ADVERTISEMENT

Cotton Bowl vs. UND

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL - 100% agree.

Let's say that a bowl might get 30K each from PSU and ND and 15K locals who just want to see a good game for 75K of attendance.

But said bowl is altruistic and states that we want to share with the XX bowl as we are team players. So, let ND go to the XX bowl to spread the attendance out and we will take Central Florida or Washington with their 10K fans and wind up to 30K = 15K + 10K for 55K total attendance.

If any bowl could snatch PSU and ND or OSU and ND, they would grab it and never give a thought to, or shed a tear for, Bowl XX.

Aside from the Orange Bowl, none of the other bowls get to choose their match-ups, and even the Orange Bowl is constrained by formula,

I wish people would grasp this

I'm not really clear on who decides on the matchups for the Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach Bowls. I know the teams available are based on the rankings, but does the CFP committee assign the matchups? Or do the bowls take turns selecting from the available teams? Or is it some sort of collaborative process between the CFP committee and the bowls?

I thought that once we had the playoffs we dropped any conference tie ins for NY6

Nope.

Rose: Big Ten vs. Pac XII
Sugar: Big XII vs. SEC
Orange: ACC vs. ND/SEC2/Big Ten 2

These Bowls will never have a "Group of 5" team.

Peach, Fiesta & Cotton are "at large" vs " at large/Group of 5"

Reactions: TJD88
I'm not really clear on who decides on the matchups for the Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach Bowls. I know the teams available are based on the rankings, but does the CFP committee assign the matchups? Or do the bowls take turns selecting from the available teams? Or is it some sort of collaborative process between the CFP committee and the bowls?

My understanding is that the committee slots the teams and geography is considered plus they "try" avoid repeat matchups. I don't know for sure but I'd wager the bowls have some kind of input assuming they can reach agreements. I'm guessing there's some kind of rotation for the group of 5 team as we know none of those three bowls really want those teams

If PSU gets matched up with UCF then I would rather play in Florida vs an SEC team.....now if we can get ND...that would be awesome!

Item 1 -schedule issued by conference several years ago. Not sure the algorithm used but I doubt Delaney sits in z room figuring out ways to screw over PSU specifically.

Item 2 MSU is not a difficult place to play.

Item 4 - it's not bizarre and is a good safety measure.
On #4, this is something that has changed in the last few years. We lost a firefighter in Columbus to a lightning strike before a game a couple of years ago--outside waiting to use a porta-potty. Not tOSU but the Crew, and he survived for a year or so, but.... We had three similar weather delays (a year or two after the firefighter was struck) last season for the Crew--one of which the weather didn't come in for almost 40 min (they could have gotten the first half in)--but when it came? Wow! (Crew Stadium is a much smaller version of the Beav--metal bleachers for the most part.) 5 years ago, we would have played through much of that.

Oh, #savethecrew

On #4, this is something that has changed in the last few years. We lost a firefighter in Columbus to a lightning strike before a game a couple of years ago--outside waiting to use a porta-potty. Not tOSU but the Crew, and he survived for a year or so, but.... We had three similar weather delays (a year or two after the firefighter was struck) last season for the Crew--one of which the weather didn't come in for almost 40 min (they could have gotten the first half in)--but when it came? Wow! (Crew Stadium is a much smaller version of the Beav--metal bleachers for the most part.) 5 years ago, we would have played through much of that.

Oh, #savethecrew
Yeah lightning and being exposed to it are not a good idea.

Oh, #savethecrew

Went through this at Rock on the Range this past May. Video/audio alert to evacuate the stadium. Ended up being 4 hours long before they let us back inside and resumed the concert. It's here to stay. They are getting rid of the liability on their end. Like you said, the bad weather was nearly two hours away that day and we were still evacuated.

Need to be in top 9 to more or less assure NY6. Only once has team in that group been excluded. If still at #10 keep fingers crossed.

we now know that the ACC winner will have 1 loss and loser in champ game will have 2 losses. If it is true that we still have conference tie ins for NY6 then assume the loser of Clemson and Miami will be in the Orange. the winner in playoff.

Oklahoma should win out = so that would put them in playoff, and TCU and no other team from BIG 12 will be in.

If BAMA plays to form they will beat Auburn and Georgia. That will put Auburn out of any NY6, and Georgia a possibility a possible NY6 bid.

IF Wisky wins out, then OSU would be out of the NY6 with 3 losses including 2 in BIG. that would be our best scenario for BIG.

PAC12 could still be problematic if USC wins out with 2 losses. this seems like a possible scenario.

so if the playoffs are Clemson, BAMA, Oklahoma and Wisky

NY6 (4 games would have)

Miami with ACC tie-in and need 7 more teams from

PSU (if we beat Maryland convincingly), ND (if they beat Stanford), Georgia, USC/Stanford/Washington.

it would seem we are in under that model. we have to beat Maryland and hammer them = leave no doubt = no more Nebraska fiascos.

we now know that the ACC winner will have 1 loss and loser in champ game will have 2 losses. If it is true that we still have conference tie ins for NY6 then assume the loser of Clemson and Miami will be in the Orange. the winner in playoff.

Oklahoma should win out = so that would put them in playoff, and TCU and no other team from BIG 12 will be in.

If BAMA plays to form they will beat Auburn and Georgia. That will put Auburn out of any NY6, and Georgia a possibility a possible NY6 bid.

IF Wisky wins out, then OSU would be out of the NY6 with 3 losses including 2 in BIG. that would be our best scenario for BIG.

PAC12 could still be problematic if USC wins out with 2 losses. this seems like a possible scenario.

NY6 (4 games would have)

PSU (if we beat Maryland convincingly), ND (if they beat Stanford), Georgia, USC/Stanford/Washington.

it would seem we are in under that model. we have to beat Maryland and hammer them = leave no doubt = no more Nebraska fiascos.

It would probably take TCU beating Oklahoma next weekend to leave Penn State short of the NY6 at this point, but it will be MUCH clearer after tomorrow.

It would probably take TCU beating Oklahoma next weekend to leave Penn State short of the NY6 at this point, but it will be MUCH clearer after tomorrow.

Absolutely no chance PSU is out of NY6 if we win today. None.

NY6 (4 games would have)

Penn State just has to win. All that matters is the number of losses.

Anyone that believes if we win we're in doesn't understand how this system works. We're likely in. Alabama winning is very important. Alabama losing can screw a lot of teams including us.

Absolutely no chance PSU is out of NY6 if we win today. None.

If TCU wins, I could see the 12 NY6 teams being (in no particular order) Miami, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, TCU, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Pac-12 champion, and top Group of 5 champion, leaving Penn State out (also assumes Ohio State wins the Big Ten and Notre Dame beats Stanford).

The way TCU looked against Oklahoma the first time and Baylor in the early going yesterday, I don't give them much of a chance against Oklahoma next week. I think Auburn makes the NY6 no matter what; Georgia could miss it by losing out.

If TCU wins, I could see the 12 NY6 teams being (in no particular order) Miami, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, TCU, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Pac-12 champion, and top Group of 5 champion, leaving Penn State out (also assumes Ohio State wins the Big Ten and Notre Dame beats Stanford).

The way TCU looked against Oklahoma the first time and Baylor in the early going yesterday, I don't give them much of a chance against Oklahoma next week. I think Auburn makes the NY6 no matter what; Georgia could miss it by losing out.

why would Auburn be in if they lose today? they would have 3 losses and not be in a conf championship game. if they doesnt eliminate someone nothing does.

why would Auburn be in if they lose today? they would have 3 losses and not be in a conf championship game. if they doesnt eliminate someone nothing does.

Well, one thing is that there won't be any other 2-or-fewer loss Power 5 teams left to make the NY6; even if Auburn does end up ranked behind Notre Dame and Penn State (I think 3-loss Auburn could stay ahead of both at 2 losses), they'd still be the last team in the NY6 (ahead of some 3-loss conference championship losers).

That win against Georgia, big wins against good SEC teams, and their losses at Clemson, LSU, and theoretically against Alabama all keep their resume up.

There's nothing that says they can't get in at 9-3...they will still be in the top 10. Probably ahead of us. That Georgia win carries a lot of weight and they don't have any bad losses. It would be helpful if Bama destroyed them.

Bama losing today along with TCU winning the Big XII and I think we're out unless Stanford beats ND. Things are still in our favor but it isn't a lock like some keep pretending. Bowls can't just take teams because they travel well now.

If PSU gets matched up with UCF then I would rather play in Florida vs an SEC team.....now if we can get ND...that would be awesome!

Agree. Beating UCF wouldn't do much to elevate our ranking. a lot like Wisky's bowl against W Michigan last year.

Assuming we make the NY6 I think we'll either get the Pac XII champ in the Fiesta or the Cotton. I think the G5 team is stuck in the Peach this year. They'll probably get an SEC team...to help them sell out.

Auburn is getting hot at the right time, but one loss kills them. They have one quality win over Georgia, who was shown to be very one dimensional. The Clemson loss, albeit early, isn't making them a better glamour pick over a potential slew of two loss teams. The LSU loss is damning. Only team (in this discussion) with a worse loss is the Buckeyes blowout courtesy of Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT