ADVERTISEMENT

Could Myles Martin Redshirt Next Year?

psuflyguy

Mar 23, 2013
I know this is a long shot, but given that tOSU graduates a bunch and could be rebuilding somewhat next year, might they redshirt Martin to keep him in the wrestling room another year? It would give him a much better chance to win another title, too. I'm just putting it out there to spur discussion. If the topic's been raised before, I apologize.

Looks to me like tOSU will have a nice team next year, AND they have 4 seniors-to-be (M. Jordan, McKenna, Campbell, and of course Martin), so they're losing even more to eligibility the following year.

My initial thought is doubt that he'll RS. Heinselman can come in and go right away at 125...and they also have Mead, who will be a sophomore. 174 could be Romero's, and 285 will be Singletary's.

Probably not a horrible idea. They could redshirt McKenna and Pletcher as well.

Come back with:

125- Heinselman/Decatur
133- Pletcher
141- McKenna
149- Hayes
157- Sasso
165- Mattox
174- Romero
184- Martin
197- Moore
Hwt- Singletary

Come back with:

125- Heinselman/Decatur
133- Pletcher
141- McKenna
149- Hayes
157- Sasso
165- Mattox
174- Romero
184- Martin
197- Moore
Hwt- Singletary
Interesting. Forgot McKenna delayed enrollment and hasn't taken a RS yet. The question is, in my mind, with 3 guys departing, take another 3 starters out of the mix, and give up on 2018-19 in the hopes of a stronger 2019-20 squad? PSU loses Nolf, Nickal, and Nevills next year, so at least between PSU and tOSU, could work out.

Interesting. Forgot McKenna delayed enrollment and hasn't taken a RS yet. The question is, in my mind, with 3 guys departing, take another 3 starters out of the mix, and give up on 2018-19 in the hopes of a stronger 2019-20 squad? PSU loses Nolf, Nickal, and Nevills next year, so at least between PSU and tOSU, could work out.

They could roll with capable guys in Quinn Kinner at 141 (RS in 2020) and Ethan Smith at 184. 133 could be a big hole, so maybe Pletcher wrestles in this scenario.

Martin is clearly the best option. Of course, he might want to instead focus on the 2020 Olympics.

Ethan Smith us having a good tanshirt year and might be ready to start then.

Also, Gavin Hoffman maybe could start a year at 184 before succeeding Moore at 197. His freestyle future is at 189.

If personal factors are considered, Martin has a much better shot at repeating as NCAA champ after Bo graduates.

Looks to me like tOSU will have a nice team next year, AND they have 4 seniors-to-be (M. Jordan, McKenna, Campbell, and of course Martin), so they're losing even more to eligibility the following year.

My initial thought is doubt that he'll RS. Heinselman can come in and go right away at 125...and they also have Mead, who will be a sophomore. 174 could be Romero's, and 285 will be Singletary's.
Maybe the next

Come back with:

125- Heinselman/Decatur
133- Pletcher
141- McKenna
149- Hayes
157- Sasso
165- Mattox
174- Romero
184- Martin
197- Moore
Hwt- Singletary

Which of those will sit out a dual with us. #planahead

If Nolf was not injured, they would have been sittin.
Exactly. Thought they had it in the bag, but they got ambushed. Full team, heavy twitter traffic, plush bus ride, the robes, etc.

Ryan and crew’s twitter feeds were like George Custer’s twitter feed if he had had that technology in mid-June 1876.

“No 1 id like to destroy more than the Lakota Sioux” @sittingbull1 @gallchief @horsecrazy #Lakotalosers #horsecav

Exactly. Thought they had it in the bag, but they got ambushed. Full team, heavy twitter traffic, plush bus ride, the robes, etc.

Ryan and crew’s twitter feeds were like George Custer’s twitter feed if he had had that technology in mid-June 1876.

“No 1 id like to destroy more than the Lakota Sioux” @sittingbull1 @gallchief @horsecrazy #Lakotalosers #horsecav

You win the internet imo for the foreseeable future. I have no idea what deranged mind concocted a Custer/Ryan comparison and even less idea why I can't stop laughing. I have visions of Ryan riding into battle wearing the pin chain.

You win the internet imo for the foreseeable future. I have no idea what deranged mind concocted a Custer/Ryan comparison and even less idea why I can't stop laughing. I have visions of Ryan riding into battle wearing the pin chain.
Haha! When I think of cocky people, Custer always pops up. The great book “Son of the Morning Star” lays out how rash he and the 7th Cavalry were during the prelude to battle.

Ryan no pale face given sun tanning. Ryan speaks with forked tongue!

I’ve said all along it would be a no brainer to redshirt Myles along with Pletcher and even McKenna to load up for another run similar to what Penn State did with Retherford a few years back. This would allow them to compete with the monster class coming in’s second year competing. Only guy who loses out is Micah Jordan who no longer has a redshirt and would wrestle his senior year in a rebuild. The one silver lining could be Micah could bump back down to a more natural 149 and Retherford graduated, and Hayes down to 141, if McKenna redshirted.

I’ve said all along it would be a no brainer to redshirt Myles along with Pletcher and even McKenna to load up for another run similar to what Penn State did with Retherford a few years back. This would allow them to compete with the monster class coming in’s second year competing. Only guy who loses out is Micah Jordan who no longer has a redshirt and would wrestle his senior year in a rebuild. The one silver lining could be Micah could bump back down to a more natural 149 and Retherford graduated, and Hayes down to 141, if McKenna redshirted.
Hmm, interesting. That would give tOSU another awesome team in two years. It also would probably make it a two horse race next year. PSU (Secretariat), and Iowa (Mr. Ed).

The biggest advantage of this scenario would be Nolf/Retherford/Nickal all graduated. But let’s not pretend PSU won’t simply reload, with Hall and Cenzo leading the rest. It does optimize tOSU’s chances though I believe. It also gives a guy like Gavin Hoffman, who came in to sit behind Martin and Moore for at least one season of eligibility, to come in and wrestle say 184 in place of Martin as a true freshman, and then redshirt a la Retherford his second season, and do so where Martin returns for his redshirt senior season and Moore’s as well.

Reactions: funkisfun12
Same goes with Quinn Kinner if McKenna shirts and Micah and Hayes stay where they are. He can come in at 141 as a true freshman, and then redshirt his second season.

The one fly in the ointment -- for both teams -- is the Olympic year.

Without going thru all the criteria: Hall, Cenzo, Manville, Martin, Moore, and McKenna might all be or become candidates for an Olympic shirt. (Maybe others between now and then ... Nick Lee? Brooks?)

Haha! When I think of cocky people, Custer always pops up. The great book “Son of the Morning Star” lays out how rash he and the 7th Cavalry were during the prelude to battle.
Read the book, but anytime I think of Custer, I picture Gary Cole as Custer, and it quickly morphs into Bill Lumbergh and goes down hill from there.

Hmm, interesting. That would give tOSU another awesome team in two years. It also would probably make it a two horse race next year. PSU (Secretariat), and Iowa (Mr. Ed).
John Smith's boys are putting together a nice horse next year, discount at your peril.

Reactions: kevin310
John Smith's boys are putting together a nice horse next year, discount at your peril.
Yes, yes they are . 2 NC contenders as far as I can see, Fix and Brock. Until they start showing more in March as of late, I'm not a believer.

Picc is an AA, Gefeller prolly too. Joe Joe will be back, but who knows how he'll do. Boo might get it together.

Weigel and White will also be likely AAs. Will be interesting to see how Smith handles the 141-157 and 157-174 logjams.

Yes, yes they are . 2 NC contenders as far as I can see, Fix and Brock. Until they start showing more in March as of late, I'm not a believer.[/QUOTE]

really? I thought OSU has shown up for the last couple years. One of us is missing something. Not saying it isn't me, but I have been impressed with how they have scored ate the NCAAs for a few years now. I remember about 10 years ago, they had a couple bad tourneys, but not recently.

Maybe you're right. I just don't recall many Cowboys finishing above seed recently at NCAA'S. Collica completely wet the bed last year, Rogers didn't impress, Crutchmer. For a team that was ranked #1 most of the year last year, they didn't show much. Even Heil wasn't all that impressive as a 2xer, and look at him now. Brock has "strange" losses on occasion, as good as he is. Hey, maybe they'll prove me wrong, only time will tell.

That's not quite fair to Rogers. He finished 5th, losing to Martinez and Massa, beat Steiert, Walsh, and Lewis.

Crutchmer did lose way too early, but so few guys lose in Round 1 and still place. He actually placed right at his seed.

Here were their seeds vs. placements:
- 125 Picc: 8 seed, finished 4th
- 133 Brock: 3, 5th
- 141 Heil: 1, 1st
- 149 Collica: 2, 1-2 DNP
- 157 Smith: 5, 4th
- 165 Rogers: 9, 5th
- 174 Crutchmer: 7, 7th
- 184 Boyd: 4, 6th
- 197 Weigel: 6, 6th
- 285 Schafer: 6, 1-2 DNP

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
That's not quite fair to Rogers. He finished 5th, losing to Martinez and Massa, beat Steiert, Walsh, and Lewis.

Crutchmer did lose way too early, but so few guys lose in Round 1 and still place. He actually placed right at his seed.
Ok, but don't ya think that Rogers was supposed to beat those guys? I'm admittedly too lazy to look it up right now, but do you know if Rogers wrestled to seed?

Ok, but don't ya think that Rogers was supposed to beat those guys? I'm admittedly too lazy to look it up right now, but do you know if Rogers wrestled to seed?
Ships crossed in the night, as I was looking it up!

To be more specific about Rogers' tourney:
- seeded 9th
- WBF unseeded Fogarty NDSU
- WBF 8 Cottrell WVU
- L 1 Martinez 10-5
- dec 11 Steiert UNI 10-4
- dec 5 Walsh 12-11
- L 2 Massa 10-4
- dec 6 Lewis 9-6

So he beat 3 higher seeds, lost only to the top 2 seeds, placed 4 spots higher than his seed, and got some bonus. Pretty good tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT