ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Collegian writes editorial about Spanier that is so bad

TenerHallTerror

Oct 18, 2016
It elicited this comment of support from JocktsrapJohnny:

"Your editorial is quite good and I wish more alumni would listen."

no link, they suck. they don't deserve the traffic:

Although a verdict was reached in Spanier's case, we shouldn't stop learning from it

This past weekend, former Penn State President Graham Spanier formally faced three felony charges for his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case.

Ultimately, Spanier was found guilty of one charge of child endangerment on Friday.

Tim Curley, former athletic director, and Gary Schultz, former Penn State vice president for finance and business, both pled guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment charges.

Spanier’s verdict, along with Curley and Schultz pleading “guilty” for their actions, marked the end of a six-year long legal battle following accusations that the three were allegedly covering up incidents that occurred at the hands of Sandusky.

Penn State in 2011 — when Sandusky was arrested and Spanier ultimately lost his position as university president -- is a very different place in 2017.

We have reached a point where students have become blissfully unaware of who Spanier, Curley and Schultz are, and can be completely naive to their roles at Penn State six years ago.

However, just because students can comfortably ignore the infamous mark that these men left on our campus does not mean that they should.

On the contrary — it’s critical to remember that Penn State’s leaders did not act appropriately when it came to the actions of Sandusky, and to learn from it as we move into the future of our university.

Unfortunately, the story of 45 cases of child sexual abuse and a university unexpectedly thrown into crisis is the first thing that most people associate with Penn State University.

Whether you like it or not, saying that you attend Penn State carries this connotation.

So now, as the next generation of Penn Staters, we must do better. We must stay informed, not be blinded by idolization and encourage our leaders to be honest with us.

This case reminds us that we must do better as a community and a university, and it’s something that we will always be able to learn from as a permanent part of our history.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly described the legal proceedings involving Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. Both testified in the trial against Graham Spanier and pled guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment charges. The above article has been updated to reflect the correct information. The Daily Collegian apologizes for this error.

Opinions Editor Caroline Crasnick can be reached by email at cmc6176@psu.edu. Follow her on Twitter at @ccrasnick.

F-(k the Collegian. If I was a high school student looking for a place to go to college, and read that piece of garbage coming from a University's own newspaper, I go anywhere but there. I don't need to be labeled as a pedophile enabler the rest of my life as their own University's newspaper infers I will be.

Trying to divide the Alumni base into pre-2011 el-creepos and post 2011 do-gooders makes me want to puke. "2017 Penn State" can't hold a candle to what it used to be. My wife and I both agree that we were SOOOO lucky to have attended the University when we did in the early 1970s. Kids that go there today don't know what they truly missed.

For Miss Caroline and her editorial board at the state's flagship university to be so ill-informed of the facts of the actual case affecting her university, and the corrupt methods by which the state's office of attorney general used to charge these admins at her university - is mind boggling.

I would hope that Miss Caroline never has a family member or herself wrongly accused of a crime, have that sensationalized in the media, and then have to battle it out in court.

For Miss Caroline and her editorial board at the state's flagship university to be so ill-informed of the facts of the actual case affecting her university, and the corrupt methods by which the state's office of attorney general used to charge these admins at her university - is mind boggling.

I would hope that Miss Caroline never has a family member or herself wrongly accused of a crime, have that sensationalized in the media, and then have to battle it out in court.

The whole thing is avoided if someone calls the cops.

Keep ignoring that.

The real problem is, the Collegian, Like the Student Government, are mouthpieces of the powers that be. Both have never expressed the opinions and concerns of the vast majority of students.

This is another example of how misinformation reinforces the ability of a few to influence the perception of many - the public.

Misinformation is created when you present a news which only covers a selected portion of a situation's details when it presents the summary of a news story's content. This kind of one sided reporting used to be called Propaganda.

This is (at best) a personal opinion piece and should be listed as such. However, as we have seen, opinions today are being promoted by the media as "facts". This is inherently wrong as it established a "politically" based narrative, not necessarily an accurate view of a situation. This narrative that is ultimately established then becomes "Politically Correct" and eventually dictates the actions of society by what is only "Politically Correct". REMEMBER...Garbage in = Garbage out!

PC values can eventually replace all opposing "common sense" and what is expected as "right under the law". When this happens society is directed away from its inherent sense of right-and-wrong. It is this basic value position that would normally form the foundation of evaluating all public actions and events. This slow process of removing the need for right and wrong standards is a PROVEN way to destroy freedom, personal legal protections. For those who have the most opportunity to influence PC standards - like government - they become benefactors of a public that is PC and believes WITHOUT QUESTION the one-sided propaganda.

Freedom of the Press was established as a "protected right" because in a society "..of the people, by the people, for the people..." it is the citizens that are supposed to direct the government. With the kind of misinformation we have seen the past 6 years and the suspicious motives our state government has exhibited over the past 6 years of activity, someone needs to challenge the one-sided propaganda that this article promotes. These points should be emphasized - how much LESS "Paid State Protection agencies" did than Penn State and how TSM was the ultimate party responsible for anything involving Sandusky's behavior in 2001. Following the Propaganda standard information does nothing but cover-up for those failings outside of PSU.

But again....its a "College Newspaper"....it will easily swallow "The BIg Lie" of propaganda because PC is the path of least resistance. It is easy, fast and it "Twitters well".

As I have said numerous times in the past - this has happened before to world society. Ask the Germans how being Politically Correct and not questioning Propaganda worked out for them!

Last edited:
Tired of the attitude of some Penn State students -- so I wrote back to her, will it help? Maybe, at least with me !
========================

The latest ‘news’ article under your signature has finally reached my desk. To me, and perhaps many others, it is unfortunate that it lacks thorough research. Please understand, you are not alone in this regard, as many other writers suffer the same problem. The national media has obligated itself to a bias that will take years to correct, or personalities strong enough to cause a correction.

As an older alum with over 50 years of experience in Marketing and Sales, I can attest that success will not be granted to puff pieces that lack information. Everyone looks for a solid story with facts and a background to support the intentions of the writer – or the ‘salesman/person’. And do not forget, that is what you are doing – selling a story, or convincing someone that what you have learned about your ‘product’, and are reporting is your best examination of all the competing storylines. You are not writing a fictional novel or an editorial opinion column, your submission is supposed to be void of personal feelings and present history/updates/possible present day events/challenges going forward.

Unfortunately you have written an opinion piece that will forever claim Penn State should be embarrassed about itself. And…..this is very far from the truth. It is evident that so much of this ‘story’ has not been told, and perhaps many will take it to their graves. Research may reveal some additional facts or information, but the Penn State alum of yesteryear and the Penn State student of today is verifiably enriched by the education and social experience at Penn State. There is none other like it in the USA.

May I wish you success in any future you might attain. Should you continue writing, please consider a great amount of research before fingers hit the keys.

Tired of the attitude of some Penn State students -- so I wrote back to her, will it help? Maybe, at least with me !
========================

The latest ‘news’ article under your signature has finally reached my desk. To me, and perhaps many others, it is unfortunate that it lacks thorough research. Please understand, you are not alone in this regard, as many other writers suffer the same problem. The national media has obligated itself to a bias that will take years to correct, or personalities strong enough to cause a correction.

As an older alum with over 50 years of experience in Marketing and Sales, I can attest that success will not be granted to puff pieces that lack information. Everyone looks for a solid story with facts and a background to support the intentions of the writer – or the ‘salesman/person’. And do not forget, that is what you are doing – selling a story, or convincing someone that what you have learned about your ‘product’, and are reporting is your best examination of all the competing storylines. You are not writing a fictional novel or an editorial opinion column, your submission is supposed to be void of personal feelings and present history/updates/possible present day events/challenges going forward.

Unfortunately you have written an opinion piece that will forever claim Penn State should be embarrassed about itself. And…..this is very far from the truth. It is evident that so much of this ‘story’ has not been told, and perhaps many will take it to their graves. Research may reveal some additional facts or information, but the Penn State alum of yesteryear and the Penn State student of today is verifiably enriched by the education and social experience at Penn State. There is none other like it in the USA.

May I wish you success in any future you might attain. Should you continue writing, please consider a great amount of research before fingers hit the keys.
At the end of the day, Penn State reported outside the university in 1998 & 2001. Despite that, Penn State is taking the fall for the failures of many. For example, Jack Raykovitz and The Second Mile failed the following state mandate in 2001:
ndmn83.jpg

Has anyone pointed out to Little Miss Brilliance that the PA OAG was 3-for-28 in regards to charges and indictments brought against C/S/S - all 3 of them reduced to misdemeanor and 100% failure on ALL felony and conspiracy charges brought??? Only in the La La Land of corrupt Pennsylvania and the Ivory Tower could we be entertained to the fantasy that the OAG getting 3 misdemeanor convictions (2 by plea-bargain) while bringing 28 Felony Indictments is a resounding victory for the corrupt OAG and clearly shows the strength of their case??? I'm glad I no longer live in the rat-infested, corrupt-lawyer-run, tyrannical $hithole that PA has become - it makes ancient Rome look like a "Den of Righteousness"!

Although a verdict was reached in Spanier's case, we shouldn't stop learning from it

This past weekend, former Penn State President Graham Spanier formally faced three felony charges for his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case.

Ultimately, Spanier was found guilty of one charge of child endangerment on Friday.

Tim Curley, former athletic director, and Gary Schultz, former Penn State vice president for finance and business, both pled guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment charges.

Spanier’s verdict, along with Curley and Schultz pleading “guilty” for their actions, marked the end of a six-year long legal battle following accusations that the three were allegedly covering up incidents that occurred at the hands of Sandusky.

Penn State in 2011 — when Sandusky was arrested and Spanier ultimately lost his position as university president -- is a very different place in 2017.

We have reached a point where students have become blissfully unaware of who Spanier, Curley and Schultz are, and can be completely naive to their roles at Penn State six years ago.

However, just because students can comfortably ignore the infamous mark that these men left on our campus does not mean that they should.

On the contrary — it’s critical to remember that Penn State’s leaders did not act appropriately when it came to the actions of Sandusky, and to learn from it as we move into the future of our university.

Unfortunately, the story of 45 cases of child sexual abuse and a university unexpectedly thrown into crisis is the first thing that most people associate with Penn State University.

Whether you like it or not, saying that you attend Penn State carries this connotation.

So now, as the next generation of Penn Staters, we must do better. We must stay informed, not be blinded by idolization and encourage our leaders to be honest with us.

This case reminds us that we must do better as a community and a university, and it’s something that we will always be able to learn from as a permanent part of our history.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly described the legal proceedings involving Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. Both testified in the trial against Graham Spanier and pled guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment charges. The above article has been updated to reflect the correct information. The Daily Collegian apologizes for this error.

Opinions Editor Caroline Crasnick can be reached by email at cmc6176@psu.edu. Follow her on Twitter at @ccrasnick.

Like the print version of the SNL high school drama student sketches...

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

What a load of juvenile jackassery.

Imagine what Miss Caroline would think if she found out the real people who enabled and covered up for Sandusky were still holding so much influence and running the university.

Keep in mind that this is an opinion piece. Not an excuse for the butcher job, but opinion pieces are often butcher jobs. However, most that read the article will not realize it is merely her opinion and nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT