ADVERTISEMENT

Coworker's 8th grader is being recruited....

LionsandBear

Dec 7, 2009
Without revealing too much, he's a national recruit. PSU has already been in touch and is actively recruiting him as much as they are allowed to since he's only in 8th grade. Basically they're just establishing a relationship for future purposes.

Anyway, the purpose of my post was that he said PSU and other schools have been recruiting him on the "up and up" with 1 exception. He said Michigan keeps knowingly violating the rules and keeps trying to make illegal contact. It's to the point that he's considering reporting them. No surprise given Harbaugh's ridiculous recruiting tactics in the past.

Very interested to see where this goes down the line. If he’s being recruited now, imagine he’ll be recruited by all the big boys down the road. If he’s comfortable talking to you about his journey, I’m interested to see how the violations progress as he gets older.

Very interested to see where this goes down the line. If he’s being recruited now, imagine he’ll be recruited by all the big boys down the road. If he’s comfortable talking to you about his journey, I’m interested to see how the violations progress as he gets older.
We hear a lot about how teams X, Y, and Z are thought to be violating rules each year. It would be interesting to hear an honest first hand account from someone going through the process.

If the NCAA cared about the student athlete, they'd ban any and all recruiting of any kind until a kid is in 10th grade
How do you do that? The kid goes to Michigan’s camp in 7th grade and nobody talks to him the entire time?

Without revealing too much, he's a national recruit. PSU has already been in touch and is actively recruiting him as much as they are allowed to since he's only in 8th grade. Basically they're just establishing a relationship for future purposes.

Anyway, the purpose of my post was that he said PSU and other schools have been recruiting him on the "up and up" with 1 exception. He said Michigan keeps knowingly violating the rules and keeps trying to make illegal contact. It's to the point that he's considering reporting them. No surprise given Harbaugh's ridiculous recruiting tactics in the past.

Definitely keep a contact diary. Michigan will eventually offer an impermissible benefit. What these schools do is subtly make an offer to feel out whether or not a recruit is open to the possibility of accepting.

Last edited:
How far would you bend the rules to turn the head of an 8th grader? Common sense would tell me that if I'm committing violations, I'd save them for prospects that are in the process of making a decision.
In the case quoted, if there are violations wouldn't it be an overzealous low level employee? I'm skeptical that Jim Harbaugh is sending cash stuffed gifts to an 8th grader.

Reactions: LionJim
It’s interesting because my impression of Harbaugh is that he does things above board (though creepy with the sleepovers and all).

From my understanding the contact he's had with each staff has been with the recruiting coordinators. Didn't mean to indicate that Harbaugh himself has been contacting the kid illegally, only that Harbaugh has pushed the envelope in the past in regards to recruiting.

Tell your coworker to keep a contact diary, keeping track of the type and length of contact from each recruiter. And if he’s able to get any recordings, more power to him.
and then write a tell all book. he would makes millions!

Tell him to keep an eye out for the Bagman, he'll be showing eventually. ;)

Condolences to the kid for not being a Lion for the West Virginia game. Imagine the sheer joy of being allowed to thump a West Virginia student and not have to have to face legal action.

There is a simple solution to this. Your colleague should tell the Michigan recruiter that if the objectionable contact persists then there is no way in hell that his kid will ever go to Michigan.

Reactions: RickinDayton
There is a simple solution to this. Your colleague should tell the Michigan recruiter that if the objectionable contact persists then there is no way in hell that his kid will ever go to Michigan.

He hates Michigan. Pretty sure it's not happening anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT