ADVERTISEMENT

Coquese Washington out

If Sandy had added $3M+ per year in the past 5 years to the b-ball budget to hire a better staff, improve budgets and facilities, people would be having a shit fit that she was spending money on a program that has rarely won, was turning a profit as is, and at a time when football has needed more resources/upgrades and athletic department finances were tenuous. Imagine telling Franklin he can’t get more money for assistants because we had to dump that money into basketball. No matter what she does, she’ll be wrong in some people’s eyes.

I think she was right to give Pat more time. He was slowly improving the play and the recruiting. Personally I fell off the Pat bandwagon last year, but his run at the end of the year had me with one foot back in. I pulled that foot off back in January. I think we’ve seen the best he can do. But to do it right in replacing him would cost millions more per year. It’s not just the head coach salary (which is going to be at least $1.5M above Pat), but that coach will demand a higher pool for better assistants, and improvements in other budgetary areas and facilities. Any coach not in a position to demand that or go elsewhere probably isn’t the kind of coach that can make a difference, unless we get lucky.

I want a bigger investment in basketball. But I understand why it hadn’t been done yet, if you look at the finances. I want to see Sandy figure out a way to make it work. But it might entail cutting a number of sports, and I dint know that the university would allow her to do that. We’ll see what happens.

I'd have no problem if Barbour did what you outlined in your first sentence. I would also expect results.

i would much rather prefer a change at the top of the athletic department for starters.

Here are some names that should be on Barbour's/Ventura Partners' list of candidates.

Jennie Baranczyk – HC, Drake
Courtney Banghart – HC, Princeton
Bob Bolden – HC, Ohio U
Joanne Boyle – former HC, Virginia
Dan Burt – HC, Duquesne
Joy Cheek – AC, Clemson
Fred Chmiel -- AC, South Carolina
Megan Gebbia – HC, American Univ.
Lindsay Gottlieb – HC, Cal
Robin Harmony – HC, Lamar Univ.
Quentin Hillsman – HC, Syracuse
Neile Ivey -- AC, Notre Dame
Tina Langley – HC, Rice
Katrina Merriweather – HC, Wright State
Dawn Plitzuweit – HC, South Dakota
Shea Ralph – AC, UConn
Aaron Roussell – HC, Bucknell

Just based on W-L records and their online bios, I'd put Langley at the top of the list. Protégé of Brenda Frese at Marlyand and has Rice (Rice!) in the Top 25. Baranczyk and Plitzuweit would be next.
Rob bolden is coaching women’s basketball now? Good for him!

Yesterday everyone was criticizing Sandy for not firing Coquese, or not having the gumption or desire to do so. She does that, so today they’re criticizing how she’s going to replace her. Maybe it has nothing to do with what Sandy does or doesn’t do?
Too mutually exclusive actions. Ok she did step one yay....not that really hard to do. Step 2 a little bit higher on the challenging scale and maybe why a search firm is used because the task( albeit should be a standard one for a High Priced AD) is too daunting for our AD

Reactions: Sharkies
The outside search firm isn't compiling lists of coaches. They are the ones that contact the agents of the coaches you want to interview to gauge interest before the AD asks permission to talk to them. A lot of the ones you want to interview still have seasons to finish out. The school can't be seen making inquiries while someone is still coaching.

Here are some names that should be on Barbour's/Ventura Partners' list of candidates.

Bob Bolden – HC, Ohio U
Dan Burt – HC, Duquesne
Joy Cheek – AC, Clemson
Tina Langley – HC, Rice
Shea Ralph – AC, UConn

Just based on W-L records and their online bios, I'd put Langley at the top of the list. Protégé of Brenda Frese at Marlyand and has Rice (Rice!) in the Top 25. Baranczyk and Plitzuweit would be next.

I hope it's an international search - and this is the guy that should be hired. Doubtful that he'd take the job unfortunately.

sp-hovasse-a-20170413-870x580.jpg

Japan women's basketball coach Hovasse enjoying life's twists

Well, there you have it. Coquese gets swiftly fired after five conference wins and a 1st-round exit. The standard has been established. Sandy got a new contract and she is making her move.

If Pat loses to Illinois and exist in round 1 of the BTT, is he also gone?

The search firm may be working in overdrive right now, smelling more potential PSU business if they deliver a good outcome.

If Pat wins tomorrow and wins in the BTT, I think probably he stays.

If he loses two in a row, that may be curtains.

If he splits, I don't know.

Interesting days ahead.

Too mutually exclusive actions. Ok she did step one yay....not that really hard to do. Step 2 a little bit higher on the challenging scale and maybe why a search firm is used because the task( albeit should be a standard one for a High Priced AD) is too daunting for our AD
Just moving the goalposts.

Well, there you have it. Coquese gets swiftly fired after five conference wins and a 1st-round exit. The standard has been established. Sandy got a new contract and she is making her move.

If Pat loses to Illinois and exist in round 1 of the BTT, is he also gone?

The search firm may be working in overdrive right now, smelling more potential PSU business if they deliver a good outcome.

If Pat wins tomorrow and wins in the BTT, I think probably he stays.

If he loses two in a row, that may be curtains.

If he splits, I don't know.

Interesting days ahead.
Men’s and women’s are apples and oranges. No sense in comparing the two.

I’m guessing these next two games aren’t nearly as meaningful as you think (short of him pushing a player, throwing a chair, etc).

What a pathetic tweet. But what should we expect from the current goodie two shoes university management and athletic administration.

Yes, THANK YOU coach Washington for your "impact to the program", taking an excellent women's BB program and making it the laughing stock of the Big Ten!!!
I’m sure whatever tweet you think they should have put out would have been the pathetic one.

Men’s and women’s are apples and oranges. No sense in comparing the two.

I’m guessing these next two games aren’t nearly as meaningful as you think (short of him pushing a player, throwing a chair, etc).

Probably not. My guess is that she probably wants to fire him, especially after the suspension, but is hesitant because his contract just started and may not want to make two hires at the same time.

I'm sure that the AD is trying to get a sense of where the players are

I’m sure whatever tweet you think they should have put out would have been the pathetic one.

Yes you're sure, Of what you don't know. It was pathetic. And she did drive a very good program into the ground. Way past time to move on. And I am hoping she has a seat out of town next to Pat. 8 years is enough.

Yes you're sure, Of what you don't know. It was pathetic. And she did drive a very good program into the ground. Way past time to move on. And I am hoping she has a seat out of town next to Pat. 8 years is enough.
There is zero upside to saying anything other than exactly what we said. Especially when you’re getting ready to go out and hire a new coach. Regardless of her lack of success the past few years, she is still a human.

Reactions: Hotshoe
There is zero upside to saying anything other than exactly what we said. Especially when you’re getting ready to go out and hire a new coach. Regardless of her lack of success the past few years, she is still a human.

Yep, some time its better to minimize the spin, and just move on.

Where were all you geniuses when the university decided to use a search firm to hire the new Dean of the College of Liberal Arts? I didn’t hear anyone complaining about that hire.

Where were all you geniuses when the university decided to use a search firm to hire the new Dean of the College of Liberal Arts? I didn’t hear anyone complaining about that hire.

That’s because Barry doesn’t have a hard on for anyone not involved with the Athletic Department.

But that said this is the longest thead on this board anout WBB since...ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit and BlueBand

PSU went outside to find a dean? Doesn't say a whole lot for the faculty of Liberal Arts.

PSU went outside to find a dean? Doesn't say a whole lot for the faculty of Liberal Arts.
Or it says they wanted the best candidate possible, not just the best candidate they could promote from within.

I predict if Sandy hires a candidate people are not 100% sold on, they will say she botched the job. And if she hires someone everyone is sold on, they will credit the search firm for the hire.

Reactions: Nitwit
If the guy they got was the "best candidate possible" PSU should ask the search firm for its money back.
I have no idea who he/she is, or the job they’ve done, so I can’t speak to that.

Just moving the goalposts.

No your original statement was relational to two events and folks complaining. They are different events which can have positive or negative outcomes one outcome doesnt dictate the other

Bob Boldon – HC, Ohio U
Dan Burt – HC, Duquesne
Joy Cheek – AC, Clemson
Tina Langley – HC, Rice
Shea Ralph – AC, UConn

My vote is for Chris Dailey, Gino's assistant at UConn.

I once tried to dig up some info on those search firm fees ..... and except for BIG TIME Football Coaching hires, it was well under six figures, in most instances (that I found).

I can’t imagine anyone charging 1/2 that for a Women’s Hoops “Coaching Search”. Maybe $20-30,000-Ish? Something in that ballpark? - but that’s just my hunch based on the lack of importance of Women’s Hoops vs Football (not that they wouldn’t immediately double the rate, when they see its Barbour on the line :) )

Unless the consultant is a friend of the BoT. In that case they will write them a huge check for their services.

I predict if Sandy hires a candidate people are not 100% sold on, they will say she botched the job. And if she hires someone everyone is sold on, they will credit the search firm for the hire.

I expect that she'll make a perfectly reasonable hire, either a head coach in the process of climbing the ladder with some accomplishments to point to, or a hot assistant (established big name coaches generally don't move and it would be a major coup if she got one). If that's the case anyone, anyone calling it a "good" hire or bad "hire" is talking out of their ass. That will be determined by what the coach does at PSU and Barbour, not the search firm, will own that.

Chris Dailey has been at UConn for 33 years and is in the Hall of Fame. She's had opportunities to move before and hasn't budged. The only job I can see he moving for is taking over for CViv at Rutgers and that's not a given.

She’d still be unemployed if penn state didn’t pick her up out of the gutter and pay for more than her going rate, and then give her a raise and extension. She better get it right.

She’d still be unemployed if penn state didn’t pick her up out of the gutter and pay for more than her going rate, and then give her a raise and extension. She better get it right.
Lol. Right, however many years later, she’d probably be on a street corner somewhere and would have never found another job.

That’s completely realistic.

Lol. Right, however many years later, she’d probably be on a street corner somewhere and would have never found another job.

Well, if she was on a street corner, I’d keep driving to the next block looking for more along the lines of one of Midnighter’s polling gals! :rolleyes:

Let's just say that there was only one major school that was willing to hire her at a significant premium over what she was making at Cal given the cluster fvck over which she presided. Where she might have alternatively landed and how here career would have progressed is anyone's guess.

What a pathetic tweet. But what should we expect from the current goodie two shoes university management and athletic administration.

Yes, THANK YOU coach Washington for your "impact to the program", taking an excellent women's BB program and making it the laughing stock of the Big Ten!!!

They could have said, "Thanks for f*cking things up!"

:eek:

The program was long gone from excellent when she took over. She at least took it back to respectable before slowly sinking her own ship.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago

Chris Dailey was rumored to be PSU's top choice after Rene Portland "resigned," but late in the process Geno talked Dailey out of heading to Happy Valley. Former Vanderbilt coach Melanie Balcomb was also rumored to be in the mix. After a couple turndowns, Curley and Spanier picked Coquese off the Notre Dame staff.

At this point, I expect Dailey to retire with Geno. She's had plenty of chances to land her own gig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handwarmer
ADVERTISEMENT