ADVERTISEMENT

Cory Clark Injury???

dunkej01

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
d@mn shame if this proves out. Hate to see injuries, worse to see to hard nosed competitors like Clark fall victim. FWIW if Cortez couldnt win it, CC was my guy. Not much of a fan of zane richards, other than his parents choice to name him Zane (even if spelled funny #just joking).

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cory-clark-to-miss-sdsu.171471/

Hope whatever it is, it is something he can overcome.
Tough to sit most of year and come back at peak form though.

Sounds like J. Smith may continue to be out for for some time due to injury. Not as serious as Clark but it is keeping him out of the lineup and creating some weight issues as a result.

From a post about John Smith's radio show:

"john indicated that smith has a injury and not just the one he was dealing with last year. he said his weight is a problem right now because he got really big over the summer with coach g and with the injury he hasn't been able to cut well."

Under normal circumstances a redshirt would make a lot of sense however OSU has great chance to win the championship this year. They are going to need JoJo in the lineup.

Last edited:
Sounds like J. Smith may continue to be out for for some time due to injury. Not as serious as Clark but it is keeping him out of the lineup and creating some weight issues as a result.

"john indicated that smith has a injury and not just the one he was dealing with last year. he said his weight is a problem right now because he got really big over the summer with coach g and with the injury he hasn't been able to cut well."

Thats some raw meat there when compared to typical coach speak.

Article says they hope it is precautionary, and expected to only miss one match.

It wasnt the article I was drawing attention to, it was more about Gobblins posts.

For those that arent familiar with the HR, Gobblin is among a handful of people there that more times than not has decent info, especially when it comes to the kids in the room.

Under normal circumstances a redshirt would make a lot of sense however OSU has great chance to win the championship this year. They are going to need JoJo in the lineup.

...then move Jojo up....

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
It does stink for the young man...and the general tone of this thread is what it should be IN MY OPINION.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Injuries are the worst part of any sport! Everyone hopes to have their best against the "other guys" best and let the chips fall where they may. If this is a serious injury, this one sucks a little extra as it's to a top ranked SR trying to go out #1...hopefully he has a speedy recovery so we can watch him and Cortez duke it out a couple times!

It's a sport, I'm just a fan but this hurts. I was ranked #2 in the state and tore up my knee in a dual meet against a turd opponent before the state qualifier (divisionals). I won it, but it got worse and was wrestling on one leg at state basically and went 2-2. I had beat 3/4 top guys during the season.

It hurt, but nothing compared to what Cory (or insert any top guy) feels when they get this close and lose due to injury....without firing a shot at NCAAs. I hope he at least gets the chance.

It hurt, but nothing compared to what Cory (or insert any top guy) feels when they get this close and lose due to injury....without firing a shot at NCAAs. I hope he at least gets the chance.

Couldn't agree more.

There is a healthy rivalry between PSU and Iowa (and their fans). Most/all PSU fans would certainly be rooting for Cortez if he were to meet Clark at NCAAs. However, as fans of the sport, I think that all PSU fans hope that all wrestlers, regardless of which singlet they wear, are healthy enough to compete at Nationals. I felt bad for McD when he was wrestling injured as a senior, or for Ness when his injuries made him a shell of himself at Nationals. These guys are warriors, and while injuries do happen, in a perfect world they would always be healthy for their last go-around at Nationals.

Tough break, especially after back-to-back runner up finishes. This could have been his year.

Cory is one of my favorite all time hawkeyes, and as chief said this hurts. I felt sick for Clark last night, I don't know the severity of the upper body injury but Gobblin seems to think its pretty bad, and I believe him. I'm just hoping and praying that he can somehow rehab himself to a high enough level where he can make a DSJ-2012-esque run at B1G's and NCAAs on a bum knee, except in this case it will probably be a bum shoulder, a la McDonough :(. I had to miss my JR season of HS due to shoulder surgery and i was devastated back then, I can't imagine how Clark must feel. The only thing that gives me optimism is I know that Clark has that gritty, grinder, find a way, tough, no excuses mentality that most of the top ranked guys have, and many of your PSU athletes have too. When he's been injured in the past he's just said "Ya know, my mind is at 100% so my body is feeling 100%."

Sorry to go on a rant, this has been the cherry on top of a stressful week. Also as a hawk fan appreciate the well wishes, I think most fans have the same mentality of wanting to see all of the best teams at full health go at it.

Last edited:
Cory is one of my favorite all time hawkeyes, and as chief said this hurts. I felt sick for Clark last night, I don't know the severity of the upper body injury but Gobblin seems to think its pretty bad, and I believe him. I'm just hoping and praying that he can someone rehab himself to a high enough level where he can make a DSJ-2012-esque run at B1G's and NCAAs on a bum knee, except in this case it will probably be a bum shoulder, a la McDonough :(. I had to miss my JR season of HS due to shoulder surgery and i was devastated back then, I can't imagine how Clark must feel. The only thing that gives me optimism is I know that Clark has that gritty, grinder, find a way, tough, no excuses mentality that most of the top ranked guys have, and many of your PSU athletes have too. When he's been injured in the past he's just said "Ya know, my mind is at 100% so my body is feeling 100%."

Sorry to go on a rant, this has been the cherry on top of a stressful week. Also as a hawk fan appreciate the well wishes, I think most fans have the same mentality of wanting to see all of the best teams at full health go at it.
You're a good dude Lax. I feel bad for Cory, his teammates, and Hawk fans. I hope he makes it back for nationals if for no other reason than a standing ovation from ALL fans for a great career. He may surprise us, and I hope he does.

My bad....I thought he was doing a play on words....I thought he was suggesting Lax (from HR) fill in for CC...but I checked the Iowa roster and there really was a Laux on the team. I'll just crawl back into my hole.o_O

I thought it might have been "Lox and Bagels" or something along those lines...but yeah, I got Laux now for the Hawks stepping up at 133.

My bad....I thought he was doing a play on words....I thought he was suggesting Lax (from HR) fill in for CC...but I checked the Iowa roster and there really was a Laux on the team. I'll just crawl back into my hole.o_O

Phil is a good wrestler, transferred to NW last year but came back when the coach got fired. He would start on a lot of D1 teams. A tall order for him to make some noise because one can only progress so much being in the room but it's nice to have him in dual situations to win some and keep it close in others.

It's a sport, I'm just a fan but this hurts. I was ranked #2 in the state and tore up my knee in a dual meet against a turd opponent before the state qualifier (divisionals). I won it, but it got worse and was wrestling on one leg at state basically and went 2-2. I had beat 3/4 top guys during the season.

Hope it's not as bad as it sounds AZ. The kids a stud and hate hearing bad news from such a worthy opponent. Praying for a quick and full recovery. Hope to meet y'all in St Louis this year. Best of luck!!

No worries, but Lax was at least 174.......in his prime:)

Reactions: LaxHawk174
I have known Cory's mom and step dad for many years, and I can't imagine how upsetting this must be. Cory has lived the sport since he was very young. Cory has a fighter's mentality and is a total warrior . I hope this is more precautionary than anything. The thing that worries me is Cory missing a match like this against a very worthy opponent. Clark is the type of guy who will wrestle anyone anywhere, so I do imagine the injury is serious to some extent. I pray I'm wrong.

Edit update- I'm wrong it would seem. I hear it is not a season ending thing at all on Cory will be back either by Midlands or shortly thereafter. He might need a brace/tape job but if it would have been post season he could have went last night. The same person did tell me Miklus from Mizzu is done for the year and needs surgery. Sad news for certain as Willie is another great young man.

Last edited:
Hope it's not as bad as it sounds AZ. The kids a stud and hate hearing bad news from such a worthy opponent. Praying for a quick and full recovery. Hope to meet y'all in St Louis this year. Best of luck!!
Hi GOLDBANGER how the heck are ya? Will hope to see you at St. Louis me and Dan will be at the Marriott ST.Louis Grand on Washington Ave.
Will give you my email and send me your phone number and when I get Dans cell number will send it to you. Maybe if you arrive on Wed

Hey GOLDBANGER how u doing my friend? Here is my email addy send me a message and that way maybe we can find a way to hook up again at nationals.
actionjackson56013@yahoo.com..

Yes, such a bad deal for Cory. Gobblin knows what he is talking about can trust that man.
Cory will wrestle some time again even if they have to take the arm off...one tough dude like McD. was but no way I don't think he will be able to perform like he has and that just sucks.
Thanks guys for all the respect you have showed to him...we as fans can piss back and forth but good fans never like to see injuries. These kids work so hard in the toughest sport of all hard practices,cut weight or manage weight and still perform in the class room..Ok rant is over just send me a email and will reply with cell number so we can hook up..Be safe and well GOLDBANGER.

I sure hope Clark gets back to make a run of it his last year. I want that for all kids.

For any PSU fans who think that this could potentially help PSU in March--I think the opposite. tOSU is looking quite good, and Clark would be a great challenge to Tomasello.

But, the biggest thing is I hope for his own sake that Clark will at least get another shot. Now, if he wrestles Cortez, I'll certainly be pulling for Cortez!

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I sure hope Clark gets back to make a run of it his last year. I want that for all kids.

For any PSU fans who think that this could potentially help PSU in March--I think the opposite. tOSU is looking quite good, and Clark would be a great challenge to Tomasello.

But, the biggest thing is I hope for his own sake that Clark will at least get another shot. Now, if he wrestles Cortez, I'll certainly be pulling for Cortez!
That's great!

Anyone who has ever been injured, and that happens to almost all of us to some degree, knows how frustrating it can be. I cringe every time I see a guy go down and have to be helped off the mat for medical attention, no matter what team they are on. Hopefully Clark will get past whatever happened and be ready in time to give it his best shot this year.

Reactions: papa_ed
Hi GOLDBANGER how the heck are ya? Will hope to see you at St. Louis me and Dan will be at the Marriott ST.Louis Grand on Washington Ave.
Will give you my email and send me your phone number and when I get Dans cell number will send it to you. Maybe if you arrive on Wed

Hey GOLDBANGER how u doing my friend? Here is my email addy send me a message and that way maybe we can find a way to hook up again at nationals.
actionjackson56013@yahoo.com..

Yes, such a bad deal for Cory. Gobblin knows what he is talking about can trust that man.
Cory will wrestle some time again even if they have to take the arm off...one tough dude like McD. was but no way I don't think he will be able to perform like he has and that just sucks.
Thanks guys for all the respect you have showed to him...we as fans can piss back and forth but good fans never like to see injuries. These kids work so hard in the toughest sport of all hard practices,cut weight or manage weight and still perform in the class room..Ok rant is over just send me a email and will reply with cell number so we can hook up..Be safe and well GOLDBANGER.

I'll shoot you an email this coming week my friend. We are staying at the Missouri Athletic Club, same place we always stay in St Louis.

ADVERTISEMENT