their's come down.

The Az St. Match was the best December performance I can recall in a long time. Cael has a plan as always.

Reactions: BOSCO2 and mcpat
OK, OK... you all have convinced me. BB will win at least 4 national titles. Offensively, he might not be a Nolf or Nickal or even any indication of being a dominant wrestler, but darn it he's gonna win at least 4 nationals titles. You'll see. I am all pumped up now! Just kidding guys. Not really, but I will reserve judgement until he goes to 41 next year.

Go Penn State. :)
First of all…Cenzo “only“ won 2 titles.

Secondly…did you think that 2 titles were in his future after you saw the Stanford wrestler throw him to his back twice in his Rec Hall debut?

First of all…Cenzo “only“ won 2 titles.

Secondly…did you think that 2 titles were in his future after you saw the Stanford wrestler throw him to his back twice in his Rec Hall debut?
You think people judge Cenzo by that Stanford match only? Cenzo put up a lot of points throughout his rs freshman year, even in the loss to Keaton Subjeck in which it was very offensive heavy with the final score of 18-12. Please find another example as this was a poor one for comparison.

Can you imagine what this board would have said about 2x national champion and Hodge Trophy winner Kerry McCoy during his 19-17 freshman season (before he went 131-1 the rest of his career)?
I can remember watching the PSU-Cornell dual Kerry's freshman year at 190. My impression was that he was slick but not very strong. He sure had a major transformation when he went up to Hwt!! It reminds me a little of Ira Lubert in reverse, when he went down to 190. Ira was a bear of a Hwt, but we he can down to 190, he was a different wrestler. Speaking of Ira, he had some marathon elimination matches with Dave Joyner for the Hwt spot (one of them 7 OT's). A little wrestling nostalgia. But, back to McCoy, he only ever lost one match in 3 years at Hwt, and that sole loss to Greenlee at NCAA's was on a very disputed call.

It’s called paralysis
More like the ref is intimidated by the Brands antics all match long and can’t pull the trigger which would ignite the powder keg that is Terry and Tom
I can remember watching the PSU-Cornell dual Kerry's freshman year at 190. My impression was that he was slick but not very strong. He sure had a major transformation when he went up to Hwt!! It reminds me a little of Ira Lubert in reverse, when he went down to 190. Ira was a bear of a Hwt, but we he can down to 190, he was a different wrestler. Speaking of Ira, he had some marathon elimination matches with Dave Joyner for the Hwt spot (one of them 7 OT's). A little wrestling nostalgia. But, back to McCoy, he only ever lost one match in 3 years at Hwt, and that sole loss to Greenlee at NCAA's was on a very disputed call.
’very disputed’ is absolutely right

More like the ref is intimidated by the Brands antics all match long and can’t pull the trigger which would ignite the powder keg that is Terry and Tom

’very disputed’ is absolutely right
If it's true what you're suggesting, the ref is intimidated by T n T, then there is very little incentive for the little people to tone down their sideshow. Why be classy and composed if acting like a lunatic gets your team an advantage with the officials?

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
If it's true what you're suggesting, the ref is intimidated by T n T, then there is very little incentive for the little people to tone down their sideshow. Why be classy and composed if acting like a lunatic gets your team an advantage with the officials?
Speaking of this… anyone else wonder if the lack of handshakes against NC State was due to the criticism they received after the Iowa State meet in which some claimed they just went over to shake hands?

I agree. Under the current rules there are many times when the behavior of the Brands (particularly Terry) should result in a lost team point. It almost never happens!

You think people judge Cenzo by that Stanford match only? Cenzo put up a lot of points throughout his rs freshman year, even in the loss to Keaton Subjeck in which it was very offensive heavy with the final score of 18-12. Please find another example as this was a poor one for comparison.
I’m the biggest homer there is and even I was surprised when Cenzo beat IMAR to win it as a freshman.

I agree. Under the current rules there are many times when the behavior of the Brands (particularly Terry) should result in a lost team point. It almost never happens!
If I was reffing and all I could hear was a consistent chipmunk chirp in my ear and when I turned around and saw Terry following me around the mat screaming I can't imagine not just deducting the team point, but ejecting him from the competition area.
I am pretty sure if it was done just once Tom would put a stop to it. If just to make sure it did not become an administrative issue.

Jimmy was great at 133, not so much at 141 but he scrapped still. I also think Jimmy had HEW since Day 1 at Penn State tbh.
HEW? Here is what the old interweb had to say :cool:

HEWHealth, Education and Welfare
Academic & Science » Ocean Science
Rate it:
HEWDepartment of Health, Education, And Welfare
Governmental » US Government -- and more...
Rate it:
HEWHen Egg White
Miscellaneous » Food & Nutrition
Rate it:
HEWHigh Efficiency WLAN
Miscellaneous » Unclassified
Rate it:
HEWHealth e Web
Medical » Healthcare
Rate it:
HEWHard Exercise Works
Rate it:
HEWHealth Education Welfare
Community » Educational -- and more...
Rate it:
HEWHigh Efficiency Wireless
Rate it:
HEWHydrogen Equivalent Weight
Rate it:
HEWHousing Equity Withdrawal
Community » Housing & Amenities
Rate it:
HEWHome Equity Withdrawal
Rate it:
HEWHitachi Embedded Workshop
Community » Workshops
Rate it:
HEWHigher Education Worker
Community » Educational
Rate it:
HEWHigh Earning Worker
Rate it:
HEWHamilton Electricity Works
Rate it:
HEWHamburgische Electricitäts Werke
International » German
Rate it:
HEWHigh Performance Embedded Workshop
Computing » IT
Rate it:
HEWHigh End Workstation
Miscellaneous » Unclassified -- and more...
Rate it:

What does HEW mean?​

Rate it:
Rate it:
HEWHen Egg White
Rate it:
HEWHigh Efficiency WLAN
Rate it:
HEWHealth e Web
Medical » Healthcare
Rate it:
HEWHard Exercise Works
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Community » Workshops
Rate it:
Community » Educational
Rate it:
HEWHigh Earning Worker
Rate it:
Rate it:
International » German
Rate it:
Computing » IT
Rate it:
HEWHigh End Workstation
Rate it:

What does HEW mean?​

Was wondering as well. Haha.

