ADVERTISEMENT

Cracks me up that Iowa's running game is worse than PSU's through 5 Games

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
....but we haven't heard a word about this from the jabronis who keep telling us how great Iowa is, and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because their OL doesn't suck like PSU's.... LMAO!

Iowa is 12th in b1g in rushing yards per game (PSU 11th). Iowa is even worse in yards per rushing attempt - tied for 12th/13th of 14 at 3.4 yards per carry (only Purdue worse at 2.8 ypc). PSU is 9th at 3.9 ypc.

However, PSU's passing game is ranked 4th in b1g and Total Offense is 6th at 286 and 423 ypg respectively. Iowa's Total Offense is dead last in the b1g at 320 ypg because their passing offense is just as bad as their running game, but this is the awesome "complete" Iowa team, that doesn't have a sucky OL and Offense like PSU's, that is going to expose PSU.... LMAO

....but we haven't heard a word about this from the jabronis who keep telling us how great Iowa is, and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because their OL doesn't suck like PSU's.... LMAO!

Iowa is 12th in b1g in rushing yards per game (PSU 11th). Iowa is even worse in yards per rushing attempt - tied for 12th/13th of 14 at 3.4 yards per carry (only Purdue worse at 2.8 ypc). PSU is 9th at 3.9 ypc.

However, PSU's passing game is ranked 4th in b1g and Total Offense is 6th at 286 and 423 ypg respectively. Iowa's Total Offense is dead last in the b1g at 320 ypg because their passing offense is just as bad as their running game, but this is the awesome "complete" Iowa team, that doesn't have a sucky OL and Offense like PSU's, that is going to expose PSU.... LMAO
Interesting. But does any of this even matter? Look at yesterday. Someone is gonna win and someone is gonna lose, whether they can or can’t run or pass or whatever. Texas A & M and Oregon lose, number 8 Arkansas gets shut out, and Ole Miss - averaging 635.5 yards per game - gets only 292 (of which 78 are on the ground). Stats are interesting, but do they really tell us anything?

Interesting. But does any of this even matter? Look at yesterday. Someone is gonna win and someone is gonna lose, whether they can or can’t run or pass or whatever. Texas A & M and Oregon lose, number 8 Arkansas gets shut out, and Ole Miss - averaging 635.5 yards per game - gets only 292 (of which 78 are on the ground). Stats are interesting, but do they really tell us anything?

I don't know - shouldn't you be asking all of the football savants who were telling us how badly PSU's Offense and OL sucked during yesterday's 24-0 win in the "In-Game Thread"?.... and telling us how Iowa was going to "expose PSU" because they had such an awesome OL and Offense???? LMAO

Iowa fan here. I come here respectfully.

You can bash Iowa all you want and you're entitled. The game will be played Saturday and the better team will win-- whoever that is. Maybe you're right-- maybe Iowa is borderline trash. You sound like you not only see a sure PSU win, but a blowout. That's OK. I respect your program and team and know Iowa will need to play well Saturday. Safe travels to Iowa if you're headed this way.

Fry, I didn't read any predictions in the OP. The point (reading really is fundamental) is that Iowa hasn't been putting up massive offensive numbers, just like PSU hasn't.

Yes, we will play on Saturday. But do you really want to say the best team will win? With BIG officials? More like a crap shoot to me. But I hope you're right!

It pretty simple. don't turn the ball over and we win.

Fry, I didn't read any predictions in the OP. The point (reading really is fundamental) is that Iowa hasn't been putting up massive offensive numbers, just like PSU hasn't.

Yes, we will play on Saturday. But do you really want to say the best team will win? With BIG officials? More like a crap shoot to me. But I hope you're right!
No argument from me on Iowa's offense this year so far. I have been critical of it also. I do however, love Iowa's defense.

I say the best team on that day will win Saturday because that's usually how it goes 99% of the time. You can criticize B1G officials all you want but do you really think they favor one team over another?

I've seen us lose to teams we should have beaten and beaten teams we should not have (like us beating Ohio State 55-24 in 2017)-- I'm sure you've seen the same countless times. You play one game at a time and see what happens. After Saturday both teams will have played only half their games for the season and many more games yet to go. This is my point.

You can bash Iowa all you want and you're entitled. The game will be played Saturday and the better team will win-- whoever that is. Maybe you're right-- maybe Iowa is borderline trash. You sound like you not only see a sure PSU win, but a blowout. That's OK. I respect your program and team and know Iowa will need to play well Saturday. Safe travels to Iowa if you're headed this way.

It's going to be a rock fight and we win rock fight this season.

You can criticize B1G officials all you want but do you really think they favor one team over another?
Um, yes. All officials have a bias for certain teams and against others. It’s human nature. I’m not saying there’s a conspiracy, it’s not like that….but we’ve seen too much crap to not realize certain officials have a definite bias against us and/or for a couple of other teams in the conference (hello OSU and Michigan).

Fry, you got it all wrong. The OP isn't trashing Iowa. Rather, he challenges the naysayers on this board; specifically, those who in last night's game thread say we've no chance against Iowa. And he uses stats to back it up. Nothing wrong with that.

Regarding stats, they reveal who you are. If you're not comfortable in your own skin and try to be someone you else then most likely you'll lose. A famous college football coach once said, "You gotta dance with the one who brung ya." So go dance with the one who brung ya. It aint always pretty but that's Iowa Cockeye football.

Thank you.

Hopefully it will be a good game determined by the players and not the officials. Both teams look strong but have their weaknesses. Can one team take advantage of the others perceived weakness? We'll see Saturday night.

Um, yes. All officials have a bias for certain teams and against others. It’s human nature. I’m not saying there’s a conspiracy, it’s not like that….but we’ve seen too much crap to not realize certain officials have a definite bias against us and/or for a couple of other teams in the conference (hello OSU and Michigan).
Name me a school anywhere in the country that doesn't have hundreds or thousands of fans that don't make the same claim. To me it's a tired argument because it's basically pointless and everyone claims the same. As fans we usually only focus on the calls that went against us and rarely do the calls that went in our favor. That's all I'm saying.

Fry, you got it all wrong. The OP isn't trashing Iowa. Rather, he challenges the naysayers on this board; specifically, those who in last night's game thread say we've no chance against Iowa. And he uses stats to back it up. Nothing wrong with that.

Regarding stats, they reveal who you are. If you're not comfortable in your own skin and try to be someone you else then most likely you'll lose. A famous college football coach once said, "You gotta dance with the one who brung ya." So go dance with the one who brung ya. It aint always pretty but that's Iowa Cockeye football.

Thank you.

Well, of the 2 Offenses, PSU's Offense has put up light-years better stats - against much better competition, especially defensively (Auburn and Wisconsin are elite defenses). Iowa is only averaging 320 Offensive Yards Per Game - dead last in b1g.

The competition between offenses on Saturday might very well be a prettiest pig competition.

My concern is that while I believe the PSU defense to be equal to or better than the Iowa defense overall, the PSU defense has not matched the opportunistic defense Iowa has displayed. The Iowa defense generates lots of turnovers that their less-than-flashy offense can turn into points with short fields - you don't need 500 yards to roll up points when you frequently only need to drive 30-40 yards for a TD.

Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks. This could be the week that those inaccurate throws turn into INTs and even though the PSU defense is rock solid in the redzone, some of those will turn into points.

Then again, this could be another week that Clifford manages the game, makes accurate but not spectacular throws, and Penn State wins by not turning the ball over.

Name me a school anywhere in the country that doesn't have hundreds or thousands of fans that don't make the same claim. To me it's a tired argument because it's basically pointless and everyone claims the same. As fans we usually only focus on the calls that went against us and rarely do the calls that went in our favor. That's all I'm saying.

But don’t forget we are lucky to be playing.

Well, of the 2 Offenses, PSU's Offense has put up light-years better stats - against much better competition, especially defensively (Auburn and Wisconsin are elite defenses). Iowa is only averaging 320 Offensive Yards Per Game - dead last in b1g.

FWIW, Sagarin has Iowa playing a harder schedule than Penn State. Link below. I think that Iowa State would have a fairly comparable strength of defense to Wisconsin. The are really very good. I haven’t seen much of Auburn so I will defer that. It’s early so stats aren’t really a great indicator just yet.

I know Penn State has a fine defense. No arguing. Iowa has already played a couple of defenses that aren’t too bad. We will see next Saturday.

The competition between offenses on Saturday might very well be a prettiest pig competition.

My concern is that while I believe the PSU defense to be equal to or better than the Iowa defense overall, the PSU defense has not matched the opportunistic defense Iowa has displayed. The Iowa defense generates lots of turnovers that their less-than-flashy offense can turn into points with short fields - you don't need 500 yards to roll up points when you frequently only need to drive 30-40 yards for a TD.

Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks. This could be the week that those inaccurate throws turn into INTs and even though the PSU defense is rock solid in the redzone, some of those will turn into points.

Then again, this could be another week that Clifford manages the game, makes accurate but not spectacular throws, and Penn State wins by not turning the ball over.

Going into yesterday's game Clifford was completing over 71% of his passes. Through yesterday's game, Clifford is averaging 270 yards a game passing, has 11 TD passes and 3 INT's... he's averaging 13 yards per completion (which is a phenomenal number!). Not sure what you've been watching but Clifford's numbers have been outstanding - among the best in the Conference. Where you got the notion that completing 70% of your passes for an average of 13 yards per completion (it's not like he's throwing a bunch of dink-&-dunk passes) is a worrying sign of inaccuracy is a bit mystifying, but fairly typical of the nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense made on this board. LMAO

Not sure about the team but a not insignificant portion of the fan base is trash. What’s the over under on ped jokes and Sandusky references on the Iowa board this week?

Well, we can all agree that Iowa fans are trash. No borderline about it.

FWIW, Sagarin has Iowa playing a harder schedule than Penn State. Link below. I think that Iowa State would have a fairly comparable strength of defense to Wisconsin. The are really very good. I haven’t seen much of Auburn so I will defer that. It’s early so stats aren’t really a great indicator just yet.

I know Penn State has a fine defense. No arguing. Iowa has already played a couple of defenses that aren’t too bad. We will see next Saturday.
Auburn is 4-1, ranked and just beat LSU at their place. They'll probably be mid-to-high teens in new poll.... Where precisely is 2-2 Iowa State (or any other team Iowa has played for that matter) ranked??? LMAO!!! Iowa State being ranked top ten pre-season is a joke - one of the biggest paper-tigers of all-time. What has Iowa State ever done to deserve a top ten pre-season ranking???... which they immediately lost by crapping the bed and starting the season 2-2.

Reactions: richmin3 and ftlpsu
I get that, but name me a team that has as much video and photo evidence of a call being wrong yet it still doesn’t get changed. I’ve also never seen a blatantly missed call where the replay equipment wasn’t “working” for just that call…it worked fine the rest of the game. Also, name me a game where a completely missed call cost Ohio State a game and I’m not talking about a snap decision judgement call or non-call. Also name me a team who had an official tell a player who was questioning a call, “You’re lucky to even be playing.”….I’ll wait.

I get that, but name me a team that has as much video and photo evidence of a call being wrong yet it still doesn’t get changed. I’ve also never seen a blatantly missed call where the replay equipment wasn’t “working” for just that call…it worked fine the rest of the game. Also, name me a game where a completely missed call cost Ohio State a game and I’m not talking about a snap decision judgement call or non-call. Also name me a team who had an official tell a player who was questioning a call, “You’re lucky to even be playing.”….I’ll wait.
I appreciate your comments but I stand behind my opinion and to why I feel that way. You seem to want to focus on Ohio State-- I understand why-- you guys hate them with a passion and I promise you there are OSU fans saying the same about PSU. It's just how this all works.

I appreciate your comments but I stand behind my opinion and to why I feel that way. You seem to want to focus on Ohio State-- I understand why-- you guys hate them with a passion and I promise you there are OSU fans saying the same about PSU. It's just how this all works.
But unlike OSU fans, PSU fans have loads of video and photo evidence to back up their statements…OSU has zero. But they did have a bad call go against them in a game they won years ago…so that evens it all out.

Tells me we’re in for another 6-4 game.

Defend this being overturned.

That's not what's going to happen, imo. It's going to be a bloodbath and probably come down to the final minutes. Anything in the realm of a double digit win by either side would truly surprise me.

Iowa looks like a very good team. I saw that they're 1.5 pt favorites to beat PSU so I guess there are a bunch of jobronis in Vegas too.

To be honest I haven't read the posts claiming that Iowa is going to "expose" PSU. I have seen people express concern about PSU's ability to run the ball and that it could cost us a couple of games if not corrected.

Reactions: GolfHacker1

I think Iowa is a good team, but I am not sure how good. A good deal of their success has been due to taking advantage of turnovers. While there is a skill to creating turnovers, the rate at which Iowa is getting TOs (e.g they were +6 against UMD) is a major outlier and is not sustainable. If the turnover margin is close to even next week, I don't see Iowa scoring enough points to win.

Either team could win in a blowout if one team plays their best game and the other team plays their worst game. But that seldom happens.

It’s a funny game…..on any given day (or night) a game could play out so many different ways based on great plays or blown plays, lucky bounces of a fumble or a punt, penalties called or not called (including targeting), a spotting injuries, etc.

Next Sat night…..who knows?

No argument from me on Iowa's offense this year so far. I have been critical of it also. I do however, love Iowa's defense.

I say the best team on that day will win Saturday because that's usually how it goes 99% of the time. You can criticize B1G officials all you want but do you really think they favor one team over another?

I've seen us lose to teams we should have beaten and beaten teams we should not have (like us beating Ohio State 55-24 in 2017)-- I'm sure you've seen the same countless times. You play one game at a time and see what happens. After Saturday both teams will have played only half their games for the season and many more games yet to go. This is my point.
Thats not the hill you want to die on over here.

Where you got the notion that completing 70% of your passes for an average of 13 yards per completion (it's not like he's throwing a bunch of dink-&-dunk passes) is a worrying sign of inaccuracy is a bit mystifying, but fairly typical of the nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense made on this board. LMAO
I don't know what games you're watching or what you were on when you read my post.

I stated, "Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks."

At Wisconsin, Clifford threw 59%. At HOME versus Indiana, Clifford threw 53%. Do you seriously believe 53% and 59% completion rates are indicative of an accurate passer during those weeks?

My statement is clear that he is inaccurate some weeks.

To use your words, I don't know where YOUR "nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense" come from...

Clifford's present 67% completion percentage might be third in the conference but which Clifford will we get from week to week - the 53% passer or the 87% passer? (It is 30th nationally) The offense's 418 YPG is SIXTH in the conference. The team's 30 PPG is SIXTH in the conference. Clifford's YPA is FIFTH in the conference. The offense is FOURTH in YPG passing but ELEVENTH in YPG rushing.

In no way is it "nonsensical" or "anti-factual" to characterize the PSU offense as lacking. The statistics support the offense as a middle of the pack B1G offense and nothing more. It is my belief, and that clearly of others, that the offense needs to get better for this team to have a serious chance at a B1G Championship and/or CFP berth.

It is perfectly reasonable for us as fans to be thrilled and excited that our team is 5-0 but also looking for improvements that we believe will help them become 15-0 before the end of the year.

Auburn is 4-1, ranked and just beat LSU at their place. They'll probably be mid-to-high teens in new poll.... Where precisely is 2-2 Iowa State (or any other team Iowa has played for that matter) ranked??? LMAO!!! Iowa State being ranked top ten pre-season is a joke - one of the biggest paper-tigers of all-time. What has Iowa State ever done to deserve a top ten pre-season ranking???... which they immediately lost by crapping the bed and starting the season 2-2.

I feel dirty for defending ISU, but here goes. They won the Fiesta Bowl last season and returned 20/22 starters, including two preseason all Americans. If that was true about Penn State, where would you expect to be ranked? They’ve lost to a top 5 Iowa team at home as well as a one loss Baylor team on the road. Your ignorance of all things college football, excepting PSU, is showing.

I think Iowa is a good team, but I am not sure how good. A good deal of their success has been due to taking advantage of turnovers. While there is a skill to creating turnovers, the rate at which Iowa is getting TOs (e.g they were +6 against UMD) is a major outlier and is not sustainable. If the turnover margin is close to even next week, I don't see Iowa scoring enough points to win.
Fair assessment. I agree about the turnovers, and I'd agree there is a skill to creating them. By no means have most of Iowa's turnovers received been fluke in nature.

From the Iowa side, I'd say as long as Iowa's offense doesn't commit turnovers that gives PSU great field position, then I like Iowa' chances. So far this year Iowa hasn't shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over.

I don't know what games you're watching or what you were on when you read my post.

I stated, "Clifford has not had many turnovers this year even if his passing has been less than accurate some weeks."

At Wisconsin, Clifford threw 59%. At HOME versus Indiana, Clifford threw 53%. Do you seriously believe 53% and 59% completion rates are indicative of an accurate passer during those weeks?

My statement is clear that he is inaccurate some weeks.

To use your words, I don't know where YOUR "nonsensical, anti-factual characterizations of PSU's Offense" come from...

Clifford's present 67% completion percentage might be third in the conference but which Clifford will we get from week to week - the 53% passer or the 87% passer? (It is 30th nationally) The offense's 418 YPG is SIXTH in the conference. The team's 30 PPG is SIXTH in the conference. Clifford's YPA is FIFTH in the conference. The offense is FOURTH in YPG passing but ELEVENTH in YPG rushing.

In no way is it "nonsensical" or "anti-factual" to characterize the PSU offense as lacking. The statistics support the offense as a middle of the pack B1G offense and nothing more. It is my belief, and that clearly of others, that the offense needs to get better for this team to have a serious chance at a B1G Championship and/or CFP berth.

It is perfectly reasonable for us as fans to be thrilled and excited that our team is 5-0 but also looking for improvements that we believe will help them become 15-0 before the end of the year.
Exactly right...that guy is such a hack and crushes anyone with a mild criticism of the team...it's an embarrassment

Penalties, and to a lesser degree turnovers, are probably the only stats that say much at this point in the season when comparing teams, as everything else is so much tied to the nature of matchups.

I prefer to use the eye test. It's not hard to see whether throws are good or bad. It's not hard to see whether tackles and blocks are made.

Reactions: Nationalchamps1
Iowa is a good balanced team reminds me of the PSU early 80's teams good base defense, smart QB, good bell cow rb with a decent back up rb, excellent TE, and decent receivers. QB is smart enough to roll out of trouble.
Defense is stout, typical big dl, excellent linebackers and i don't know enough about their secondary.

Joe would play a slug fest mano y mano and usually lose, especially special teams and FG's. James has a different approach, only draw back is the need for chunk plays. Iowa will be favored, PSU has played to the level of their competition this year, we'll see.

Reactions: BBrown and Grass
ADVERTISEMENT