ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Collegian article on the lineup

He’s more than likely thinking Kirk goes MMA soon as he gets his degree if not sooner.
Kerk said his MMA career begins in 365 days back on Sept 29th. I dont think that means he leaves wrestling At the same time. He can fight during the off season.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if the surprises to the lineup are based on how the kids look in the room right now. Van Ness and Facundo are in the "get baptized" part of their PSU careers. Can see Barraclough riding Van Ness for a hour and Facundo unable to finish a single shot on the upperclassmen at 165.

Carter was very open about that stage of his career. All our hammers have been. Bottom line, things can change very fast once our cubs get their breakthrough moment.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if the surprises to the lineup are based on how the kids look in the room right now. Van Ness and Facundo are in the "get baptized" part of their PSU careers. Can see Barraclough riding Van Ness for a hour and Facundo unable to finish a single shot on the upperclassmen at 165.

Carter was very open about that stage of his career. All our hammers have been. Bottom line, things can change very fast once our cubs get their breakthrough moment.
All True. I'm excited to see who we roll out these first few matches of season. Gonna be interesting to see how things evolve throughout the year for sure.

Reactions: tgar and Fatmarc
Would be amazing if cruiseliner joins.
helps knock out the 125 , 149-165 holes

I think we all know that the lineup we’ll see in November/December possibly including names like Shunk, Barraclough, and M Lee, will be quite different from the end of Jan/Feb/March lineup possibly including Suriano/SVN/Facundo.

Reactions: Lyons212
Barraclough is very good, I think people want to write him off because he isn't a shiny big name recruit. I wouldn't be remotely shocked if as of right now, Van Ness is really struggling with him.
If he appears with some new bumps in those arms, he could be very, very good.
He has all the tools + brain + character.

Reactions: Ski
Did I miss the memo that Beau is out at 149?

With 1 year under his belt, I think it's a stretch SVN can hang with him, but I suspect that's what it will come down to.

Claw vs SVN vs Beau, I feel very confident Cael and will go with whomever wins wrestleoffs unless it is very very close.

I won't be shocked to see the Claw for most of Novmber, maybe even December, but if I were a betting man Beau's shirt gets burned this year at 149, then he goes back to 141 next year.

Did I miss the memo that Beau is out at 149?

With 1 year under his belt, I think it's a stretch SVN can hang with him, but I suspect that's what it will come down to.

Claw vs SVN vs Beau, I feel very confident Cael and will go with whomever wins wrestleoffs unless it is very very close.

I won't be shocked to see the Claw for most of Novmber, maybe even December, but if I were a betting man Beau's shirt gets burned this year at 149, then he goes back to 141 next year.

Wait, there’s memos???? 😱😳

FWIW, a few folks who appear to be somewhat connected seemed pretty sure about Beau redshirting.

I think we all know that the lineup we’ll see in November/December possibly including names like Shunk, Barraclough, and M Lee, will be quite different from the end of Jan/Feb/March lineup possibly including Suriano/SVN/Facundo.
Suriono won't be at PSU.. Ohio State maybe the closest he gets.

• Wow
Reactions: Creek Side
I said before, if Steen is wrestling in November, we didn't get Suriano. If he isn't, he's undecided. He's decided when he is rostered and in a singlet somewhere.

I said before, if Steen is wrestling in November, we didn't get Suriano. If he isn't, he's undecided. He's decided when he is rostered and in a singlet somewhere.

Not so IMO. Suriano is not registered as a student at PSU (or elsewhere) for this semester so we are guaranteed he is not wrestling anywhere in Nov/Dec.

The thought is he is focused on March, so if he goes, we will see him register as a second semester add and start wrestling in January. If it's PSU - great.

PS I don't think burning Steen's shirt is an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade 80
Just curious if anyone knows if Bartlett's "natural weight" has increased since last season as he was seen
as small last year for 149 and was seen as a 141 pounder, I believe, but having a national champion ahead of
you is a bit of an obstacle and thus he is at 149nds hopefully a little bigger and stronger than last year. Does Howard's injury situation look like it could be resolved with a year off and any info on Steen as I do not know much about him. Thank you. Hopefully they have a great season but an unusual one as some of the Iowa wrestler's are 5th, 6th, or 7th year (even) in college-by this time they should at least be working on a master's degree if not their Ph.D!
I think one or two Iowa wrestlers have grandchildren.

• Haha
Reactions: tgar and Str8DBLz
Not so IMO. Suriano is not registered as a student at PSU (or elsewhere) for this semester so we are guaranteed he is not wrestling anywhere in Nov/Dec.

The thought is he is focused on March, so if he goes, we will see him register as a second semester add and start wrestling in January. If it's PSU - great.

PS I don't think burning Steen's shirt is an issue.
I was just saying, I don't think Cael is going to use a year of Steen's eligibility when there's a possibility he won't be the starter by January. If Steen is wearing a PSU singlet in the Fall, my guess is we didn't get Suriano and that's final. But that's only my guess.

We wrestled Seth Nevills while working to get Kerkvliet eligible so who knows? Possible kids don't even want to be in college past 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
I was just saying, I don't think Cael is going to use a year of Steen's eligibility when there's a possibility he won't be the starter by January. If Steen is wearing a PSU singlet in the Fall, my guess is we didn't get Suriano and that's final. But that's only my guess.

We wrestled Seth Nevills while working to get Kerkvliet eligible so who knows? Possible kids don't even want to be in college past 4 years.

Well upon more reflection you could be right my friend. Although who knows if Steen will still be the guy 5 years from now when he gets to that last year, with Campbell now on the team I am leaning towards your thinking. Likewise Steen is registered for the Clarion open, which may not have been the case of he was slated to go right away.

We also have the issue of Howard at 125. I am in the camp that he grows into 133 and have my fingers crossed that he won't see another shoulder injury. However, if Howard is viewed by the staff as a career 125 then there might be little need to hold on to Steen's shirt this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: daily
BTW - when will they publish the damned 'official' roster? I have a boatload of spreadsheets to update. We're going to have to start tracking the annual roster posting like we do for the schedule each year. I want to see Dean's name in black and white (he is registered as a student of course) but some of the weight mapping might render some interesting discussions. I suspect Beaus will still be 141/149 and when they don't roll him out for the first match we will have at least another month of rampant speculation Claw vs Beau vs SVN vs Lee, granted I think that last one is settled for sure.

I agree with what you wrote but Nevills and Steen are different situations as Nevills had already used his redshirt.

I think its waaay to early on this. If Steen develops into the most viable option as a starter this year, I think that the Suriano situation will be clear by then. Thats a ways away. Right now, a month in, there's really no reason to do anything but send him to opens.

If we get to mid January and there is no Suriano AND Steen has made a lot of progress, then there's precedence for pulling a RS, but we're not there now.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Nope - Seth had a RS available in 2020 when he wrestled. He greyshirted in 2019.
Whoops yes I saw Seth go 4-1 in 2018 on WS and assumed he was in greyshirt but was still in HS. That said last year was a free year, Seth did not lose any eligibility when he wrestled for Kerk until Big Tens. So the parallel with Steen still doesn't hold up, he had nothing to lose by wrestlinlg. Could very well be wrong again, if so consider it #DoublingDown

Even if Steen wrestles this year, he more than likely will redshirt next year with a hopefully healthy Howard at 125 and RBY at 133 for his last year. I don’t think saving a redshirt for him this year is all that important.
Do we know that RBY is coming back next year? I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. Hope he does, but it seems like he’s ready to move on maybe. I don’t know his academic status though.

Do we know that RBY is coming back next year? I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. Hope he does, but it seems like he’s ready to move on maybe. I don’t know his academic status though.
Nothing is official, he tweeted a while back that it was his last year in college but quickly took it down. My guess and my guess only? He comes back. Cael will recruit him like he's an uncommitted transfer to make sure of it. It definitely depends on NIL money (similar to Gable) and how the season goes as well. He absolutely can make more representing PSU and this will be his last chance to do so.

Similarly, he posted that he was upset when the NCAA didn't give winter sports athletes in 2020 their eligibility back, implying he was hoping to get his 4 NCAA tournaments and now he can.

Kerk said his MMA career begins in 365 days back on Sept 29th. I dont think that means he leaves wrestling At the same time. He can fight during the off season.
have we ever seen anything like this? would he be fighting unpaid? have the eligibility rules lightened up?

have we ever seen anything like this? would he be fighting unpaid? have the eligibility rules lightened up?
Fighting unpaid (it's an amateur fight) He said he just wants to get a head start on his career. I'm guessing he wants to be pro ready whenever he's done with wrestling (you need a few amateur fights before anywhere signs you no matter how good of a prospect you are, Bo Nickal is doing his rounds now)

Cenzo joked on Baschamania when Kerk was on and said which amateur is going to be stupid enough to take a fight with you? You're 260 pounds with an insane wingspan and are an elite wrestler.

• Haha
Reactions: slushhead and tgar
Fighting unpaid (it's an amateur fight) He said he just wants to get a head start on his career. I'm guessing he wants to be pro ready whenever he's done with wrestling (you need a few amateur fights before anywhere signs you no matter how good of a prospect you are, Bo Nickal is doing his rounds now)

Cenzo joked on Baschamania when Kerk was on and said which amateur is going to be stupid enough to take a fight with you? You're 260 pounds with an insane wingspan and are an elite wrestler.
very interesting. is he really up to 260?

very interesting. is he really up to 260?
I believe he's usually around 260. MRSA hit him bad because he was totally inactive and developed sepsis and blood clots also and he weighed in 228 at Maryland and got back up to 238 for Big Tens.

Reactions: tgar
What if he gets nothing for the fight itself but advertises the hell out of his shorts, NASCAR style?

I know fighters at other schools and they get paid.. Just can't do it during the season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT