ADVERTISEMENT

Covid

I have a friend ( age 45) who has been hospitalized sine November 30. No underlying condition that I aware. He also contracted ammonia. Has not been on a ventilator, but has been receiving oxygen to get his levels up. Making progress but slowly.

really firs person I know personally that is really struggling from it. Other have recovered after experiencing the traditional symptoms.

Reactions: TheGLOV
A 76 year old friend sent me a Facebook message about a week ago. He was in good health and looking forward to Christmas. A couple days later he tested positive. Two days later he was gone. It is puzzling how this virus effects people in such different ways.

Co-worker's wife is an RN in nursing home and his daughter is an RN at Johns Hopkins, both tested positive. Then co-worker tested positive. Both wife and daughter had mild symptoms and recovered quickly. Co-worker caught it and was out 8 weeks, he said wife came home one day and thought he was dead. He is 55 but has recovered and back to work. Don't phuck with this!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Know someone whom is a retail construction supply manager. Early this year , had it didnt know it visited parents and they both got it and died . They still don't wear masks in his shop. For real had a friend and his kid get BRUTALLY mauled by Griz bear ......only to get covid 2 weeks later. Said the virus felt like it just trying to find ways to kill him . He's very intelligent and said you don't want to get it. Ear to ground , know many local and national hospital workers . Have a best buddy on front line in Texas border town, went through swine flu etc...... He has seen the real $#!t and lost coworkers. As I get gas watch lots of people go into convenience stores without masks (covid resisters ?) and the home depo locally. The lessor educated one is it seems the more one 'knows' in this 'murica

So I just found out that one of best friends has Covid and is in the hospital. So is his sister and her husband. This is the first person that I know to come down with it. Anyone else have a friend or a relative that has battled this? It doesn't need said but we need to take this sh*t seriously.

Yes multiple relatives and friends now. A relative was put in ICU on Monday.

Sister in law had it early 50 ish age. Severely obese took a solid 3 weeks to recover. Her family never showed symptoms. A bunch of 20-30 year olds that a know had it, no real issues, worst cases felt bad for a couple of days.

Father had Alzheimer’s, diagnosed on a Thursday, gone following Tuesday. Never got to see him in the hospital. Died alone, but because he had Alzheimer’s, he never really knew how sick he was or how alone he was. Sister is an ICU nurse and said she has heard of many cases about people with Alzheimer’s or dementia (honestly no idea what the difference is) that have gotten very sick and or died quickly.
She said things are better now in at least they have protocols about treatment and how they do their jobs, but no silver bullet to save everyone. She said she can usually tell by day 3 if someone is in real trouble. She has seen people go quick and others be in for weeks and get out. As others have said, really shitty unpredictable virus. She got the vaccine yesterday so that was good.

Reactions: katchthis
So I just found out that one of best friends has Covid and is in the hospital. So is his sister and her husband. This is the first person that I know to come down with it. Anyone else have a friend or a relative that has battled this? It doesn't need said but we need to take this sh*t seriously.
I had it. I caught it at the gym on either the day before or the day after Thanksgiving. All the symptoms I had were minor. I believe everyone that caught it from the gym outbreak are pretty much back to normal now. Taste and smell just came back last Suday. My son that is 12 goes to the gym with me didn't get it. When I started to show symptoms my wife figured that it was to late for us to quarantine separately and assumed that she would've already got it from me. She didn't get it either somehow.
We live in a rural area so getting outside and going for walks in the cool winter air felt great on the lungs. I tried to workout at home while I had it and that didn't go so well. I got dizzy and lungs were on fire. The dizziness only lasted a couple days. I'm back in the gym now. A little weaker than before and lungs still burn with cardio but it's getting better with every workout.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Father had Alzheimer’s, diagnosed on a Thursday, gone following Tuesday. Never got to see him in the hospital. Died alone, but because he had Alzheimer’s, he never really knew how sick he was or how alone he was. Sister is an ICU nurse and said she has heard of many cases about people with Alzheimer’s or dementia (honestly no idea what the difference is) that have gotten very sick and or died quickly.
She said things are better now in at least they have protocols about treatment and how they do their jobs, but no silver bullet to save everyone. She said she can usually tell by day 3 if someone is in real trouble. She has seen people go quick and others be in for weeks and get out. As others have said, really shitty unpredictable virus. She got the vaccine yesterday so that was good.
Condolences.
Hope you and your sister stay safe.

Reactions: colby57
Know someone whom is a retail construction supply manager. Early this year , had it didnt know it visited parents and they both got it and died . They still don't wear masks in his shop. For real had a friend and his kid get BRUTALLY mauled by Griz bear ......only to get covid 2 weeks later. Said the virus felt like it just trying to find ways to kill him . He's very intelligent and said you don't want to get it. Ear to ground , know many local and national hospital workers . Have a best buddy on front line in Texas border town, went through swine flu etc...... He has seen the real $#!t and lost coworkers. As I get gas watch lots of people go into convenience stores without masks (covid resisters ?) and the home depo locally. The lessor educated one is it seems the more one 'knows' in this 'murica
Then a lot of the blame is on the convenience stores and Home Depot....good luck trying to go into any store where I live....you won’t get served. I haven’t seen a person without a mask in months.

Reactions: MontereyLion
Not to make light of this in the least bit but I almost feel like everyday I wake up I've felt symptoms since this all started. I've had anxiety issues in the past but hadn't had a panic attack in a few years till all this. I expect I'm not the only one

Reactions: gamblepsu
Then a lot of the blame is on the convenience stores and Home Depot....good luck trying to go into any store where I live....you won’t get served. I haven’t seen a person without a mask in months.
Very hit or miss here. Some places like Costco I can hear them on the radios about people not wearing masks properly and to get the to or leave. Then you have the small grocery store in the boonies that’s only 50% mask (Amish and Mennonite are for the most part non mask wearing), or the small family owned shops where I’m the only one with one on....

Not to make light of this in the least bit but I almost feel like everyday I wake up I've felt symptoms since this all started. I've had anxiety issues in the past but hadn't had a panic attack in a few years till all this. I expect I'm not the only one
I hear that. I was very the same at the start. Then honestly I stopped reading too much about it. I will say only having a small stuffy nose once since March has been nice. The other things not so much.

Because the vaccines are causing serious side effects for those with allergies.

Only the Pfizer vaccine is showing side effects for those with certain food allergies.

Actually, it is. Some areas are reporting being down as much as 98%....other areas not that high, but everywhere the seasonal flu cases are down (my 90% number was said jokingly)....so I’m thinking many of the “Covid” cases are actually the flu and they’re false positives for Covid....that’s all I’m saying.

And you would be wrong, but nothing wrong with doubling down on your uninformed idiotic thought process.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I know a lot of people who have it, have had it, a few have died, a few have recovered, but many have long lasting effects from it.

Only the Pfizer vaccine is showing side effects for those with certain food allergies.

And you would be wrong, but nothing wrong with doubling down on your uninformed idiotic thought process.

“By this time in December last year, we had diagnosed over 100 flu cases in our laboratory. This year we have had none,” Landry said.

It’s thought that flu transmission has been suppressed by the precautions in place for COVID-19.

Reactions: bison13 and AWS1022
I am in healthcare leadership and have seen this beast firsthand. It really bothers me when people minimize the pandemic, even family and friends. This virus loves to spread during inside gatherings between different households and that is the problem right now in the U.S. My family and I only have done outdoor socially distanced gatherings in the summer and otherwise have been hermits socially since. I fortunately have not knowingly had covid despite being around it since March, but it is possible that perhaps I had it asymptotically at some point. I doubt it, though, as I have been remarkably healthy and symptom free, or maybe I am just lucky.I have been a fanatic about supplementation since march - particularly zinc and vitamin c. It is just easy to cheat and get airborne but the taste is too tough to take over a long period of time so you have to change up supplements periodically. Some in their 50s die and I have seen many in their 90s and one over 100 wih just mild symptoms and recover quick. It is just an unprecedented and largely not understood virus.

You might want to read or watch something besides CNN....it might help, but you can keep doubling down on your idiotic thought process.

Son 19 had it at college and was sick for about a day. Exceptional physical condition though.
My Uncle age 89 died from it.
A friend and coaching colleague in his late 40s died from it.
Numerous other coworkers, friends, relatives and acquaintances have had with symptoms ranging from very very mild to three that were hospitalized.
Miraculously I have somehow avoided it even though I have worked 40 plus hours a week since it started. With some pre-existing conditions I feel like a ticking time bomb but I just forge ahead and control what I can control.
I did have a strange 11 day dry cough and some loss of taste in February so I guess there is an outside chance I already had it.

One of my former players and an AD I work with, both early 50s....got pretty sick , but thankfully recovered. 3 friends 2 in their 60s and one in his 70s have passed away.

The most significant reactions we have seen thus far in the US approved vaccines have been allergic, and a few of them resulted in anaphylaxis.
If you compare the rate of this sort of reaction in people vaccinated versus the rate of serious COVID among the infected, as well as the morbidity and mortality from this virus, avoiding the vaccine does not appear to be a probability - based decision at this time.
The other things to consider are that allergic reactions are easier to treat than most COVID cases that require hospitalization, and the allergic person still ends up with some level of immunity in the exchange.
Thanks for the background, it would be helpful to quantitatively discuss "rates" and "probability" if you can and source it. This is how better decisions are made.

For example, my best estimate counting the number of deaths and known positives reported in this thread is approximately 35 deaths of 220 known positives with probably over half spending time in the hospital for it. This is an estimate based on many using the terms "a few" which I took to be 3 or 4 and the like.

Anyway, 35 of 220 is a death rate of 16%. Below are the CDC's published survivability rates.

Ages 0-19: 99.997%
Ages 20-49: 99.98%
Ages 50-69: 99.5%
Ages 70+: 94.6%

So as you can see, our board's known cases represent about 3 times higher death rate than the 70+ age category as reported by the CDC and about 32 times higher than the 50 - 69 age group that appears to be aligned with the average of the deaths reported here in this thread.

Now I wouldn't individually say anyone here is making things up and I am very sorry for any and all of the losses anyone may have experienced. But it is clear that our collective reporting of deaths and cases on this board of about 32 times higher death rate than the CDC reports for our average age of death reported is not highly probable. My guess is that many of us have been told anecdotal stories and we simply believe them because we have no real reason not to believe them. Except that in the aggregate, our reports are of a death rate 32 times higher than the CDC is reporting. If we are willing to believe that then perhaps we may also believe it's punishment on the Penn State community for Sandusky's crimes.

Reactions: bison13
Now I wouldn't individually say anyone here is making things up and I am very sorry for any and all of the losses anyone may have experienced. But it is clear that our collective reporting of deaths and cases on this board of about 32 times higher death rate than the CDC reports for our average age of death reported is not highly probable. My guess is that many of us have been told anecdotal stories and we simply believe them because we have no real reason not to believe them. Except that in the aggregate, our reports are of a death rate 32 times higher than the CDC is reporting. If we are willing to believe that then perhaps we may also believe it's punishment on the Penn State community for Sandusky's crimes.

Aside from the significantly unscientific manner of your survey, have you considered that maybe......just maybe......that many of the cases people are reporting here only come to their attention because they're bad? As such, the asymptomatic cases and those that show only mild symptoms may not come to our attention?

Of course we're going to become aware of a relative or a friend-of-a-friend getting COVID if they get hospitalized or die.

We may not be aware if a friend-of-a-friend or a former client or a distant uncle gets COVID in a very mild or unnoticeable way.

Right?

I suspect nobody here is making anything up or passing along bad information.

Aside from the significantly unscientific manner of your survey, have you considered that maybe......just maybe......that many of the cases people are reporting here only come to their attention because they're bad? As such, the asymptomatic cases and those that show only mild symptoms may not come to our attention?

Of course we're going to become aware of a relative or a friend-of-a-friend getting COVID if they get hospitalized or die.

We may not be aware if a friend-of-a-friend or a former client or a distant uncle gets COVID in a very mild or unnoticeable way.

Right?

I suspect nobody here is making anything up or passing along bad information.
I did not say anyone is making anything up. In fact, I expressly said that I wasn't saying that. But clearly in the aggregate, we are passing along bad information if the sum of our postings has a death rate that is 32 times higher than the CDC reports for the average age group being discussed. Reading the thread leads to a 32 times higher perception of the death rate without some stepping back to think rationally about it.

One might read the thread and allow it to feed into anxiety and 32 times overstated fear if they didn't analyze the information relative to the CDC's comprehensive reports. Some may falsely be lead to believe that the virus has about a 16% death rate. I'm merely using the data available to us to show that a 16% death rate that they are reading in this thread is not reality.

I did not say anyone is making anything up. In fact, I expressly said that I wasn't saying that. But clearly in the aggregate, we are passing along bad information if the sum of our postings has a death rate that is 32 times higher than the CDC reports for the average age group being discussed. Reading the thread leads to a 32 times higher perception of the death rate without some stepping back to think rationally about it.

One might read the thread and allow it to feed into anxiety and 32 times overstated fear if they didn't analyze the information relative to the CDC's comprehensive reports. Some may falsely be lead to believe that the virus has about a 16% death rate. I'm merely using the data available to us to show that a 16% death rate that they are reading in this thread is not reality.
I’m not sure about the percentages, but by reading this thread you would think that everybody that anybody ever knew is getting Covid and are dropping dead like flies. I’m wondering how many of those that have or got Covid actually just think they did and never got tested or got a false positive on a test.

You might want to read or watch something besides CNN....it might help, but you can keep doubling down on your idiotic thought process.
I have never watched CNN, read anything on their website, or MSNBC, CSPAN, etc.

My wife works at NIAID and has been on many clinical trial audits, so I know perfectly well how COVID is impacting many people. This isn't just attacking the lungs. It is attacking the liver, kidney, pancreas, etc.

I have friends who had it from April till October and are still struggling with the side effects. My father is in the ICU fighting it.

So take your drivel and shove it up your ignorant, uninformed ass.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I’m not sure about the percentages, but by reading this thread you would think that everybody that anybody ever knew is getting Covid and are dropping dead like flies. I’m wondering how many of those that have or got Covid actually just think they did and never got tested or got a false positive on a test.
Well, I took the time to count the cases and deaths in this thread with best estimates for unclear words like "several" or "a few" so I can say with fairly high degree of certainty that our segment of the population which one might think as at least average intelligence is clearly way over-estimating the mortality rate from anecdotal stories we have heard.

Thanks for the background, it would be helpful to quantitatively discuss "rates" and "probability" if you can and source it. This is how better decisions are made.

For example, my best estimate counting the number of deaths and known positives reported in this thread is approximately 35 deaths of 220 known positives with probably over half spending time in the hospital for it. This is an estimate based on many using the terms "a few" which I took to be 3 or 4 and the like.

Anyway, 35 of 220 is a death rate of 16%. Below are the CDC's published survivability rates.

So as you can see, our board's known cases represent about 3 times higher death rate than the 70+ age category as reported by the CDC and about 32 times higher than the 50 - 69 age group that appears to be aligned with the average of the deaths reported here in this thread.

I can help make your data more believable. I reported one covid case, my gf, because she is the one closest to me. If I counted all the people I know who have had it the number is somewhere between 25 and 30. None are dead.

My wife works at NIAID and has been on many clinical trial audits, so I know perfectly well how COVID is impacting many people. This isn't just attacking the lungs. It is attacking the liver, kidney, pancreas, etc.

I have friends who had it from April till October and are still struggling with the side effects. My father is in the ICU fighting it.

I hope your father and those you know fighting it are doing well. My wife managed clinical trials and knows many, many people in the industry as well. None of this negates that the CDC's published survivability rates are as follows.

The anecdotal stories in this thread represent over 30 times the expected death rate as the CDC reports. Reasonable people will go with the CDC on this one over the sum of posts from a football message.

Does your wife tell you that seasonal flu numbers aren’t down since Covid? If so, the she’s no smarter than you.

I can help make your data more believable. I reported one covid case, my gf, because she is the one closest to me. If I counted all the people I know who have had it the number is somewhere between 25 and 30. None are dead.
If I counted all the people I know who have had it (and all the people they know) it would be one, so there’s that.

It isn't my number, it is the estimate from all of your posts. So if you all did not disclose accurate information, well, that is the point. We were grossly over-estimating the death rate with our posts and you are confirming this.

Seeing as COVID coded deaths are about 1 in 10 deaths for 2020 then you likely know somewhere on the order of 10 people who died from other causes this year. And you likely knew on the order of 10 people who died last year and the year before and the year before that. I am sorry for all of those losses by all causes.

Please stop. It’s embarrassing.

If I get it and spread it to someone in a store and they in turn give it to someone with a preexisting condition who pays 4500 a day to stay alive or dies I’m part of the tragedy. It’s that simple. Easy to understand.

So spout all the flu sht and deflection you want but you are wrong. Simple as that and I told you so when this thing got started last spring. With all due respect, stfu about CNN or any other nonsensical boogeymen.

“By this time in December last year, we had diagnosed over 100 flu cases in our laboratory. This year we have had none,” Landry said.

It’s thought that flu transmission has been suppressed by the precautions in place for COVID-19.
Yet somehow unless we have 100% mask compliance we are reminded this is why covid is runs rampant.

Reactions: bison13
Please stop. It’s embarrassing.

If I get it and spread it to someone in a store and they in turn give it to someone with a preexisting condition who pays 4500 a day to stay alive or dies I’m part of the tragedy. It’s that simple. Easy to understand.

So spout all the flu sht and deflection you want but you are wrong. Simple as that and I told you so when this thing got started last spring. With all due respect, stfu about CNN or any other nonsensical boogeymen.
So please show me where seasonal flu cases are not down since Covid....I’ll wait.

Mom 80 had it with no problem other than slight cough , son 21 had it at college with mild fever for a day. No one else in their homes caught it. Found out friend has had it for two weeks pretty severely. He is 50ish in good health. Definitely strange

This thread is sobering and scary. My condolences to all those who've lost family or friends...or have seen lives, their own or others, turned upside down.

To me, the whole thing has a slightly surreal feel to it. I see the reports on this second wave of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths. Yet life goes on, and my sense is that more and more people are now saying screw it, we can't live this way, we'll take our chances.

It's not the masks. Most people are on board with that. Social distancing too. But when the authorities go back to lockdowns, shutdowns, and making rules on how many family members can gather for Christmas, the effect is counterproductive...the opposite of the supposed objectives.

Personally, I know three friends and have one elderly aunt who got sick. The aunt is still fighting the virus while the three friends recovered, two of them after only mild symptoms.

In our immediate family of six kids, their spouses, and their families (totaling 23 children), nobody has gotten COVID...to our (or their) knowledge. In fact, my wife and I decided back in May to resume normal interaction with all of them and have done so to this day.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all worried...nor do I kid myself about the risk. But I do take comfort from a passage in Matthew's Gospel: Not a sparrow falls to the ground apart from the Father's will.

This thread is sobering and scary. My condolences to all those who've lost family or friends...or have seen lives, their own or others, turned upside down.

To me, the whole thing has a slightly surreal feel to it. I see the reports on this second wave of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths. Yet life goes on, and my sense is that more and more people are now saying screw it, we can't live this way, we'll take our chances.

It's not the masks. Most people are on board with that. Social distancing too. But when the authorities go back to lockdowns, shutdowns, and making rules on how many family members can gather for Christmas, the effect is counterproductive...the opposite of the supposed objectives.

Personally, I know three friends and have one elderly aunt who got sick. The aunt is still fighting the virus while the three friends recovered, two of them after only mild symptoms.

In our immediate family of six kids, their spouses, and their families (totaling 23 children), nobody has gotten COVID...to our (or their) knowledge. In fact, my wife and I decided back in May to resume normal interaction with all of them and have done so to this day.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all worried...nor do I kid myself about the risk. But I do take comfort from a passage in Matthew's Gospel: Not a sparrow falls to the ground apart from the Father's will.
Yes, the blame game is getting tiresome. It’s not the masks....where I live, everyone wears masks, you can’t go into stores if you don’t. The mask mandate has been in effect for a long time and the numbers still skyrocketed. The blame game is just an easy way out. Like you and your wife, my wife and I decided a while back just to live life and try to be careful, but we will not hide away. I only know one person who has gotten the virus and that’s just recently and he lives a long way from me.

Yes, the blame game is getting tiresome. It’s not the masks....where I live, everyone wears masks, you can’t go into stores if you don’t. The mask mandate has been in effect for a long time and the numbers still skyrocketed. The blame game is just an easy way out. Like you and your wife, my wife and I decided a while back just to live life and try to be careful, but we will not hide away. I only know one person who has gotten the virus and that’s just recently and he lives a long way from me.
where do you live?
and do you not think the covid measures most are following contributes to less flu transmission?

So please show me where seasonal flu cases are not down since Covid....I’ll wait.
You aren’t interested in the flu. You can pout and cry and stomp your feet but the fact remains we are all dependent on one another. Love you or hate you, I go to war for you. I pay taxes for you. I’m in a pandemic, so are you. The amount of nonsense about who is sick or with what and what the numbers are is utter nonsense. Stop blaming cnn or anyone else. Solve the problem with your fellow Americans.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
where do you live?
and do you not think the covid measures most are following contributes to less flu transmission?
To some extent, but that doesn’t explain the decline in cancer deaths, heart attack deaths, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT