ADVERTISEMENT

Crookham update.

From a reliable source.
Sounds like Ryan has narrowed choice to Lehigh and Penn State. If Cael doesn't offer a full scholarship I think he will stay local.

Thanks Callthestall, any idea if he’s leaning either way?

Wonder if he’s a good student as academic scholarships can bridge the gap as well.
That's not happening. Cael has said before that only 1 wrestler has received an academic scholarship. Devon Van Cura was a multiple Big Ten Distinguished Scholar, IIRC graduated with a 4.0 in Chemistry, and went to Harvard for grad school.

Also, PSU has virtually no freshman-eligible academic scholarships, and those are very precisely targeted. Being a "good student" or even an "exceptional student" isn't enough.

PSU can offer tons of winning and the best training environment, plus some money. Lehigh can offer him a "needs-based" scholarship because they need him. He'll have to choose.

That's not happening. Cael has said before that only 1 wrestler has received an academic scholarship. Devon Van Cura was a multiple Big Ten Distinguished Scholar, IIRC graduated with a 4.0 in Chemistry, and went to Harvard for grad school.

Also, PSU has virtually no freshman-eligible academic scholarships, and those are very precisely targeted. Being a "good student" or even an "exceptional student" isn't enough.

PSU can offer tons of winning and the best training environment, plus some money. Lehigh can offer him a "needs-based" scholarship because they need him. He'll have to choose.
As already discussed in relation to Van Ness, he could apply to Schreyer’s honors college. That’s $5k/year. Used to be 50%.

As already discussed in relation to Van Ness, he could apply to Schreyer’s honors college. That’s $5k/year. Used to be 50%.
That's true -- all freshman Schreyer students get $5k/year in academic aid (renewable for 4 years).

But how many PSU athletes enter Schreyer as freshmen? Not to discount the possibility, but we've had many Dean's List wrestlers, yet Van Cura is still the only wrestler to have received an academic scholarship.

From PSU: Each year, 300 first-year students are admitted into the Honors College.
https://admissions.psu.edu/academics/schreyer/

I don't know where he ends up, but I'll root for him at Lehigh if that's where he goes. That'd be their biggest catch in a while.

Reactions: matter7172
PAHURDLER!! Impressive, not to be intrude but please continue with your residency, etc. Me:Undergraduate at F&M( yes they grapple there), Graduate School at PSU in Nutrition (research a John Fritz nutrition habits), then Pitt Dental School(graduation at OKU honors). I am coached here in State College in CrossFit by PSU accelerated Med Student. My point this is great education opportunity.

PAHURDLER!! Impressive, not to be intrude but please continue with your residency, etc. Me:Undergraduate at F&M( yes they grapple there), Graduate School at PSU in Nutrition (research a John Fritz nutrition habits), then Pitt Dental School(graduation at OKU honors). I am coached here in State College in CrossFit by PSU accelerated Med Student. My point this is great education opportunity.

Nice!

I went on to Dermatology residency after medical school.

I had originally gone to medical school thinking I’d be the next Scott Lynch and fix bones, but I found I preferred a more outpatient-heavy practice with briefer procedures. Got some great experiences (research and surgical) with the Maryland Shock Trauma Ortho guys at least.

Now I’m approaching 38 and still feel close to my physical peak. Powerlifting/bodybuilding and mixing in some cross training as the realization sets in that strength training will have diminishing returns as time passes.

Nice!

I went on to Dermatology residency after medical school.

I had originally gone to medical school thinking I’d be the next Scott Lynch and fix bones, but I found I preferred a more outpatient-heavy practice with briefer procedures. Got some great experiences (research and surgical) with the Maryland Shock Trauma Ortho guys at least.

Now I’m approaching 38 and still feel close to my physical peak. Powerlifting/bodybuilding and mixing in some cross training as the realization sets in that strength training will have diminishing returns as time passes.
I am 53, have been lifting since I was 15, you will most likely reach a point where you realize you are strong enough for whatever life has to throw at you and no longer chase big numbers. I am at the point where benching and squatting my bodyweight for 15 reps is good enough, still makes me stronger than most of the kids on the local high school football team (no wonder they stink).

Well said. :cool:

I am 53, have been lifting since I was 15, you will most likely reach a point where you realize you are strong enough for whatever life has to throw at you and no longer chase big numbers. I am at the point where benching and squatting my bodyweight for 15 reps is good enough, still makes me stronger than most of the kids on the local high school football team (no wonder they stink).

You guys are still whippersnappers! I just turned 70 and was still going live with the HS seniors until I was 62. :cool:

All bragging aside, however, I think that as you start getting into your more senior years, cardio and endurance are more important than just raw strength. I've seen some guys who are probably total powerhouses when it comes to doing heavy lifts but I'll bet they would gas quickly doing something that requires several minutes of serious endurance like wrestling.

Worked ok for me. Graduated with a 3.96 from PSU and graduated magna cum laude from medical school.[/QUOTE

I just want clarify that I was not comparing Lehigh and Penn State academically in Ryan's final choice. I was referencing that some schools that recruited him did not offer the same academic opportunity than his final 2 choices offered.
I do think Lehigh will roll out the red carpet for him. Santoro will be able to offer the idea that he would be the face of Lehigh program. If he goes to Penn State he would be one of many faces.
We will see.

Somehow I did not post the below statement correctly on above post.
Let's try again.

I just want clarify that I was not comparing Lehigh and Penn State academically in Ryan's final choice. I was referencing that some schools that recruited him did not offer the same academic opportunity than his final 2 choices offered.
I do think Lehigh will roll out the red carpet for him. Santoro will be able to offer the idea that he would be the face of Lehigh program. If he goes to Penn State he would be one of many faces.
We will see.

Reactions: Ja1339

I scored my only touchdown of my college career against F&M and received my first recruiting letter from F&M, so the school will always have a fond place in my heart. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: BrucePa
Somehow I did not post the below statement correctly on above post.
Let's try again.

We will see.

Come to Penn State to win individual and team championships, that’s what we do! :)

Kidding aside, imagine the 2022 lineup that could include Howard, Bartlett, Crookham, Joe Lee, Cstar, Brooks, Beard, and Kervliet. Then throw in Figs/Cruz or Van Ness and we’d have Vodka crying uncle or crying to the compliance office.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
F&M grad here. I rooted for the wrestling team from the Mayser Gym stands. Saw Chris Taylor and Iowa State beat F&M something like 49-0 in 1973.

F&M grad here. I rooted for the wrestling team from the Mayser Gym stands. Saw Chris Taylor and Iowa State beat F&M something like 49-0 in 1973.

BrucePa - did you know Chris Black? We grew up together and stayed close friends until he passed on in 2014. I still hear from some of the other guys at F&M from time to time.

Reactions: BrucePa
BrucePa - did you know Chris Black? We grew up together and stayed close friends until he passed on in 2014. I still hear from some of the other guys at F&M from time to time.
I didn't know him well, but I saw him wrestle. I knew some of the football players well, like Tom Donaldson and Wes Lively. I grew up in Lancaster.

FYI - I deleted a post that might have been funny in different circumstances, but I flat out forgot about what is going on in Seattle and some other cities. If anyone read it before I deleted it, my apologies. Boneheadedness is one of my many virtues.

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
I am retracting this post - it was incorrect. My source was obviously wrong and I was just as wrong for taking it at face value and posting.

Although I am not retracting the part that stated that Ryan is more than solid off-the-mat as well which bodes well for his future success.

Last edited:
I tried googling but couldn’t find the answer, so pardon my asking a dumb question, but is Ryan a PA or NJ resident? Asking in regards to in versus out of state tuition at PSU.

I tried googling but couldn’t find the answer, so pardon my asking a dumb question, but is Ryan a PA or NJ resident? Asking in regards to in versus out of state tuition at PSU.
PA. He attended junior high in the Saucon Valley school district just south of Bethlehem.

Reactions: Ja1339
Location, $$'s, and academics are still #1, #2 and #3 when making these decisions, for most kids and their family anyway. There are a few that will place wrestling for Cael and being in the National Championship mix each year above all else. These are difficult decisions.

He is quickly narrowing down the list. The $$$ is a huge factor not because they need it but because he has earned it!

Reactions: hlstone
So DT didn't get a full ride? Hall or Kerk? I find that hard to believe. Ruth?
Scholarships are not a fixed amount for the full duration. It's well known that Cael offers what he offers, with the opportunity to improve it in future years with progression.

Also, you'll never get a straight answer on that question. Some guys will say they got a full ride because it sounds good, when in reality they got a mix of scholarship, grants, and loans.

Well, other than the ROTC guys like Matt Brown and Mason Manville. They got free rides, of the kind that doesn't count against the 9.9 limit.

Reactions: danoftw
By all accounts I’m privy to, I think DT would have followed Cael to Dagestan for book money.

100% agree, DT has stated on the record multiple times Cael was the only coach he wanted to wrestle for. Cael could have gone to start up Slippery Rock in 2009 and that's where DT would have gone.

Reactions: Cbl50 and nitlion6
100% agree, DT has stated on the record multiple times Cael was the only coach he wanted to wrestle for. Cael could have gone to start up Slippery Rock in 2009 and that's where DT would have gone.

The Rock will rise again!!!!

Wait a minute my Physics 101 class in Vincent Science Hall in 1977 is telling me my above statement can't be correct. Screw it.

It would have loved Cael and David there, 50 minute drive instead of over 2 hr 45 minutes to SC.

Plus that Creamery is killing me, one cone at a time.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT