ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Dalton's Recruitment

Strange that they didn't mention that kid from Connecticut who was recruited by Miami. He was killer! Maybe Marshfield is 30 miles further north so recruitment by southern schools way up there is more uncommon.

Good article, sort of wish they talked a little more about how he came to his decision in committing to penn state. With all the talk about the programs that were interested in him, I would have thought they would have spent some more time on what ultimately led to Dalton's decision.

Great read. Painless to register through facebook's one-click process. Thanks for sharing. Very excited to have Danny coming to Penn State.

Have to log in to read? Can someone post the text?

I didn't have to log in to read, but here you go:

Marshfield’s Danny Dalton went from no-star to 4-star recruit

150907_WALKER_10daltonart_07961x.jpg

By Julian Benbow
GLOBE STAFF OCTOBER 02, 2015

If you had told Danny Dalton in January that his college football recruiting stock would rise from no stars to four stars in a matter of weeks, that coaches from some of the top programs in the country would come in and out of the doors at Marshfield High as if it were a convenience store just to introduce themselves, that those coaches would argue over him in the hallways, that they would sit in the bleachers for his lacrosse game just to wave at him, or that he would have to navigate the hype and hope of a hectic recruiting process, he wouldn’t have believed you.

The thought of an offer from Boston College somehow putting him on the radar of a college football powerhouse like Alabama and then that leading to a tornado of a recruiting process that would ultimately land Dalton at Penn State never crossed his mind.

In January, Dalton was a face in a crowd of talent at the US Army National Combine in San Antonio. He was coming off a 56-catch, 765-yard, 9-touchdown season last fall that helped push Marshfield to a Division 2 Super Bowl victory, but on the recruiting circuit he was an unknown tight end with no college offers looking to showcase his skills, drop off film, and get his name circulating.

“Army Combine was huge because there was so much exposure,” he said. “There were so many great players. I was unranked at that time. Just dropping my film off, if you get invited to that, the exposure’s crazy.”

The one school that had Dalton on its radar was BC. Defensive coordinator Don Brown and offensive line coach Justin Frye had made a handful of visits to Marshfield, and though they initially envisioned Dalton as a linebacker, the more they thought about the combination of his 6-foot-5-inch, 230-pound frame and his glue-soaked hands, the more they realized how special he could be on offense.

“They totally went 180 degrees and said, ‘No, this kid’s going to be a tight end,’ ” said Marshfield coach Lou Silva.

In February, the Eagles made their offer to Dalton. A few weeks later, Dalton committed.

“To be honest with you, I thought BC was going to be the biggest offer that I got,” he said.

But the film he dropped off at the Army Combine was still circulating. He had no idea how far it would reach. The recruiting tape made it to Tuscaloosa, Ala., where it caught the eye of Alabama offensive line coach Mario Cristobal.

When a call from Cristobal came in March, followed by another from Alabama head coach Nick Saban a few days later, Dalton had to reconsider.

“I’m 100 percent serious when I say I did not think I would ever be offered by the University of Alabama,” Dalton said. “I don’t think any kid from Massachusetts has been offered by Alabama, especially recently with all the success they had.

“So that was really the thing that got me thinking maybe I should look a little further than BC.

“Once everything blew up, I kind of had to step back and think, ‘Maybe I should open my eyes up a little bit more.’ ”

What Dalton thought would be the end of a calm recruiting process was about to become a head-spinning, three-month whirlwind.

He had just made what seemed like an easy decision, but now he had to make one of the hardest of his young life: de-committing from BC to sort through more than a dozen offers from power conferences across the country.

“It definitely made me grow up a lot quicker,” Dalton said. “When I had to call BC and tell them I was de-committing, that was the hardest thing I’ve ever done as a young man.”

By May, Silva was managing the revolving door of coaches.

“It was crazy,” Silva said. “Every other day, we had . . . you name the schools — all top Division 1 schools. One would leave, the other would come in. One would come in this door. He would leave, the other would come in this door. I felt like a traffic cop a lot of the time.”

Cristobal made the 1,200-mile trip to Marshfield in May to offer Dalton the rare chance to head south from New England to play for one of college football’s luxury brands. While Cristobal was sitting in Silva’s office talking to Dalton, a coach from Pittsburgh was waiting outside to do the same. Another coach from Missouri was on his way.

“It was hectic,” Silva said. “Absolutely hectic.”

150907_WALKER_10daltonart_08256x.jpg

Tight end Danny Dalton is 6-5, 230 pounds.

Penetrating the North

Silva had to think back 16 years to the last time a power conference came to pluck talent from Marshfield. In 1999, tight end Eric Worley made the jump to the Big Ten when Northwestern came knocking. Two years before that, running back Matt Kalapinski drew the Atlantic Coast Conference’s attention and committed to Maryland.

But with the South being a football hotbed and the Southeastern Conference essentially an NFL feeder system, it was more than uncommon for one of its schools to turn over rocks in Marshfield looking for talent — it was almost unheard of.

It’s been seven years since Georgia recruited Dartmouth High tight end Arthur Lynch, who went on to the NFL.

“I’ve been here a total of 43 years,” said Silva, “and we’ve never had any SEC schools looking at any of our kids.

“The SEC, they don’t come up here. They have such a fertile territory below the Mason-Dixon Line. So why bother coming up here? So I was blown away by that.

“But I met the coaches that came up here. They were absolutely downright serious about Danny coming to them as a tight end.”

When Dalton’s father talked to Cristobal, he learned that Alabama was there for a reason.

“He said, ‘We’re starting to spread out a little bit to the North because we’re looking for that kind of player,’ ” recalled Tom Dalton. ‘‘‘We’re looking for a tough kid from the Northeast.’

“I hope that when it’s all said and done, more kids in this state will get the respect that they should.”

Alabama has long been college football royalty, but its backbone since hiring Saban in 2007 has been recruiting. He’s put together top-five recruiting classes each of the last seven years, laying the foundation for three national championships and creating a pipeline that has sent 119 players to the NFL.

At the heart of that recruiting is a willingness to look anywhere for talent, even if it takes the Crimson Tide to Marshfield.

“It’s becoming more and more common for schools to go out of region because there’s more exposure for these guys,” said Barton Simmons, director of football scouting for 247Sports.com. “There’s more camps for them to go to.

“The film is easy for these guys to put together and distribute over e-mail. So it’s not a matter of dubbing a bunch of VHS cassettes and sending them out. You can e-mail a link to 50 schools in five minutes.

“So I think that has allowed schools to get out of region and take some risks on some guys.”

Alabama is among a handful of schools, including Ohio State and Southern California, with the kind of recruiting cachet to move the needle around the college football landscape. After Alabama made its offer to Dalton, 11 more schools followed — from Arizona State and Arkansas to Nebraska and North Carolina.

150907_WALKER_10daltonart_07961x.jpg

Danny Dalton helped Marshfield win the Division 2 Super Bowl last season

Continued...

“That Alabama offer is another validation for schools all over the country,” Simmons said. “If he’s good enough for Alabama to offer, then he’s good enough for us to take a look at him and why don’t we know about this kid? Or who is this kid that Alabama offered?

“You see that a lot with offer lists in general. As those offers start to pile up and as big names start to indicate that they believe in this kid, that’s going to draw attention and make other schools take a second look or a first look.”

Of course, with 91 receptions for 1,299 yards and 12 touchdowns in his first three seasons, and with his performances at camps, Dalton created his own exposure.

“I think he was helped by the fact that the regional programs had caught on to him early,” Simmons said. “Boston College obviously thought highly of him and accepted a commitment from him early in the process. So that initially validates him and can sort of get him on the radar of some other programs.

“But he’s also a guy that went out and competed in some camps. He was at the US Army Combine. He went to college camps during the spring and summer. So I think he helped himself and he has some things to him that I think attracted schools.”

As attractive as Alabama was, Dalton still had to figure out for himself where he believed he fit best.

“You’re making a decision for the next 40 years of your life,” his father told him. “Not just the next four years.”

Father’s experience

Tom Dalton knew the weight of the decision his son had to make, because when he was Danny’s age, he had to make one himself.

Tom grew up in Piscataway, N.J. As the home of Rutgers University, the town takes pride in being the birthplace of football. Tom was a three-year starter at defensive end at Piscataway High School, a place where success is the standard and churning out future NFL talent is the norm.

He was a captain his senior season in 1985, but it was a dramatically different landscape for recruiting. Film wasn’t on the Internet, it was on reels. For each tape he shipped, Tom had to wait for schools to return it so he could send it to other schools. Recruits weren’t ranked or fawned over.

“There were no star systems when I was a kid, to be honest,” Tom said.

Still, Tom had suitors. Maryland was one of the first schools to show interest.

“They really liked him,” Danny said. “That was where he really wanted to go.”

But the Terrapins were going through a regime change. Bobby Ross was giving up the reins after five seasons, handing them over to Joe Krivak. It left Tom looking for options.

Then Bucknell came knocking. Things were promising, but luck was fickle. Bisons coach Robert Curtis decided to step down after 11 years, and Dalton’s plans were again dashed.

“So two schools in a row that he was looking at and they were looking at him highly, coaches change right before they would’ve offered him or anything would’ve happened,” Danny said.

Tom ended up at Delaware, where he played from 1986-88 under Harold “Tubby” Raymond. What he learned was patience. That first-hand experience with the unpredictability of the recruiting process was something he made sure to pass along to his son.

“I made sure that he understood that in the process everyone can want to say how great you are, but always keep yourself grounded,” Tom said. “You’re the same kid you were a week ago, a month ago. Just because Alabama came in, you’re not any better or worse.

“Know everyone’s going to tell you all the things they want to tell you, because they want to tell you all the best things about you, and realize that they’re doing their job.

“You have to then find the right fit. Make sure that wherever you go, if football was taken away from you tomorrow that you’d be happy to be there.”

Decision time

The Daltons have a room in their home where they sit as a family to talk through important decisions. Every family member has a voice, including Danny’s sister, who phones in from Notre Dame.

As fast as things seemed to be moving, Dalton had a timeline in mind. He knew he wanted to make his decision by May, so that he would be able to focus on his last season at Marshfield. Dalton and a core group of current seniors, including quarterback Jack Masterson and center Shane Leonard, had turned an 0-11 team two years ago into a Super Bowl winner last season, and the goal now is to win back-to-back championships.

“That was my No. 1 thing,” Dalton said. “I knew I was going to make my decision before football season started, so none of that would be a distraction. I didn’t want that looming over my head through football season.”

In March, Dalton made two more visits. The first was to Rutgers. The other to Penn State. With his father at his side, Dalton paid close attention to the way Penn State coach James Franklin ran his spring practice. It reminded them of the way Silva and his staff did things in Marshfield.

All through May, coaches were still trying to sway Dalton. Near the end of the month, Tom was at one of his son’s lacrosse games when he heard buzz that Michigan assistant coach Jay Harbaugh and Penn State assistant coach John Donovan were in the stands.

“I was walking up to people, my friends in the stands were saying, ‘That Harbaugh guy is looking for Danny and looking for you. And that Donovan guy’s looking for you,’ ” Tom said.

At that point in the recruiting process, coaches couldn’t talk to players or parents.

“They had to kind of just walk the halls and watch,” Tom said. “Then in the parking lot kind of wave to you.

“It was fun moment as a father. I said, ‘This has really come full circle.’ I was proud but also amazed at that moment.”

None of them expected the roller coaster of events to bring them to where they are now: committing, then de-committing, at BC; the courtship by the football royalty; and the hard decisions that Dalton had to make along the way. It was not how Dalton expected his senior year to go, by far. But after all the unexpected turns, his decision was made.

“I have nothing but great things to say about BC,” Dalton said. “They gave me my first opportunity. I’m really thankful for that because if it weren’t for them, I don’t think I’d be in the situation I am in right now with Penn State, which I’m really happy about.

“It was crazy. It was really crazy, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I’m lucky to have all the opportunities that were given to me and I’m lucky to be able to go to my dream school. It was crazy, but it was definitely worth it.”

150907_WALKER_10daltonart_07806x-8298.jpg

Danny Dalton before football practice at Marshfield High in September.

Good article, sort of wish they talked a little more about how he came to his decision in committing to penn state. With all the talk about the programs that were interested in him, I would have thought they would have spent some more time on what ultimately led to Dalton's decision.

Last paragraph says it all... "I'm lucky to be able to go to my dream school"

Reactions: mn78psu83
Interesting article / video in today's Boston Globe highlighting his rise from 0 star to 4 star. From football hotbed of Marshfield Mass. Gives props to Alabama and their "Seal of Approval" in focusing on a recruit. Best prospect to come out of Boston's South Shore in many years.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...anny-dalton/7g4FABzOCGhxJgA340GYWP/story.html

If you guys appreciate Steve from Boston (and before Steve posted this my opinion was that nothing good ever came from Boston....) providing some great info, then give him some "likes".......

ADVERTISEMENT