ADVERTISEMENT

Cracks me up that Iowa's running game is worse than PSU's through 5 Games

Not sure about the team but a not insignificant portion of the fan base is trash. What’s the over under on ped jokes and Sandusky references on the Iowa board this week?
Probably a lot more than it would be if you guys weren't so thin skinned about it ;) Hayden Fry used to say if you don't want people to get your goat, don't let them know where you keep it.

BTW I think Joe Pa got railed and that college football lost something wonderful the day he passed away. I realize that I'm in the minority among non-PSU fans.

I think Saturday is going to be a brawl if both teams bring their A games and the winner will get their best win of the year so far. Outside of that, I really have no idea what to expect.

Last edited:
Probably a lot more than it would be if you guys weren't so thin skinned about it ;) Hayden Fry used to say if you don't want people to get your goat, don't let them know where you keep it.

BTW I think Joe Pa got railed and that college football lost something wonderful the day he passed away. I realize that I'm in the minority among non-PSU fans.

I think Saturday is going to be a brawl if both teams bring their A games and the winner will get their best win of the year so far. Outside of that, I really have no idea what to expect.

Your fan base by and large finds child
abuse amusing.

Maryland beat West Virginia. A team that gave Oklahoma everything they wanted. While Wisconsin has had a brutal brutal schedule, they haven’t beaten anyone with a pulse.
Kind of like how IA St hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse?
Edit - consensus preseason top 10 IA St.

Maryland beat West Virginia. A team that gave Oklahoma everything they wanted. While Wisconsin has had a brutal brutal schedule, they haven’t beaten anyone with a pulse.
WVU…the team that lost to Texas Tech? That team? Give me a break. And pretty much everyone Oklahoma has played has given them all they could handle, including Tulane.

Well, of the 2 Offenses, PSU's Offense has put up light-years better stats - against much better competition, especially defensively (Auburn and Wisconsin are elite defenses). Iowa is only averaging 320 Offensive Yards Per Game - dead last in b1g.
I think we need to stop calling Wisky an elite defense.....or anything for that matter.

....but we haven't heard a word about this from the jabronis who keep telling us how great Iowa is, and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because their OL doesn't suck like PSU's.... LMAO!

Iowa is 12th in b1g in rushing yards per game (PSU 11th). Iowa is even worse in yards per rushing attempt - tied for 12th/13th of 14 at 3.4 yards per carry (only Purdue worse at 2.8 ypc). PSU is 9th at 3.9 ypc.

However, PSU's passing game is ranked 4th in b1g and Total Offense is 6th at 286 and 423 ypg respectively. Iowa's Total Offense is dead last in the b1g at 320 ypg because their passing offense is just as bad as their running game, but this is the awesome "complete" Iowa team, that doesn't have a sucky OL and Offense like PSU's, that is going to expose PSU.... LMAO
Psychology call this "talking up your book" its a sure sign that your panicking.

I think we need to stop calling Wisky an elite defense.....or anything for that matter.

Really??? Through this past weekend, Wisconsin is ranked #3 in the nation in Total Defense only giving up 249 yards per game - I'd say that's pretty elite especially given the schedule they've played to date.

Really??? Through this past weekend, Wisconsin is ranked #3 in the nation in Total Defense only giving up 249 yards per game - I'd say that's pretty elite especially given the schedule they've played to date.
They've got 3 losses. No one is elite with a 1-3 record.

....but we haven't heard a word about this from the jabronis who keep telling us how great Iowa is, and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because their OL doesn't suck like PSU's.... LMAO!

Iowa is 12th in b1g in rushing yards per game (PSU 11th). Iowa is even worse in yards per rushing attempt - tied for 12th/13th of 14 at 3.4 yards per carry (only Purdue worse at 2.8 ypc). PSU is 9th at 3.9 ypc.

However, PSU's passing game is ranked 4th in b1g and Total Offense is 6th at 286 and 423 ypg respectively. Iowa's Total Offense is dead last in the b1g at 320 ypg because their passing offense is just as bad as their running game, but this is the awesome "complete" Iowa team, that doesn't have a sucky OL and Offense like PSU's, that is going to expose PSU.... LMAO

Are you using Villanova game stats in your numbers?

Iowa's offensive line improved some at Maryland. Injury to Kyler Schott hurt Iowa this year.

Tyler Goodson ran well at times this season. He really had a good game at Maryland in passing game.

Ivory Kelly-Martin ran well vs. Maryland.

Penn State and Iowa were supposed to have good running games this season. Both have been underwhelming.

Fair assessment. I agree about the turnovers, and I'd agree there is a skill to creating them. By no means have most of Iowa's turnovers received been fluke in nature.

From the Iowa side, I'd say as long as Iowa's offense doesn't commit turnovers that gives PSU great field position, then I like Iowa' chances. So far this year Iowa hasn't shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over.
It's not that Iowa's turnovers have been fluky. It is just that if you look at the statistics, things will eventually move back towards the median.

For 2019 (the last "regular" CFB season), Iowa average being +0.7 turnovers per game (which is still pretty good) and the best team in FB that year was SDSU at +1.6. (over the past team seasons the best in nation for this stats fluctuates between 1.4 and 1.8, but never above 2).

Iowa right now is at +2.4. So based on the history of the numbers, Iowa's +/- per game is going to go down over the rest of the season, so that things average out to less than 2.

I also think PSU will hit some big plays. Iowa has not faced a team with the quality of WR and TEs that PSU has.

Should be a good game.

Reactions: ftlpsu
So if a team lost 3-0 to Bama, Georgia and PSU in their first three games, they wouldn’t be an elite defense?

His post is rather absurd given that Wisconsin, through this last weekend, is #3 in the nation in scoring defense - and that's having played 3 of their games against current top 14 teams.

I usually skip Bushie’s posts, and I confess that I didn’t read much of this one. The main difference thus far in rushing between the two squads, neither of whose rushing attacks are formidable, is that Cliff has like 137 yards net, and Petras like -50. The Iowa RBs are actually doing better than the PSU RBs, and that’s what most people think about.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
The main difference thus far in rushing between the two squads, neither of whose rushing attacks are formidable, is that Cliff has like 137 yards net, and Petras like -50. The Iowa RBs are actually doing better than the PSU RBs, and that’s what most people think about.

I don't think a single person has said "Penn State is a better rushing team than Iowa." If they have, I missed it.

The issue is, Iowa is slightly better at rushing than we are, but nowhere near as strong throwing the ball.

Their advantage in the run game doesn't appear to be enough to even offset things. It's their defense that has the ability to offset. And that's most likely where this ball games result is determined.

Reactions: ftlpsu
45% of Iowa’s points scored to date are off turnovers. That percentage isn’t sustainable. It might not be against us but they’re going to have a game that doesn’t follow that script and they’re going to lose. No points off turnovers in the first half against Colorado state and they’re losing at half time…

If we don’t give them short fields off turnovers I don’t think they’ll be able to put together enough long scoring drives to keep up. Stout pinning them deep going to be important.

I don't think a single person has said "Penn State is a better rushing team than Iowa." If they have, I missed it.

The issue is, Iowa is slightly better at rushing than we are, but nowhere near as strong throwing the ball.

Their advantage in the run game doesn't appear to be enough to even offset things. It's their defense that has the ability to offset. And that's most likely where this ball games result is determined.
I am not sold on their defense either. I mean it is good, but I am not sure it is elite. It relies very heavily on turnovers and as I have said in other threads, that is not sustainable over the length of a season. But we will see on Saturday.

Geez, the OP certainly threw something very close to it out there.

Geez, the OP certainly threw something very close to it out there.

So you are appalled at the statistics that label our rushing game as slightly better than Iowa's?

While a bit over enthusiastic, he certainly didn't say that our running game was some great thing. He merely posted the stats. Ones that shocked me because I've been led to believe that Iowa is a good rushing team.

It's hard to say that they are a good rushing team if we have better rushing stats. No? And I don't want to hear about Clifford having 150 and Petras having negative yards. If so, it sounds like we ought to swarm him while Clifford might escape and make plays, no?

Please point out where I compared the quality of the Maryland defense with the Penn State defense. I asked if the scheme was the same.

This board has the biggest bunch of snowflakes I’ve seen in 20 years of posting on rivals and their predecessors. You literally lie in wait looking to take offense at anything posted. Get over yourselves for goodness sakes. No one is playing down the quality of your team.
Damn!!! The pig-p*rking corn-s*cking cow-tippers are out in full force!!!!

I don't know what games you're watching or what you were on when you read my post.

I stated, "Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks."

At Wisconsin, Clifford threw 59%. At HOME versus Indiana, Clifford threw 53%. Do you seriously believe 53% and 59% completion rates are indicative of an accurate passer during those weeks?

My statement is clear that he is inaccurate some weeks.

To use your words, I don't know where YOUR "nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense" come from...

Clifford's present 67% completion percentage might be third in the conference but which Clifford will we get from week to week - the 53% passer or the 87% passer? (It is 30th nationally) The offense's 418 YPG is SIXTH in the conference. The team's 30 PPG is SIXTH in the conference. Clifford's YPA is FIFTH in the conference. The offense is FOURTH in YPG passing but ELEVENTH in YPG rushing.

In no way is it "nonsensical" or "anti-factual" to characterize the PSU offense as lacking. The statistics support the offense as a middle of the pack B1G offense and nothing more. It is my belief, and that clearly of others, that the offense needs to get better for this team to have a serious chance at a B1G Championship and/or CFP berth.

It is perfectly reasonable for us as fans to be thrilled and excited that our team is 5-0 but also looking for improvements that we believe will help them become 15-0 before the end of the year.
LOL even joe montana had his bad days!!!

LOL even joe montana had his bad days!!!
I am not asking for him to be perfect, or to be an 87% passer every game - I'd just like to see him play well in the big games and not make mistakes in the small ones which, except for the first half at Wisconsin, is what Clifford has done this year so far. I do object to the idea that the offense is A-OK with how it has been playing overall and I believe the statistics support that position, at least insofar as championship desires whether B1G or CFP.

I don't get the white knighting here.

I said Clifford can be inaccurate some weeks and the statistics back up that assertion. I'm not saying he's a bum or he should be benched, far from it. I thought he played a great, not elite, but great game against Auburn and would love to see a repeat of that this weekend. I don't think that will happen but I do believe we will see the Game Manager version of Clifford who doesn't throw INTs that hurt the team and believe we must see at least that to beat Iowa.

Not sure about the team but a not insignificant portion of the fan base is trash. What’s the over under on ped jokes and Sandusky references on the Iowa board this week?
As of Monday afternoon PSU 'Ped' comments on Iowa boards are slightly leading Iowa 'Racism' comments on PSU boards...

glass-house-throw-stone-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
...Ones that shocked me because I've been led to believe that Iowa is a good rushing team.

It's hard to say that they are a good rushing team if we have better rushing stats. No? And I don't want to hear about Clifford having 150 and Petras having negative yards. If so, it sounds like we ought to swarm him while Clifford might escape and make plays, no?
Thru 5 games Iowa has not been a good running team. From my very limited expertise there are a few reasons for this:
1) Young OL..Iowa starts a true freshmen G and a redshirt freshmen T (only 1 Sr in the OL two deep)
2) Sr starting G was hurt over the summer and returned vs Maryland (actually returned with limited snaps the week before that)
3) Opponents taking away the run to force Iowa QB (Petras) to beat them.

As to #3, the strategy worked well in games 1-3 as Iowa's passing attack was inconsistent at best and not good at times. Iowa hit 4 deep balls on vs Colorado State which helped loosen things up. Vs Maryland Iowa came out throwing successfully and eventually the running game picked up (as did the play action passing) and it was Iowa's best offensive effort on the season.

Game on Saturday is a simple one for me. Assuming no huge special teams plays...If PSU doesn't turn the ball over and PSU can limit the Iowa running game with its base defense (not selling out to stop the run) I think PSU wins with both teams scoring in the low 20's - mid teens.

Last edited:
Thru 5 games Iowa has not been a good running team. From my very limited expertise there are a few reasons for this:
1) Young OL..Iowa starts a true freshmen G and a redshirt freshmen T (only 1 Sr in the OL two deep)
2) Sr starting G was hurt over the summer and returned vs Maryland (actually returned with limited snaps the week before that)
3) Opponents taking away the run to force Iowa QB (Petras) to beat them.

As to #3, the strategy worked well in games 1-3 as Iowa's passing attack was inconsistent at best and not good at times. Iowa hit 4 deep balls on vs Colorado State which helped loosen things up. Vs Maryland Iowa came out throwing successfully and eventually the running game picked up (as did the play action passing) and it was Iowa's best offensive effort on the season.

Game on Saturday is a simple one for me. Assuming no huge special teams plays...If PSU doesn't turn the ball over and PSU can limit the Iowa running game with its base defense (not selling out to stop the run) I think PSU wins with both teams scoring in the low 20's - mid teens.

Excellent post. Thank you. Didn't realize you had such a young OL. I think you will find some yards on the ground Saturday. If you can get us for chunks, it will be a stress the defense has prevented so far.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
Hello Lions,

I have always found your fan base to be some of the most knowledgeable out there, and I Iove the breakdowns that I have seen so far. Ignore the losers that come spouting crap. I know all fan bases have them....but dang.

Here is how I see it.
  • I LOVE our Defense and think Phil P. is vastly underrated. But, as has already been pointed out to death unlike PSU, 60%+ of our points have come off of turnovers. There is NO WAY we can sustain that and at some point our D has to truly stop someone for an extended period of time.
  • PSU has the best offense we will have seen to date....and we have seen NO ONE that is the equal to Dotson. He is a man among boys and I fear he will have the same impact on this game that S Barkley had in his visit to Iowa. Ugh...I STILL Have nightmares!!!
  • Also, PSU's Defense will be the best we have gone up against. No bones about it. If this were in Happy Valley....well...you know.
  • I do think the Hawks can win, but we will HAVE to be balanced and be able to run AND throw the ball. If this is left on Petras to win it I just don't think he can do it. I do like the improvements I have seen from him though..
Good luck and lets pray for a safe game!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT