ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

giphy.gif

WigglyLeadingIncatern-small.gif

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Last night's North Carolina/VT match cancelled by COVID. It's going to be a bumpy ride this "season".

To the guy saying in the other thread that it wouldn't happen that a college athlete would get covid with minor if any symptoms and then have serious issues later on, I would probably think the same, but we don't really know for sure. For example Florida basketball player Keyontae Johnson tested positive for covid over the summer (technically don't see if he actually got sick but maybe he did), then collapsed on the court in December and was later diagnosed with myocarditis. Not confirmed that it was related to the covid but could have been.

Reactions: Dogwelder
You don't seem to understand how vaccines work.

Moved from PSU/ RUT.

As I stated, I’m no doctor, so seriously please explain to me why when you get the polio,M/M/R, Tdap,HepB etc VACCINES you are 99.99% protected against these, but with this Covid VACCINE, you can still contact Covid? How can this be labeled a VACCINE?

Moved from PSU/ RUT.

As I stated, I’m no doctor, so seriously please explain to me why when you get the polio,M/M/R, Tdap,HepB etc VACCINES you are 99.99% protected against these, but with this Covid VACCINE, you can still contact Covid? How can this be labeled a VACCINE?
It's the misconception of vaccines. They are not 100% effective. However, if it has a high enough efficacy and enough of the population takes it, it eliminates the spread of the disease and eventually can eliminate a specific disease.
In the case of the "flu shot" (which is a vaccine), it is marketed as a "shot" to encourage annual vaccinations. The efficacy+population receiving the flu shot is not high enough to eliminate it. So variants occur every year and other vaccines are developed to tamp down the spread and impact so as to avoid a pandemic.
I'm guessing "Covid shots" will become as common as "flu shots".
Many companies produce different flu vaccines every year, but it is not newsworthy to report on efficacy/side effects.

It's the misconception of vaccines. They are not 100% effective. However, if it has a high enough efficacy and enough of the population takes it, it eliminates the spread of the disease and eventually can eliminate a specific disease.
In the case of the "flu shot" (which is a vaccine), it is marketed as a "shot" to encourage annual vaccinations. The efficacy+population receiving the flu shot is not high enough to eliminate it. So variants occur every year and other vaccines are developed to tamp down the spread and impact so as to avoid a pandemic.
I'm guessing "Covid shots" will become as common as "flu shots".
Many companies produce different flu vaccines every year, but it is not newsworthy to report on efficacy/side effects.
Thanks Wino, say did you by chance stay at the cottage last night?

To the guy saying in the other thread that it wouldn't happen that a college athlete would get covid with minor if any symptoms and then have serious issues later on, I would probably think the same, but we don't really know for sure ...
You are using traditional reasoning, used in schools. Traditional reasoning says it’s hard to prove a negative.

Other(s) are using advanced reasoning by which proving a negative is the easiest thing in the world. “I have not heard of it yet in my casual reading of the layman’s media, therefore it never happens.”

Proof by personal ignorance was not possible in Aristotle’s Greece, but now it is. :)

Reactions: ccdiver
Will the vaccine prevent this?

There are 2 different metrics. "With covid" deaths and deaths where covid was the underlying cause. According to the CDC, last I checked covid was the underlying cause in about 91% of "with covid" deaths. So yes, the numbers are inflated, but only by about 9% (which of course would still put the death toll at about 375k).

Putting this in the dumpster fire thread but somewhat wrestling related...

Just wanted to say kudos to Cael for seemingly being one of the only coaches that can manage to keep his mask on for for the majority/whole match. Clemsen did too but he might as well have been wearing a ski mask, surprised he could even see out of that thing

Reactions: Hey_Blue
Clemsen did too but he might as well have been wearing a ski mask, surprised he could even see out of that thing

He didn't want to see. For all he knows they might have pulled off the upset of the year. No fans were there to cheer and tell him otherwise.

Hey, did you hear Suriano is supposedly out of OTT due to a positive covid test, but now he might be retesting?

Anyone got any dumb opinions on this topic? Well, this is the place for them...

• Love
Reactions: 82bordeaux

"For Colleges, Vaccine Mandates Often Depend on Which Party Is in Power":​

I wonder how this is likely to affect athletics (wrestling) as well as many other things. An excerpt (since it is behind a paywall for many):

For more than 400 colleges and universities, it is being billed as the ticket to a normal year on campus: Require all students to be vaccinated for the coronavirus before they can matriculate next fall.

From just one university in March, to a dozen by the first week of April, the trickle has become a tide over the past month — depending on just where students are attending school.

In a divided nation, college vaccine mandates are mostly following familiar fault lines. As of this weekend, only 34 — roughly 8 percent — are in states that voted for Donald J. Trump, according to a tracker created by The Chronicle of Higher Education. Nine of those were added on Friday, when Indiana University and its satellite campuses became rare public universities in a Republican-controlled state to mandate vaccines. Though the 400 campuses are only about 10 percent of the nation’s roughly 4,000 colleges and universities, experts say the political gap is likely to persist.

"For Colleges, Vaccine Mandates Often Depend on Which Party Is in Power":​

I wonder how this is likely to affect athletics (wrestling) as well as many other things. An excerpt (since it is behind a paywall for many):

For more than 400 colleges and universities, it is being billed as the ticket to a normal year on campus: Require all students to be vaccinated for the coronavirus before they can matriculate next fall.

From just one university in March, to a dozen by the first week of April, the trickle has become a tide over the past month — depending on just where students are attending school.

In a divided nation, college vaccine mandates are mostly following familiar fault lines. As of this weekend, only 34 — roughly 8 percent — are in states that voted for Donald J. Trump, according to a tracker created by The Chronicle of Higher Education. Nine of those were added on Friday, when Indiana University and its satellite campuses became rare public universities in a Republican-controlled state to mandate vaccines. Though the 400 campuses are only about 10 percent of the nation’s roughly 4,000 colleges and universities, experts say the political gap is likely to persist.

You or someone posted this on themat before the thread got disappeared, but I still think it's disingenous to say "states that voted for Trump" when that doesn't include states like PA & GA that went to Trump in 2016 that I believe had something like 26 schools alone requiring the vaccine

You or someone posted this on themat before the thread got disappeared, but I still think it's disingenous to say "states that voted for Trump" when that doesn't include states like PA & GA that went to Trump in 2016 that I believe had something like 26 schools alone requiring the vaccine
Why is that disingenuous? It's factually true about the last election. 2016 was 5 years ago. That being said, PA is basically "purple", however; and both the PA and GA races were close. Still:

"A total of 15 conservative-led states, including Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Mississippi and Alabama, do not have a single university that has announced a vaccine requirement."

Why is that disingenuous? It's factually true about the last election. 2016 was 5 years ago. That being said, PA is basically "purple", however; and both the PA and GA races were close. Still:

"A total of 15 conservative-led states, including Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Mississippi and Alabama, do not have a single university that has announced a vaccine requirement."

So? What's your point? Is that supposed to be a surprise?

I wonder if this will be a thing in college athletics

Definitely not a question I'd ask, but isn't the context to this that teams who don't reach a certain threshold are still subject to the covid protocols which put them at a competitive disadvantage? For example, once you reach 85% in the MLB, you aren't at the mercy of contact tracing anymore. I know this has been a thing with the Cubs, to the point that their team president has publicly voiced his frustration with his team. It's not completely out of left field.

I'd guess it won't be a thing in college athletics, but who knows.

Definitely not a question I'd ask, but isn't the context to this that teams who don't reach a certain threshold are still subject to the covid protocols which put them at a competitive disadvantage? For example, once you reach 85% in the MLB, you aren't at the mercy of contact tracing anymore. I know this has been a thing with the Cubs, to the point that their team president has publicly voiced his frustration with his team. It's not completely out of left field.

I'd guess it won't be a thing in college athletics, but who knows.

I thought it was in relation to Jon Rahm being pulled from the golf tournament he was leading by 6 strokes in the final round, but apparently not. When that was brought up ironically Kanell tweeted Rahm's vaccination status...

I thought it was in relation to Jon Rahm being pulled from the golf tournament he was leading by 6 strokes in the final round, but apparently not. When that was brought up ironically Kanell tweeted Rahm's vaccination status...
I mostly listen to Chicago sports radio and it's been a constant topic of conversation because of the Cubs not reaching 85% and Jed Hoyer's public comments on the situation. It's a pretty big competitive advantage to reach the threshold and not risk losing key players to contact tracing or positive tests. It's a big storyline, but a tough line to walk with how you cover it.

I mostly listen to Chicago sports radio and it's been a constant topic of conversation because of the Cubs not reaching 85% and Jed Hoyer's public comments on the situation. It's a pretty big competitive advantage to reach the threshold and not risk losing key players to contact tracing or positive tests. It's a big storyline, but a tough line to walk with how you cover it.

Got ya, yeah I'm a Phillies fan and did see an article that they "probably won't" reach 85% either, but (at least publicly) the manager/executives seem to be shying away from doing much encouraging to get it.

Here's an interesting take kinda combining both Rahm and MLB - one Philly writer is suggesting those that test positive and are not vaccinated should forfeit their salary during the time they need to isolate - https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/jon-rahm-covid-phillies-vaccine-20210608.html

Got ya, yeah I'm a Phillies fan and did see an article that they "probably won't" reach 85% either, but (at least publicly) the manager/executives seem to be shying away from doing much encouraging to get it.

Here's an interesting take kinda combining both Rahm and MLB - one Philly writer is suggesting those that test positive and are not vaccinated should forfeit their salary during the time they need to isolate - https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/jon-rahm-covid-phillies-vaccine-20210608.html
Yeah, teams are in a tough spot. If they aren't there already, it's hard to imagine them getting to 85% at this point. If the Cubs have outbreak that derails the season, Chicago media is going to melt down lol.

You need to add a disclaimer before posting anything by Marcus Hayes.

Every article of his I've read has made me dumber.

Reactions: Ski and Gray52

Rahm was 18 under after 3 rounds. Only 2 people were within 9 shots....nobody closer than 6. The champion finished 13 under. First place was just a shade under 1.7 MILLION dollars. It is pretty safe to say Rahm forfeited 1.7 million for not getting vaccinated. If you saw the video of him being informed of his positive test.....he said "Not again" Yes.....he was removed from a tournament before as a result of contact tracing. He wasn't 6 strokes in front going into the final round though. Expensive choices :(

ADVERTISEMENT