ADVERTISEMENT

Cornell

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
Since Roar's 133 and 141 weight is generating discussion about Arijau and Yianni, I'll go with Cornell's lineup next.

125 – Baughman (Jr)

A two-year starter going 25-13 as the starter @125 in 2017 and 23-9 in 2018 after moving back down from 133 to become the starter again @ 125 midway through the season (replacing Russo who wasn't doing very well). He somehow didn’t qualify for NCAAs either year despite having some quality wins (especially in 2017).

133 – Tucker (Sr)

He went 23-12 as a first year starter last year, going 1-2 at the NCAA tournament. Despite the solid season, he will probably lose his starting spot to a pretty good incoming freshman.

133 – Arijau (Fr)

He went 9-1 wrestling for the Fingers Lake Wrestling Club last year (including a win against Tucker). <Note: I saw the speculation that Arijau may go at 125. I'll believe it when I see it.>

141 – Diakomihalis (So)

An epic true freshman campaign sporting a 37-1 record and NCAA title. For now, I’m assuming he stays at 141. I just don’t see him jumping a weight coming off an ACL injury.

149 – Koll (Sr)

A starter @141 in 2017 going 18-15 and @149 in 2018 going 9-6.

157 – Stroker (Jr)

He won the starting spot over Simaz last year, going 14-9 and is looking to be Cornell’s full-time starter this year.

165 – Chavez (Sr)

Chavez went 23-6 as a first year starter last year. In one of the surprises of the tournament, he came in as the #16 seed and came out of the 165 weight class meat grinder with a 7th place finish.

174 – Womack (Sr)

Womack went 36-11 and finished #8 at 165 in 2017. He moved up to 174 (going 18-11) and qualified again last year but went 0-2 in the tournament. He did almost have a monumental upset against BoJo in the 1st round.

184 – Dean (So)

Dean had a very solid freshman campaign going 32-6 and finishing 8th at the tournament (from the 9 seed).

197 – Darmstadt (So)

Darmstadt had a great run heading into the tourney earning the #2 seed. He had a rough ending to the tournament losing his last 3 matches and finished the season with a 34-4 record and a 6th place finish.

H – Sweany (Sr)

A two-time NCAA qualifier, going 0-2 in 2016 and 2-2 last year with a 21-8 record.

H- Honis (Sr)

Honis went 29-16 in 2017 as the 197 starter en route to qualifying for the NCAA tournament (going 1-2).

Cornell returns all of their starters from last year, including a national champ and 4 other former AAs, and adds a dynamic freshman. This is a pretty good looking team. Chavez might not be able to replicate his tournament result from last year and someone might be able to catch Yianni (I’d still take Yianni against the field), but there is good potential for more points at most of the other weights so they should be able to surpass their 48 point/7th place finish from last year.

Cornell returning a very solid team! I wish PSU would get them on the schedule for at least for a few years.

I have no direct knowledge of this, but I have seen threads on this board and others that leads me to believe that PSU staff and Cornell staff are not the best of friends, so I dont think this will happen any time soon.

Both solid programs, both have a loyal fan base and are fairly close for either fan base to travel. with that said, I think there is some truth to there being an issue between the 2 programs..
Maybe some day

...Cornell is still recovering from having their string of EIWA titles ended last year by Lehigh...

Cornell returning a very solid team! I wish PSU would get them on the schedule for at least for a few years.

I have no direct knowledge of this, but I have seen threads on this board and others that leads me to believe that PSU staff and Cornell staff are not the best of friends, so I dont think this will happen any time soon.

Both solid programs, both have a loyal fan base and are fairly close for either fan base to travel. with that said, I think there is some truth to there being an issue between the 2 programs..
Maybe some day
I agree, wrestling Cornell as an OOC match makes much sense. However, as you alluded to there is no huge "boy I like those guys" feelings radiating from Ithaca towards State College or vice versa.

I agree, wrestling Cornell as an OOC match makes much sense. However, as you alluded to there is no huge "boy I like those guys" feelings radiating from Ithaca towards State College or vice versa.

Anyone know the source of this?

I do like the thought of personal feelings interfering with match-ups that would be good for the sport.
FWIW - Rob Koll is on record for the past 4-5 seasons that he's reached out to try to set this dual up. No personal feelings at issue on his part.

From his spring newsletter, 5/10/2018:

"Next year cannot get here too soon. I am currently finishing our schedule. Our team will be more mature, therefore I plan on adding a few more challenges. One match you will not see is a dual against Penn State. I only bring this up because I get asked by a Cornell or Penn State fan at least once a week why we don’t wrestle. I assure all that I try to arrange this match every year.Unfortunately the enthusiasm for a match between the perennial top two teams on the East Coast is not shared by our Happy Valley brethren."

Reactions: jtothemfp
Anyone know the source of this?
I can't cite sources (not gonna research right now), but Koll and others tried to push national duals while Cael and TnT were abroad coaching freestyle. Cael is pretty stoic unless you go after something he holds dear--like our kickass national tourney (artificial construct or not).

Reactions: androcles
I can't cite sources (not gonna research right now), but Koll and others tried to push national duals while Cael and TnT were abroad coaching freestyle. Cael is pretty stoic unless you go after something he holds dear--like our kickass national tourney (artificial construct or not).
Okay, but it doesn't seem like a great reason to avoid a dual meet (or meets) with Cornell. Seems more like a personal grudge.

I think there are a lot of factors at play--I'd like to see us trade with Cornell every year--but I know the staff like to help the sport by booking "struggling" programs too. It's probably part of the very succesful "f*n" approach to it all to have some guys everyone can toss around from time to time too. I'm sure if it were a priority, they'd book Cornell, but I bet the personalities and history play a part too.

FWIW - Rob Koll is on record for the past 4-5 seasons that he's reached out to try to set this dual up. No personal feelings at issue on his part.

"Next year cannot get here too soon. I am currently finishing our schedule. Our team will be more mature, therefore I plan on adding a few more challenges. One match you will not see is a dual against Penn State. I only bring this up because I get asked by a Cornell or Penn State fan at least once a week why we don’t wrestle. I assure all that I try to arrange this match every year.Unfortunately the enthusiasm for a match between the perennial top two teams on the East Coast is not shared by our Happy Valley brethren."
I am 100% positive this particular type of communication does not help Koll's cause.

Basically the underhanded crap (lies and properly chosen times for votes) by the NWCA leadership (Ryan, Koll and JRob) in trying to force the Coaches dual tournament into the recognized national team champion and later the attempted behind closed doors manipulation of the duals into the team championship formula caused some severe mistrust.
You don't see Iowa going out of their way to grapple with Cornell either.

Just a suggestion, but an apology for being so damn secretive, underhanded and using misinformation might go a long way in getting Penn State and Cornell on each other's schedule occasionally.

I know that isn't coming, I am just saying it would help.

I seriously doubt Cornell ends up on Penn State's or Iowa's schedule until the schools change leadership. In other words, not for a while.

"I try to arrange this match every year.Unfortunately the enthusiasm for a match between the perennial top two teams on the East Coast is not shared by our Happy Valley brethren."

Going public with a statement like this -- whether true or not -- suggests the animosity may well go both ways. And it sure as hell isn't the way to change things.

And when he makes that reference to the top two teams on the East Coast, are we to assume that Pitt is too far inland to be considered "East Coast?" :rolleyes:

Okay, but it doesn't seem like a great reason to avoid a dual meet (or meets) with Cornell. Seems more like a personal grudge.
Who here voluntarily conducts business with people they can't trust?

Calling an emergency vote on national duals was weaselly. The only emergency was ramming it thru before Cael and Brands got home from the Olympics.

Continually sticking a thumb in the eye ... virtue signaling, not serious about competing. Complete opposite of relationship repairing and building.

Since Roar's 133 and 141 weight is generating discussion about Arijau and Yianni, I'll go with Cornell's lineup next.

125 – Baughman (Jr)

A two-year starter going 25-13 as the starter @125 in 2017 and 23-9 in 2018 after moving back down from 133 to become the starter again @ 125 midway through the season (replacing Russo who wasn't doing very well). He somehow didn’t qualify for NCAAs either year despite having some quality wins (especially in 2017).

133 – Tucker (Sr)

He went 23-12 as a first year starter last year, going 1-2 at the NCAA tournament. Despite the solid season, he will probably lose his starting spot to a pretty good incoming freshman.

133 – Arijau (Fr)

He went 9-1 wrestling for the Fingers Lake Wrestling Club last year (including a win against Tucker). <Note: I saw the speculation that Arijau may go at 125. I'll believe it when I see it.>

141 – Diakomihalis (So)

An epic true freshman campaign sporting a 37-1 record and NCAA title. For now, I’m assuming he stays at 141. I just don’t see him jumping a weight coming off an ACL injury.

149 – Koll (Sr)

A starter @141 in 2017 going 18-15 and @149 in 2018 going 9-6.

157 – Stroker (Jr)

He won the starting spot over Simaz last year, going 14-9 and is looking to be Cornell’s full-time starter this year.

165 – Chavez (Sr)

Chavez went 23-6 as a first year starter last year. In one of the surprises of the tournament, he came in as the #16 seed and came out of the 165 weight class meat grinder with a 7th place finish.

174 – Womack (Sr)

Womack went 36-11 and finished #8 at 165 in 2017. He moved up to 174 (going 18-11) and qualified again last year but went 0-2 in the tournament. He did almost have a monumental upset against BoJo in the 1st round.

184 – Dean (So)

Dean had a very solid freshman campaign going 32-6 and finishing 8th at the tournament (from the 9 seed).

197 – Darmstadt (So)

Darmstadt had a great run heading into the tourney earning the #2 seed. He had a rough ending to the tournament losing his last 3 matches and finished the season with a 34-4 record and a 6th place finish.

H – Sweany (Sr)

A two-time NCAA qualifier, going 0-2 in 2016 and 2-2 last year with a 21-8 record.

H- Honis (Sr)

Honis went 29-16 in 2017 as the 197 starter en route to qualifying for the NCAA tournament (going 1-2).

Cornell returns all of their starters from last year, including a national champ and 4 other former AAs, and adds a dynamic freshman. This is a pretty good looking team. Chavez might not be able to replicate his tournament result from last year and someone might be able to catch Yianni (I’d still take Yianni against the field), but there is good potential for more points at most of the other weights so they should be able to surpass their 48 point/7th place finish from last year.
When I think of Cornell, I always go back to The Office. That said, my sons future in-laws, are both Cornell Grads. Good people, notwithstanding

Reactions: Dogwelder

Calling an emergency vote on national duals was weaselly. The only emergency was ramming it thru before Cael and Brands got home from the Olympics.

Continually sticking a thumb in the eye ... virtue signaling, not serious about competing. Complete opposite of relationship repairing and building.
Yikes, Big Red is a big orange!

Seems more like a personal grudge.

thats certainly ok by this guy, given what went down publicly. Add to that what many might summarize was back door stuff behind the scenes too. Do people hear any rumblings of mizzou getting a HaH?

Frankly for me, I wouldnt schedule tO$U either for Darth Ryans BS back then. But using their robes as Jiz rags is certainly something I condone, but thats just me.

Im sure cael loves getting talked to through the media too.

thats certainly ok by this guy, given what went down publicly. Add to that what many might summarize was back door stuff behind the scenes too. Do people hear any rumblings of mizzou getting a HaH?

Frankly for me, I wouldnt schedule tO$U either for Darth Ryans BS back then. But using their robes as Jiz rags is certainly something I condone, but thats just me.

Im sure cael loves getting talked to through the media too.

Meh, shenanigans are what rivalries are made of. Cornell should be on the schedule. Settle it on the mat and see Nickal do this
5879a903ab43c.image.jpg

Seems like the best payback would be to kick their ass on the mat. And the fans win that way too. But that's just me and my simple-minded view.

And if PSU and Cornell can't get past their differences, neither staff should talk about "growing the sport", etc.

How do they divide gate revenue in NCAA wrestling? In a down schedule year, Cornell would be a good team for a BJC match. Considering how well Cornell travels to the NCAA tournament, I don't doubt that it would sell out.

Seems like the best payback would be to kick their ass on the mat. And the fans win that way too. But that's just me and my simple-minded view.

And if PSU and Cornell can't get past their differences, neither staff should talk about "growing the sport", etc.
One could argue we have kicked their ass on the mat every March since 2011, and every January since then until they quit.

And give me a break about "growing the sport." Cornell cannot do that without PSU or some other power. PSU can and has done it without Cornell. They need us a lot more than we need them. Kinda like Pitt football, though with more fans.

Reactions: The Shelter
One could argue we have kicked their ass on the mat every March since 2011, and every January since then until they quit.

And give me a break about "growing the sport." Cornell cannot do that without PSU or some other power. PSU can and has done it without Cornell. They need us a lot more than we need them. Kinda like Pitt football, though with more fans.

I agree, they need us more than we need them. However, rivalry is good for the sport. Rivalry attracts fans. And Pitt is Sh@# (unfortunately).

We can always say schedule Cornell ahead of pick a program -- but that flies in the face of building programs that need help. Probably would no longer say "not frickin Buffalo" if in a few years Stutzman made them a top 15ish program like he did at Bloomsburg.

We can always say schedule Cornell ahead of pick a program -- but that flies in the face of building programs that need help. Probably would no longer say "not frickin Buffalo" if in a few years Stutzman made them a top 15ish program like he did at Bloomsburg.

I understand building programs. A Bucknell or 2 is good for having on the schedule. But when you refuse to have a natural top ranked rival (especially a neighbor like Cornell) on the schedule out of pettiness, it's bad for the sport. (Its similar to Iowa refusing to play VT. )

There seem to be a lot of assumptions being made here about why Cael won't wrestle Cornell... But has any of this been confirmed by Cael? Has he spoken out about this?

Personally, I believe the animosity goes back to the 2009 season, when Rob Koll hung a 22-15 whupping onto a #2 ranked Iowa State team coached by Cael Sanderson, at - ironically - the semifinals of National Duals in Cedar Falls IA. But there was a silver lining on that cloud - Cael was so embarrassed by the Cyclones' performance that the following season, he made a move... to Happy Valley.

It's also worth noting, the 2009 season (actually November 2008) was the last time, I believe, that Cornell and Penn State faced off in a dual meet - Cael arrived at Penn State the following season, and the two teams have not faced off since then.

Last edited:

And you can give me a break about "conducting business with people you can't trust". We're talking about a friggin college wrestling match here, not a business partnership or corporate merger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_Nittany

"I assure all that I try to arrange this match every year.Unfortunately the enthusiasm for a match between the perennial top two teams on the East Coast is not shared by our Happy Valley brethren."
So Koll is trying to get top ten powerhouse (and the other Premiere East Coast team) Rutgers on the PSU schedule???

... And if PSU and Cornell can't get past their differences, neither staff should talk about "growing the sport", etc.
To be fair, we have to acknowledge that Cael and the PSU staff do more than their share of growing the sport. If they don't feel like scheduling a team, they should not have to schedule a team. I'm sure Mother Theresa could have done more to alleviate just one more piece of suffering if she gave up some more personal time, but why should she have to?

To be fair, we have to acknowledge that Cael and the PSU staff do more than their share of growing the sport. If they don't feel like scheduling a team, they should not have to schedule a team. I'm sure Mother Theresa could have done more to alleviate just one more piece of suffering if she gave up some more personal time, but why should she have to?

Don't get me wrong, Cael has done a great job with scheduling overall. Trying to save Boston U, going to UV State, giving me the opportunity to take my sons to see them at Bakersfield State, etc. That said, not scheduling Cornell for 8 years does not make sense.

In Cael I trust but we should be wrestling Cornell at least every other year. Maybe alternate with Lehigh as a regional rival.

Reactions: RandyL
There seem to be a lot of assumptions being made here about why Cael won't wrestle Cornell... But has any of this been confirmed by Cael? Has he spoken out about this?

Personally, I believe the animosity goes back to the 2009 season, when Rob Koll hung a 22-15 whupping onto a #2 ranked Iowa State team coached by Cael Sanderson, at - ironically - the semifinals of National Duals in Cedar Falls IA. But there was a silver lining on that cloud - Cael was so embarrassed by the Cyclones' performance that the following season, he made a move... to Happy Valley.

It's also worth noting, the 2009 season (actually November 2008) was the last time, I believe, that Cornell and Penn State faced off in a dual meet - Cael arrived at Penn State the following season, and the two teams have not faced off since then.

I think either the russians or Jammenz has hacked redblades account

National duals + conspiracy theory + Cael losing at something + Cael fearful of something = Jammenz

Reactions: redblades

A whupping? So embarrassed? It was a 7 point loss to to a top 5 Cornell team. Come on man, that was weak.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3

Penn State also defeated ISU in 2008 so maybe Cael's animosity against Sunderland was so great that's why he took the job, haha.

Seriously, your comments are ridiculous. If anything, Cael doesn't want to blow Cornell out every year and interfere with the delusion that they are a wrestling power since that faulty perception is good for the sport. When is the last time Cornell won a team trophy again, 2012?

If it is putting rearends in seats then Penn State traveling to West Point to fill their gym is growing the sport more so than traveling to Ithaca to fill a gym that sees a full house once or twice a year anyhow.

Now if we were talking about starting a wrestling series of Friday Night Wrestling, featuring big time matches from across the country Penn State hosting Cornell in a Friday night match televised by whoever, ESPN, FOXSports then they could talk about putting their differences aside to grow the sport.

Reactions: Ja1339 and tabenn
ADVERTISEMENT