ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Collegian article on the lineup

Corby talked about the guy we're wondering about on "The First Word". As expected, he's shopping himself around with the NIL being the wild west and has met with Tom Ryan and Kevin Dresser. Still mentioned he is a "heavy Penn State lean" and Willie said "PSU does have the largest bank account"

I'm sure this will elicit some "He can go" or "I don't want him" responses and I'll just say, I don't think Cael shares those views.

Can ISU even be a contender if he's remotely concerned about NIL?

Second fiddle in a relatively small market.

giphy.gif

From an NIL perspective. The local market is as big as any one donor's pockets are deep.

Willie talked about Jesse Mendez getting offered $80k/year, yes you heard that right $80 friggin K per year to a highschool wrestler to wrestle at...... wait for it .... Indiana.

State college isn't the economic center of the universe for sure, I don't see some local car dealer or whatever local business ponying up that kind of cash for Jesse Mendez to be a Lion. Then again... There could be PSU Alum working as a hedge fund manager somewhere that has a hot button for wrestling.....

The next few years are going to be interesting while this craziness plays out and stabilizes and likely some reactionary governance is put in place by the conferences now that the NCAA is taking a step back.

IMO it "was" a no brainer for kids to want to wrestle for Cael and be a part of the perenial powerhouse. Now with this kind of money in play I don't know that we don't lose out more frequently on some of the best recruits to the highest bidder.

Who is Penn State's $60B man Phil Knight?

Last edited:
From an NIL perspective. The local market is as big as any one donor's pockets are deep.

Willie talked about Jesse Mendez getting offered $80k/year, yes you heard that right $80 friggin K per year to a highschool wrestler to wrestle at...... wait for it .... Indiana.

State college isn't the economic center of the universe for sure, I don't see some local car dealer or whatever local business ponying up that kind of cash for Jesse Mendez to be a Lion. Then again... There could be PSU Alum working as a hedge fund manager somewhere that has a hot button for wrestling.....

The next few years are going to be interesting while this craziness plays out and stabilizes and likely some reactionary governance is put in place by the conferences now that the NCAA is taking a step back.

IMO it was a no brainer for kids to want to wrestle for Cael and be a part of the perennial powerhouse. With this kind of money in play I don't know that we don't lose out more frequently on the best recruits to the highest bidder.

Terry Pegula is a huge donor, particularly for hockey obviously.

Ira Lubert is the big donor for wrestling, funded the majority of Lorenzo Complex out of his own pocket I believe and led the pitch to recruit Cael.

Terry Pegula is a huge donor, particularly for hockey obviously.

Ira Lubert is the big donor for wrestling, funded the majority of Lorenzo Complex out of his own pocket I believe and led the pitch to recruit Cael.
Ira Lubert isn't in the same zip code as Terry Pegula. Terry > $5,000,000,000.00. Ira <$50,000,000.00

Ira Lubert isn't in the same zip code as Terry Pegula. Terry > $5,000,000,000.00. Ira <$500,000,000.00
Does Terry care about wrestling though? I know he paid for Bill O'Brien's raise in 2013 but I think every alumni cares about football to an extent. If he's not interested in wrestling there's no reason he would donate to it. Ira on the other hand wrestled here and is deeply passionate about it.

Terry could also easily make PSU relevant in basketball if he wants but I doubt he went to many games when he was here.

IMO it "was" a no brainer for kids to want to wrestle for Cael and be a part of the perennial powerhouse. Now with this kind of money in play I don't know that we don't lose out more frequently on some of the best recruits to the highest bidder.

Neither is Bloomington. PSU is widely known to have the biggest donor pool in wrestling (see NLWC) and is located near multiple major cities with presumably large alumni bases to fundraise from. I don't think you guys are going to be on the losing end of this very often.

It's somewhat ironic that one of the big fears about this was big programs further separating themselves because of their donor pool, but the first reported example is actually a smaller program using it to level the playing field. I don't think that will always be the case going forward, but good for Angel for doing everything he can to compete with the big dogs.

No doubt about it Ira changed the game for PSU wrestling. He is the man. That said $45 Mil......? It sounds like a hell of a lot of money to me, but we'll see how insane this NIL stuff gets.

Phil Knight gave Oregon $500 Million already. The interest from his checking account may be able to fund the whole football team NIL packages tied to Nike posters.

Financially I am a minnow, we may have a few tiger sharks in our waters, but there are killer whale swimming in deeper waters.

The pendulum swings. Unfortunately for NIL we have just begun the upswing, I say it gets ugly before it gets better and the unintended consequences have not even been contemplated lest realized.

Does Terry care about wrestling though? I know he paid for Bill O'Brien's raise in 2013 but I think every alumni cares about football to an extent. If he's not interested in wrestling there's no reason he would donate to it. Ira on the other hand wrestled here and is deeply passionate about it.

Terry could also easily make PSU relevant in basketball if he wants but I doubt he went to many games when he was here.
Does Ira have Terry's number?
giphy.gif

It seems like Ira had more juice than Pegula at one point. When Battista (wanted AD), O'Brien and Pegula tried to take out Joyner, Ira was able to beat them back.

Battista was then shuffled of to Buffalo for a no work job and O'Brien left to the NFL.

It isn't always about the numbers.

The next few years are going to be interesting while this craziness plays out and stabilizes and likely some reactionary governance is out in place by the conferences now that the NCAA is taking a step back.

IMO it was a no brainer for kids to want to wrestle for Cael and be a part of the perineal powerhouse. With this kind of money in play I don't know that we don't lose out more frequently on the best recruits to the highest bidder.

Who is Penn State's Phil Knight?
giphy.gif

Lots of repeat jokes today. I laughed at them originally, but it's just hard to keep that going. 4 days left. Go out with a bang not a fizzle! You can do it

If he goes to Iowa State and the Hawks win the team title with the difference falling inside the window of net points lost by Suranio not wrestling for PSU HR will go nuts pitching in 5 bucks to buy a Suranio cardboard cutout.

• Haha
Reactions: backdrft76
If he goes to Iowa State and the Hawks win the team title with the difference falling inside the window of net points lost by Suranio not wrestling for PSU HR will go nuts pitching in 5 bucks to buy a Suranio cardboard cutout.
If he is the culprit, he will be radioactive suranium to me. Not welcome.

In today's world.........it only takes ONE person with a big wallet........or just promises of a big wallet. Since there is no 4-5 year contract.......it really is all promises. But one big donor can literally buy a stud if big money is what they seek. Putting that much $$ in front of a 17, 18 or 19 yr. old and his family is going to make for some mind-bending choices/commitments. I would guess that PSU is at a disadvantage here because many "donors" might very well conclude that "We will get someone just about as good without a ridiculous cash offer" They may be right......someone blinded by the cash may not have the inner drive to be the best they can be. Then you might see NILs with performance bonuses. So many possibilities and angles.....Going to be a wild ride

I would have to wonder if that 80k is on top of a scholarship or if that is supposed to help aide a scholarship so they can get someone else under the 9.9 or Atleast divvy the money up from Mendez to get another 2 wrestlers

I would have to wonder if that 80k is on top of a scholarship or if that is supposed to help aide a scholarship so they can get someone else under the 9.9 or Atleast divvy the money up from Mendez to get another 2 wrestlers
I am not even sure if Indiana gives out the full 9.9. Maybe HoosierLion knows

Perhaps and interesting poll question . . .

Which hypothetical causes the most rage:
(a) Suriano blocking Spencer from 4 titles as a Nittany Lion? —or—
(b) Suriano blocking Spencer from 4 titles as a Cyclone?
(c) Suriano blocking Spencer from 4 titles as a Cyclone, resulting in PSU winning the team title over Iowa.

Lots of repeat jokes today. I laughed at them originally, but it's just hard to keep that going. 4 days left. Go out with a bang not a fizzle! You can do it
A bang? who you talking to murin? We all know what bang means in Iowa speak lmfao

Figured to pass this along but per Mineo, if Suriano isn't coming to PSU, Drew Hildebrandt is the next call

Reactions: Jplions4
Someone on TOS (the other site) referenced Suriano not coming. I guess we're desperate or something.

ADVERTISEMENT