ADVERTISEMENT

David Jones opines on the Meyer scandal

So if Davie Boy hates liars so much why does he believe so many of them when he writes?

McMurphy should have held his information out of the light and said to Meyer that he is lying and corner him into saying it again and again and then come out with it. I think he was to quick to play all of his cards

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
McMurphy should have held his information out of the light and said to Meyer that he is lying and corner him into saying it again and again and then come out with it. I think he was to quick to play all of his cards
What makes you think he's played all of his cards?

Seems quite likely that with the widespread abuses at Ohio St, there is likely many more rocks that haven't been turned over at least publically.

I would think that Ohio St would be quite weary of clearing Meyer on their announced football timeline and then some more big shoes start to drop.

Yup! I didn’t.

I’m just reading what you guys are writing and applying some deductive reasoning.
I clicked it, and now I'm feeling guilty. :(

Actually, it was a fairly balanced look at the OSU issues, which he certainly didn't bother to apply to the Penn State/Sandusky matter, or many other Penn State topics.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

This is not directed at David Jones in particular but rather, at his “profession.”

What a bunch of sanctimonious bilge! I don’t give a $hit about the lie and neither should you. The prevailing issue is Urban enabled a Domestic Violence abuser over a period of nine years. Period. As such, it will be damn hard for tOSU to keep him employed. It can be done but it comes at a price. Suspension? Good luck with that!

Second, IMO the press deserves to be lied to. No longer are they interested in just reporting the story. Now they’ve got to shape it. To editorialize. To tell you how to think. And if that wasn’t enough they’re beguiled by their own celebrity.

The ‘free press’ is dead in this country. Journalism has become a dastardly profession; a rogue’s gallery of ambulance chasers seeking to sensationalize a story in order to advance their careers. But there’s hope. Thank God for the Fifth Estate. If you bother to go online and seek the truth you will eventually find it because the simple matter of it is this: two people cannot keep a secret let alone a group. Eventually the truth comes out. And therein lies the check and balance against yellow journalism.

I still can't figure out how you guys think you are being objective relative to Jones. His job is to write about Penn State sports and give his opinion. He's not a court stenographer, like Ronnie Christ, that only repeats the talking points given to him. Do I agree with Jones all of the time? No, of course not. Does that mean he has an agenda to undermine Penn State's sports programs? No, of course it doesn't. The reality is that writing that everything is sunshine and rainbows doesn't get as much exposure as negative stuff. He's just doing his job.

I still can't figure out how you guys think you are being objective relative to Jones. His job is to write about Penn State sports and give his opinion. He's not a court stenographer, like Ronnie Christ, that only repeats the talking points given to him. Do I agree with Jones all of the time? No, of course not. Does that mean he has an agenda to undermine Penn State's sports programs? No, of course it doesn't. The reality is that writing that everything is sunshine and rainbows doesn't get as much exposure as negative stuff. He's just doing his job.

Nope, sorry. Way too long of a history of ALWAYS taking the anti PSU football position. ALWAYS. Doesn't have to be all rainbows and sunshine but also shouldn't have to be all doom and gloom. For the vast majority of the time he's been covering the program, the positives associated with the program have far outweighed the negative. Far outweighed. Yet his opinion pieces never reflected that reality. It's because he has an agenda.

Agree 100%. At the very least, Jones is being consistent. The main benefit of media is to keep members of society honest (mainly politicians). Unfortunately, bad reporting and mass media has become sloppy. The good reporters are mixed in with the bad.

This story (and Penn State, Michigan St., Baylor, et al.) should be focusing on law enforcement and how the accused, Smith (Sandusky and Nassar) got away with these incidents and talked their way out of it. The situation should never be put on a coach to be the police. They get implicated due to poor policies. Was Smith ever mandated to go to domestic violence counseling? They system is failing society.

Nope, sorry. Way too long of a history of ALWAYS taking the anti PSU football position. ALWAYS. Doesn't have to be all rainbows and sunshine but also shouldn't have to be all doom and gloom. For the vast majority of the time he's been covering the program, the positives associated with the program have far outweighed the negative. Far outweighed. Yet his opinion pieces never reflected that reality. It's because he has an agenda.

That's not exactly true:

(1) We had a long period of time in the 2000s where we had huge structural problems with the program. Coaches who didn't hit the road to recruit, an utterly incompetent offense, and a number of assistant coaches that were complete dead weight but also were at no risk of losing their jobs. That was a negative, and it deserved to be reported on.

(2) We had a rather big scandal associated with the program in the 2011-2012 era. That era was more negative than positive, and it deserved to be reported on.

(3) In 2013, Bill O'Brien was doing a very good job but he was also being severely undermined by other PSU folk who had their own agenda. That was a negative as opposed to a positive. And it deserved to be reported on.

I don't always agree with David Jones. But I've found that's he been generally fair to Penn State. I don't think he has any sort of agenda against Penn State (or any of their previous coaches).

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
That's not exactly true:

(1) We had a long period of time in the 2000s where we had huge structural problems with the program. Coaches who didn't hit the road to recruit, an utterly incompetent offense, and a number of assistant coaches that were complete dead weight but also were at no risk of losing their jobs. That was a negative, and it deserved to be reported on.

(2) We had a rather big scandal associated with the program in the 2011-2012 era. That era was more negative than positive, and it deserved to be reported on.

(3) In 2013, Bill O'Brien was doing a very good job but he was also being severely undermined by other PSU folk who had their own agenda. That was a negative as opposed to a positive. And it deserved to be reported on.

Ok. So I'll repeat, for the vast majority of the time he's been covering the program, the positives have far outweighed the negatives. Maybe you have a different definition of "vast majority" than I do. If so, good for you

Ok. So I'll repeat, for the vast majority of the time he's been covering the program, the positives have far outweighed the negatives. Maybe you have a different definition of "vast majority" than I do. If so, good for you

I certainly do disagree with your definition of "vast majority"

Despite our occasional good years, PSU football was under-achieving for ALL of the 2000s. This continued into 2010 & 2011 also.

Then the mess from November 2011 to July 2012, that led to sanctions that lasted into 2014.

Bill O'Brien had to put up with a ton of crap as well in 2012-2013. Crap that led to his departure.

As I see it, Penn State football had significant negatives for the entirety of the 2000-2013 period. E.g., the majority of the 21st Century! It's only now that we're getting to the point where the negatives are insignificant.

This is not directed at David Jones in particular but rather, at his “profession.”

What a bunch of sanctimonious bilge! I don’t give a $hit about the lie and neither should you. The prevailing issue is Urban enabled a Domestic Violence abuser over a period of nine years. Period. As such, it will be damn hard for tOSU to keep him employed. It can be done but it comes at a price. Suspension? Good luck with that!

Second, IMO the press deserves to be lied to. No longer are they interested in just reporting the story. Now they’ve got to shape it. To editorialize. To tell you how to think. And if that wasn’t enough they’re beguiled by their own celebrity.

The ‘free press’ is dead in this country. Journalism has become a dastardly profession; a rogue’s gallery of ambulance chasers seeking to sensationalize a story in order to advance their careers. But there’s hope. Thank God for the Fifth Estate. If you bother to go online and seek the truth you will eventually find it because the simple matter of it is this: two people cannot keep a secret let alone a group. Eventually the truth comes out. And therein lies the check and balance against yellow journalism.
Cosmos, Agree with much of what you said. However, how did Meyer enable Smith? It appears that the victim here was herself regularly contacting the authorities. They were aware of Smith’s alleged behavior. How would firing Smith have operated to prevent further abuse, if that is indeed what was going on?

Agree 100%. At the very least, Jones is being consistent. The main benefit of media is to keep members of society honest (mainly politicians). Unfortunately, bad reporting and mass media has become sloppy. The good reporters are mixed in with the bad.

This story (and Penn State, Michigan St., Baylor, et al.) should be focusing on law enforcement and how the accused, Smith (Sandusky and Nassar) got away with these incidents and talked their way out of it. The situation should never be put on a coach to be the police. They get implicated due to poor policies. Was Smith ever mandated to go to domestic violence counseling? They system is failing society.
I am sorry...Jones buried Paterno with no evidence at all...yet, makes excuses for Meyer. He'd done that his entire career. Screw him.

Despite our occasional good years, PSU football was under-achieving for ALL of the 2000s. This continued into 2010 & 2011 also.

Then the mess from November 2011 to July 2012, that led to sanctions that lasted into 2014.

Bill O'Brien had to put up with a ton of crap as well in 2012-2013. Crap that led to his departure.

As I see it, Penn State football had significant negatives for the entirety of the 2000-2013 period. E.g., the majority of the 21st Century! It's only now that we're getting to the point where the negatives are insignificant.

Ok.

Yeah. No!

PSU was ranked #3 in 2005, #8 in 2008 and #9 in 2009. From 2005 to 2010 (before the JS issue hit). PSU played in the Orange, Outback, Alamo, Rose, Cap One and Outback Bowls with our opponents being FSU, Tenn, TA&M, USC, LSU and FL. In that span, we were 4-2 in those bowls. Our loss totals were 1, 4, 4, 2, 2, and 6.

Me everytime I see a David Boy article link and think about him getting a click....

0469_CC06-4_C0_E-4_FC9-_A134-61200_C5_B73_C9.gif

I don't know about anyone else but I'm having difficulty getting past this statement.

I'm not going to debate what is spousal abuse and what isn't. I do know that many marriages I've been around, including my own of 31 years, have included violent episodes in which objects were broken, walls were dinged and skin was chafed in both directions. I'm not condoning such behavior, but neither am I claiming any moral high ground.

Maybe DeFries could give the Jones family some life coaching?

"I'm not going to debate what is spousal abuse and what isn't. I do know that many marriages I've been around, including my own of 31 years, have included violent episodes in which objects were broken, walls were dinged and skin was chafed in both directions. I'm not condoning such behavior, but neither am I claiming any moral high ground."

David Jones. Wife beater and enabler of abuse.

Last edited:

Dude... we were a combined 51-13 2005-2009... that's averaging over 10 wins a season for 5 years. I often wonder what planet you are on some times. And while I agree this board can be a bit unfair on Davey Boy at times, there is a very subtle deep-ceded contempt for all things PSU in his writing. If you don't see it you're not paying attention.

Dude... we were a combined 51-13 2005-2009... that's averaging over 10 wins a season for 5 years. I often wonder what planet you are on some times. And while I agree this board can be a bit unfair on Davey Boy at times, there is a very subtle deep-ceded contempt for all things PSU in his writing. If you don't see it you're not paying attention.
Don’t let facts get in the way when dealing with dopes.

While michnitt's assertion that we had the occasional good team is incorrect, the gist of his 3 points is factual. Several coaches didn't recruit, Sandusky happened, and OB was undermined by some who were very close to the program (and in one case, used to be a coach).

Reactions: michnittlion
Don't even bother to respond to michnotalion!!! He has proven over the years to have nothing but hatred and ridicule for anything and everything related to PSU and its football program! He is the worst kind of troll in that he purports to be a fan but does all that he can to undermine the school, the program, and
While michnitt's assertion that we had the occasional good team is incorrect, the gist of his 3 points is factual. Several coaches didn't recruit, Sandusky happened, and OB was undermined by some who were very close to the program (and in one case, used to be a coach).

Double d*mn …… wow, all of the PSU haters ….. michnotalion, Davey Jones, Pennsyorifice all coming together to cover for each other! Must be really tough for you guys...… the program is going well, two eleven win seasons in a row, recruiting may be the best it has ever been, almost nothing left to b*tch and whine about! What to do ----- what to do!!!! Let's whine about the past then …….. ad infinitum!!!!

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Don't even bother to respond to michnotalion!!! He has proven over the years to have nothing but hatred and ridicule for anything and everything related to PSU and its football program! He is the worst kind of troll in that he purports to be a fan but does all that he can to undermine the school, the program, and

Double d*mn …… wow, all of the PSU haters ….. michnotalion, Davey Jones, Pennsyorifice all coming together to cover for each other! Must be really tough for you guys...… the program is going well, two eleven win seasons in a row, recruiting may be the best it has ever been, almost nothing left to b*tch and whine about! What to do ----- what to do!!!! Let's whine about the past then …….. ad infinitum!!!!

Lol, you got me. I'm a Penn State hater because I realize 3 of our coaches didn't recruit, Sandusky happened, and Jay was a source of frustration for OB.

Joyner was unquestionably the main reason. But, Jay has been no friend to OB or Franklin.

Well, the main reason he left was that he wanted to be an NFL head coach. Even if he had been treated like gold by everyone at PSU, he would have still left.

The said, I agree with you that Joyner was a source of frustration and Jay was no friend to the program during that time.

"I'm not going to debate what is spousal abuse and what isn't. I do know that many marriages I've been around, including my own of 31 years, have included violent episodes in which objects were broken, walls were dinged and skin was chafed in both directions. I'm not condoning such behavior, but neither am I claiming any moral high ground."

David Jones. Wife beater and enabler of abuse.
Jones is a first class d-bag - so now it’s ok to beat your wife because in his world everyone does it, including him and don’t tell me that’s not what he said or is implying because it is.

It's his Paterno hatred showing. He has a football culture problem.

Well, the main reason he left was that he wanted to be an NFL head coach. Even if he had been treated like gold by everyone at PSU, he would have still left.

The said, I agree with you that Joyner was a source of frustration and Jay was no friend to the program during that time.
O'Brien got to the NFL well ahead of his own schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: roswelllion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT