ADVERTISEMENT

Day 1 National Duals Results & Discussion

I'd say something is off with Warner since he's just decisioning non NQ level guys but then I remembered that's just how he wrestles lol.
i thought he actually looked pretty good today haha. go check out his first takedown against cmu. extremely slick head in the whole thing out of double underhooks. see that occasionally in greco. favorite move of the day with bryants duck on murin

Nice win tonight. Only real disappointment was at 157 for me. I want to believe Joe figures things out, but I'm not sure anymore. 165 was more or less a coinflip that went to Cornell, while 125 and 149 were about what you would expect. Anybody we put out at 125 was getting drilled by Vito, and Beau wasn't beating Yanni. He didn't get pinned or teched. He competed. It's a start. We shore up 125 with our transfer, and figure something out at even one of 157/165 we will be right in the thick of things come March.

i thought he actually looked pretty good today haha. go check out his first takedown against cmu. extremely slick head in the whole thing out of double underhooks. see that occasionally in greco. favorite move of the day with bryants duck on murin
Warner has quite a bit in his arsenal offensively .... he just doesn't like using it a lot. Hard to criticize too much when he's very difficult to take down and just wins.

Reactions: js8793
Bartlett is very good. He just happened to go up against someone who is (now) 74-1. Give BB some credit here!
I agree; I didn't think BB wrestled poorly at all. Yianni was really getting after it in that match and still only managed a major on the riding point. Yianni is world class; BB has maybe 15 collegiate matches and is wrestling up (at least) one weight class. I was fine with what I saw tonight.

Round 6 results

Iowa 28 Lehigh 7

125 - Spencer Lee (Iowa) maj Jaret Lane (Lehigh) 4-0. [ this score might be incorrect. I thought it was 8-0]

133 - Austin DeSanto (Iowa) tech Satoshi Abe (Lehigh) 20-5

141 - Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) dec Connor McGonagle (Lehigh) 8-3

149 - Manzona Bryant (Lehigh) dec Max Murin (Iowa) 7-5SV

157 - Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) maj Kaleb Young (Iowa) 11-2

165 - Alex Marinelli (Iowa) dec Brian Meyer (Lehigh) 6-2

174 - Nelson Brands (Iowa) dec Jake Logan (Lehigh) 3-2

184 - Abe Assad (Iowa) maj AJ Burkhart (Lehigh) 16-5

197 - Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec JT Davis (Lehigh) 6-1

285 - Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) dec Jordan Wood (Lehigh) 3-2

Penn State 21 Cornell 16

125 - Vito Arujau (Cornell) fall Jakob Campbell (Penn State) :58

133 - Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State) maj Dom LaJoie (Cornell) 21-9

141 - Nick Lee (Penn State) maj Cole Handlovic (Cornell) 13-3

149 - Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) maj Beau Bartlett (Penn State) 11-3

157 - Colton Yapoujian (Cornell) dec Joe Lee (Penn State) 4-2

165 - Julian Ramirez (Cornell) dec Creighton Edsell (Penn State) 7-5

174 - Carter Starocci (Penn State) dec Chris Foca (Cornell) 3-2

184 - Aaron Brooks (Penn State) maj Jonathan Loew (Cornell) 15-3

197 - Max Dean (Penn State) dec Jacob Cardenas (Cornell) 4-2

285 - Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State) dec Lewis Fernandes (Cornell) 5-0
Is Kemdog hurt?

149 BB vs Yianni

Yianni was really after it in that match
Yianni guilted into giving extra effort tonight vs PSU since he didn’t try vs Nick Lee in OTT consolations this April.

——-

Matches tonight were very f*n to watch in person. Fantastic arena. Enjoyed watching from the upper track.

Pretty rare opportunity to watch 2 complete PSU & Iowa duals occurring side-by-side, simultaneously. That was a treat.

I am amazed Terry Brands can make it through a dual meet without spontaneously combusting matside.

Last edited:
Intermat's ranking of ASU wrestlers, which is ranked #3 as a tournament team:

125 - 3
133 - 14
141 -15
149 - 5
157 - 3
165 -6

174 -unranked
184 - unranked
197 - 8
285 - 3

On paper, this should be a very close dual. ASU is favored at 5 weights. And there is a danger of getting bonus-ed at 4 of them. Bartlett needs to keep it close. And our 125 guy has to avoid getting pinned or tech-ed. At the same time, we need bonus points at 174, 184, and hopefully 133 and/or 141.

Keep in mind: Arizona State snapped Penn State's 60 match winning streak in 2019. They won 19-18. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Last edited:
Intermat's ranking of ASU wrestlers, which is ranked #3 as a tournament team:

125 - 3
133 - 14
141 -15
149 - 5
157 - 3
165 -6

174 -unranked
184 - unranked
197 - 8
285 - 3

On paper, this should be a very close dual. ASU is favored at 5 weights. And there is a danger of getting bonus-ed at 4 of them. Bartlett needs to keep it close. And our 125 guy has to avoid getting pinned or tech-ed. At the same time, we need bonus points at 174, 184, and hopefully 133 and/or 141.

Keep in mind: Arizona State snapped Penn State's 60 match winning streak in 2019. They won 19-18.

We also FFT 184.. Not saying it changes the worlds orbit buuutttttt..

I was using webvideocast to broadcast the matches on my main TV from my phone to a roku stick. At times, the feed was very choppy but maybe it was my home tech. Some others reported no issues.

Round 6 results

Iowa 28 Lehigh 7

125 - Spencer Lee (Iowa) maj Jaret Lane (Lehigh) 4-0. [ this score might be incorrect. I thought it was 8-0]

133 - Austin DeSanto (Iowa) tech Satoshi Abe (Lehigh) 20-5

141 - Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) dec Connor McGonagle (Lehigh) 8-3

149 - Manzona Bryant (Lehigh) dec Max Murin (Iowa) 7-5SV

157 - Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) maj Kaleb Young (Iowa) 11-2

165 - Alex Marinelli (Iowa) dec Brian Meyer (Lehigh) 6-2

174 - Nelson Brands (Iowa) dec Jake Logan (Lehigh) 3-2

184 - Abe Assad (Iowa) maj AJ Burkhart (Lehigh) 16-5

197 - Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec JT Davis (Lehigh) 6-1

285 - Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) dec Jordan Wood (Lehigh) 3-2

Penn State 21 Cornell 16

125 - Vito Arujau (Cornell) fall Jakob Campbell (Penn State) :58

133 - Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State) maj Dom LaJoie (Cornell) 21-9

141 - Nick Lee (Penn State) maj Cole Handlovic (Cornell) 13-3

149 - Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) maj Beau Bartlett (Penn State) 11-3

157 - Colton Yapoujian (Cornell) dec Joe Lee (Penn State) 4-2

165 - Julian Ramirez (Cornell) dec Creighton Edsell (Penn State) 7-5

174 - Carter Starocci (Penn State) dec Chris Foca (Cornell) 3-2

184 - Aaron Brooks (Penn State) maj Jonathan Loew (Cornell) 15-3

197 - Max Dean (Penn State) dec Jacob Cardenas (Cornell) 4-2

285 - Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State) dec Lewis Fernandes (Cornell) 5-0
thank you dmm53!

Jacori Teemer is one who could really make things extra difficult for any of the PSU 157’s. If he gets in a rhythm on his feet, a close match could very easily get blown wide open.

I picked against Edsell in the KYPSUW thread for the ASU dual. But, having followed him throughout the season, I do think he’s got a punchers chance against Valencia. He just knows how to keep things close throughout a match so that he’s got a chance to tie it or win it at the end.

Kerk v Schultz could be a fun one. Two world class wrestlers with many accolades to their names wrestling in what could be the deciding match. Kerk has looked healthy post flu and Schultz is still a bear and positioning monster. So it should be a fun watch regardless of whether it decides the dual or not.

Reactions: diggerpup
Jackson FALL Dickinson
Barron FALL Decatur
Benton FALL Lucas
Lincoln v. Shields, cooler heads prevailed

indiana-jones.gif

I was using webvideocast to broadcast the matches on my main TV from my phone to a roku stick. At times, the feed was very choppy but maybe it was my home tech. Some others reported no issues.
Yes, when I was trying to cast to my TV it was glitchy, but once I went over to the HDMI cable it was very smooth.

Reactions: mcpat
Is it your first time watching wrestling?
Is it yours? I noted that RBY and Brooks shook hands with the UNI coaches (although it looked like RBY was just confused as to where to go), and most of the UNI guys did the same.

The Cornell wrestlers (7 or 8 of them, as far as I could tell) came over to shake Penn State's coaches' hands; none of the PSU guys did.

I thought it was a sign of respect.

Supposedly if you start two browsers you can login on both.

USA wrestling write up of the day's matches.

Note: they list tomorrow's matches in Eastern Standard Time but these times don't match what I've seen elsewhere. I'm not sure who is correct or whether times have changed.

The USA schedule shown is correct, I believe. 6pm Eastern time is Iowa-NC State; 8pm ET is PSU-ASU. Both matches are on Mat 1.

Commented to my old lady last night that commercial-less, half time-less duals for me must feel like a night in the sack with me for her. 01:30 non-stop action. She said I’m more like a minute and thirty seconds than an hour and thirty minute. But still enough time to get hit with a stall :(

Is it yours? I noted that RBY and Brooks shook hands with the UNI coaches (although it looked like RBY was just confused as to where to go), and most of the UNI guys did the same.

The Cornell wrestlers (7 or 8 of them, as far as I could tell) came over to shake Penn State's coaches' hands; none of the PSU guys did.

I thought it was a sign of respect.
Lol, it's obviously your first time watching wrestling.

I connected my computer to TV with HDMI and my feed was perfect. And I love people complaining about the announcer, JUST USE JB's FEED! So much better than any other announcer!

"LOL": Are you 12 years old?

Shaking hands has been a thing for at least the decade+ I've been watching wrestling. Why did Brooks do it?
Brooks does it as a rule, I've noticed Dean does too. I remember Matt Brown did it. I'm not so sure who else among the PSU crew in recent years ever did it. Not sure why.

How did Spencer look tonight? I did see the results.
he looked okay. he was not happy about his second match. had lane 90% turned about 6 times in the first. lane was flexible and avoided breaking 45 on the bar tilt. looked smooth on his feet and in control generally.
after sleeping on this i wonder how much spencer is a victim of his own dominance in terms of our perception of him. i didn’t even realize it but that second kid is ranked 11th in the country and spencer slept walked his way to a shutout major. kid had really flexible shoulders and narrowly avoided some turns but that’s about it.

for who else would this be considered a down performance? maybe vito was flashier against teske, but spencer was just as dominant even though he didn’t “look right.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT