ADVERTISEMENT

Curious what others think regarding new OT Rules

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Personally, I like the longer SV Period, but think the Criteria for determining a winner if tied after TB Periods is absurd (and a typical example of why most wrestling purists find Folk-Style Rules ridiculous and antithetical to the fundamental rules of the sport - i.e., awarding matches as if "Riding Time" is the most important element of wrestling when it is not even a "scoring element" of the seminal sport that Folk-Style was adapted from.).

The OT Rules would be better if they adopted a mandatory "Shot Clock" be assessed after 30 seconds of SV if the match is scoreless (or, if a shot is in progress at 30 second mark and gets stalemated, the "Shot Clock" will be assessed immediately following the Stalemate). The Shot Clock will be assessed against the wrestler who carries less of the Offensive Action with the primary determinant being # of legitimate Shots/Offensive scoring moves initiated. This would improve the amount of Offensive action on both the front-end and back-end of SV as both wrestlers will be more offensive to avoid being put on shot clock and wrestler put on shot clock will need TD to win.

Even if you did no mandatory "Shot Clock" in SV (i.e., as it is now), the OT Rules would be greatly improved by going to a different "Criteria" if tied after TB Period - specifically, 1) Highest Scoring Move, 2) if same Highest Scoring Move, # of Highest Scoring Move, 3) if still tied, 2nd highest scoring move, 4) if still tied, # of 2nd Highest Scoring Move, 5) etc... on Scoring Moves, 6) First TD Scored (this incents Offensive Action early if you know it can determine match).

Thoughts? The current OT Rules awarding a match on 1 second RT ADV after TBs incents scoreless SV Periods and "meaningless riding" (i.e., riding that is not aimed at turning or scoring on your opponent.... "riding for the sake of riding" and nothing else which is antithetical to the seminal rules of the sport.) by zero-offense wrestlers who primary skills are Defense/Counter-only style in Neutral and non-scoring riding.

Without having seen it manifest itself in an important situation, my feeling is that determining a victor based on riding time is akin to the NFL awarding a win to the team with the most time of possession. However, my opinion is subject to change based on how it benefits my favorite team.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
I'd like see a single SV period where both guys keep going non-stop until someone scores. Conditioning would definitely be a factor. If someone tires out and starts stalling, the ref calls it and the bout is over. In the NCAA tournament, there would be a lot of incentive to NOT go to OT, especially in the first two sessions because of the energy drain.

Riding time advantage victories would seem to contradict action and drawing viewers to the sport.

Put them on their feet, turn off the clock, give a point for pushouts and go until someone scores.

They used to just award ties (draws) in college and high school wrestling (at least in some states). As the old saying goes, "A tie is like kissing your sister".

You mean they shouldn't let guys wrestle for 30-some minutes like Suriano vs. Fix a few years back? Blasphemy! Re-instate the rules of Roman gladiator battles. Apparently, the gladiators had to swear a vow (Sacramentum Gladiatorium) before fighting: "I will endure to be burned, to be bound, to be beaten, and to be killed by the sword."

Hmm. Might this increase the popularity of the sport?

You mean they shouldn't let guys wrestle for 30-some minutes like Suriano vs. Fix a few years back? Blasphemy! Re-instate the rules of Roman gladiator battles. Apparently, the gladiators had to swear a vow (Sacramentum Gladiatorium) before fighting: "I will endure to be burned, to be bound, to be beaten, and to be killed by the sword."

Hmm. Might this increase the popularity of the sport?

That’s why we need a point for a pushout

I'm OK with the 2 minute SV period but since folkstyle does smphasize mat wrestling, I would rather see the 2 TB periods with only actual points scored counting. Still tied, then 1 minute SV, and so forth. Throw out the riding time altogether.

If tied after regulation, introduce mma rules for OT.

I don't have a problem with the OT rules. I wouldn't have a problem if they adopted the last score wins a tie rule. As long as the scoring situation is set in stone and everybody knows the rule going in then the result is objective and all is good. The only break a tie rule that I thought was poorly designed was the entire subjective "referee's decision".

Reactions: papa_ed
Better than before, but didn't go far enough imo. Settle it on your feet. A couple of seconds of riding time should not determine a winner. As nitlion mentions though, we have come a long way since the referee's decision but heck that was several decades ago.

Reactions: papa_ed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT