ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton Edsell (undefeated for past two seasons)

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Yes, it's true. The Edsell is riding (driving) a two season long undefeated streak.

Ok, yes, it is 3-0 so far this season and 4-0 last season, but he is perhaps building slow momentum, like the Edsel cars of yesteryear.

What is notable about his 3-year record is that he has only been bonus-ed one time in 24 matches, that occurring when Mark Hall pinned him at the Wilkes Open (a tournament in which Edsell beat Edmund Ruth). He usually keeps matches pretty close.

Yes, it's true. The Edsell is riding (driving) a two season long undefeated streak.

Ok, yes, it is 3-0 so far this season and 4-0 last season, but he is perhaps building slow momentum, like the Edsel cars of yesteryear.

What is notable about his 3-year record is that he has only been bonus-ed one time in 24 matches, that occurring when Mark Hall pinned him at the Wilkes Open (a tournament in which Edsell beat Edmund Ruth). He usually keeps matches pretty close.

Wasn't the Ford Edsel a failure?

I'm glad you posted this because I've been thinking... lets put all the "pull the redshirt" talk on hold while Edsell is playing DJ Khalid out there.

Reactions: PASLP2
Wasn't the Ford Edsel a failure?
Ultimately, yes. In some ways, though, it was ahead of its time. The appended Youtube video makes both points more clear. The Edsel(l) apparently got off to a good start, however. Time will tell how far it (he) travels into the future (season).

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Next opponent for "The Edsell" will be Lucas Revano at U Penn on Dec. 3rd. His record this year is below:

2022 Season​

VideoOpponentSchoolDateEventWeightW/LByHow
#272 Hussein, Aladeen (1 - 4) (Compare)#77 Sacred Heart11/21Keystone Classic165WTF516 - 1 2:58
#79 Wilson, Michael (8 - 5) (Compare)#50 Rider11/21Keystone Classic165WDEC10 - 3
#89 Kistler, Michael (7 - 2) (Compare)#34 Pennsylvania11/21Keystone Classic165WDEC10 - 6
#13 Conigliaro, Phillip (4 - 0) (Compare)#48 Harvard11/21Keystone Classic165LDEC6 - 2
#42 Barczak, Evan (8 - 2) (Compare)#51 Drexel11/21Keystone Classic165WDEC4 - 2
#93 Herceg, Connor (4 - 4) (Compare)#25 Lehigh11/14Journeyman Classic165WDEC6 - 2
#31 Meyer, Brian (5 - 1) (Compare)#25 Lehigh11/14Journeyman Classic165LTB-22 - 1
#64 Stamm, Ricky (3 - 3) (C

Ultimately, yes. In some ways, though, it was ahead of its time. The appended Youtube video makes both points more clear. The Edsel(l) apparently got off to a good start, however. Time will tell how far it (he) travels into the future (season).
I was actually just playn with ya. I understood what you were getting at.

Last edited:
Next opponent for "The Edsell" will be Lucas Revano at U Penn on Dec. 3rd. His record this year is below:

2022 Season​

VideoOpponentSchoolDateEventWeightW/LByHow
#272 Hussein, Aladeen (1 - 4) (Compare)#77 Sacred Heart11/21Keystone Classic165WTF516 - 1 2:58
#79 Wilson, Michael (8 - 5) (Compare)#50 Rider11/21Keystone Classic165WDEC10 - 3
#89 Kistler, Michael (7 - 2) (Compare)#34 Pennsylvania11/21Keystone Classic165WDEC10 - 6
#13 Conigliaro, Phillip (4 - 0) (Compare)#48 Harvard11/21Keystone Classic165LDEC6 - 2
#42 Barczak, Evan (8 - 2) (Compare)#51 Drexel11/21Keystone Classic165WDEC4 - 2
#93 Herceg, Connor (4 - 4) (Compare)#25 Lehigh11/14Journeyman Classic165WDEC6 - 2
#31 Meyer, Brian (5 - 1) (Compare)#25 Lehigh11/14Journeyman Classic165LTB-22 - 1
#64 Stamm, Ricky (3 - 3) (C
Credits would be nice even though we likely know …

Reactions: slushhead
Years of getting the snot beat out of you by Strocca, Nolf, Cenzo, Hall, Taylor, probably Bo has paid off. If he wins next match should be considered for a weekly award!

Why not Creighton Edsell? Looks like he continues to pay his dues in the wrestling room. Looks like a feel good story? Kind of a James English story. Let's give him a chance.
Are we punting? Cuz if we arent, then we need the best man on the mat, even if its a TF. Have you got the impression someone ISNT giving CE the chance he and everyone deserves?

Are we punting? Cuz if we arent, then we need the best man on the mat, even if its a TF. Have you got the impression someone ISNT giving CE the chance he and everyone deserves?
Seriously. It's rehashing the good ol' days of aspiring to beat Lehigh -- Iowa wins and we feel good about ourselves for cheering on an underdog.

Best man goes, period.

Reminder: Geno Morelli was a returning NQ with a 10-1 record in 2017, including wins over one AA and a few other NQs, when Mark Hall's shirt got pulled.

Edsell is a nice story but not at Morelli's level yet. No career wins over starters with a winning record. Maybe that will change -- Revano and Meyer back-to-back would be a good start -- but even that might not be enough. In the meantime, he's earned the right to continue making his case while the coaches evaluate Facundo.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Reminder: Geno Morelli was a returning NQ with a 10-1 record in 2017, including wins over one AA and a few other NQs, when Mark Hall's shirt got pulled.
Thankfully they took Mark with them to Iowa, even though it didnt exactly go as planned…

Reactions: WildTurk
Says the guy who actually drove one lol

Says the guy who actually drove one lol
Ha. I grew up riding motorcycles. I'm the furthest thing from a car guy. I'm much more into walking, biking, and distance running. Two legs good; four wheels bad, to modify a provocative line from Orwell's Animal Farm.

Our chairs are killing us. We sit too much: while driving (!), using computers or cell phones, and watching TV. This can lead to heart and vascular problems along with weight gain. It can also contribute to increased energy consumption and, in turn, magnify the current climate emergency.

It's a great week to get out and move our bodies ... if one (still) can.

Anyone want to put your chair or couch on trial for high crimes and misdemeanors . . . or maybe even treason?

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I was actually just playn with ya. I understood what you were getting at.
Even better — just provide a link to the free, original content. Copying and pasting the content here is kind of a thumb to the eye of a free service struggling to get sufficient ad revenue to remain a free service.
OK, purists. Fair enough. Point taken. I provided a link to WrestleStat in the original (first) post. Most everyone who has been around for a minute in the wrestling world (or at least on this forum) knows that the data is from WrestleStat. Just look at the format and rankings (which are usually way off).

For readers who scroll through threads quickly, sometimes it's actually valuable (preferable) to have it right there for the immediate eye rather than require them to click on a link and go elsewhere (which they might not do), especially when the information is abbreviated.

Finally, if you click on any of the data in blue, you are taken immediately to the WrestleStat site, where they will inaudibly applaud your noble efforts to support their website.

Reactions: Kuch96
The Edsell story is a great story. He may never go to the Big Ten's or NCAA's, but having quality guys to fill in is something every team aspires to. And to be honest, right now he's the guy at 165 though we all know the coaches have a decision coming up.

Reminds me of Ashley Swift and others. Swift was a 167 pounder in my day as a Penn State student (mid 70's), and he moved up to Unlimited (285 now) to fill in at 3 duals. And he actually won one of them!! A wrestler couldn't do that today, as the rules don't allow it. Maybe not the same as Edsell wrestling his natural weight, but inspiring nonetheless.

Maybe you can post others here that were backups and willingly jumped in for extended periods to help the team, whether at their natural weight or not.

The Edsell story is a great story. He may never go to the Big Ten's or NCAA's, but having quality guys to fill in is something every team aspires to. And to be honest, right now he's the guy at 165 though we all know the coaches have a decision coming up.

Reminds me of Ashley Swift and others. Swift was a 167 pounder in my day as a Penn State student (mid 70's), and he moved up to Unlimited (285 now) to fill in at 3 duals. And he actually won one of them!! A wrestler couldn't do that today, as the rules don't allow it. Maybe not the same as Edsell wrestling his natural weight, but inspiring nonetheless.

Maybe you can post others here that were backups and willingly jumped in for extended periods to help the team, whether at their natural weight or not.
Matt Brown and Mason Manville are two recent example who come to mind. I think Brown wrestled at 197 a few times and Manville as high as 184. Others might confirm or contradict that, however.

Was it Kirby Wood who bumped up and staved off Cleveland State’s UNL in the early-mid 80’s to seal the dual? He may have been as small as a 167 in the same year.

Edit: found link Old Collegian

Matt Brown and Mason Manville are two recent example who come to mind. I think Brown wrestled at 197 a few times and Manville as high as 184. Others might confirm or contradict that, however.
Brown wrestled 3 bouts at 197 (he was a 174 pounder), while Manville wrestled 4 at 184 (he was a 165 pounder).

Brown wrestled 3 bouts at 197 (he was a 174 pounder), while Manville wrestled 4 at 184 (he was a 165 pounder).

Mason is one kid who's career is just one big question mark.

He was a blue chipper who got stuck behind some great talent, started focusing pretty much entirely on Greco, and now we have no idea where he is.

Most of his dual matches were fillins, up one or two weights on a day ir two notice (a few against real hammers) so we can't even use those as a guage.

I would love to see him in some duals or opens at 157 or more likely 165 if for no other reason than to see him wrestle in front of a crowd at the proper weight.

Well as long as everybody doesn't panic December should prove both interesting as well as varied at those two weights until they sort out.

I am far from a Joe enthusiast but I get the sense that he isn't 100% acclimated down at 157, and if he doesn't get there by mid-December, he goes back up.

Mason is one kid who's career is just one big question mark.

He was a blue chipper who got stuck behind some great talent, started focusing pretty much entirely on Greco, and now we have no idea where he is.

Most of his dual matches were fillins, up one or two weights on a day ir two notice (a few against real hammers) so we can't even use those as a guage.

I would love to see him in some duals or opens at 157 or more likely 165 if for no other reason than to see him wrestle in front of a crowd at the proper weight.

Well as long as everybody doesn't panic December should prove both interesting as well as varied at those two weights until they sort out.

I am far from a Joe enthusiast but I get the sense that he isn't 100% acclimated down at 157, and if he doesn't get there by mid-December, he goes back up.
this is kind of true, but his shine really started to fade towards the back half of high school. several guys caught and passed him. i never anticipated him doing much at the college level and he always seemed like a luxury depth piece in your lineup projections.

ADVERTISEMENT