ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

I thought it was in relation to Jon Rahm being pulled from the golf tournament he was leading by 6 strokes in the final round, but apparently not. When that was brought up ironically Kanell tweeted Rahm's vaccination status...
Waiting for the first trade/minor league call up for a vaccinated arm and push the team over 85%. If you are a bench warmer you better get vaccinated.

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Rahm was 18 under after 3 rounds. Only 2 people were within 9 shots....nobody closer than 6. The champion finished 13 under. First place was just a shade under 1.7 MILLION dollars. It is pretty safe to say Rahm forfeited 1.7 million for not getting vaccinated. If you saw the video of him being informed of his positive test.....he said "Not again" Yes.....he was removed from a tournament before as a result of contact tracing. He wasn't 6 strokes in front going into the final round though. Expensive choices :(
$3.6 million in earnings this year for a 26 year old. He ain't hurting.

Rahm was 18 under after 3 rounds. Only 2 people were within 9 shots....nobody closer than 6. The champion finished 13 under. First place was just a shade under 1.7 MILLION dollars. It is pretty safe to say Rahm forfeited 1.7 million for not getting vaccinated. If you saw the video of him being informed of his positive test.....he said "Not again" Yes.....he was removed from a tournament before as a result of contact tracing. He wasn't 6 strokes in front going into the final round though. Expensive choices :(
I learned something today: apparently it is impossible to stay 6 feet away from people on a golf course.

Meanwhile, it is quite likely to stay 6 feet apart while on an indoor basketball court.

I learned something today: apparently it is impossible to stay 6 feet away from people on a golf course.

Meanwhile, it is quite likely to stay 6 feet apart while on an indoor basketball court.
What do you mean by your second sentence? The NBA isn’t allowing covid positive vaccinated players to play is it?

Ok call me a moron, I can take it. Golf is the one sport where they are out doors and with little thought can ensure proper social distancing. Nearly zero percent chance of transmission. Why even test, simply because they are atheletes? Did they test the whole gallery? At the end of the day noone is willing to admit it's more about the optics than the legitimate risk.

Love it where you see people refused service in restaraunts without a mask. Necessary to protect everyone while you make that perilous walk 20' to your table. Or to put a struggling restaurant owner out of business because he/she didn't have the rights to the parking lot to put up a fully enclosed tent to then claim 'outdoor' seating. The champion of the outdoor lunacy was Cali's own Gov Gavin Newsom. Close the LA beaches force everyone back on doors, what a simpleton! I guess we all get what we deserve if you get my drift.

I miss the world in which we could have said everyone in a high risk category should get the vaccine, everyone else has the freedom to make up their own mind about gettng the vaccine or not. Those that are concerned can protect themselves.

Ok call me a moron, I can take it. Golf is the one sport where they are out doors and with little thought can ensure proper social distancing. Nearly zero percent chance of transmission. Why even test, simply because they are atheletes? Did they test the whole gallery? At the end of the day noone is willing to admit it's more about the optics than the legitimate risk.

Love it where you see people refused service in restaraunts without a mask. Necessary to protect everyone while you make that perilous walk 20' to your table. Or to put a struggling restaurant owner out of business because he/she didn't have the rights to the parking lot to put up a fully enclosed tent to then claim 'outdoor' seating. The champion of the outdoor lunacy was Cali's own Gov Gavin Newsom. Close the LA beaches force everyone back on doors, what a simpleton! I guess we all get what we deserve if you get my drift.

I miss the world in which we could have said everyone in a high risk category should get the vaccine, everyone else has the freedom to make up their own mind about gettng the vaccine or not. Those that are concerned can protect themselves.
Who called you a moron?? I certainly didn't. One thought: How did Rahm get Covid-19?

The few people alive that lived in that world were probably about 1 or 2 years old at the time. This is the worst pandemic since Spanish Flu.

Waiting for the first trade/minor league call up for a vaccinated arm and push the team over 85%. If you are a bench warmer you better get vaccinated.
Been thinking this too. The Cub's Eric Sogard isn't vaxxed (presumably as his wife is vocally anti-vax on social media). Due to other injuries, they've had to bring up some young infielders who are now outplaying him. He's 35 and a below league average player. Have to think he's on the chopping block when Hoerner and Duffy come off the IL. They're now deep in the infield and he's the weakest link. Just one name that came to mind.

Read more panic less.

I guess that answers the relevant question......"Does a golfer sh@t in the woods?" You can also substitute the word eat, drink, wash, and dress as well as other activities that most golfers do indoors. Think more.... divert less :)

So..in reality...you have no idea. No idea If he caught it in a porta-potty or in the locker room or in the restroom or in the restaurant or lobby or scorer's tent or bar or......etc.
He was in contact with someone who had it so they tested him daily. The next to last day he tested positive and had to withdrawal

Mandate the damn vaccine. Penn State's administrative response is cowardly and scientifically backwards:

E0vwNPmVUAA0Tvp

If vaccines work and you had one…why do you care whether I did. If vaccines dont work, why do I need one? Midterms around the corner…need vaccine hysteria so we can keep all those unconstitutional voting law changes in place. mandate vaccine passports to go to class…no identification needed to vote though. Also, if unvaccinated people are spreading the virus how about we mandate vaccine for all the illegally aliens pouring over the boarder?!! July was the highest number on record…beating out June which was the highest, beating out May which was the highest. See a pattern here?

If vaccines work and you had one…why do you care whether I did. If vaccines dont work, why do I need one? Midterms around the corner…need vaccine hysteria so we can keep all those unconstitutional voting law changes in place. mandate vaccine passports to go to class…no identification needed to vote though. Also, if unvaccinated people are spreading the virus how about we mandate vaccine for all the illegally aliens pouring over the boarder?!! July was the highest number on record…beating out June which was the highest, beating out May which was the highest. See a pattern here?
Exactly!!!!!!!! What happened to "my body my choice"?? I guess that only applies in certain circumstances. I already had Covid and have high antibody counts, why get a vaccine when I have God given natural immunity, but they seem to be conveniently ignoring that. Also, proven fact that those who have the vaccine still carry the virus and transmit it, so I guess they can spread it too. Funny how before Biden took office, none of the liberals would take the vaccine because Trump developed it and they didn't trust him, now they want everyone to take it, wonder what changed? So we want everyone to take a vaccine that is 1. Not FDA approved, 2. That people are contracting the virus even after vaccination, 3. Is causing many long lasting and life altering side effects, and 4. People are still dying after receiving the shots. Doesn't make any sense..........

https://www.nytimes.com/section/opinion

If You Skip the Vaccine, It Is My ‘Damn Business’​

When asked if he had gotten a Covid-19 vaccine, Lamar Jackson, a quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens, declined to answer. “I feel it’s a personal decision,” he said. “I’m just going to keep my feelings to my family and myself.”

Jackson echoed another N.F.L. quarterback, Cam Newton of the New England Patriots, who said much the same a few days earlier. “It’s too personal to discuss,” Newton replied, when asked if he was vaccinated. “I’ll just keep it at that.”

Jackson and Newton are not the only prominent people to say hey, it’s personal when asked about the vaccine. It is a common dodge for public-facing vaccine skeptics or those using vaccine skepticism for their own ends. “I don’t think it’s anybody’s damn business whether I’m vaccinated or not,” Representative Chip Roy, Republican of Texas, told CNN last month. Senator Ron Johnson, Republican of Wisconsin, wrote similarly (albeit less abrasively) in May that vaccination was a “personal and private decision” and that “no one should be shamed, coerced, or mandated to take Covid-19 vaccines that are being allowed under an emergency use authorization.”

Johnson, and all the others, are wrong. Wearing a helmet while bike riding, strapping on your seatbelt in a car — these are personal decisions, at least as far as your own injuries are concerned. Vaccination is different. In the context of a deadly and often debilitating contagion, where the unchecked spread of infection has consequences for the entire society, vaccination is not a personal decision. And inasmuch as the United States has struggled to achieve herd immunity against Covid-19 through vaccination, it is because we refuse to treat the pandemic for what it is: a social problem to solve through collection action.

