ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor believes Penn State will break every NCAA wrestling record

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
DT and Frank Molinaro were at a Young Guns clinic this past weekend.

“I really believe that next year’s team will break every NCAA record there’s every been – champs, points scored, everything,” Taylor said during a visit to Pitt-Johnstown over the weekend. “You list it, I believe they have the ability to break it. I think that’s really exciting for the Penn State faithful. Not exciting for the people that don’t like Penn State. I feel sorry for them, but moving forward, it’s a really good time to be around the program.”

http://www.tribdem.com/sports/penn-...cle_828ea9b6-339f-11e7-bffb-f34fd62a2a25.html

What a blessing that this young man is still around for this team. His ability to push the starters in the room. His ability to lead by example. His ability to befriend and inspire. Second to none.
He's going to be a heckuva coach after he stops competing, for all the reasons you cite, and more.

I don't know if the timing will work out for him to be on the PSU staff or perhaps he starts out with a Head coaching job elsewhere; I'd root for his success, unless it means he competes directly with PSU.

From what I've seen and heard, DT bleeds blue and white. There will always be a place for him here. Doesn't mean he won't go elsewhere for a couple years, but his home is here. Similar to Brands and more recently Metcalf.

There's going to be so many kids, like Cael and gable, named after this guy.

...lest you forgot...
...many years ago there was already a King David... :)
King David abused the rules by bringing a long-range weapon.

If he were wrestling today, he'd probably pull headgear, check oil, push people and call for stalling, take injury time to rest, use illegal fists to the back, ... :)

Of all the coaching prospects right now, I'd rate Taylor as tops as far as being able to battle Cael in the recruiting wars one day. Actually now that I think of it, there aren't many current head coaches that I'd rate higher as far as who kids would want to wrestle for. No way for me to justify what I'm saying so I get that I'm talking out my ass but it's the opinion I hold.

Btw, did anyone catch that interview where David said he'd be honored to coach the Hawkeyes? I'm not certain exactly what he said but I do think he said it's certainly a dream job for a prospective coach. I wonder if there are Iowa fans out there that saw that and secretly wished Iowa would dump the Brands one day and bring in Taylor. If so I'm sure they wouldn't say it out loud. Lol

Well this Hawk fan would say it..."Glady have Taylor come to Iowa as a assistant coach then take over from Brands. Any place would be just plain stupid not to take him when he is done with his wrestling.

Btw, did anyone catch that interview where David said he'd be honored to coach the Hawkeyes? I'm not certain exactly what he said but I do think he said it's certainly a dream job for a prospective coach. I wonder if there are Iowa fans out there that saw that and secretly wished Iowa would dump the Brands one day and bring in Taylor. If so I'm sure they wouldn't say it out loud. Lol

There was a thread about it over there. A lot of Hawk fans agree with Minn. It must have been between your 2nd and 3rd profiles. ;)

Reactions: diggerpup
A record score at NCAAs is certainly well within the realm of possibilities. Is 142 the record for returning points? Add Suriano to that and the record is within reach with more points at 133 and 141 (and maybe more at 197 and 285). It's going to be a fun year!

Zain (just kidding): we will break every NCAA record, even if I have to break every bone in your body ... ;)

Reactions: lionlover
It's the process. Work hard, get your life (academics, social, athletics) in order, practice, improve, be grateful, embrace the opportunities...rinse...repeat.

The records are a result, not the focus, nor the goal. They do come, but the coaches/wrestlers have other focus...and it's not on records.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
It's the process. Work hard, get your life (academics, social, athletics) in order, practice, improve, be grateful, embrace the opportunities...rinse...repeat.

The records are a result, not the focus, nor the goal. They do come, but the coaches/wrestlers have other focus...and it's not on records.
...yeah, and doing it "Cael style" means doing it at a sustainable weight instead of a big cut, mixing fun in with the training, and wrestling to score points, not just gut out a match. It's an attractive package to young wrestlers, not to mention they get to do it along with others who are also talented and committed to the same process.

It's not a secret formula, but nobody does it better than Cael and his guys.

...yeah, and doing it "Cael style" means doing it at a sustainable weight instead of a big cut, mixing fun in with the training, and wrestling to score points, not just gut out a match. It's an attractive package to young wrestlers, not to mention they get to do it along with others who are also talented and committed to the same process.

It's not a secret formula, but nobody does it better than Cael and his guys.

It's not a secret, but I don't think all coaches have bought into the weight management formula. I'm convinced Cael might see a recruit growing into 165 and John Smith would have the same kid pegged as a career 141 ponder.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT