ADVERTISEMENT

David Letterman Farewell.............

Michael.Felli

Mar 19, 2013
Johnny Carson was my parents generation; SNL was my siblings generation; The Late Show was MY generation (strated in 1982).

Haven't watched it in a while. But, it was MUST WATCH TV back in the day.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Johnny Carson was my parents generation; SNL was my siblings generation; The Late Show was MY generation (strated in 1982).

Haven't watched it in a while. But, it was MUST WATCH TV back in the day.

Letterman has been horrible, just horrible, for years. The guy just isn't funny at all. Apparently treats his interns/ employees really bad as well. It's the longest send off in history as they drag this out. Bottom line is he's nowhere near the talent of a Johnny Carson.

Letterman has been horrible, just horrible, for years. The guy just isn't funny at all. Apparently treats his interns/ employees really bad as well. It's the longest send off in history as they drag this out. Bottom line is he's nowhere near the talent of a Johnny Carson.

The only time the crowd laughs is when he does his stupid heh heh fake laugh because nothing he says is funny. Paul says funnier things than him. He sucks. I never thought he was funny, Leno at least seemed like a good guy.

Kimmel and Fallon are both way more talented than either of them. Carson was on a different plane but I think Fallon could be that type of mainstay.

Reactions: psu00
The only time the crowd laughs is when he does his stupid heh heh fake laugh because nothing he says is funny. Paul says funnier things than him. He sucks. I never thought he was funny, Leno at least seemed like a good guy.

Kimmel and Fallon are both way more talented than either of them. Carson was on a different plane but I think Fallon could be that type of mainstay.

Yep. It's more nervous laughter at something that went wrong from the crowd. A lot of the laughter you hear on his show is piped in and fake.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
I was actually hoping for Chelsea Handler. Colbert is funny but he will have to actually be himself during interviews now.
I think he will be a lot better as himself in interviews. On the Colbert Report, he often started as his character and it was a little awkward, then finished more as himself and it was much better.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
In the 80s and 90s I thought Letterman was great. When I watch now I feel embarrassed for him. He still interviews guests well (assuming he can refrain from getting political, since of course the reason people watch shows like his is to get away from politics) but the part of the show up until then is painful to watch. The audience has been trained to applaud after every joke even when they don't laugh at the joke, which they often don't because the jokes are so bad.

The audience applauds incessantly about anything and it makes me cringe not just because it's bad and cheesy but because it's the antithesis of what Letterman was in his heyday. He was counter-cheesy back then but now he's become cheesy.

I defy anyone to watch the first part of the Letterman show and tell me it's remotely funny. It's not and Letterman in his prime wouldn't have stood for it but by now he has long given up. Some of the comedy is so bad it looks like a parody attempt to make the Letterman show look bad.

Tonight the set up for one of the jokes was that a copy of the Ten Commandments was found in Israel or somewhere over there. Can you guess the punchline? The punchline was, here is the copy being made, and it goes to a video of a guy dressed up as Moses going up to a copy machine in an office and making a copy of a document. The audience responds by laughing a bit and then breaking into applause. That kind of stuff the entire first 15 minutes of the show every night. It is unbelievably bad.

I gave up watching years ago but I've been watching the last few weeks because he's winding down and it's a big deal but I've been sad to see that it's as bad as it was before. And even in the wind down, some of the guests are...who cares? George Clooney came on tonight and I switched it off. Tomorrow night it's Oprah. So it's 15 minutes of terrible comedy and then an interview with Oprah? Why even turn it on?

I absolutely loved Letterman back in the day but he has been mailing it in for a long time. He should have either retired 10 years ago or else made an effort to step up his game big time.

I was actually hoping for Chelsea Handler. Colbert is funny but he will have to actually be himself during interviews now.
:

I was a regular viewer of Chelsea Lately on E! Many of her rotating panel members were quite funny, unless the off color stuff did not go over well with you. I miss that she left for Netflix.

Johnny was an a-hole as well.... not a good person nor a great family-man according to many reports... And really - other than good looks, golf-skillls, amateur-magic, and stretching shtick for decades - what talent did Johnny really have? Letterman introduced us to a self-depricating, irreverent broadcasting style that became the foundation for Conan, Jon Stewart, Colbert, Fallon and 85% of stand-ups and lesser-known broadcasting personalities across the free world. Johnny gave us Floyd R Turbo and bad suits from Sears Roebuck. As a Letterman worshipper back in the eighties/early nineties - I agree that he is now virtuably unwatchable... writing is simply awful for the most part... his attitude even worse... it's easy to see Dave is simply a miserable man inside, except when he is at the track

In the 80s and 90s I thought Letterman was great. When I watch now I feel embarrassed for him. He still interviews guests well (assuming he can refrain from getting political, since of course the reason people watch shows like his is to get away from politics) but the part of the show up until then is painful to watch. The audience has been trained to applaud after every joke even when they don't laugh at the joke, which they often don't because the jokes are so bad.

The audience applauds incessantly about anything and it makes me cringe not just because it's bad and cheesy but because it's the antithesis of what Letterman was in his heyday. He was counter-cheesy back then but now he's become cheesy.

I defy anyone to watch the first part of the Letterman show and tell me it's remotely funny. It's not and Letterman in his prime wouldn't have stood for it but by now he has long given up. Some of the comedy is so bad it looks like a parody attempt to make the Letterman show look bad.

Tonight the set up for one of the jokes was that a copy of the Ten Commandments was found in Israel or somewhere over there. Can you guess the punchline? The punchline was, here is the copy being made, and it goes to a video of a guy dressed up as Moses going up to a copy machine in an office and making a copy of a document. The audience responds by laughing a bit and then breaking into applause. That kind of stuff the entire first 15 minutes of the show every night. It is unbelievably bad.

I gave up watching years ago but I've been watching the last few weeks because he's winding down and it's a big deal but I've been sad to see that it's as bad as it was before. And even in the wind down, some of the guests are...who cares? George Clooney came on tonight and I switched it off. Tomorrow night it's Oprah. So it's 15 minutes of terrible comedy and then an interview with Oprah? Why even turn it on?

I absolutely loved Letterman back in the day but he has been mailing it in for a long time. He should have either retired 10 years ago or else made an effort to step up his game big time.

Concur 1000% .... your post made me recall just how bad Johnny was in the twilight of his late-night reign

Yep. It's more nervous laughter at something that went wrong from the crowd. A lot of the laughter you hear on his show is piped in and fake.

HAHA just ask Conan on how nice a guy Jay Leno is! Jay is a FINK.... works sooooooo hard to maintain the veneer of nice

ADVERTISEMENT