N Lee
Bartlett
J Lee
Facundo
Starocci
Brooks
Dean
Kerkvliet

Hmm, nice idea but not real current, perhaps.

Robert Howard the starter at 125 and Austin Boone a possibility at 157? Howard's injury occurred over 6 months ago and Boone's transfer was announced in early July. C'mon, Daily Collegain..

And Kerk expects to be the PSU starter at 285 "for many years to come"? Guess we'll see, but color me skeptical of that statement.

Last edited:
Kirk has 4 years of eligibility left? Why not be the man for 4 more years?

Just curious if anyone knows if Bartlett's "natural weight" has increased since last season as he was seen
as small last year for 149 and was seen as a 141 pounder, I believe, but having a national champion ahead of
you is a bit of an obstacle and thus he is at 149nds hopefully a little bigger and stronger than last year. Does Howard's injury situation look like it could be resolved with a year off and any info on Steen as I do not know much about him. Thank you. Hopefully they have a great season but an unusual one as some of the Iowa wrestler's are 5th, 6th, or 7th year (even) in college-by this time they should at least be working on a master's degree if not their Ph.D!

Reactions: Lionfan44
Just curious if anyone knows if Bartlett's "natural weight" has increased since last season as he was seen
as small last year for 149 and was seen as a 141 pounder, I believe, but having a national champion ahead of
you is a bit of an obstacle and thus he is at 149nds hopefully a little bigger and stronger than last year. Does Howard's injury situation look like it could be resolved with a year off and any info on Steen as I do not know much about him. Thank you. Hopefully they have a great season but an unusual one as some of the Iowa wrestler's are 5th, 6th, or 7th year (even) in college-by this time they should at least be working on a master's degree if not their Ph.D!
Not sure about Bartlett but I personally think Van Ness is getting the call at 149. I think Steen is a 2 time state champ. Very scrappy kid. I could see him having a career much like Jordan Conaway. Will certainly be a challenge to get into the lineup depending on where and when Howard goes. As for the rest, to me it looks like PSU is right on schedule to win the National championship this season. :)

Reactions: nitlion6
I think it is interesting that so many think it is a foregone conclusion that Dean beats out Beard. Unless the plan is to let Beard get stronger and become a bigger 197. I just think they are pretty comparable.
I think Beard has more potential - it’s a matter putting it together. In flurries he can take down anybody, even the Ford.

It's been discussed before but Michael's issue isn't his offense, it's his gas tank and his leg defense. When his tank runs empty, it's ugly. He nearly got majored by Cam Caffey, who is a R12 level guy.

He had a very good draw last year and tbh, I had hopes he would make the finals after Thursday night.

Reactions: danoftw
Not sure about Bartlett but I personally think Van Ness is getting the call at 149. I think Steen is a 2 time state champ. Very scrappy kid. I could see him having a career much like Jordan Conaway. Will certainly be a challenge to get into the lineup depending on where and when Howard goes. As for the rest, to me it looks like PSU is right on schedule to win the National championship this season. :)

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
I think it is interesting that so many think it is a foregone conclusion that Dean beats out Beard. Unless the plan is to let Beard get stronger and become a bigger 197. I just think they are pretty comparable.

I'd guess that problem has a two-part cause:
1. Aversion by most creators, in most outlets, to project a lineup with two guys at one weight, like with a slash or a vs.
2. Dean's 8th + 2nd finishes, vs Beard's 7th

It also has a very easy solution: write out a projected lineup like this, which is mine:

125 Steen
133 National Champ
141 National Champ
149 Bartlett vs SVN
157 Joe Lee
165 Facundo
174 National Champ
184 National Champ
197 Beard vs Dean
285 Kerk

Question for the board: if I wanted to send a link to TDC author Ben Serfass, a Jake Aferiat understudy iirc, that most concisely & accurately sources Howard's injury+surgery+projected redshirt + prevailing wisdom that Steen will man 125 this year, which link would you all use? tia

Question for the board: if I wanted to send a link to TDC author Ben Serfass, a Jake Aferiat understudy iirc, that most concisely & accurately sources Howard's injury+surgery+projected redshirt + prevailing wisdom that Steen will man 125 this year, which link would you all use? tia

Willie said it on a podcast in May.

Also:

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Cryptic Roar at his best! I guess we will have to sit back and wait a bit.

Lots to unpack here in that Brother Roar post; shall we try?First, what do we think constitutes a Roar Surprise?

1. Out the gate, I'm gonna rule out the Joe Lee drop to 157 + Facundo at 165 b/c that's been on the board radar for a few months. Leaving in: any changes from that at either of those weights (such as: Joe Lee stays 165 + anybody really at 157--SVN, BearClaw, MATT LEE)

2. Also ruling out: Robbie Howard redshirt + Shoulder Surgery Recovery + Gary Steen starting 125.
STILL COUNTS AS A SURPRISE: Robbie Howard GOING this year!

3. Does Michael Beard starting at 197 count as a Roar Surprise? If it's only b/c he 'beat out' or 'won the spot' over Max Dean, EYE am going to count that as Not a Surprise.
IF, however, it's b/c Aaron Brooks is taking a redshirt AND Max Dean is going 184 and there was never any Beard v Dean battle, THAT I'm counting as a surprise.

4. Would a Mason Manville appearance count as a Roar Surprise? Mos Def YES, imo, no 'h' required b/c there's no humility in this declaration, which you all will obviously agree with me about.

5. What about BOTH Bartlett AND SVN in the lineup at the same time (WITH Nick Lee at 141 of course)? Bonus exercise complexity: Is this question redundant with #1?

Alright, I'll stop there. Who wants to play? (tia Roar: I miss your provacaroars ;)

Lots to unpack here in that Brother Roar post; shall we try?First, what do we think constitutes a Roar Surprise?

1. Out the gate, I'm gonna rule out the Joe Lee drop to 157 + Facundo at 165 b/c that's been on the board radar for a few months. Leaving in: any changes from that at either of those weights (such as: Joe Lee stays 165 + anybody really at 157--SVN, BearClaw, MATT LEE)

2. Also ruling out: Robbie Howard redshirt + Shoulder Surgery Recovery + Gary Steen starting 125.

3. Does Michael Beard starting at 197 count as a Roar Surprise? If it's only b/c he 'beat out' or 'won the spot' over Max Dean, EYE am going to count that as Not a Surprise.
IF, however, it's b/c Aaron Brooks is taking a redshirt AND Max Dean is going 184 and there was never any Beard v Dean battle, THAT I'm counting as a surprise.

4. Would a Mason Manville appearance count as a Roar Surprise? Mos Def YES, imo, no 'h' required b/c there's no humility in this declaration, which you all will obviously agree with me about.

5. What about BOTH Bartlett AND SVN in the lineup at the same time (WITH Nick Lee at 141 of course)? Bonus exercise complexity: Is this question redundant with #1?

Alright, I'll stop there. Who wants to play? (tia Roar: I miss your provacaroars ;)
Does Cassar still have his 7th year?

My guess is 149. Seems as if those close to the program all love Barraclough and nobody has mentioned him for a while as a potential starter.

Actually it really wouldn't surprise me if we had starters at 125, 149 and 165 that nobody is penciling in at least through January/Feb. Even for duals that may seem critical to some on here.

Just going by past history - I don't think the 3 Cs get quite as antsy to pull a RS as let's say, a Googles Paisano. Its much easier to make the right decision on what your best NCAA team is a month out than it is 4 months out.

Joe Lee will be dynamite at 157. He was a small 165er last year. No Howard at 125... no Steen, either. I see Shunk from Penns Valley filling in until.. VN at 149. Bartlett RS. Can’t wait to see Facundo. 174-285 in murders row.
Here’s hoping since imo 49,57,65 will determine how well we do this year.
Accepting that Steen will have problems as a true fr. starter.

Ok, lets say Joe Lee was a small 165, he had no gas tank at 165 where I would assume his cut was easy. How in the world can he go 157 with what I assume would be a hard cut?? I love Joe Lee and the way he wrestles but I can't see him going 57

Suriano will be the 125lber second semester.

giphy.gif

My guess is 149. Seems as if those close to the program all love Barraclough and nobody has mentioned him for a while as a potential starter.

Actually it really wouldn't surprise me if we had starters at 125, 149 and 165 that nobody is penciling in at least through January/Feb. Even for duals that may seem critical to some on here.

Just going by past history - I don't think the 3 Cs get quite as antsy to pull a RS as let's say, a Googles Paisano. Its much easier to make the right decision on what your best NCAA team is a month out than it is 4 months out.

Dice, this is a quality point, as usual from you.

Given our collective understanding of how our triple c staff historically has done things, should we get in the practice of, as a fanbase community, viewing the lineup in two different semesters?

Typically I've looked at such possibilities through the lens of NCAA Eligibility. But that is all skewed now, not just by Covid and the extra year, but by the increasing trend of wrestlers looking at the collegiate season as something they have to suffer en route to the International events.

Anyway, the published schedule is our only context to try to unpack such things, and the 4 Duals brought into Semester 1 (vs Southern Scuffle in years past) makes it tougher to guess who might be 'held out til' Semester 2. Reminder that we have 18 Duals scheduled this year, and a full 9 of them are in Semester 1!!!:

Semester 1:
DayDateTimeOpponentWatch/ListenNCAA Event CountsDual CountsBig Ten CountsHome CountsNot Wrestling B1G
Friday????AllStar Classic?0000Purdue
Saturday11/13/202110aOregon State @York, PA??1100Minnesota
Saturday11/13/202110aSacred Heart @York, PA??1100Northwestern
Thursday11/18/20218pArmyLionVision1101Illinois
Friday12/3/217p@PennPLN1100Wisconsin
Sunday12/5/212pLehighLionVision1101
Tuesday12/21/202110a@Collegiate DualsRokfin1400
Wednesday12/22/202110a@Collegiate DualsRokfin0000
Collegiate Duals possible (key) opponents:
Arizona State
NC State
Va Tech
Cornell
Iowa
Missouri

Now having read all that, does that change the context with which we read Dice's words: "Actually it really wouldn't surprise me if we had starters at 125, 149 and 165 that nobody is penciling in at least through January/Feb. Even for duals that may seem critical to some on here?"

Reactions: dicemen99

AB moving up to 97 would be a bit of a surprise IMO.

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT