ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor Tweet...

I just don't like the cop-out that the out-of-bounds lines give, and I don't trust a single ref to call fleeing or fleeing the hold correctly.
You know how many times kids should be called for fleeing in Folkstyle? I know they've tried to turn stalling into that call, but if you're willfully leaving the surface of play in order to stop someone else attempting to score: BAM! Fleeing.

Sidebar: I've also thought about a "can't be saved by the bell" rule similar to boxing, where if you are on your back in nearfall criteria at the end of a period, you must wrestle off it in order to not get pinned.

I'd be ok with a trial step out in a tourney or exhibition, but only if it would be iterated in further trials with no sense of inevitability attached. See what it does to the sport. The mat size issue remains for widespread adoption, but you can control those variables in a single event. There are a lot of things that would need adapting with this new change. Can you still get nearfall beyond the boundary? Can continuation be adopted? I dig an immediate fleeing point or even two, but not with the inconsistency it's called in free. All in all, I sometimes think we tinker too much with what is by and large a great sport, but if we had a testing platform for ideas before the decree, then I'm willing to accept experimentation.

I'm also curious how team #grateful thinks about all of this. MagicMan is now on record, but if anyone should be consulted on making Folkstyle more fun to watch, one guy's opinion comes to mind as wise to seek....

Edit: Also, agreed upon (not by fans, see JBs tweet, lol) measurement of success would be key here. I'm not convinced a faster moving match clock is that convincing, unless everyone here thinks futbol > football...

Last edited:
:D
I posted this on my Twitter account on March 26. Was thumbing through my old AWN collection looking stuff up and came across it. Use a couple of times before it was outlawed.
This was before Carver-Hawkeye was built.

DZOS-67X4AADdu-.jpg:large
WOW! Now I see what notsofastmyfriend was saying! The thing truly looks comical.

After having a few minutes to think about it since I initially wrote this reply (and as one not bothered by those who "play the edge") it would be hilarious to see the Sqwawker fans in those days going berserk over someone "playing the edge" on this mat. :D

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT