ADVERTISEMENT

Could Julian Fleming be Alabama bound?

If he goes to a team that is playing football while OSU is not, it would be ridiculous to not "allow" it. The NCAA is a joke, we all know that. As much as I don't want to see PSU players jump ship, I would be shocked if some didn't. Grass isn't always greener, but at least there's grass.

I don't agree with that.
Your "opinions" lately have not been based on much that is either factual or well researched.

FYI, Todd McShay released his initial 2021 NFL Mock Draft 1st round picks yesterday, and #10 is Alabama WR DeVonta Smith and #11 is Alabama WR Jayled Waddle. Julian Fleming would not be seeing much playing time at Alabama this fall even if he was able to transfer (which, for a multitude of reasons, I highly doubt).

Your "opinions" lately have not been based on much that is either factual or well researched.

FYI, Todd McShay released his initial 2021 NFL Mock Draft 1st round picks yesterday, and #10 is Alabama WR DeVonta Smith and #11 is Alabama WR Jayled Waddle. Julian Fleming would not be seeing much playing time at Alabama this fall even if he was able to transfer (which, for a multitude of reasons, I highly doubt).
It’s not 1984 anymore- more than 2 WRs play on college football teams now

Reactions: bison13

FYI, Todd McShay released his initial 2021 NFL Mock Draft 1st round picks yesterday, and #10 is Alabama WR DeVonta Smith and #11 is Alabama WR Jayled Waddle. Julian Fleming would not be seeing much playing time at Alabama this fall.
wow...ok...seems like you are having a bad day.

I think the term used was "see the field". Alabama, per usual, is loaded at WR. But they'll play six if not more WR. I think it is very unlikely any player is going to see the field in 2020 or the first half of 2021. Big Ten players' best hope is for August of 2021. I'll be shocked to see a B1G game in January, February or March.

Hope so; won't have to play against for the 4 years, but wait we will be meeting Alabama a couple of times in Championship game.

Does it ultimately matter whether he ends up a bust at his original school or a new one?

It’s not 1984 anymore- more than 2 WRs play on college football teams now
Thanks for the reminder --- I didn't know that :(
But I do know the WR talent on Alabama below the projected NFL first round WR's Smith and Waddle isn't exactly chopped liver either and that Fleming, though immensely talented, still has some things to work on before seeing meaningful PT there. The key word is meaningful.

Thanks for the reminder --- I didn't know that :(
But I do know the WR talent on Alabama below the projected NFL first round WR's Smith and Waddle isn't exactly chopped liver either and that Fleming, though immensely talented, still has some things to work on before seeing meaningful PT there. The key word is meaningful.
Yeah, but the WR room at OSU is stacked too. If he can play there, he can play at Bama

No one is saying he’s going to walk in and play every down. But the appeal of actually playing football instead of practicing for 12 more months looks pretty good to me

Reactions: RU31trap
wow...ok...seems like you are having a bad day.

I think the term used was "see the field". Alabama, per usual, is loaded at WR. But they'll play six if not more WR. I think it is very unlikely any player is going to see the field in 2020 or the first half of 2021. Big Ten players' best hope is for August of 2021. I'll be shocked to see a B1G game in January, February or March.
You're right that my tone was inconsiderate. I'll blame it on being fried mentally after reading your marathon match yesterday when you tried to defend Trump's "Kung Flu" statements to another poster about 20 times in the same post saying the same thing each time (thank you, Nate, for finally intervening by interjecting a football related post). That said, I accept your point re "see the field". I was thinking more "see meaningful playing time". Fact is, both talking about something that will probably never happen anyway, so it's certainly not worth arguing about. My apologies.

Yeah, but the WR room at OSU is stacked too. If he can play there, he can play at Bama

No one is saying he’s going to walk in and play every down. But the appeal of actually playing football instead of practicing for 12 more months looks pretty good to me
I agree with everything you just said.

If he goes to a team that is playing football while OSU is not, it would be ridiculous to not "allow" it. The NCAA is a joke, we all know that. As much as I don't want to see PSU players jump ship, I would be shocked if some didn't. Grass isn't always greener, but at least there's grass.

if he were going to do this, he would have to move faster than we have ever seen one of these deals happen. given Fields, Patterson and others, he would likely win, but no runway left now to get into the new school. unlike where UM needed Patterson, BAMA probably does not need Julian as much to put effort on supporting the process (sorry forgot that UMich did not help Patterson).

Reactions: Alphabets
if he were going to do this, he would have to move faster than we have ever seen one of these deals happen. given Fields, Patterson and others, he would likely win, but no runway left now to get into the new school. unlike where UM needed Patterson, BAMA probably does not need Julian as much to put effort on supporting the process (sorry forgot that UMich did not help Patterson).
Also, there are so many questions and scenarios that could play out. What if he transfers and Bama closes up shop 2 weeks later? Does he get to go back to OSU? Would they even want him back? It's just a mess. I don't know if there is a right answer, but these "kids" are old enough to make grown-up decisions. They just need to know that decisions have consequences and they need to be prepared for any and all of them no matter what they choose.

Rumors are swirling that with the BIG football shutdown and with former Southern Columbia QB, Stone Hollenbach being a preferred walk-on at Alabama, Julian could be looking at hitting the portal with Alabama as his destination. People need to remember that he doesn't want to be playing in the BIG as a 21 year old freshman in 2021 and watching his NFL time clock move forward another year. He knows a spring season in the BIG isn't guaranteed either for 2021 and the SEC is going to play this fall. This might all be BS, but I heard it from a SC source.
How man scholarships does Alabama have available? Even if they had no conference rules in terms of number of transfers per year etc. Wouldn't you use those (scholarships and transfers) on a QB (Fields) that would likely be a significant upgrade immediately? I don't see Fleming as an upgrade today.....over what Alabama has on the field. Also, what no one ever considers is that a coach will use the greatest discretion in greeting new "stars" lest he lose(chemistry) those he already has in his locker room. That's a question only the coach can answer.

Last edited:
please note also that they were 1A for years - our of 4 classifications.

They are now 2A but in 6 classifications

I edited my original post from calling them single A after I checked to confirm; I lost track when they changed the classes. It's an area of schools with declining enrollment, and programs that have a hard time suiting up 40 kids aren't going to offer the best competition. I don't live in the area anymore, but have family that does. There have been rumors that the Columbia county high schools may consolidate, but there seems to be a fair bit of inertia with Berwick.

I edited my original post from calling them single A after I checked to confirm; I lost track when they changed the classes. It's an area of schools with declining enrollment, and programs that have a hard time suiting up 40 kids aren't going to offer the best competition. I don't live in the area anymore, but have family that does. There have been rumors that the Columbia county high schools may consolidate, but there seems to be a fair bit of inertia with Berwick.

Makes sense
SCA “suits up 60” and MCA has had years where they had less then 30 suited up

Makes sense
SCA “suits up 60” and MCA has had years where they had less then 30 suited up
How far the mighty have fallen. When I played it was the exact opposite. By the way, I see my old friend Jeff Greco is the team doctor. I haven't seen him in 40 years. He married a classmate of mine...my late wife's best friend. I heard that didn't end well.

Reactions: colt21
As someone who grew up fearing Jazz D's teams, that's both remarkable and sad.

who did you play for and when ?

it’s weird cause it’s more of a socioeconomic thing than anything

there are still a lot of good athletes but people who are athletes of means tend to move to SCA and people from out of the area who do not have means move to Shamokin and MC

both goes school districts are so poor now that every kid can get free lunch and breakfast

Last edited:
Mt Carmel isn't in Columbia Co.

Actually, Mt Carmel Area School District does cover a small portion of Columbia County. I just don’t know how many school aged kids live in Centralia any more. Like wise, Southern Columbia Area School District also includes Ralpho Township in Northumberland County.

there are still a lot of good athletes but people who are athletes of means tend to love to SCA and people from out of the area who do not have means move to Shamokin and MC

both goes school districts are so poor now that every kid can get free lunch and breakfast

I didn't play in high school, but I grew up in Berwick in the 60's/70's graduating in '81. I think the first time Berwick won was in '77, and it was a miracle. Most of the games were blow out loses. Berwick's golden years were after my time.

there are still a lot of good athletes but people who are athletes of means tend to love to SCA and people from out of the area who do not have means move to Shamokin and MC

Does anyone remember when Jazz had his own radio show on Saturday Mornings in Mt. Carmel? Bernie Romanoski had one in Shamokin as well....although I believe Bernie was retired from coaching at that time.I had the opportunity to be on both as a young coach. It reminds me of how much football meant to the coal regions at one time.

Does anyone remember when Jazz had his own radio show on Saturday Mornings in Mt. Carmel? Bernie Romanoski had one in Shamokin as well....although I believe Bernie was retired from coaching at that time.I had the opportunity to be on both as a young coach. It reminds me of how much football meant to the coal regions at one time.

Yes - he also had a TV show where they would review game film

Reactions: marshall23
I didn't play in high school, but I grew up in Berwick in the 60's/70's graduating in '81. I think the first time Berwick won was in '77, and it was a miracle. Most of the games were blow out loses. Berwick's golden years were after my time.

I graduated in 83
I played during the years when Berwick was getting good !

we killed them as a Soph
Lost 22-8 as a Jr
And lost 14-13 as a Sr when we couldn’t convert a 2-pt conversion for the win

John Diminick had a 99 yard run on a “tight end - end around” in that game.

The next year Berwick won the USA Today mythical national championship

not sure what you mean ? - I know it’s not, MC is in Northumberland County
Maybe i misunderstood your makes sense post replying to the post about Columbia Co. consolidating schools.

Actually, Mt Carmel Area School District does cover a small portion of Columbia County. I just don’t know how many school aged kids live in Centralia any more. Like wise, Southern Columbia Area School District also includes Ralpho Township in Northumberland County.
Pretty sure that Centralia is in the North Schuylkill school district.

Not sure where those rumors of Columbia County schools consolidating are coming from, but there is absolutely no talk of that. In my position I would be one of the first to know of it! People always say that the two smallest schools, Millville and Benton should consolidate but unless the state does it, it won’t happen.

While Centralia is an island surrounded by Conyngham Township, it is not part of it. For some reason it is part of MCA, not NS. One of those odd bits of trivia that I remember from reading ‘Fire Underground’ a few years ago. According to MCA’s website, Centralia became part of their district in 1951.

https://www.mca.k12.pa.us/wp/history/

Last edited:
Reactions: colt21
Not sure where those rumors of Columbia County schools consolidating are coming from, but there is absolutely no talk of that. In my position I would be one of the first to know of it! People always say that the two smallest schools, Millville and Benton should consolidate but unless the state does it, it won’t happen.

Small towns are rumor factories, and most of the people I know still in the area are older folks who spend lots of time talking over coffee with other long time locals. It was around the time Myers, Coughlin, and GAR merged in Wilkes Barre, so that would be enough to spark them. Somebody always knows somebody...

Maybe i misunderstood your makes sense post replying to the post about Columbia Co. consolidating schools.

yea in re-reading I think you did

I kind of blended the thought of the Columbia county schools merging with the data that MC (in Northumberland Cty) has really low numbers

However - it would also make sense if MC and Shamokin would merge - although I think people’s heads would pop off their shoulders at the thought of that happening !!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Actually Centralia was one of the funniest of all

located in Columbia County
Students went to MC in Northumberland county (4 miles away)

but located literally a stones throw from Schuylkill county and only a mile and a half from Ashland

then if you lived in the Columbia County side of Mt Carmel Estates (yea they have that here), which is a mile from MC SD and literally across the street from the Northumberland county line - you were in the North Schuylkill SD in Skook County

funnier yet you had to drive THRU Centralia to get to school (which was a good 20-25 minutes away), and Centralia goes to MC

Actually Centralia was one of the funniest of all

located in Columbia County
Students went to MC in Northumberland county (4 miles away)

but located literally a stones throw from Schuylkill county and only a mile and a half from Ashland

then if you lived in the Columbia County side of Mt Carmel Estates (yea they have that here), which is a mile from MC SD and literally across the street from the Northumberland county line - you were in the North Schuylkill SD in Skook County

funnier yet you had to drive THRU Centralia to get to school (which was a good 20-25 minutes away), and Centralia goes to MC
I knew that area went to NS, never realizing that Centralia went to MC.

I knew that area went to NS, never realizing that Centralia went to MC.

yea it is definitely weird when you cross a street and go thru a town that is in the “across the street SD” to get to your SD

yea it is definitely weird when you cross a street and go thru a town that is in the “across the street SD” to get to your SD

Bloomsburg School District is actually separated into two. Main & Beaver townships to the west are cut off from the eastern portion (Bloomsburg, Montour & Hemlock townships) by Catawissa township (Southern Columbia) and Scott township (Central Columbia).

ColumbiaCounty.png

That’s nothing compared to the Dauphin County school districts.

DauphinCounty.png

Reactions: colt21 and bison13
ADVERTISEMENT