From the jump, the federal government devolved its response to the pandemic, foisting responsibility onto states and localities, which, in turn, left individual Americans and their communities to navigate conflicting rules and information.

This approach continued with the arrival of vaccines. Until recently, in the face of a vaccination plateau, there was not even a mandate for federal employees to receive the vaccine. States and employers have been left to their own devices, and individuals face a patchwork of rules and mandates depending on where they live and where they work.

Is it any surprise that millions of Americans treat this fundamentally social problem — how do we vaccinate enough people to prevent the spread of a deadly disease — as a personal one? Or that many people have refused to take the shot, citing the privacy of their decision as well as their freedom to do as they choose?

Consider, too, the larger cultural and political context of the United States. We still live in the shadow of the Reagan Revolution and its successful attack on America’s traditions of republican solidarity and social responsibility. “Over the past fifty years,” Mike Konczal writes in “Freedom from the Market: America’s Fight to Liberate Itself From the Grip of the Invisible Hand,” “both our personal lives and our economy have been forced ever more deeply into market dependency.”

This extends into our political lives — and our political selves — as well. If American society has been reshaped in the image of capital, then Americans themselves have been pushed to relate to one another and our institutions as market creatures in search of utility, as opposed to citizens bound together by rights and obligations. If “there are certain habits, certain attributes of character without cultivation of which there can be no individual progress, and therefore no social progress,” as Henry E. Sharpe, a theorist for the Knights of Labor, wrote in 1883, then you could say Americans today are a little out of practice.

Not because they are lazy, of course, but because this is the society we have built, where individuals are left to carry the burdens of life into the market and hope that they survive. This so-called freedom is ill suited to human flourishing. It is practically maladaptive in the face of a pandemic.

That’s why families and communities were left to fend for themselves in the face of disease, why so many people treat the question of exposure and contagion as a personal choice made privately and why our institutions have made vaccination a choice when it should have been mandated from the start.

Recently, much has been made of the anger and frustration many people feel toward vaccine holdouts. “Vaccinated America Has Had Enough,” declared the former Republican speechwriter David Frum in The Atlantic, writing that “the unvaccinated person himself or herself has decided to inflict a preventable and unjustifiable harm upon family, friends, neighbors, community, country, and planet.”

I share this frustration, as well as the anger at the lies and misinformation that fuel a good deal of anti-vaccine sentiment. But I also know that anger toward individuals is ultimately misplaced.
When you structure a society so that every person must be an island, you cannot then blame people when inevitably they act as if they are. If we want a country that takes solidarity seriously, we will actually have to build one.

It's always good to see who at a university is unwilling and unable to persuade others, and who opposes minority enrollment.

• Aug. 12, 2021

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court allowed Indiana University on Thursday to require students to be vaccinated against the coronavirus.
Eight students had sued the university, saying the requirement violated their constitutional rights to “bodily integrity, autonomy and medical choice.” But they conceded that exemptions to the requirement — for religious, ethical and medical reasons — “virtually guaranteed” that anyone who sought an exemption would be granted one.
Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who oversees the federal appeals court in question, turned down the students’ request for emergency relief without comment, which is the court’s custom in ruling on emergency applications. She acted on her own, without referring the application to the full court, and she did not ask the university for a response. Both of those moves were indications that the application was not on solid legal footing.
The students were represented by James Bopp Jr., a prominent conservative lawyer who has been involved in many significant lawsuits, including the Citizens United campaign finance case. He argued that the university’s vaccine requirement was putting his clients at risk.

https://www.nytimes.com/section/opinion

If You Skip the Vaccine, It Is My ‘Damn Business’​

When asked if he had gotten a Covid-19 vaccine, Lamar Jackson, a quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens, declined to answer. “I feel it’s a personal decision,” he said. “I’m just going to keep my feelings to my family and myself.”

Jackson echoed another N.F.L. quarterback, Cam Newton of the New England Patriots, who said much the same a few days earlier. “It’s too personal to discuss,” Newton replied, when asked if he was vaccinated. “I’ll just keep it at that.”

Jackson and Newton are not the only prominent people to say hey, it’s personal when asked about the vaccine. It is a common dodge for public-facing vaccine skeptics or those using vaccine skepticism for their own ends. “I don’t think it’s anybody’s damn business whether I’m vaccinated or not,” Representative Chip Roy, Republican of Texas, told CNN last month. Senator Ron Johnson, Republican of Wisconsin, wrote similarly (albeit less abrasively) in May that vaccination was a “personal and private decision” and that “no one should be shamed, coerced, or mandated to take Covid-19 vaccines that are being allowed under an emergency use authorization.”

Johnson, and all the others, are wrong. Wearing a helmet while bike riding, strapping on your seatbelt in a car — these are personal decisions, at least as far as your own injuries are concerned. Vaccination is different. In the context of a deadly and often debilitating contagion, where the unchecked spread of infection has consequences for the entire society, vaccination is not a personal decision. And inasmuch as the United States has struggled to achieve herd immunity against Covid-19 through vaccination, it is because we refuse to treat the pandemic for what it is: a social problem to solve through collection action.

From the jump, the federal government devolved its response to the pandemic, foisting responsibility onto states and localities, which, in turn, left individual Americans and their communities to navigate conflicting rules and information.

This approach continued with the arrival of vaccines. Until recently, in the face of a vaccination plateau, there was not even a mandate for federal employees to receive the vaccine. States and employers have been left to their own devices, and individuals face a patchwork of rules and mandates depending on where they live and where they work.

Is it any surprise that millions of Americans treat this fundamentally social problem — how do we vaccinate enough people to prevent the spread of a deadly disease — as a personal one? Or that many people have refused to take the shot, citing the privacy of their decision as well as their freedom to do as they choose?

Consider, too, the larger cultural and political context of the United States. We still live in the shadow of the Reagan Revolution and its successful attack on America’s traditions of republican solidarity and social responsibility. “Over the past fifty years,” Mike Konczal writes in “Freedom from the Market: America’s Fight to Liberate Itself From the Grip of the Invisible Hand,” “both our personal lives and our economy have been forced ever more deeply into market dependency.”

This extends into our political lives — and our political selves — as well. If American society has been reshaped in the image of capital, then Americans themselves have been pushed to relate to one another and our institutions as market creatures in search of utility, as opposed to citizens bound together by rights and obligations. If “there are certain habits, certain attributes of character without cultivation of which there can be no individual progress, and therefore no social progress,” as Henry E. Sharpe, a theorist for the Knights of Labor, wrote in 1883, then you could say Americans today are a little out of practice.

Not because they are lazy, of course, but because this is the society we have built, where individuals are left to carry the burdens of life into the market and hope that they survive. This so-called freedom is ill suited to human flourishing. It is practically maladaptive in the face of a pandemic.

That’s why families and communities were left to fend for themselves in the face of disease, why so many people treat the question of exposure and contagion as a personal choice made privately and why our institutions have made vaccination a choice when it should have been mandated from the start.

Recently, much has been made of the anger and frustration many people feel toward vaccine holdouts. “Vaccinated America Has Had Enough,” declared the former Republican speechwriter David Frum in The Atlantic, writing that “the unvaccinated person himself or herself has decided to inflict a preventable and unjustifiable harm upon family, friends, neighbors, community, country, and planet.”

I share this frustration, as well as the anger at the lies and misinformation that fuel a good deal of anti-vaccine sentiment. But I also know that anger toward individuals is ultimately misplaced.
When you structure a society so that every person must be an island, you cannot then blame people when inevitably they act as if they are. If we want a country that takes solidarity seriously, we will actually have to build one.

I think the problem here is vaccinations need FDA approval if you are going to mandate. The simple fact that the liability rests entirely with the individual in the event of side effects is a big issue. The government needs to take full financial liability in the event of health complications caused by these vaccines. If you die from heart failure as a result of the vaccination neither our government nor the manufacturer is liable. Take the liability if you want a mandate.

I think the problem here is vaccinations need FDA approval if you are going to mandate. The simple fact that the liability rests entirely with the individual in the event of side effects is a big issue. The government needs to take full financial liability in the event of health complications caused by these vaccines. If you die from heart failure as a result of the vaccination neither our government nor the manufacturer is liable. Take the liability if you want a mandate.
167M Americans vaccinated.

FDA: we're not ready to approve it yet.

If we're gonna mandate anything, let's mandate that the FDA do its job and put people ahead of bureaucratic sclerosis.

Just curious about any Penn State parents out there; Did you protest these requirements below? Did you even think twice about it?
If you didn't, you are just being political or you're a hypocrite. I can't think of any other reason.

Required Immunizations​

Incoming Degree-Seeking Students​

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
To satisfy Penn State immunization requirements, students must provide proof of:
  • Two doses of Measles (Rubeola), two doses of Mumps, and one dose of Rubella OR
  • Two doses of the MMR immunization OR
  • Results from a blood test showing immunity
The first dose must have been given on or after the student's first birthday. Dose two must have been given at least four weeks after dose one.

Students Living in University Housing​

Meningococcal
In addition to the MMR requirement, all students living in University housing must supply proof of the Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4): also known as Menveo, Menactra. This immunization is effective against the most common meningococcal infections caused by serogroups A, C, W, and Y. One dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine administered at age 16 or older is required. Students may request an exemption from this requirement by completing the Meningococcal Immunization Waiver if there is a medical contraindication to immunization, or if religious or philosophical beliefs prohibit immunization.

Strongly Recommended Immunizations​

COVID-19
COVID-19 immunization teaches our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. It typically takes two weeks after immunization for the body to build protection (immunity) against the virus that causes COVID-19. People are considered fully protected two weeks after their second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 immunization, or two weeks after the single-dose Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 immunization.
Meningococcal Vaccine (MenB)
Also known as Bexsero or Trumenba. This immunization is effective against most of the more common meningococcal infections caused by serogroup B. These immunizations are given in a series of either two or three injections and are not interchangeable. (Note: This immunization alone does not satisfy the Meningococcal Housing Requirement)
Varicella (Chicken Pox)
Two doses of varicella (chicken pox) immunization are needed for immunity. The doses must be administered at least 28 days apart. OR a blood test confirming immunity if you have had the chicken pox disease.
Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap)
One dose of Tdap (tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis, NOT to be confused with DTap or Td) immunization is needed for immunity. A Td immunization booster is also needed if it has been greater than ten years since the Tdap was administered.
Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B is transmitted through body fluids, including blood. Three doses of Hepatitis B immunization are needed for immunity. Doses one and two must be administered at least four weeks apart. Dose three should be at least six months after the first dose and eight weeks after dose two. A blood test may be used to confirm immunity.
Hepatitis A Vaccine (HepA)
HepA vaccine is a 2-dose series given 6-18 months apart. In some cases, Hep A and Hep B are given as a combined immunization, which would necessitate that 3 doses are needed for immunity.
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
Three different immunization have been used in the U.S. [Cervarix (bivalent HPV vaccine), Gardasil (Quadrivalent HPV vaccine), Gardasil-9 (9-valent HPV vaccine)]; all three are given in a 3-dose series and are needed for immunity.
Pneumococcal Vaccine
13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PVC13) or 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. Recommended for students with certain medical risk factors or high risk of pneumococcal disease.

Whether you like it or not, these resolutions passed the University Senate today. We'll see what the response of the administration is. Personally, I support the vaccine mandate (which is in effect in hundreds of universities across the US) but don't see the full rationale for a universal mask mandate if one has proof of vaccination.

Reactions: Gebmo
Just curious about any Penn State parents out there; Did you protest these requirements below? Did you even think twice about it?
If you didn't, you are just being political or you're a hypocrite. I can't think of any other reason.

Required Immunizations​

Incoming Degree-Seeking Students​

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
To satisfy Penn State immunization requirements, students must provide proof of:
  • Two doses of Measles (Rubeola), two doses of Mumps, and one dose of Rubella OR
  • Two doses of the MMR immunization OR
  • Results from a blood test showing immunity
The first dose must have been given on or after the student's first birthday. Dose two must have been given at least four weeks after dose one.

Students Living in University Housing​

Meningococcal
In addition to the MMR requirement, all students living in University housing must supply proof of the Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4): also known as Menveo, Menactra. This immunization is effective against the most common meningococcal infections caused by serogroups A, C, W, and Y. One dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine administered at age 16 or older is required. Students may request an exemption from this requirement by completing the Meningococcal Immunization Waiver if there is a medical contraindication to immunization, or if religious or philosophical beliefs prohibit immunization.

Strongly Recommended Immunizations​

COVID-19
COVID-19 immunization teaches our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. It typically takes two weeks after immunization for the body to build protection (immunity) against the virus that causes COVID-19. People are considered fully protected two weeks after their second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 immunization, or two weeks after the single-dose Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 immunization.
Meningococcal Vaccine (MenB)
Also known as Bexsero or Trumenba. This immunization is effective against most of the more common meningococcal infections caused by serogroup B. These immunizations are given in a series of either two or three injections and are not interchangeable. (Note: This immunization alone does not satisfy the Meningococcal Housing Requirement)
Varicella (Chicken Pox)
Two doses of varicella (chicken pox) immunization are needed for immunity. The doses must be administered at least 28 days apart. OR a blood test confirming immunity if you have had the chicken pox disease.
Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap)
One dose of Tdap (tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis, NOT to be confused with DTap or Td) immunization is needed for immunity. A Td immunization booster is also needed if it has been greater than ten years since the Tdap was administered.
Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B is transmitted through body fluids, including blood. Three doses of Hepatitis B immunization are needed for immunity. Doses one and two must be administered at least four weeks apart. Dose three should be at least six months after the first dose and eight weeks after dose two. A blood test may be used to confirm immunity.
Hepatitis A Vaccine (HepA)
HepA vaccine is a 2-dose series given 6-18 months apart. In some cases, Hep A and Hep B are given as a combined immunization, which would necessitate that 3 doses are needed for immunity.
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
Three different immunization have been used in the U.S. [Cervarix (bivalent HPV vaccine), Gardasil (Quadrivalent HPV vaccine), Gardasil-9 (9-valent HPV vaccine)]; all three are given in a 3-dose series and are needed for immunity.
Pneumococcal Vaccine
13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PVC13) or 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. Recommended for students with certain medical risk factors or high risk of pneumococcal disease.
I'm not a PSU parent but among those I know who aren't getting vaccinated, nearly all cite "experimental vaccine."

That is the official status of the vaccine, according to the FDA.

There is also major distrust of our institutions, which was earned before the virus hit and validated numerous times since.

Reactions: Lyons212
I work in a fast food restaurant. When the sign in the bathroom says I have to wash hands with soap and warm water, I give it the finger and say: “it’s my personal choice whether to wash my hands with soap and warm water after I poo.” After all, I can’t harm anyone else with my choices, if it so happens that I have germs, right? All men live on their own island, as the saying goes. The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the pack can go f*%k itself, is another good saying.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'm not a PSU parent but among those I know who aren't getting vaccinated, nearly all cite "experimental vaccine."

There is also major distrust of our institutions, which was earned before the virus hit and validated numerous times since.
On one hand, I understand the general concern regarding the lack of full approval.

On the other hand, based on comments many of those that hold that specific skepticism/concern also make, is the blessing of an additional bureaucratic institution really going to make a difference? I have my doubts.

Last edited:

If an Olympic Bronze > World Silver then:
2021 experimental vaccine > 1963 FDA approved vaccine

Just sayin'...

The whole pandemic could be essentially over by now in the US, but we have the new religion of “you can’t make me”. It’s like a mass anorexia, where people derive highest meaning and satisfaction from controlling their own domain, above objective reason in the form of: your action will plainly cause human death.

Reactions: IwasAwful
ADVERTISEMENT