My thoughts back at hotel in Niceville. Yes Iowa walked off without shaking NC States hands. NCS wrestlers were pissed about it too. Then announcer said let's hear it for 2nd place NC State and whole team walked across gym floor and fans cheered. Then he said let's here it for champions Iowa. Marinelli was in corner grabbed the trophy and walked off out of sight. The Iowa fans so wanted to clap for them but none came out.

Eirman(spelling) was pinned then moved a little and was pinned again. Ref was right there. It happened right in from of me. Iowa fans didn't disagree.

Really impressed how they did tonight compared to yesterday. They were ready.

Lastly I made my way over to my high school football teammate Jeff Byers. Got to chat couple min

As great as it was listening to Byers yesterday being able to watch the guys shine really was satisfying. This team is very exciting and I'm sure we haven't seen the best of them yet. Hell of a night

Rate it:
Rate it:
HEWHen Egg White
Rate it:
HEWHigh Efficiency WLAN
Rate it:
HEWHealth e Web
Medical » Healthcare
Rate it:
HEWHard Exercise Works
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Rate it:
Community » Workshops
Rate it:
Community » Educational
Rate it:
HEWHigh Earning Worker
Rate it:
Rate it:
International » German
Rate it:
Computing » IT
Rate it:
HEWHigh End Workstation
Rate it:

What does HEW mean?​

Working plant material into baskets and the like by hand.

Me too and did I ever come unglued when it happened. My wife still brings that up lmfao
I remember it well. I kept thinking once he kept the riding time over 1:00 min. that IMAR would have to come to Cenzo....I was still stunned. If my ceilings were lower I would have definitely broken a wrist and possibly a neck. Worth it :)

I remember it well. I kept thinking once he kept the riding time over 1:00 min. that IMAR would have to come to Cenzo....I was still stunned. If my ceilings were lower I would have definitely broken a wrist and possibly a neck. Worth it :)
Just rewatched it again. Easily my favorite match all-time.

Reactions: Cali_Nitt

MarthaSnoopNodding.gif

Wait, is the rest of Iowa‘s team so hunched over from scoliosis that they are below the frame?

Reactions: danoftw
I don't know about all of you but our performance at the duals has me jazzed. All of our studs performed to our high expectations even granted a few close bouts.

125 will soon be Hildy-fixed
149 getting better with each match and proved he can hang with AA talent and win!
157 who can't be excited at the development of Negron. He can hang in with AA talent
165 Edsel is just solid. He is exactly the kind of guy you don't want to wrestle in March. Solid in all three positions and we have seen lightning in a bottle before from this kind of kid. Facundo who knows. I hope he shirts, but if it gets pulled I think we can all trust if Cael does so, it represents a marked jump in a loaded weight. The Scuffle may tell all, with some big competition on display.

I think the two we have now can get it done at 157 and 165.

Then there is the fact that Iowa is developing cracks all over the place. With additional Ivy pressure at the tourney our points go up their's come down.

The Az St. Match was the best December performance I can recall in a long time. Cael has a plan as always.
I'm not as optimistic about 157 as you. However, I don't think we'll need points there. With Hildebrandt making the podium, the chance that Facundo scores points along with Murin, Young and Warner underperforming at NCAAs will be enough for us to win the title. This is all assuming our studs perform as always, which they will.

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: nitlion6
I'm more concerned about Beaus bottom wrestling. I think the neutral offense will come in time..
I’m now starting to become concerned with his neutral offense as well.

Has anyone other than Sasso really rode him all that much? Honest question. My brain is a vacuum on the subject.

I was wondering the same thing. Working out from bottom against the better wrestlers is a concern for ANY underclassman (and some upperclassmen), but I think Beau is skilled and active enough that not many will work him over from the top position. It's certainly worth his and the coaches' consideration obviously, but I'm not sure it's going to be an ongoing issue either.
. I think it’s becoming an issue.

My “novice eye” is telling me Beau hasn’t been particularly good in any position, something I’m sure he knows and the coaches are addressing. I know many feel it’s a “horsepower” issue but I’m not seeing it. It looks like very poor technique to me. I actually think he looked better at times last year than he has this year.

I’m now starting to become concerned with his neutral offense as well.

. I think it’s becoming an issue.

My “novice eye” is telling me Beau hasn’t been particularly good in any position, something I’m sure he knows and the coaches are addressing. I know many feel it’s a “horsepower” issue but I’m not seeing it. It looks like very poor technique to me. I actually think he looked better at times last year than he has this year.
Lovett is a clearly a bad matchup for him--one long dude, and against on not-at-all long dude. Beau's going to figure some things out here--but he's having some trouble w/ the top 10 for sure. Sasso was a good match--he did get that reversal on him.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT