ADVERTISEMENT

Covington vs James

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
Did anyone else notice that the banter between Colby Covington and LeBron James made the front page news today? Evidently some other NBA guys also jumped in.

I'm not taking any sides - that's between them. However, it reminds me of an incident that got a lot of message board discussion in the Northwest about 9 years ago.

Covington is definitely not known for his self restraint. During a dual between OSU and Boise State, a dad of one of the Boise State wrestlers was getting pretty animated and verbal towards the OSU wrestlers. When Covington was on the mat, he stopped and flipped the guy off or something similar. I think the ref had to step in and get everyone calmed down. There was a lot of back and forth finger pointing on the message boards depending on which team the person making the post was rooting for.

It would have been interesting to see the outcome if Covington and the guy in the stands had gotten into it. The dad was one tough hombre. He was a former D1 AA in college and had been racking up a lot of medals in the seniors division at national tournaments. I think at that point, he could have held his own against Covington. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and the dual continued to its conclusion.

Covington is talking to a guy that outweighs him by 50 lbs and has the reach of a 7-footer, not to mention one of the greatest athletes on earth. Give LeBron James six months of training and get out of the way, lol

Reactions: Fatmarc
Covington is talking to a guy that outweighs him by 50 lbs and has the reach of a 7-footer, not to mention one of the greatest athletes on earth. Give LeBron James six months of training and get out of the way, lol

Two things. One, never bet against the wrestler. Two, given Lebron's whiny nature, I don't see him doing well against a wrestler.

Now that's funny.

Covington would have him crying 20 seconds into the fight. James is a great BB player, but tough he isn't. He cried when his ankle was hurt and had to be carried like a school kid.

Crying because Lebron accidentally killed him? If Lebron connects with a punch, Covington might actually die. If he gets a hold of him with both hands, Covington might actually die.

This is one of those situations where reach matters. A lot. Even if Covington got on top, and Lebron was still conscious, those big, long levers are going to pull Covington in until it's lights out. Do you know how you take out a pitbull that has a hold of your arm? You pull the arm in, and loop around the back of its neck with your other hand/forearm, and pull in with that arm, too. Then, push out with the hand/arm the dog has in it's mouth...and then snap its neck. Covington would have to get so close to Lebron to connect with his face that his head would be at like mid-forearm distance for Lebron. Lebron's hand, which can easily palm a basketball, would grab his head, pull it in, and smother him. Or just snap his neck.

Crying because Lebron accidentally killed him? If Lebron connects with a punch, Covington might actually die. If he gets a hold of him with both hands, Covington might actually die.

This is one of those situations where reach matters. A lot. Even if Covington got on top, and Lebron was still conscious, those big, long levers are going to pull Covington in until it's lights out. Do you know how you take out a pitbull that has a hold of your arm? You pull the arm in, and loop around the back of its neck with your other hand/forearm, and pull in with that arm, too. Then, push out with the hand/arm the dog has in it's mouth...and then snap its neck. Covington would have to get so close to Lebron to connect with his face that his head would be at like mid-forearm distance for Lebron. Lebron's hand, which can easily palm a basketball, would grab his head, pull it in, and smother him. Or just snap his neck.
Or not.

Reactions: PASLP2

There's just no end to the useful information you get on this message board. Now I know how to kill a pit bull that has latched on to my arm. :rolleyes:

I don't think you have done a whole lot of fighting. Fighting is a skill. Covington is highly skilled. James is not. It would not be close. It is very much like thinking a 7'5" guy would automatically be beating James in hoops.

I don't think you have done a whole lot of fighting. Fighting is a skill. Covington is highly skilled. James is not. It would not be close. It is very much like thinking a 7'5" guy would automatically be beating James in hoops.

The last time I was involved in combat sports, I won the light weight division of a contest held at a military base. Informal sort of thing. I broke one guy's rib, popped another guy's shoulder, and choked out two others.

The last time I got into a violent conflict with another person, that person died. Granted, that was with a firearm, in a faraway land called Afghanistan.

LeBron ain’t some random dude we’re pulling out of an office cubicle. You’d deny he’s bigger, stronger, faster, and more powerful than Covington? I mean, the man runs up and down a basketball court every night and still weighs 250 lbs.

Reactions: jtothemfp
The last time I was involved in combat sports, I won the light weight division of a contest held at a military base. Informal sort of thing. I broke one guy's rib, popped another guy's shoulder, and choked out two others.

The last time I got into a violent conflict with another person, that person died. Granted, that was with a firearm, in a faraway land called Afghanistan.

Hah! That's nothing! Consider yourself lucky. The last time I was in combat, my wife got mad at me and threw a pillow at my head. I ran out of the room and hid behind the kitchen island.

Lately, we've been going to the shooting range a lot and she's getting pretty good with her S&W EZ Slide 9mm. Do you think I try to talk her into another sport?

I got into it w/ some guy on facebook a couple of weeks ago about whether Lebron could hang on the mat with Gable. My position was, no freakin' way if the match was right now. The one thing Lebron has going for him is he knows what kind of sacrifice it takes to make it to the top of your sport. If he were sufficiently motivated, I'm sure he could learn to wrestle from the very best, and be pretty dang good at it. Eventually. He probably couldn't even score a freestyle match right now, so I'm going to go w/ the huge athletic guy who actually knows what he is doing.

Holy hell this thread is wayyyy more interesting than I'd thought it would be! Well done, team!

I was expecting a stream of trash takes about Covington's trash racism and trash humanity, but instead? A freakin gold mine of one of my fave things on the internet: the cross-discipline hypothetical!

When I lived in Australia in 91, the college aired 1 NFL game a week and it was immensely popular. Kids were asking a thousand questions, and I had a lot of fun explaining the rules mostly, and some strategy. Similarly, the Rugby World Cup was going on and despite having gone to tons of my ole man's matches growing up, I was super rusty on the rules and the flow. Of all the fun discourse we engaged in around comparison of the two sports and just sports fun in general, the most fun were hypotheticals about which athletes would be most able to perform well in the other sport. In Rugby, almost everyone is a great open-field tackler, but there are a ton of American Football positions where that skill is not even important. So, mostly, I'd talk up the Linebackers as probably most able to convert to rugby.

I've loved all these takes about Lebron & Covington. I typically land on the side of Skill beats Athleticism, especially in submission sports. There's a ton of appeal to me in Lebron just going wac a mole on Covington's head with the acknowledged long reach, or landing a clean KO punch to his face, but those long limbs would make an extremely easy target for any number of ankle locks, heel hooks, wrist locks or arm bars.

I'll take the trash human over Lebron in a probably quick and ultimately extremely unsatisfying submission.

Holy hell this thread is wayyyy more interesting than I'd thought it would be! Well done, team!

I was expecting a stream of trash takes about Covington's trash racism and trash humanity, but instead? A freakin gold mine of one of my fave things on the internet: the cross-discipline hypothetical!

When I lived in Australia in 91, the college aired 1 NFL game a week and it was immensely popular. Kids were asking a thousand questions, and I had a lot of fun explaining the rules mostly, and some strategy. Similarly, the Rugby World Cup was going on and despite having gone to tons of my ole man's matches growing up, I was super rusty on the rules and the flow. Of all the fun discourse we engaged in around comparison of the two sports and just sports fun in general, the most fun were hypotheticals about which athletes would be most able to perform well in the other sport. In Rugby, almost everyone is a great open-field tackler, but there are a ton of American Football positions where that skill is not even important. So, mostly, I'd talk up the Linebackers as probably most able to convert to rugby.

I've loved all these takes about Lebron & Covington. I typically land on the side of Skill beats Athleticism, especially in submission sports. There's a ton of appeal to me in Lebron just going wac a mole on Covington's head with the acknowledged long reach, or landing a clean KO punch to his face, but those long limbs would make an extremely easy target for any number of ankle locks, heel hooks, wrist locks or arm bars.

I'll take the trash human over Lebron in a probably quick and ultimately extremely unsatisfying submission.

If the fight happened today, Covington probably wins, but give LeBron a few months of serious training and it’s a different story. There are weight classes for a reason, and it wouldn’t take much for him to weigh in at 280-plus.

If the fight happened today, Covington probably wins, but give LeBron a few months of serious training and it’s a different story. There are weight classes for a reason, and it wouldn’t take much for him to weigh in at 280-plus.

I tried to stay away from estimating how long it would take Lebron to learn enough to protect himself against this laundry list of submissions he (and all of us, really) is vulnerable to: https://www.winorlearnbjj.com/jiu-jitsu-submission-list/

But I agree about the Size+Athleticism growing as an advantage, the more the Skill vs Skill gap diminishes.

I tried to stay away from estimating how long it would take Lebron to learn enough to protect himself against this laundry list of submissions he (and all of us, really) is vulnerable to: https://www.winorlearnbjj.com/jiu-jitsu-submission-list/

But I agree about the Size+Athleticism growing as an advantage, the more the Skill vs Skill gap diminishes.

Let’s also remember that Covington doesn’t know every submission, just like most wrestlers don’t knowevery wrestling move.

I think LeBron could keep Covington at bay with just kicks. A few kicks from a 280 lb LeBron would probably take a heavy toll on even a 200 lb Covington.

Some of you guys need to stop wearing masks 24/7... you show signs of hypoxia.

The last time an NBA great tried another sport.

Michael Jordan and baseball.

Jordan didn’t make the majors but he wasn’t awful. Speaking of Jordan, check out “The Last Dance” if you haven’t already.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
We will never know. Do you think James could throw a baseball over 100mph with a few months of training? How about out kick a small nfl kicker after a few weeks? Skill is extremely important in fighting. Understanding body awareness while in combat takes years not months. I'm not a big fan of Covington or especially that ass hat McGreggor but those guys can fight. Even a great wrestler like Bo will really have to adjust to the fighting sport. It is a skill sport. Often your own power is used against you.

Jordan didn’t make the majors but he wasn’t awful. Speaking of Jordan, check out “The Last Dance” if you haven’t already.

I didn't say he was terrible (whatever your definition of that is). The point is superior skills in one sport don't necessarily translate to something else.

The late Carlton Haselrig would have made your case better.

Jordan:

In 1994, Jordan played for the Birmingham Barons, a Double-A minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox, batting .202 with three home runs, 51 runs batted in, 30 stolen bases, 114 strikeouts, 51 bases on balls, and 11 errors.

Meh.

None of that sounds like an accident.

I didn't say he was terrible (whatever your definition of that is). The point is superior skills in one sport don't necessarily translate to something else.

The late Carlton Haselrig would have made your case better.

Jordan:

In 1994, Jordan played for the Birmingham Barons, a Double-A minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox, batting .202 with three home runs, 51 runs batted in, 30 stolen bases, 114 strikeouts, 51 bases on balls, and 11 errors.

Meh.

We ain’t talking the number one golfer in the world trying MMA.

“He would have an unfathomable physical advantage over someone who would have an unfathomable physical advantage over you”

“At 14 years old he was 6’ 4” 230lbs and the best player in the country”

LOL

I'd love to see Lebron pick Colby up by the neck and repeatedly smash his face into the fence. Finish the job that Usman started.

I don’t care about his politics. He’s just a trash human being.
I don't have twitter and haven't read the story. The usman fight was very close until the end in the fifth. While Covington was fighting with a broken jaw.
Lebron would be on his ass before he could touch his neck lol.
Used to be s huge lebron fan. He even said in the past that politics don't belong in sports but now I'm still a fan but meh. The NBA is god awful to watch and has been in awhile.

Oh and I would take this particular college wrestle over some old guy. Now if you had said the old guy was an ex boxer then maybe I'd change my pick since maybe he could catch and untrained wrestler coming in lol.
Covington's media persona is boring. He tried to be like Conor and he can't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT