ADVERTISEMENT

Could the 2017 team have run the table if they played KJ?

Chris92

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2001
I know he was coming off a knee injury. But, he could have been the difference maker pulling his 'shirt out of the bye week. It was the perfect time to insert some speed to a so so receiving corps. You surprise Michigan with KJ's debut and then head to the 'Shoe and Sparty with another weapon on offense. Those two close losses with that team were a killer.

Such is life. Looking back its always easy to audible. THIS was going to be our year and WITHOUT question. It's tragic. So unfair. Our team this year is no doubt top 4. If we don't get it this year, we'll be back. The Natty is the only thing on my mind.

If and buts.........who gives a shit......or he would have tore up this knee and never played again.

If Joe Moorhead was able to think during the 2nd half in Columbus would we have a national title? Yes.

I know he was coming off a knee injury. But, he could have been the difference maker pulling his 'shirt out of the bye week. It was the perfect time to insert some speed to a so so receiving corps. You surprise Michigan with KJ's debut and then head to the 'Shoe and Sparty with another weapon on offense. Those two close losses with that team were a killer.

Look at it from the perspective of the coaching staff in 2017.

We already had Hamilton, Blacknall, Juwanson, and Thompkins at the WR position, Gesicki at TE, and Saquon at RB. That's a whole lot of receiving threats -- 4 of those 6 had 50+ catches in 2017.

Why would we even think to burn a redshirt of a smallish WR who was coming off a knee injury? It's not like we lost a key WR to injury.

We already had Hamilton, Blacknall, Juwanson, and Thompkins at the WR position, Gesicki at TE, and Saquon at RB. That's a whole lot of receiving threats -- 4 of those 6 had 50+ catches in 2017.

Why would we even think to burn a redshirt of a smallish WR who was coming off a knee injury? It's not like we lost a key WR to injury.
Why? Of all those WRs you mention they COMBINED, for exactly one play of longer than 50 yards. ONE. As the season progressed it really became clear we lacked a big play receiver.

Of course, play the kid and we not only would have beat OSU, but would have run the table and won the NC. Good Lord. Take off your masks...it could be an oxygen issue..........

Of course, play the kid and we not only would have beat OSU, but would have run the table and won the NC. Good Lord. Take off your masks...it could be an oxygen issue..........
Poor choice of words on my part; I really meant we came up 2 plays short of running the table in the regular season. For all I know, KJ could have even asked to Redshirt.

I watched the replay this evening of the 2017 loss in Columbus. It was evident we didn't have a WR that scared them in the 4th quarter of that game. To play KJ or not play him, these are the types of questions one comes up with when you've spent too much time stuck at home in a global pandemic.

Reactions: marshall23
Why? Of all those WRs you mention they COMBINED, for exactly one play of longer than 50 yards. ONE. As the season progressed it really became clear we lacked a big play receiver.
Is that bad? How many 50+ yard plays are expected for a good offense?

No doubt. Probably could have won the Super Bowl that year too.

Poor choice of words on my part; I really meant we came up 2 plays short of running the table in the regular season. For all I know, KJ could have even asked to Redshirt.

I watched the replay this evening of the 2017 loss in Columbus. It was evident we didn't have a WR that scared them in the 4th quarter of that game. To play KJ or not play him, these are the types of questions one comes up with when you've spent too much time stuck at home in a global pandemic.
OTOH we didn’t need a big play WR in the 4th qtr to scare them. IIRC we needed about 3 first downs kick the FG and win. We got the ball at about the 45, little under 2 min, 3 time outs Championship teams , championship coaches make that drive

This program isn't going to be elite until it stops getting jumped in the 4th quarter.

Big game, 4th quarter lead, and the 3-man rush allows mediocre QBs to shred the defense. Then the no-huddle offense gets on the field for a 90-second three-and-out, leaving the totally gassed defense to get shredded again. That's what needs to end if they want to be elite.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
simple answer is no. KJ didn't have the WR route running, skills, and was really small in 2017. PSU didn't lose for lack of WR's .

Reactions: lockhavenlion3

KJ had exactly ONE catch of 50+ yards in 2018, so why would one assume he’d give us that capability as a true freshman deep off the bench?

When it comes to sports and the “what if” game, I’m a firm believer in the practice of “No looking back once you wake up the next morning.”
Analyze mistakes post-game then move on to the next challenge.
As a fan who has loved PSU football for decades, I hope I have better things to do Sunday than worry about what did or didn’t happen Saturday afternoon.
I’m sure Bucknuts fans could come up with just as many “what ifs” to make that same game an easier victory.

As nice as it would have been to win the two losses, we would have been Oklahoma'd out of the playoffs. If an appearance is all we are after, by all means, sure. Beyond some miracles, we weren't one of the two best teams that season.

If Reid dose not blow out his knee and Sickels stays for his senior year that team is undefeated in the Big 10, No need for Hamler if those two play.

When it comes to sports and the “what if” game, I’m a firm believer in the practice of “No looking back once you wake up the next morning.”
Analyze mistakes post-game then move on to the next challenge.
As a fan who has loved PSU football for decades, I hope I have better things to do Sunday than worry about what did or didn’t happen Saturday afternoon.
I’m sure Bucknuts fans could come up with just as many “what ifs” to make that same game an easier victory.

I agree with you. Still remember posters wanting to know what was going to happen if the team lost a certain game. Call me old school, but my reaction to that was always well you show up the next day at practice and get ready to beat the opponent.

No

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT