ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

For the U.S. military, coronavirus vaccination is akin to body armor​

Vaccine requirements for U.S. troops have existed for centuries — and for good reason

In 1775, smallpox and the British army both threatened the Continental Army. In danger from the British, civilians fled Boston in the middle of a smallpox epidemic and intermingled with Continental troops, putting them at risk. The soldiers, in turn, used a 70-year-old remedy, inoculation, to get immunity through a milder form of the disease. The Continental Army’s commander, George Washington, had opposed this practice. Washington had barely survived smallpox he contracted in Barbados when he was a young man, and he feared the disease would render the army ineffective.
Washington initially opposed the practice but when more soldiers were dying from smallpox than in battle with the British.... Washington made a complete reversal and ordered his entire army to be inoculated. That was back when math and your own eyes determined decision-making and not Russians trolling misinformation on the internet
That said......can you imagine if the British trolled like today's "experts"? :
ATTENTION REVOLUTIONARIES: Medical experts from across the world have proven that the So-Called Smallpox cure being touted by Gen. Washington is actually turning people into Baby-Eating Werewolves or even worse .........FRENCH..........:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
… Is Covid still a thing?
It would not be much of anything if all who are eligible were vaccinated. Unfortunately, the antiva anorexics are spewing viruses out of their breeding-ground bodies like Rosemary’s Babies, causing intensive care units to run near capacity in some areas again, and threatening even worse consequences when indoor season (flu season) soon arrives. Thanks, dirty oozy antiva anorexics!

Reactions: NittanyChris
The odds of dying in a car crash in 2019 were 1 in 8,393. I drive about 40,000 miles per year, so I'm guessing my likelihood is even greater.

If I were unvaccinated (53, no significant underlying health conditions), the odds of me contracting and dying from covid are 1 in 10,989.

An unvaccinated 53 year old is twice as likely to die from other causes, even if they catch covid.

Where can I get my car vaccinated?

The odds of dying in a car crash in 2019 were 1 in 8,393. I drive about 40,000 miles per year, so I'm guessing my likelihood is even greater.

If I were unvaccinated (53, no significant underlying health conditions), the odds of me contracting and dying from covid are 1 in 10,989.

An unvaccinated 53 year old is twice as likely to die from other causes, even if they catch covid.

You should stop driving to protect me!

You should stop driving to protect me!
Not sure about the odds of killing someone else by driving.

Edit: Lifetime odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 107. Lifetime odds of causing an accident that kills someone else are 1 in 150.

For the U.S. military, coronavirus vaccination is akin to body armor​

Vaccine requirements for U.S. troops have existed for centuries — and for good reason

On Aug. 9, on the recommendation of President Biden, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin issued a memo communicating to all Department of Defense personnel his intent to seek presidential approval to mandate coronavirus vaccinations for all military personnel no later than mid-September, or upon the Food and Drug Administration’s approval. In our highly polarized political climate, this decision may seem unprecedented or a possible violation of service members’ rights.

It is not.

It is a mandate supported by more than 200 years of history — and one that is integral to maintaining military readiness.

In 1775, smallpox and the British army both threatened the Continental Army. In danger from the British, civilians fled Boston in the middle of a smallpox epidemic and intermingled with Continental troops, putting them at risk. The soldiers, in turn, used a 70-year-old remedy, inoculation, to get immunity through a milder form of the disease. The Continental Army’s commander, George Washington, had opposed this practice. Washington had barely survived smallpox he contracted in Barbados when he was a young man, and he feared the disease would render the army ineffective.

In the 1980s, the military responded to [the] growing anti-vaccination movement by standardizing its vaccination schedule for inductees and opting to require further vaccinations based upon global deployments. Currently, as part of initial entry training, service members are mandated to receive chickenpox; hepatitis A; hepatitis B; seasonal influenza; mumps, measles and rubella; polio; diphtheria; tetanus; and pertussis vaccinations.
The smallpox vaccine rendered a person immune from catching smallpox. They started to administer it in 1796. In 1977, smallpox was declared eradicated by the WHO, one of only two diseases the WHO has declared as eradicated. 181 years for a 100% effective vaccine.

Covid will be around for a long, long time.

You can’t, but if you could it’s be asinine not to.

Wearing your seatbelt, as mandated by the government, does significantly reduce your odds of dying though.

You can’t, but if you could it’s be asinine not to.

Wearing your seatbelt, as mandated by the government, does significantly reduce your odds of dying though.
89.6% of people wear seat belts, and the odds of dying in a car crash are still greater than dying of covid, even if I contract covid.

89.6% of people wear seat belts, and the odds of dying in a car crash are still greater than dying of covid, even if I contract covid.
Those 10% of riders account for almost 50% of the deaths.

I guess I don’t understand the point you’re making. All different types of things have all different types of risks. If you’re smart, you try to lessen those risks when possible(covid vaccine/seatbelt). I’m not sure what one situation being more risky has to do with the other.

What’s your source for 1/10,989 for covid (.009%)?

In your earlier post, you said that was your odds of “contracting and dying from covid.” But now you’re saying it’s still less even if you do contract covid.

However you said your odds of dying in a car crash are 1/8,393 (.012%). If my math is right (maybe not), the only way both of your statements would be true is if the covid odds are based on a 75% chance of contracting covid in a year.

the 'multiply your risk of dying tenfold to own the libs' mindset is just hilarious to me. makes sense that it's the same people that would pay for a fake vaccine card rather than getting a real one for free.

Those 10% of riders account for almost 50% of the deaths.

I guess I don’t understand the point you’re making. All different types of things have all different types of risks. If you’re smart, you try to lessen those risks when possible(covid vaccine/seatbelt). I’m not sure what one situation being more risky has to do with the other.
Wrong. Everyone weighs risks differently. If that blanket statement was true, there would be a lot fewer dead people due to reducing risky behavior. For instance, odds are currently something like 1 in 5000 of dying from an opioid OD. If only they lessened that risk...

My example was for me. The thing is, you guys are treating "everyone" the same. The fact is this virus is exceptionally age dependent. I just ran the calculator as if I was 20. My chances of dying from covid, if I was unvaccinated, are 1 in 1,000,000. A 20 year old's chance of even ending up in the hospital with covid are 1 in 30,000.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
I don't get all the continuing hyperbole.

Our real problems don't start for several years when the next engineered virus is released. You know the one designed specifically to target the spike protein that is being created in all of us.

Sorry couldn't resist, but this discussion is starting to need an injection of a fresh topic.

Last edited:

Uh. Car accidents do not have exponential growth. Do you remember that we ~shut down large swaths of the economy recently? That’s what we had to do to keep deaths under a million, for the time being. Do you remember what happened in India when they stopped their partial shutdown too early? Cremations in parking lots?

Just get out of here with your weak metaphor game. It’s embarrassing for a grown man to pretend to not understand compound interest and its incredible power, when we’ve just seen a demonstration within the past year or year and a half, involving on the order of half a million American excess deaths.

Wrong. Everyone weighs risks differently. If that blanket statement was true, there would be a lot fewer dead people due to reducing risky behavior. For instance, odds are currently something like 1 in 5000 of dying from an opioid OD. If only they lessened that risk...

My example was for me. The thing is, you guys are treating "everyone" the same. The fact is this virus is exceptionally age dependent. I just ran the calculator as if I was 20. My chances of dying from covid, if I was unvaccinated, are 1 in 1,000,000. A 20 year old's chance of even ending up in the hospital with covid are 1 in 30,000.
This is silly. I said “smart people” try to lessen their risk. Sure, there are plenty of dumb people out there.

I lessen my risk of ODing on opioids by not using them. I lessen my risk of dying in a car accident by wearing a seatbelt and not using my phone while I drive. Simple things that reasonable people do.

smart people will say 1-10,000 risk is not much, but if a free shot that takes 15 minutes the next time Im in Walmart could cut that risk by 95%, only a true moron would pass it up.

In your earlier post, you said that was your odds of “contracting and dying from covid.” But now you’re saying it’s still less even if you do contract covid.

However you said your odds of dying in a car crash are 1/8,393 (.012%). If my math is right (maybe not), the only way both of your statements would be true is if the covid odds are based on a 75% chance of contracting covid in a year.

The covid example is based on the initial peak of covid, but risk is calculated over just a 90 day period.

The car accident is based on 2019 full year data.

Uh. Car accidents do not have exponential growth. Do you remember that we ~shut down large swaths of the economy recently? That’s what we had to do to keep deaths under a million, for the time being. Do you remember what happened in India when they stopped their partial shutdown too early? Cremations in parking lots?

Just get out of here with your weak metaphor game. It’s embarrassing for a grown man to pretend to not understand compound interest and its incredible power, when we’ve just seen a demonstration within the past year or year and a half, involving on the order of half a million American excess deaths.
650,000/330, 000,000 = 0.197% chance of contracting and dying from covid, if nothing had changed. Has anything changed?

The mutation is less deadly.
The population that was most susceptible was hit hard.
The medical community has a better understanding of it, and it has better treatment protocols.
Oh, and presumably the surviving most susceptible got jabbed.

All of those things don't point to "compound interest."

Look, I got jabbed, so I'm at least somewhat convincible. But, I promise you this, I am convinced by data and statistics. I have never been swayed by arrogace.

Last edited:
It would not be much of anything if all who are eligible were vaccinated …
Given the limited protection that the vaccine affords, your statement is likely untrue. Fully 40% of cases now are among the vaccinated.

That’s an interesting statistic which indeed may show that I was over-optimistic/out-of-date/hyperbolic regarding the ability to get herd immunity. (Vaccines would still help tremendously even if we can’t get herd immunity, and can’t beat COVID to near-nothingness.) Is that 40% statistic from an authoritative science-based source?

Last edited:
... mutation ... less deadly … most susceptible … hit hard … better treatment protocols …[some] got jabbed.

All of those things don't point to "compound interest."
Uh. That is your argument?

“The disease has killed the easiest to kill, and doctors are getting better at treating the disease. And some people got immunized. That proves there is no compound interest.”

How does it prove there is no compound interest?

What would it look like if compound interest were real, and math and science really existed? Would not a disease kill the easiest to kill? Would doctors not get better at treating the disease?

What did your words show? Why does it feel like the twilight zone to read your so-called arguments?

If you have something to say, just say it. Don’t make people guess what actual point you’re trying to make.

Last edited:

“The disease has killed the easiest to kill, and doctors are getting better at treating the disease. And some people got immunized. That proves there is no compound interest.”

What would it look like if compound interest were real, and math and science really existed? Would not a disease kill the easiest to kill? Would doctors not get better at treating the disease?

What did your words show? Why does it feel like the twilight zone to read your so-called arguments?
Yep, there you go. You've convinced me.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
The covid example is based on the initial peak of covid, but risk is calculated over just a 90 day period.

The car accident is based on 2019 full year data.
When trying to analyze and problem solve.....I always told my students: "If there is no difference...there is no difference." "If there is a difference then there is a difference and the answer lies in the difference" There is little/no reliability in comparing data from the initial Covid peak and the current Covid peak unless the Covid variant is the same. It is not the same. The delta variant is much more contagious and far more dangerous to younger ages....despite the improvements in treatments. Perhaps we can compare car deaths when the speed limit was 17Mph? Perhaps compare Global warming trends of today with time periods 100 million years ago when no humans or fossil fuel burning machines even existed? Perfectly valid reasoning.........NOT.

The giant elephant in the room is a world human population that is at least double what this planet can support long term. I am perplexed why anyone who actually believes in true science rather than emotion would want to slow a disease. We should be creating 30 more of similar consequence if we want to really save our future. Mankind needs something to cut the herd if half and we need it soon. That is what the science is actually telling us. Do we listen to the science and let nature take the course it eventually must, or do we continue to pass the problem along to the future generations? A sad truth is still a truth.

The smallpox vaccine rendered a person immune from catching smallpox. They started to administer it in 1796. In 1977, smallpox was declared eradicated by the WHO, one of only two diseases the WHO has declared as eradicated. 181 years for a 100% effective vaccine.

Covid will be around for a long, long time.

I appreciate this post because it made me look up the 2nd virus that was eradicated. I thought smallpox was the only one. Well, it turns out it is the only one for humans. "Rinderpest" is the other one. I also had to look up what a ruminant was.

When trying to analyze and problem solve..... Perhaps compare Global warming trends of today with time periods 100 million years ago when no humans or fossil fuel burning machines even existed? Perfectly valid reasoning.........NOT.
For the record, A great American, Sportsfan, quoted Tennessee but the quote box erroneously shows “Dogwelder said”. I would hate to get credit for other people’s work.

70045110.jpg

The giant elephant in the room is a world human population that is at least double what this planet can support long term. I am perplexed why anyone who actually believes in true science rather than emotion would want to slow a disease. We should be creating 30 more of similar consequence if we want to really save our future. Mankind needs something to cut the herd if half and we need it soon. That is what the science is actually telling us. Do we listen to the science and let nature take the course it eventually must, or do we continue to pass the problem along to the future generations? A sad truth is still a truth.

Oh wow, that is some apocalyptic stuff. Here's someone else that would agree with you:

• Wow
We just need to colonize space.

When trying to analyze and problem solve.....I always told my students: "If there is no difference...there is no difference." "If there is a difference then there is a difference and the answer lies in the difference" There is little/no reliability in comparing data from the initial Covid peak and the current Covid peak unless the Covid variant is the same. It is not the same. The delta variant is much more contagious and far more dangerous to younger ages....despite the improvements in treatments. Perhaps we can compare car deaths when the speed limit was 17Mph? Perhaps compare Global warming trends of today with time periods 100 million years ago when no humans or fossil fuel burning machines even existed? Perfectly valid reasoning.........NOT.
Data and statistics. Please cite the "far more dangerous to younger ages."

According to the CDC, there have been 486 deaths from January 4, 2020 to September 4, 2021 in the 0-18 age group. Total. So, unless there was just one death in that age group in 2020, and 485 in the last month, color me sceptical of your statement. Plus, we're not even vaccinating kids in that age group.

Additionally, if you're talking about 0-50 age group, there are a whole shitpile more people in that age group than the 75+ that covid hit hardest early on. If covid was more dangerous and more transmissible to the 0-50 crowd, shouldn't we be seeing much, much higher death counts with this latest surge? We're not.

Last edited:

If you have something to say, just say it. Don’t make people guess what actual point you’re trying to make.
The decision to get jabbed or not get jabbed is being made now, after all of those changes have taken place. Unfortunately, what's past is past. People couldn't make that decision until various times throughout this year. In my age and health group, I couldn't make the decision until something like April, because more susceptible people were able to make the decision and get the jab earlier.

Or, maybe your math and science has come up with a way to make time travel possible.

Last edited:

Yes, I misspoke. My apologies.

… If covid was more dangerous and more transmissible to the 0-50 crowd, shouldn't we be seeing much, much higher death counts with this latest surge? We're not.
The point of having a brain is to see an exponential train coming and get out of the way before it hits. In the case of Covid, we get on the order of half a million US deaths, despite closing down big parts of the economy, but it is still not enough for you. You want to see more deaths before you think people should work together and get the people and the economy out of the way of the train.

ADVERTISEMENT