ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Enos gets OC job at Bama................

Was there any doubt?
(Shy of Enos taking a HC job somewhere)

No, there wasn't a doubt. Which is why Gattis leaving had nothing to do with getting a better shot at an OC position. It was about the $$, which is what clearly irked Franklin--and justifiably so.

Reactions: BBrown
No, there wasn't a doubt. Which is why Gattis leaving had nothing to do with getting a better shot at an OC position. It was about the $$, which is what clearly irked Franklin--and justifiably so.

Why would Franklin be "irked" about a coach trying to maximize salary and going to the best program in the country? Was he mad at himself when he left Vandy for Penn State?

Reactions: BBrown and aworsnup
Why would Franklin be "irked" about a coach trying to maximize salary and going to the best program in the country? Was he mad at himself when he left Vandy for Penn State?

I'm assuming Franklin wanted more $$ to counter Bama's offer and didn't have the AD support on this.

How/Why could anyone even ponder to assume anything?
TTBOMK, Gattis has never been the OC at PSU....... has he??
It must be my mistake.....We seem to have no problem finding fault with our coaches and covet those who do "so well" elsewhere. What evidence do we have that Gattis would have been a better OC? Let me answer for you...NONE!

I'm assuming Franklin wanted more $$ to counter Bama's offer and didn't have the AD support on this.

I apologize. I thought you were saying Franklin was "irked" at Gattis. Yes, he should have been "irked" that he wasn't given more money to keep Gattis. Gattis may have left anyway (Bama is Bama) but it's tough when you don't have the funds to keep your staff

The difference between what PSU pays its football coaching staff, and what Alabama, OSU, UM etc pay theirs, is less than 1/2 of the amount CJF got in his last raise.

Now, I’m not saying that CJF should have settled for 1/2 the raise amount..... and set aside the rest for AC salaries (though he could have).
When PSU has 1/2 a cemetery full of dead-weight administration within the ICA, I wouldn’t blame CJF for being aware of that and thinking “Trim off some of the non-productive BS, and I could hire any damn coach I want throughout the country”.
But, at the same time, the total staff compensations are not that awful far apart. (Assuming that the figures provided for Bama, UM, OSU and the other largest spenders in the USAToday story are close to accurate)

Therein lies the problem. ICA doesn't have the money to give Franklin what he wants/needs. It's only going to get worse as Barron is starting to leach money off for non-athletic purposes ($4mm p.a. to start with the lion's share going to the arboretum). That leaves Barbour with two choices: a) either find ways to rise more money; or b) spend less on stuff that doen't bring in anything. But it seems like she has other things distracting her.

Reactions: BBrown and 81b&w
Just curious, if anyone knows. Why was there money available to keep Shoop but not Gattis? Is it the fact Shoop was a coordinator? Did Franklin not want to give Gattis the amount he may have needed?

Just curious, if anyone knows. Why was there money available to keep Shoop but not Gattis? Is it the fact Shoop was a coordinator? Did Franklin not want to give Gattis the amount he may have needed?

Just speculating. First, as you suggest, Shoop was a coordinator. In my mind, those are the guys you pay. What's the difference between a $300k WR coach and a $550k WR coach? $250k. Position coaches are largely interchangeable parts, with the possible exception of the QB coach.

Don't think that money is/was an issue with Franklin. It's Barbour. And I'd be willing to bet that she stuck the Shoop situation downFranklin's craw (See I got you the money. How much good did it do?)

Gattis?

Gattis got:
- A promo to “Co-OC”
- More $$$
- A very high profile gig
- And now is likely getting significant OC and even HFC interest

Or..... he coulda’ stayed at PSU and worked for Ricky.

Wonder what the smart move was?

:)

Franklin, and then Gattis, both made their choices.
I like CJF a lot, but IMO he made a very bad decision on that one.
Gattis, in turn, would seem to have made a very good one.

It is what it is

If it was just money then it sounds like CJF had his hands tied. If you are suggesting CJF should have chosen Gattis over Rahne.
Just to be clear
Gattis goes to Bama as a "co-OC"
Bama has great year offensively
Bama's OC gets a HC job.
No brainer for Saban right, promote the Co -OC to OC and never miss a step. Except he didn't

So Gattis should have been our OC a year ago, but after a year under Saban and Locksley he still isn't good enough to be Bama's OC. I get it.

If it was just money then it sounds like CJF had his hands tied. If you are suggesting CJF should have chosen Gattis over Rahne.
Just to be clear
Gattis goes to Bama as a "co-OC"
Bama has great year offensively
Bama's OC gets a HC job.
No brainer for Saban right, promote the Co -OC to OC and never miss a step. Except he didn't

So Gattis should have been our OC a year ago, but after a year under Saban and Locksley he still isn't good enough to be Bama's OC. I get it.

You missed one little detail. Subsequent (I believe) to hiring Gattis Saban hires Dan Enos to be qb coach/assistant head coach. Enos has a better, more extensive resume' than Gattis (and Rahne as well) so Saban's decision to promote Enos was, as you put it, a "no brainer." So it is entirely possible that in the presence of someone more qualified, Gattis, again using your words, "isn't good enough." But the bar at Bama is just a wee bit higher than it is at PSU.

Of course the bar is higher but it is the bar we aspire to. So if Gattis were to stay is he still Co-OC?
Interesting title.

People leave their current employers for higher paying jobs all the time. Why is Franklin entitled to having coaches work for him for less than they can get elsewhere?

Gattis was offered the OC job at MD under Locksley. That fell apart when the Appy State HC job came up, and later, the Temple HC job. Seems like Gattis is job searching. I'd think that would throw ice on him advancing at Alabama.

Gattis was offered the OC job at MD under Locksley. That fell apart when the Appy State HC job came up, and later, the Temple HC job. Seems like Gattis is job searching. I'd think that would throw ice on him advancing at Alabama.

I dont think Gattis will get the Temple job and he is up against the OU Assoc. Head Coach and GA Tech DC for the App State role. Both have coached at App State. He very well may be back at Alabama or take the MD OC job. Not sure how the hiring of Butch Jones impacts that.

Gattis?

Gattis got:
- A promo to “Co-OC”
- More $$$
- A very high profile gig
- And now is likely getting significant OC and even HFC interest

Or..... he coulda’ stayed at PSU and worked for Ricky.

Wonder what the smart move was?

:)

Franklin, and then Gattis, both made their choices.
I like CJF a lot, but IMO he made a very bad decision on that one.
Gattis, in turn, would seem to have made a very good one.

It is what it is

I'm not sure yet. IMO, the jury is still out on him.
I liked some of what RR has done and other times think he was in over his head.
But I think he deserves another year to see what happens.

I don't want to put words in that posters mouth but I don't think he meant that Franklin was "irked" at Gattis more so the Administration and needing it to pony up some bucks to at least try and keep up with the bigger dogs.
At least thats what I got from his post and reading other things from Nate and Ryan on the topic.

Reactions: TheGLOV
It is reasonable to assume the fan base would be sour on Gattis if he stayed and became the OC.

I was hoping Gattis would get the OC job at PSU. I liked what I had seen from him in recruiting and working with the WR's and thought he deserved it. But I also don't have many of the "issues" that other have with RR. Some of the struggles on offense can be put directly on the players. But I do think there were times when RR was in over his head and the game plans were lacking and very few if any in game adjustments were made.
That being said I think RR deserves another year at OC. I would call this past season (depending on the bowl game) incomplete, if I was grading it.

The difference between what PSU pays its football coaching staff, and what Alabama, OSU, UM etc pay theirs, is less than 1/2 of the amount CJF got in his last raise.

Now, I’m not saying that CJF should have settled for 1/2 the raise amount..... and set aside the rest for AC salaries (though he could have).
When PSU has 1/2 a cemetery full of dead-weight administration within the ICA, I wouldn’t blame CJF for being aware of that and thinking “Trim off some of the non-productive BS, and I could hire any damn coach I want throughout the country”.
But, at the same time, the total staff compensations are not that awful far apart. (Assuming that the figures provided for Bama, UM, OSU and the other largest spenders in the USAToday story are close to accurate)

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking there are a lot of "helper" associate AD's that could probably go and free up some salary.;)

Was that legit or just a rumor on this board?

FWIW (and someone wouldnhave to check to be 100% certain), IIRC, Gattis was in the PSU Staff when Donovan left - and was replaced by Moorhead. So, if that’s accurate, he didn’t leave in that case - even though he was not the guy promoted.
Gattis came from Vandy with CJF- which means that CJF had not one, but two chances to make him OC. So while some here may think he should have been our OC, the guy who matters did not.

I'm going to trust CJF on that over anyone here.

I was hoping Gattis would get the OC job at PSU. I liked what I had seen from him in recruiting and working with the WR's and thought he deserved it. But I also don't have many of the "issues" that other have with RR. Some of the struggles on offense can be put directly on the players. But I do think there were times when RR was in over his head and the game plans were lacking and very few if any in game adjustments were made.
That being said I think RR deserves another year at OC. I would call this past season (depending on the bowl game) incomplete, if I was grading it.
This is not intended as a response to your opinion, which I think is largely fair and measured.
I don't know how "we" are qualified to determine if JF made the right choice for OC. With the exception of 1 year at Western Michigan, Gattis spent his entire coaching career under Franklin. Rahne, worked for JF beginning in '06 at Kansas. I trust that Coach Franklin had perhaps a tiny bit more insight when he made his decision. But I bow to the resident experts, who are not always right, but are never wrong.
When one sees how Barkley is performing on a sub par team in the NFL, it should give one some understanding to how devastating his loss alone, was to the offense. It is not a matter of plugging Miles Sander's stats into the equation and calling it a "wash." Teams game planned around stopping SB and were willing to gamble with the other components of the offense. I might add that Rahne did more than ok with the same lineup at the Fiesta Bowl. I guess he forgot how to coach over the winter.
I am not a Rahne apologist. Nor are we related. I just tend to avoid the trend to blame the coaching for every perceived "underachievement."
Results in football (we know this if we ever played or coached) are not straight line accurate. Purdue beat OSU....Army took OU into overtime....Maryland beat Texas...and so on. Again, it just seems that all one needs to do is coach here in order to be an idiot. Unless one leaves.....then we pine for their return!

s

b

Gattis came from Vandy with CJF- which means that CJF had not one, but two chances to make him OC. So while some here may think he should have been our OC, the guy who matters did not.

I'm going to trust CJF on that over anyone here.
Please avoid assumptions that the guy who makes 5 M to do the job knows more football than a teacher, lawyer, insurance executive, an accountant or a plumber! If you can drink a beer and watch college game day..........

ADVERTISEMENT