ADVERTISEMENT

Cracks me up that Iowa's running game is worse than PSU's through 5 Games

I don't know what games you're watching or what you were on when you read my post.

I stated, "Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks."

At Wisconsin, Clifford threw 59%. At HOME versus Indiana, Clifford threw 53%. Do you seriously believe 53% and 59% completion rates are indicative of an accurate passer during those weeks?

My statement is clear that he is inaccurate some weeks.

To use your words, I don't know where YOUR "nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense" come from...

Clifford's present 67% completion percentage might be third in the conference but which Clifford will we get from week to week - the 53% passer or the 87% passer? (It is 30th nationally) The offense's 418 YPG is SIXTH in the conference. The team's 30 PPG is SIXTH in the conference. Clifford's YPA is FIFTH in the conference. The offense is FOURTH in YPG passing but ELEVENTH in YPG rushing.

In no way is it "nonsensical" or "anti-factual" to characterize the PSU offense as lacking. The statistics support the offense as a middle of the pack B1G offense and nothing more. It is my belief, and that clearly of others, that the offense needs to get better for this team to have a serious chance at a B1G Championship and/or CFP berth.

It is perfectly reasonable for us as fans to be thrilled and excited that our team is 5-0 but also looking for improvements that we believe will help them become 15-0 before the end of the year.
You are wasting your time with this genius. He’s a fanboy of all fanboys. He sits around combing through stats of teams that have nothing to do with PSU and starts threads about them to try and dunk on posters who criticize anything PSU. God forbid some of us think the run game stinks. I’m pretty sure Franklin even commented on the need for the run game to improve.

You are wasting your time with this genius. He’s a fanboy of all fanboys. He sits around combing through stats of teams that have nothing to do with PSU and starts threads about them to try and dunk on posters who criticize anything PSU. God forbid some of us think the run game stinks. I’m pretty sure Franklin even commented on the need for the run game to improve.
1000%. U are right...I mean JF has said it weekly about the run game. I guess if posters say it...it doesn't count

Reactions: Grass
I don't know what games you're watching or what you were on when you read my post.

I stated, "Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks."

At Wisconsin, Clifford threw 59%. At HOME versus Indiana, Clifford threw 53%. Do you seriously believe 53% and 59% completion rates are indicative of an accurate passer during those weeks?

My statement is clear that he is inaccurate some weeks.

To use your words, I don't know where YOUR "nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense" come from...

Clifford's present 67% completion percentage might be third in the conference but which Clifford will we get from week to week - the 53% passer or the 87% passer? (It is 30th nationally) The offense's 418 YPG is SIXTH in the conference. The team's 30 PPG is SIXTH in the conference. Clifford's YPA is FIFTH in the conference. The offense is FOURTH in YPG passing but ELEVENTH in YPG rushing.

In no way is it "nonsensical" or "anti-factual" to characterize the PSU offense as lacking. The statistics support the offense as a middle of the pack B1G offense and nothing more. It is my belief, and that clearly of others, that the offense needs to get better for this team to have a serious chance at a B1G Championship and/or CFP berth.

It is perfectly reasonable for us as fans to be thrilled and excited that our team is 5-0 but also looking for improvements that we believe will help them become 15-0 before the end of the year.

I'm cherry picking stats? 67% is the completion rate of ALL his passes you f'ing moron! The definition of not cherry picking stats! You ignore the fact that Clifford's average completion embedded in that 67% Completion Rate is 13 Yards! Those two numbers taken together are off the charts good (Clifford isn't throwing high-% little dink passes - he's throwing the ball downfield and a 67% completion rate combined with an average completion of 13 yards is off-the-charts good.). BTW, you demonstrate how little you know about football when you claim a 59% completion rate is an indication of an inaccurate passer! A 59% completion rate is pretty decent, especially when your average completion is for 14 yards! I'm done talking to a twit that claims I'm cherry-picking completion stats when I'm giving the average completion rate of EVERY PASS THAT CLIFFORD HAS ATTEMPTED THIS YEAR!!! And then turns around and claims a performance where Clifford completes 59% of his passes for an average completion of 14 yards, a TD and no interceptions for a QBR of 70.0 is a bad game and a highly inaccurate outting??? A QBR of 70.0 is far from bad Boy Genius. BTW, PSU's Total Offense is 6th in b1g at 423 yards per game - Iowa's is DEAD LAST 14th of 14 Team conference at 320 yards per game. Gee, do tell what you make of that Mr. Football Genius Savant??? LMFAO

1000%. U are right...I mean JF has said it weekly about the run game. I guess if posters say it...it doesn't count

Iowa's rushing offense is WORSE than PSU's in terms of both Yards Per Rushing Attempt and Rushing Yards Per Game, so what's that tell you about Iowa's chances then Boy Genius??? LMFAO!

Um, yes. All officials have a bias for certain teams and against others. It’s human nature. I’m not saying there’s a conspiracy, it’s not like that….but we’ve seen too much crap to not realize certain officials have a definite bias against us and/or for a couple of other teams in the conference (hello OSU and Michigan).
We have been on the wrong side with Michigan and OSU too, so you are not he only ones. There were years where the refs were so bad when we played them it was blatant and obvious.

Reactions: sarasotan
....but we haven't heard a word about this from the jabronis who keep telling us how great Iowa is, and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because their OL doesn't suck like PSU's.... LMAO!

Iowa is 12th in b1g in rushing yards per game (PSU 11th). Iowa is even worse in yards per rushing attempt - tied for 12th/13th of 14 at 3.4 yards per carry (only Purdue worse at 2.8 ypc). PSU is 9th at 3.9 ypc.

However, PSU's passing game is ranked 4th in b1g and Total Offense is 6th at 286 and 423 ypg respectively. Iowa's Total Offense is dead last in the b1g at 320 ypg because their passing offense is just as bad as their running game, but this is the awesome "complete" Iowa team, that doesn't have a sucky OL and Offense like PSU's, that is going to expose PSU.... LMAO
+1 for jabronis.

Give me a break-- now you want to go back and analyze play after play through many years to see who got screwed and who didn't? C'mon, every team's fans can show you video after video.
Another pig-p*rking corn-s*cking shiz-bird on this site trying to tell us how to act!!! Will it never end?????

Iowa fan here. I come here respectfully.

You can bash Iowa all you want and you're entitled. The game will be played Saturday and the better team will win-- whoever that is. Maybe you're right-- maybe Iowa is borderline trash. You sound like you not only see a sure PSU win, but a blowout. That's OK. I respect your program and team and know Iowa will need to play well Saturday. Safe travels to Iowa if you're headed this way.
I suspect both teams are a little overrated, by about 5 spots.

Reactions: frydaze
Iowa is a good balanced team reminds me of the PSU early 80's teams good base defense, smart QB, good bell cow rb with a decent back up rb, excellent TE, and decent receivers. QB is smart enough to roll out of trouble.
Defense is stout, typical big dl, excellent linebackers and i don't know enough about their secondary.

Joe would play a slug fest mano y mano and usually lose, especially special teams and FG's. James has a different approach, only draw back is the need for chunk plays. Iowa will be favored, PSU has played to the level of their competition this year, we'll see.

Fair. The secondary at Iowa has played a bunch of football and won a bunch of games. Both cornerbacks have started at least off and on for four years. They have excelled at baiting quarterbacks into making a throw they can intercept. I think the safeties are serviceable. Petra’s played by far his best game Friday night. Not even close. He was confident, prepared and poised. For one of the first games he went through his reads and looked off receivers.

I did read somewhere that Penn State plays a similar defensive style to Maryland. True?

Iowa's rushing offense is WORSE than PSU's in terms of both Yards Per Rushing Attempt and Rushing Yards Per Game, so what's that tell you about Iowa's chances then Boy Genius??? LMFAO!

You won’t find an Iowa fan out there that isn’t worried if they can run the ball against Penn State. At least any sane fan. They’ve struggled.

I'm cherry picking stats? 67% is the completion rate of ALL his passes you f'ing moron! The definition of not cherry picking stats! You ignore the fact that Clifford's average completion embedded in that 67% Completion Rate is 13 Yards! Those two numbers taken together are off the charts good (Clifford isn't throwing high-% little dink passes - he's throwing the ball downfield and a 67% completion rate combined with an average completion of 13 yards is off-the-charts good.). BTW, you demonstrate how little you know about football when you claim a 59% completion rate is an indication of an inaccurate passer! A 59% completion rate is pretty decent, especially when your average completion is for 14 yards! I'm done talking to a twit that claims I'm cherry-picking completion stats when I'm giving the average completion rate of EVERY PASS THAT CLIFFORD HAS ATTEMPTED THIS YEAR!!! And then turns around and claims a performance where Clifford completes 59% of his passes for an average completion of 14 yards, a TD and no interceptions for a QBR of 70.0 is a bad game and a highly inaccurate outting??? A QBR of 70.0 is far from bad Boy Genius. BTW, PSU's Total Offense is 6th in b1g at 423 yards per game - Iowa's is DEAD LAST 14th of 14 Team conference at 320 yards per game. Gee, do tell what you make of that Mr. Football Genius Savant??? LMFAO
Good conversation. Glad you’re done talking to me. Plonk.

Fair. The secondary at Iowa has played a bunch of football and won a bunch of games. Both cornerbacks have started at least off and on for four years. They have excelled at baiting quarterbacks into making a throw they can intercept. I think the safeties are serviceable. Petra’s played by far his best game Friday night. Not even close. He was confident, prepared and poised. For one of the first games he went through his reads and looked off receivers.

I did read somewhere that Penn State plays a similar defensive style to Maryland. True?
LMFAO, PSU is #3 in the Country in scoring defense.... Something tells me they're a little better than MD's D... [insert eyeroll]....

I feel dirty for defending ISU, but here goes. They won the Fiesta Bowl last season and returned 20/22 starters, including two preseason all Americans. If that was true about Penn State, where would you expect to be ranked? They’ve lost to a top 5 Iowa team at home as well as a one loss Baylor team on the road. Your ignorance of all things college football, excepting PSU, is showing.
See Ball State. Didn’t they return like 30 starters from a MAC champ and Bowl winner? Yea, they were great.

Iowa is a good balanced team reminds me of the PSU early 80's teams good base defense, smart QB, good bell cow rb with a decent back up rb, excellent TE, and decent receivers. QB is smart enough to roll out of trouble.
Defense is stout, typical big dl, excellent linebackers and i don't know enough about their secondary.

Joe would play a slug fest mano y mano and usually lose, especially special teams and FG's. James has a different approach, only draw back is the need for chunk plays. Iowa will be favored, PSU has played to the level of their competition this year, we'll see.

Iowa is a good "balanced" team??? They have the worst Offensive Stats in the Conference! PSU has one of the best passing attacks in the Conference and their Overall Offensive stats are very good (425 ypg and very good "offensive efficiency" - i.e., Offensive Yards needed per point).

How exactly is Iowa "balanced", but PSU isn't, when their running stats are worse than PSU's in terms of both average gain per carry and average rushing yards per game.... and their overall offensive stats are significantly worse than PSU's and dead last in the entire conference????

See Ball State. Didn’t they return like 30 starters from a MAC champ and Bowl winner? Yea, they were great.

Iowa State being ranked pre-season top 10 is a joke.... as their 2-2 start (losing to every decent team they played) proves. But according to these same people, 4-1 Auburn (who just beat LSU at their place and whose only loss is to PSU....) doesn't deserve to be ranked???? Things that make you go hhhhmmmmm....????

Iowa State being ranked pre-season top 10 is a joke.... as their 2-2 start (losing to every decent team they played) proves. But according to these same people, 4-1 Auburn (who just beat LSU at their place and whose only loss is to PSU....) doesn't deserve to be ranked???? Things that make you go hhhhmmmmm....????
I completely agree. Preseason rankings are a wild guess in a good year. 2020 Covid impact make early 2021 polls worthless.

Reactions: sarasotan

You think auburn is better because you played them. That’s fine. If you had beaten Iowa State, at Iowa State mind you, you wouldn’t think they were overrated. Iowa went on the road and beat a rival with Gameday in town. You can downplay it all you like. Still happened.

Iowa is a good "balanced" team??? They have the worst Offensive Stats in the Conference! PSU has one of the best passing attacks in the Conference and their Overall Offensive stats are very good (425 ypg and very good "offensive efficiency" - i.e., Offensive Yards needed per point).

How exactly is Iowa "balanced", but PSU isn't, when their running stats are worse than PSU's in terms of both average gain per carry and average rushing yards per game.... and their overall offensive stats are significantly worse than PSU's and dead last in the entire conference????

Did you see the poster above you that argued stats are kind of meaningless this early?

LMFAO, PSU is #3 in the Country in scoring defense.... Something tells me they're a little better than MD's D... [insert eyeroll]....

Please point out where I compared the quality of the Maryland defense with the Penn State defense. I asked if the scheme was the same.

This board has the biggest bunch of snowflakes I’ve seen in 20 years of posting on rivals and their predecessors. You literally lie in wait looking to take offense at anything posted. Get over yourselves for goodness sakes. No one is playing down the quality of your team.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Did you see the poster above you that argued stats are kind of meaningless this early?

Oh, so Iowa's average yards per carry of 3.4 ypc against a group off opponents that's gone 9-10 to date didn't actually happen? (Ditto putting up only 320 Offensive YPG - dead last in b1g - against this group didn't really happen???). Ummm..... no, I'm pretty sure you're dead-wrong about that.

You think auburn is better because you played them. That’s fine. If you had beaten Iowa State, at Iowa State mind you, you wouldn’t think they were overrated. Iowa went on the road and beat a rival with Gameday in town. You can downplay it all you like. Still happened.

No, I think Auburn is 4-1, ranked and not the only person that thinks they're better than ISU. LMAO.

Please point out where I compared the quality of the Maryland defense with the Penn State defense. I asked if the scheme was the same.

This board has the biggest bunch of snowflakes I’ve seen in 20 years of posting on rivals and their predecessors. You literally lie in wait looking to take offense at anything posted. Get over yourselves for goodness sakes. No one is playing down the quality of your team.
I think you ran into one of our trolls, as I did upthread.

They have the honor of being the first on my ignore list. Suggest you do the same and continue visiting us.

We beat Wiscy on the road and most of the posters on here admit they were overrated….but you keep that fantasy that Iowa State is good.

Iowa fan here. I come here respectfully.

You can bash Iowa all you want and you're entitled. The game will be played Saturday and the better team will win-- whoever that is. Maybe you're right-- maybe Iowa is borderline trash. You sound like you not only see a sure PSU win, but a blowout. That's OK. I respect your program and team and know Iowa will need to play well Saturday. Safe travels to Iowa if you're headed this way.
Big ten refs might change the outcome happened many times before

Then why do you post here? Go away.

No, I think Auburn is 4-1, ranked and not the only person that thinks they're better than ISU. LMAO.

Ah but that’s not what you said. You said they weren’t deserving of being ranked that high in the preseason. If Penn State were coming off a Fiesta Bowl win and had 20 returning starters and a couple consensus you’d expect to be ranked as well. Someone has to be ranked in the top ten preseason.

We beat Wiscy on the road and most of the posters on here admit they were overrated….but you keep that fantasy that Iowa State is good.
What position do you play? At any rate, Iowa beat Maryland on the road. A team with a better record and better wins than Wisconsin. Both mean nothing come Saturday.

I think you ran into one of our trolls, as I did upthread.

They have the honor of being the first on my ignore list. Suggest you do the same and continue visiting us.

Thanks for the thoughts. I need to get back in track with this. I have this thing about big plays deciding the outcome of big games. Big plays mean 40 yard plus pass plays and 25 yard plus run plays. Red zone turnovers count as two and other turnovers count as one. Whoever has the most wins the game. I think iowa needs two red zone turnovers from Penn State to win.

What a twit, I have no idea what defensive scheme MD runs dipshit. PSU runs a 4-3-4 Base Defensive Scheme no different than the vast majority of the b1g.

Thanks for the thoughts. I need to get back in track with this. I have this thing about big plays deciding the outcome of big games. Big plays mean 40 yard plus pass plays and 25 yard plus run plays. Red zone turnovers count as two and other turnovers count as one. Whoever has the most wins the game. I think iowa needs two red zone turnovers from Penn State to win.
Franklin is big on explosive plays, as he calls them. I see the logic but us Penn Staters are sometimes stuck on the “old ways.” :)

I agree with you that Iowa wins if Penn State turns the ball over a few times. I expect we see the same Clifford we saw versus Auburn - nothing spectacular but no mistakes, either, and that’s the difference.

To be honest I haven't read the posts claiming that Iowa is going to "expose" PSU. I have seen people express concern about PSU's ability to run the ball and that it could cost us a couple of games if not corrected.

They are on here, and they are by our own fans. I've not seen an Iowa fan say it, but I've not combed over their posts fine either.

You also have to acknowledge that Iowa's offensive stats are worse than ours. They NEED to be positive in the turnover department to beat us. That's how they have scored their points.

On the other hand, we use turnovers to get off the field. It's been a part of our scoring defense. Not nearly as vital as Iowa's, but it's been a part of our DNA this season.

Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned is how will Iowa play against our defense? Can they break a run? Can they pass to their WRs?

It's not you my friend. Some people on this board can't seem to disagree or even have an exchange without resorting to name calling.

Reactions: Grass
Franklin is big on explosive plays, as he calls them. I see the logic but us Penn Staters are sometimes stuck on the “old ways.” :)

I agree with you that Iowa wins if Penn State turns the ball over a few times. I expect we see the same Clifford we saw versus Auburn - nothing spectacular but no mistakes, either, and that’s the difference.

Teams get in trouble sometimes when they play Iowa and get inpatient. Northwestern gives Iowa issues for that very reason. I just don’t think Clifford can make a living throwing the ball 20+ downfield. I don’t think Penn State will rush for 200+ yards. They are going to have to make controlled pass plays down the field.

You also have to acknowledge that Iowa's offensive stats are worse than ours. They NEED to be positive in the turnover department to beat us. That's how they have scored their points.
While my post wasn’t specifically about the Iowa game…

In regards to the Iowa game I absolutely agree.

In regards to OSU, UM, and MSU, I believe we’ll need more offense.

Ah but that’s not what you said. You said they weren’t deserving of being ranked that high in the preseason. If Penn State were coming off a Fiesta Bowl win and had 20 returning starters and a couple consensus you’d expect to be ranked as well. Someone has to be ranked in the top ten preseason.
What position do you play? At any rate, Iowa beat Maryland on the road. A team with a better record and better wins than Wisconsin. Both mean nothing come Saturday.
Yeah Maryland has had a meat grinder of a schedule (eye roll).

They are on here, and they are by our own fans. I've not seen an Iowa fan say it, but I've not combed over their posts fine either.

On the other hand, we use turnovers to get off the field. It's been a part of our scoring defense. Not nearly as vital as Iowa's, but it's been a part of our DNA this season.

Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned is how will Iowa play against our defense? Can they break a run? Can they pass to their WRs?

If Iowa gets a big play on offense it will be Tyler Goodson on a pass play out of the backfield. The haven’t shown anything approaching a big play running the balls, sans one play agains Indiana. Petras actually throws a pretty nice downfield pass if the line can give him a clean pocket.

Yeah Maryland has had a meat grinder of a schedule (eye roll).

Maryland beat West Virginia. A team that gave Oklahoma everything they wanted. While Wisconsin has had a brutal brutal schedule, they haven’t beaten anyone with a pulse.

In regards to OSU, UM, and MSU, I believe we’ll need more offense.

OSU, yes.

Michigan and Sparty, I'm leaning towards no.

Maryland beat West Virginia. A team that gave Oklahoma everything they wanted. While Wisconsin has had a brutal brutal schedule, they haven’t beaten anyone with a pulse.

Wisconsin has 3 losses vs top 15 teams at the moment. They might not lose again the rest of the year save for Iowa if Mertz gets back. They aren't top 15, but they might end up top 30.

ADVERTISEMENT