ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy things you’ve done when you were maybe too old to do them?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I just started Brazilian jiu-jitsu training at 50 years old! My main motivation is to get into shape, but it’s also something that I had considered trying when I was a lot younger. Well, I not getting any younger and the class schedule and location is a good fit for me.

Anyone else take up a hobby or do anything where they might have been considered too old?

I just started Brazilian jiu-jitsu training at 50 years old! My main motivation is to get into shape, but it’s also something that I had considered trying when I was a lot younger. Well, I not getting any younger and the class schedule and location is a good fit for me.

Anyone else take up a hobby or do anything where they might have been considered too old?

Two chicks at the same time

rode at 175mph on an empty stretch of I-91 in upstate Vermont a couple of years ago, not for long though - the road starts to look a little narrow at that speed

I've determined that age is not often a factor in whether you can do something, but it is a factor in how well you do it, especially where there are physical demands. If you take up tennis, or marathon running, or rock climbing, later in life, you are not going to do that as well as you would have 25 years earlier. That aside, if you give your best effort, you may still do it better than some others who are 25 years younger. My wife took up skating at after age 50 and became good enough that she could teach others who were much younger. The bottom line is, if you enjoy it and how it makes you feel, do it.

I saw Brazilian and thought something else.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think you’re doing jiu jitsu wrong.
Last check up Doctor asked if I exercised regularly, I said "absolutely not", Doctor said you are my only honest patient, but you should exercise, at least walk. And so I went to our local health club, tried tread mill and bike for a week. At 75, after one week my back hurts, my knees hurt and I ache all over. I'm definitely too old for this.
:confused:

Two chicks at the same time
2-033.gif

Not exactly the same but age related as well I have enjoyed free dive spearfishing since my teenage years.
A few years ago after sandy had hit nj a buddy of mine and I made a beach dive off Deal.Coming back into the beach can be a real pain with all the gear associated with the sport etc.The surf had come up and the rollers were crashing and we got pounded before escaping to the beach.A young game warden walked down and asked to measure our catch.From many equalization and water in your ears it takes a while to get your hearing back to normal.After I slid my hood back he looked surprised and said something like "I can't believe that a guy your age is still doing this".It made me feel good and bad at the same time.
Age is limiting but If you enjoy something go for it.Even in a limited capacity it's worth it.Arthritis makes the wrong appendages stiff.

Three chicks at the same time

My son is just getting into ice hockey and I wish I could help him skate better. I’ve never been more than a recreational skater, and never got good enough to even consider playing the sport. That said, I’d love to learn enough to eventually play in a rec league. I built a yard rink for him to practice this winter, and we both improved quite a bit being able to skate almost every night. I’m about to turn 46, and hope to play in a league next winter.

Hours of Bumpercars / AutoSkooter at Knoebels with my kids and their friends the past few summers reminds me that my chiseled 6’3” 240# frame has some miles on it /is brittle...

likewise (today) a 50yr old guy skiing like a 25yr old tends to remind oneself of the perils of time

This more in the "stupid category". Still hunting at age 59. I always think I can walk a long ways..... well, I have still yet to realize that once you walk-in a long ways from the starting point.... you still have to walk all the way back. I've called myself a dumbass on numerous occasions.

rode at 175mph on an empty stretch of I-91 in upstate Vermont a couple of years ago, not for long though - the road starts to look a little narrow at that speed
OK, I need to know more about this. You were the driver? Passenger? Rode a motorcycle? What were you driving?

This more in the "stupid category". Still hunting at age 59. I always think I can walk a long ways..... well, I have still yet to realize that once you walk-in a long ways from the starting point.... you still have to walk all the way back. I've called myself a dumbass on numerous occasions.
I hunt at my father in laws place and he still hunts at 77 and his buddy still hind of hunts at 94. Both of them have lost a step or two, and they don’t make it out of the camp as early as the rest of us, but neither of them would skip a hunting season voluntarily.

My son is just getting into ice hockey and I wish I could help him skate better. I’ve never been more than a recreational skater, and never got good enough to even consider playing the sport. That said, I’d love to learn enough to eventually play in a rec league. I built a yard rink for him to practice this winter, and we both improved quite a bit being able to skate almost every night. I’m about to turn 46, and hope to play in a league next winter.

Volunteer to help coach. Free ice time for you.

In addition to my Gigolo service, this old curmudgeon also offers Professional engineering service. In1990, I severely injured my back and legs (fell 20') while performing construction surveying for Lane Construction on the Blue Route in Plymouth Meeting.

After a couple of back operations in 90 & 91 and several years (4) of rehab the nerves in my legs were regenerated to about 85%.

My employer expressed to me that I will never be working on construction surveying again, the insurance company refused to cover me. My employer explained that I could help the company greatly if I got my Professional Engineering License (I already passed the first portion of the exams in 1974- EIT).

So, twenty years ago in 1997, at the age of 49, I took and passed my P.E., an it was the best thing that happened to me in my years of employment. Many of my professional sponsors offered me good luck, because they themselves doubted they would pass the exams at my age.

Funny, The Lord can work in mysterious ways. :cool:

Last edited:
In addition to my Gigolo service, this old curmudgeon also offers Professional engineering service. In1990, I severely injured my back and legs (fell 20') while performing construction surveying for Lane Construction on the Blue Route in Plymouth Meeting.

After a couple of back operations in 90 & 91 and several years (4) of rehab the nerves in my legs were regenerated to about 85%.

My employer expressed to me that I will never be working on construction surveying again, the insurance company refused to cover me. My employer explained that I could help the company greatly if I got my Professional Engineering License (I already passed the first portion of the exams in 1974- EIT).

So, twenty years ago in 1997, at the age of 49, I took and passed my P.E., an it was the best thing that happened to me in my years of employment. Many of my professional sponsors offered me good luck, because they themselves doubted they would pass the exams at my age.

Funny, The Lord can with in mysterious ways. :cool:
That is quite impressive.

Imagine doing it with 40 other cars around you on 36 degrees of oval banking (See Bristol, TN.). People who put NASCAR down as a sport should try it.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT