ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

khmj7penjkh51.jpg

Here's one from one of our homers Penn State professor Akhil Kuma.

Study Published On NIH Website Finds 'No Discernable Relationship' Between Vaccine Status And COVID Cases, Says Infection Rate May Be Higher Among Fully Vaccinated - National File

Another from Harvard medical school educated Fla surgeon general. Starting at minute 31.

I hope you do understand that....no matter where they graduated from.......or how many degrees and accolades they might have...........when it comes to climbing the political ladder........their actual beliefs.....on all sides of the isle......often take a back seat to their on camera stated "Beliefs" Sadly....Fact :(

I hope you do understand that....no matter where they graduated from.......or how many degrees and accolades they might have...........when it comes to climbing the political ladder........their actual beliefs.....on all sides of the isle......often take a back seat to their on camera stated "Beliefs" Sadly....Fact :(
Some are actually honest, problem is it can be hard to figure out who is being honest due to the duplicity of the so called experts and the media. That is why trust in institutions is failing.

Fauci is the epitome of climbing the political ladder.

Reactions: PASLP2

Another reply that completely ignored the content of what he said and why. That said I agree with your general premise.

A huge problem on today's world - there are far too many smart, well educated people, who nearly completely lack any sense of wisdom. Intelligence, credentials, and wisdom a far from the same, and as a society, the latter is disappearing at an alarming rate.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Another reply that completely ignored the content of what he said and why. That said I agree with your general premise.

A huge problem on today's world - there are far too many smart, well educated people, who nearly completely lack any sense of wisdom. Intelligence, credentials, and wisdom a far from the same, and as a society, the latter is disappearing at an alarming rate.
Remember that saying from the 60's "Question Authority?". The teens of the 60's apparently do not like that mantra being used against them.

Some general advice, do your own research, think for yourself and ask questions. That is how we all learn. Science is all about asking questions and challenging positions. If not, we would still think the earth is flat. Look at Alexander Fleming and Ignaz Semmelweis.

By this point, it is quite clear that Fauci and his friends should be taken with a grain of salt since they have constantly been wrong. Had they been ignored, we may not have any less covid deaths but we should would not have had the deep divides in society that we are seeing today.

The last 18 months, they really should have pushed the Vitamin C and D, eat good food, lose weight, exercise, get outside and get good sleep. That is good advice for healthier living and better quality of life. Best advice, if you are sick, stay home.

That is true, and it’s why whenever someone posts a clip of someone saying something as their evidence I just ignore and roll my eyes. Give me the studies or the data or gtfo. What one doctor or person says couldn’t be more meaningless.

Here's one from one of our homers Penn State professor Akhil Kuma.

Study Published On NIH Website Finds 'No Discernable Relationship' Between Vaccine Status And COVID Cases, Says Infection Rate May Be Higher Among Fully Vaccinated - National File
This Akhil Kumar isn’t a PSU professor, he’s a Canadian high school student - https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7

Also, this “study” is kinda pointless. Comparing cases between countries and even US counties that could test vastly different amounts of people doesn’t tell you much. Not to mention it seems like they’re comparing counties with no regard for population density, urban vs rural etc.

Unfortunately, these days it seems “doing your own research” amounts to people sharing headlines without actually reading what they’re sharing...

Reactions: Dogwelder
This Akhil Kumar isn’t a PSU professor, he’s a Canadian high school student - https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7

Also, this “study” is kinda pointless. Comparing cases between countries and even US counties that could test vastly different amounts of people doesn’t tell you much. Not to mention it seems like they’re comparing counties with no regard for population density, urban vs rural etc.

Unfortunately, these days it seems “doing your own research” amounts to people sharing headlines without actually reading what they’re sharing...
I was told early in this thread that all of the country data was being reported 100% identically.

This whole “do your own research” (DYOR) idea requires skill and taste to apply because there are not enough hours in anyone’s day or anyone’s lifetime to self-research everything. What is the speed of sound? Nope. Can’t look it up. Have to measure it yourself. Are wild mushrooms truly likely to be poisonous? Or is The Man trying to deprive us of freedom to eat? Can’t look it up. Have to conduct our own animal tests.

In short, DYOR has its limits. An unscrupulous or unintelligent provocateur can abuse the DYOR idea by wasting it on every f#%*ing thing and bringing intelligent conversation and intelligent thought to their knees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
This whole “do your own research” (DYOR) idea requires skill and taste to apply because there are not enough hours in anyone’s day or anyone’s lifetime to self-research everything. What is the speed of sound? Nope. Can’t look it up. Have to measure it yourself. Are wild mushrooms truly likely to be poisonous? Or is The Man trying to deprive us of freedom to eat? Can’t look it up. Have to conduct our own animal tests.

In short, DYOR has its limits. An unscrupulous or unintelligent provocateur can abuse the DYOR idea by wasting it on every f#%*ing thing and bringing intelligent conversation and intelligent thought to its knees.
I've also learned that people (especially older people with poor internet literacy, no offense to those on the forum) are REALLY bad at evaluating sources. I've seen so many links to articles people think are coming from reliable, vetted sources that are clearly propaganda. For example, I saw someone recently link to a website that they thought was the official government reporting site for vaccine side effects, but it was actually a website started by a covid denier who chose a name really close to that website to give it false credibility.

It's hard to do your own research when you can't tell which information is reliable and which isn't.

Good debunking of the above “study” -

• Haha
… Fauci and his friends … have constantly been wrong …

… they really should have pushed the Vitamin C and D, eat good food, lose weight, exercise, get outside and get good sleep … Best advice, if you are sick, stay home.
Wow! Right! Let’s hire some yoga moms to run the NIH and CDC, and fire all the scientists, because yoga moms know how to say “eat good food”! COVID-19 solved! Good thing you did your own research and came up with this!

Last edited:
Reactions: RB-Old
Been away from this thread/site for a while. Have a question that is relevant for this thread on this board in particular. Not sure if it was discussed some pages back but didn't see it in that last 5 or so. If it was dead and buried already I apologize and will crawl back in my cave.

Purely theoretically (of course) would you support a PSU player or coach who was opposed to vaccine mandates, and either refused to vax or refused to reveal his/her vax status to the University?

For the record, I would. Whoever it is.

Asking for a friend.
Yes

would you support a PSU player or coach who was opposed to vaccine mandates, and either refused to vax or refused to reveal his/her vax status to the University?
Not sure what was meant by "support."

I would respect their conscious decision and acceptance of any consequence, even as I might not understand. I don't believe I would be in any position to question the particular value system that they're employing. I would hope the value they're preserving is worthwhile.

I wouldn't be protesting, signing a petition, or reaching out to them in any way.

At most they would be in my silent thoughts and prayers, wishing them a good life. So that's "support," I guess.

I would think it unfortunate. Alas, an organization establishes its own value system. If the individual's value system no longer comports with their organization's then I believe it's likely best for all parties to go separate ways.

I work for the federal government, so I am actually rather than hypothetically impacted by the vaccine mandate. I am also represented by a union. My union doesn't fight the mandate as a whole. It only seek clarifications on exceptions for medical or religious reasons. But to my knowledge, all major religions have no religious position that is anti-vaccine.

I also have an unvaccinated aunt in her 80s in PA, and an unvaccinated 30ish year old nephew in AZ. I know why they aren't vaccinated. They are first and foremost in my thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: Ski
There is often complaint that the news media too often say things that are not true and therefore are doing harm.

What is news media? As people even including ourselves reach bigger and bigger audiences via social media such as BWI, and we post and repost information and analyses about news, then we become amateur news media.

From what I see in this thread, we in the amateur news media spread a lot of utterly embarrassing falsehoods. And yet we people who spread the garbage never apologize, and never acknowledge the irony that we awful amateur news media are criticizing the pro news media for doing the garbage we do (, and they do it far less egregiously and far less usually than we).

Our “Vantablack calling the grey black” is even worse than a YMCA baller criticizing an NBA baller because whereas the YMCA baller lacks NBA-level talent, we don’t really need rare talent to refrain from spreading garbage.

Last edited:
Been away from this thread/site for a while. Have a question that is relevant for this thread on this board in particular. Not sure if it was discussed some pages back but didn't see it in that last 5 or so. If it was dead and buried already I apologize and will crawl back in my cave.

Purely theoretically (of course) would you support a PSU player or coach who was opposed to vaccine mandates, and either refused to vax or refused to reveal his/her vax status to the University?

For the record, I would. Whoever it is.

Asking for a friend.
Yes

I know, I know, more cherry picking, anecdotal, unscientific BS! I tend to agree and am Vaxed, but this stuff is not only suppressed it is ignored. Too bad is it friggin everywhere except in the mainstream. I personally know three nurses who are saying similar things. I know several hospital major healthcare provider senior business & HR personnel who say the opposite. Whatever you want to believe there is a chasm between the top in administration and the bottom patient-facing workers.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and Ski
I know, I know, more cherry picking, anecdotal, unscientific BS! I tend to agree and am Vaxed, but this stuff is not only suppressed it is ignored. Too bad is it friggin everywhere except in the mainstream. I personally know three nurses who are saying similar things. I know several hospital major healthcare provider senior business & HR personnel who say the opposite. Whatever you want to believe there is a chasm between the top in administration and the bottom patient-facing workers.

Upper management doesn't know $hit about what actually happens in the hospital! I lost 14 years employment in a healthcare environment when the company I worked for was bought out by a Large healthcare network. I was Told IT doesn't make the hospital $ so they dont put money into the staff like they do for Dr's and Nurses... If it wasn't for IT the hospital's would be screwed in today's world

Reactions: Dogwelder and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT