ADVERTISEMENT

Country club membership costs?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I know there is a huge range of costs depending on the club and the location but I was wondering if there is a typical amount for membership that members could share with me. I guess private clubs have an equity buy in, and sometimes a minimum restaurant charge in addition to golf fees. How do all these costs add up?

The course I normally play is public but offers memberships for $2000 per year for unlimited golf, although you still pay a cart fee. Summertime rates for the public are $85 including a cart. There may be some social events for members but I don’t think they require a restaurant minimum.

Thanks to any club members for sharing any costs at your club.

I’d say a range of dues for full golf would be 7-12k per year. Upfront initiation fee from 0-35k in most PA clubs. Clubs are really going to be financially strapped after this pandemic . There will be a fair number of reduced initiation fees . I think you’re in Lancaster Co. some more affordable ones would be Media Heights, Conestoga CC, and Lebanon CC.

Last edited:
I'm in NEPA and the private clubs deals are outstanding currently. Glenmaura is an outstanding track and use to hold Nationwide Tour (now Korn Ferry) events. With no minimum or up front cost I could join for $320 per month and only pay for 10 months out of the year. Still have to pay for a cart but you are allowed to walk. Pretty much every club in NEPA is under $5k a year currently.

Reactions: psu_1294
I know there is a huge range of costs depending on the club and the location but I was wondering if there is a typical amount for membership that members could share with me. I guess private clubs have an equity buy in, and sometimes a minimum restaurant charge in addition to golf fees. How do all these costs add up?

The course I normally play is public but offers memberships for $2000 per year for unlimited golf, although you still pay a cart fee. Summertime rates for the public are $85 including a cart. There may be some social events for members but I don’t think they require a restaurant minimum.

Thee are private and semi private clubs. Looks like the one you mentioned is semi private hence the good fee structure.

Reactions: Nitwit

I'd say that sounds like a great deal. Do it for a year then assess at the end.. One thing - never, ever start adding up your costs and try to justify (or discredit) your membership. Just enjoy it.

Last edited:
In southeastern PA you’re looking at about 6k a year for family membership. This is member, spouse and any children under 23. Add in another $250-500 quarter in minimums. Golf is “free” but cart will set you back $23-30 per round.

Many courses also offer step-up programs with reduced rates the first year to lure in new members. A great way to decide if the membership is for you.

Ballpark number I’m hearing to upkeep 18 hole course in PA would range from 600k to 1.2 million
Higher on the high end would be my guess - though short season. Down here it's nothing for GCSAA budgets over $2 MM. I know Jupiter Hills is $4 MM for 2 golf courses.

Reactions: katchthis
As someone else said in this tread, initiation costs can vary widely. In my area, the full golf initiation fee ranges from $5K to $80K. That includes golf, tennis, fitness, pool, clubhouse, etc. The monthly dues range from $300 - $700. If you have a food minimum it is probably in the $150 - $300 range per quarter.
My own club I would describe as upper middle of the pack locally. Initiation is $18K, dues are $630/month with an added capital improvement fee of $80/month. We do not have a food minimum but rather the philosophy that the food should be good enough to want to dine there.
For what it might be worth, you are never going to cost justify joining a private club vs. paying greens fees somewhere. If that is your reason for considering it, you will never be able to make the numbers work. The reason to join a private club is for an always well conditioned golf course, great overall facilities, a camaraderie with a fun group of fellow players and couples, and easy access to tee times, court times, etc. Also there is the family social aspect and the ability to possibly add to your business contacts.

Ballpark number I’m hearing to upkeep 18 hole course in PA would range from 600k to 1.2 million

I worked grounds crew during summers in college for a upscale semi-private course. One of the nicer daily fee courses in the area. At that time they said about $50k per year to maintain one hole. Obviously the number can greatly vary as I’m sure you’ve seen courses that maintain their grounds well.

I joined an outstanding club (always rated one of the Top Ten courses in IL by Golf Digest in their bi-annual ratings) back in 1985.

Took two years to get in and my initiation was approx $14,000. (It’s a non-equity club but am a 1/300th owner.) Today even with the virus we have a full membership and our wait list is approx 18 months. Current initiation is approx $75,000.

Monthly dues are a little under $1,000. Annual food min varies from year to year but is approx $2,000.

The biggest change over the years is in the last 5+ years or so we’ve added attractive membership opportunities for junior members.....sorry, I don’t know the details.

Effective April 1 I became a Sr Regular Member = monthly dues dropped to approx $500. This happens at age 70 plus 25 or more years of membership.

Golf is essentially free but you have cart and/or caddie fees.....we strongly support the Evans Scholar Program.

Living 20 miles from the club I’ve certainly never used it as much as I should.....and I don’t play as much now as when I joined as a 5-6 handicapper.....but it’s always a great feeling to have taken so many guests out over the years and have them play a course that hosted the US Open In 1922 and have them read the memorial to Gene Sarazen on the 18th tee.

Will walk away on of these days....but not yet!

Strange to have played my first round of the year yesterday. IL requires twosomes only, 15 minutes apart, no carts/caddies. A quiet stroll in the park!

Depends on locale. On L.I., private clubs initiation can run from 10,000 to over 1 million (Shinnecock, National, and such). That does not include annual fee and restaurant charge minimums. Long Island probably has the market for exclusive and ultra-wealthy clubs. I still love my Bethpage Black for $70/round! But the legs are getting too old and you must walk the course.

You can’t get in so why ask ? Just kidding. Just guessing 40-50k initiation and 12k dues . I think Merion is in the same ballpark . I’ve played twice at both courses and it is just a hypothesis. Don’t kill the messenger if I’m off . Some ritzy courses don’t really over inflate initiation fee . But to get an offer extended and the waiting list . . 8 guys from Lancaster are members at Pine Valley and it’s not crazy at all . You just are never going to get an invitation.
I’ve played at Fishers Island , #12 course or so in USA , you have to wait for a member to die to get an invitation.
Most expensive initiation ones I’ve played at are in Florida . Naples National 100-150k, and Calusa Pines 200k . Amazing thing is guys that are members here are members at least 3 other clubs . My Calusa Pines Contact is a member there and Pine Valley , and Lancaster CC, and Saucon Valley .

That’s a great point. It’s shocking the number of members that not only belong to another local club but as well as a club in FL or AZ where they spend their winters.

Rule #1 of country club membership- don’t expect to make your money back. You’re paying for the experience and convenience on top of the actual golf

I joined an outstanding club (always rated one of the Top Ten courses in IL by Golf Digest in their bi-annual ratings) back in 1985.

Took two years to get in and my initiation was approx $14,000. (It’s a non-equity club but am a 1/300th owner.) Today even with the virus we have a full membership and our wait list is approx 18 months. Current initiation is approx $75,000.

Monthly dues are a little under $1,000. Annual food min varies from year to year but is approx $2,000.

The biggest change over the years is in the last 5+ years or so we’ve added attractive membership opportunities for junior members.....sorry, I don’t know the details.

Effective April 1 I became a Sr Regular Member = monthly dues dropped to approx $500. This happens at age 70 plus 25 or more years of membership.

Golf is essentially free but you have cart and/or caddie fees.....we strongly support the Evans Scholar Program.

Living 20 miles from the club I’ve certainly never used it as much as I should.....and I don’t play as much now as when I joined as a 5-6 handicapper.....but it’s always a great feeling to have taken so many guests out over the years and have them play a course that hosted the US Open In 1922 and have them read the memorial to Gene Sarazen on the 18th tee.

Will walk away on of these days....but not yet!

Strange to have played my first round of the year yesterday. IL requires twosomes only, 15 minutes apart, no carts/caddies. A quiet stroll in the park!
Back during the golf boom here in SoFla - initiation fees were $50K +++ at any nice club. The Bear's Club opened and got $500K up front (now it's around $100K). Some local places realized they had an aging problem and offered an initiation fee of $1K for every year old you are. So 40 year old guys w/ wife and kids could get in for $40K. It worked. Turned the memberships over - or still in the process of it anyway. I'm a member at PGA National, but I never go there. Hoping Trump Jupiter comes up w/ a good summer deal - there's a rumor they will. I'd get to see my girl Jaye Marie + Lexie!

Back during the golf boom here in SoFla - initiation fees were $50K +++ at any nice club. The Bear's Club opened and got $500K up front (now it's around $100K). Some local places realized they had an aging problem and offered an initiation fee of $1K for every year old you are. So 40 year old guys w/ wife and kids could get in for $40K. It worked. Turned the memberships over - or still in the process of it anyway. I'm a member at PGA National, but I never go there. Hoping Trump Jupiter comes up w/ a good summer deal - there's a rumor they will. I'd get to see my girl Jaye Marie + Lexie!
PGA National - Had two friends who are cards and were members there. Mike Drury banker , and Lyndon Quinn, restauranteur .

I'm in NEPA and the private clubs deals are outstanding currently. Glenmaura is an outstanding track and use to hold Nationwide Tour (now Korn Ferry) events. With no minimum or up front cost I could join for $320 per month and only pay for 10 months out of the year. Still have to pay for a cart but you are allowed to walk. Pretty much every club in NEPA is under $5k a year currently.
I doubt SCC is in that range but I might be wrong. Added bonus to that place is you can swap partners if you'd like, at least thats what I hear. :)

There are two clubs in Ligonier, PA. They are The Rolling Rock Club, old old, old money. Also Laurel Valley golf club. You should check them out. They are really affordable, something like 75k a year I think for starters. My son worked at the R&R club and one time was tasked to go build a fire in the fire place in the room of Tucker Carlson. Man to have that kind of Jinga.

What about some place like Oakmont?? any idea? LOL

Oakmont was well over $100k 10+ years ago when my brother let his membership expire, so I’d be surprised if it is under $175k now. And that is not a bond, but just an initiation fee that only entitle you to then pay yearly dues and meal minimums. You get nothing back when you leave. Obviously you need a couple members to sponsor you, and there is likely a waiting list even at that price.

I believe St Clair CC, a very nice layout a tier below but really also a top facility near where I live, is probably closing in on $100k initiation...

If I lived near a nice more rural and reasonable club I would consider it, but I’ve played about every top Pittsburgh club either via business or by purchasing foursomes (threesomes at Oakmont...) in silent auctions or with friends as I enjoy playing different courses and don’t believe I would want to be tied to one expensive course.

But there are clubs in some areas that are part of club groups, such as the Avalon clubs around Sharon/Youngstown that allow members to play a number of courses within a membership.

Last edited:
I'd say Fox Chapel is next. Long Vue is nice too. Fox Chapel is probably more exclusive than Oakmont actually. Oakmont is more about your USGA index than your old money creds.
Toughest putting adventures I’ve ever experienced. Without a Caddie’s insight it would be insane .

Reactions: The_Intimidator69
The
I'd say Fox Chapel is next. Long Vue is nice too. Fox Chapel is probably more exclusive than Oakmont actually. Oakmont is more about your USGA index than your old money creds.
nicest course I’ve played in your area is McArthur. It was sometime ago . Loved the milk can logo . How’s that track doing ?

The

nicest course I’ve played in your area is McArthur. It was sometime ago . Loved the milk can logo . How’s that track doing ?
They've been open for awhile (Martin County). I really like it because it's not developed. Nick is a great guy for sure. One of the best.

All the attention is on the Grove at this point. It's unique, new, MJ, etc.

Places like Oakmont are typically around $100K as an initiation, probably about $12-15K yearly dues.

Last I looked, Oakmont's fee was $150K, most of which was a bond. That's still a hefty fee, and it doesn't matter, you aren't getting in, most likely. They'd prefer you be a rich guy from the west coast or the South, who will come in a few times a year with a group of wealthy friends to play a couple of rounds and spend money in the clubhouse.

Pittsburgh Golf Club is around $55K to get in, but that's only you. If you want your family/wife to be involved, you're going to pay double. Truth is, though, there's not much of a waiting list here anymore. It's a beautiful club, though. They'd prefer you to be Protestant, but I guess that is going away.

Pittsburgh Field Club is a touch cheaper, but you don't want to bother there if you can afford the Golf Club. The Golf Club's course is a whole lot better, and the food's better. True, the Golf Club is a bit more waspy, but the Field Club is filled with wannabe's. New money, with no taste.

Grew up in the area and knew families that were members of Fox Chapel, Pittsburgh or Longue Vue Country Clubs. I caddied at Fox Chapel and my brother was the pool manager at Longue View one season before moving to California.

Longue Vue was the "best value." Anybody with money could become a member of the Pittsburgh Field Club. Fox Chapel CC was considered the most prestigious locally and you had to be a "blue blood" to be even considered for membership. This was back in early 1970s so thing MIGHT have changed... but I doubt it as they have always been pretty set in their ways...

Grew up in the area and knew families that were members of Fox Chapel, Pittsburgh or Longue Vue Country Clubs. I caddied at Fox Chapel and my brother was the pool manager at Longue View one season before moving to California.

Longue Vue was the "best value." Anybody with money could become a member of the Pittsburgh Field Club. Fox Chapel CC was considered the most prestigious locally and you had to be a "blue blood" to be even considered for membership. This was back in early 1970s so thing MIGHT have changed... but I doubt it as they have always been pretty set in their ways...
Fox Chapel has stables and skeet shooting. Game over, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUfiji
I was a member at West Shore in Camp Hill. Initiation fee is $10k altho they do have membership drives every once in a while. I got in for $7k because they were replacing their pool. Its terrific now. I think that they also have less expensive fees for younger new members (under 35yo?) The monthly dues were about $575 and food minimum was maybe $60/month. If you don't spend that much you are an idiot because I honestly think it may be the best restaurant in the area. They course is excellent and meticulously maintained. If your round lasts over 4 hours you can expect to hear people griping. Honestly, 5 hour rounds are what is killing golf.

A few summers ago my wife and I bought our house in hopat. Her forever work friend owns a house on Byrum cove and our first week up here we had dinn. They told us of this sweet local hunt club that holds lots charity walks just 5 miles from our homes and they have world class sporting clays and hunting. So I’m super pumped to join. I leave a message at the club Sunday evening and get a return call the next am. A lovely sales director chats with me about her awesome club and I’m so pumped. So, how much, I’m ALL IN,
$150,000 join up. Apparently Kellogg is a main dude over there. Helipad and everything. I explained that was more than my house is worth and we laughed and hung up lol.
https://hudsonfarmnj.com/

Our club's golf course is ranked in top 10 in PA. Merion, Oakmont, Laurel Valley, Aronimink, Philly Cricket are the gold standard for courses. We would be the next strata, but ranked slightly ahead of the Field Club, Saucon Valley, Kind of on par with Fox Chapel, Lancaster, Lehigh, Huntsville, Scranton, etc. Now I am talking golf courses, not social status. We are in a little smaller city market than Pittsburgh or Philly, so just a little less prestigious than some clubs in the bigger metro areas.

Our initiation got to $35k in 2005 or so. With the recession in 2007 -08, we had to drop it. Needed a couple of membership drives at $5k. Initiation now back up to $12,500. We have no waiting list but are only 4-5 short of full. It will be interesting to see how badly we will be affected by the Pandemic. Like most "100 year old clubs", our membership tends to be older. So we have programs at slightly lower rates to recruit younger, family types.

We pay $570/mo in dues. That gets you golf, pool, tennis, paddle, small health room, etc. In addition we have two capital programs that add $175/mo. There is no food minimum. If you want a locker or club storage, that is extra. I don't tip each time but do slip some of the key staff extra when I have guests, at Christmas, etc.

We must take a caddy $50-70 or a cart $30 to play. You can walk and carry your own after 3:00. No push/pull carts except during Covid play. I play about 100 rounds each year, so the extra costs add up quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT