ADVERTISEMENT

Cool video that shows LED, OLED, and CRT TVs in super slow-mo

While it's now outdated, I wish they included a plasma to compare. I own one and one of the reasons why is touched on in the video - deeper black levels than were available on LCD/LED TVs at the time (OLED wasn't an option then).

Reactions: PSU95alum
While it's now outdated, I wish they included a plasma to compare. I own one and one of the reasons why is touched on in the video - deeper black levels than were available on LCD/LED TVs at the time (OLED wasn't an option then).

A few years ago there was a round table discussion about the new TVs at the CET.

They were all professional TV evaluators. They stated that they evaluated lots of TVs, but if you went to the home of those who evaluated for a living, they all had Plasma TVs.

They then lamented the end of Plasma production. Their new focus was on OLED, as the next great technology.

A few years ago there was a round table discussion about the new TVs at the CET.

They were all professional TV evaluators. They stated that they evaluated lots of TVs, but if you went to the home of those who evaluated for a living, they all had Plasma TVs.

They then lamented the end of Plasma production. Their new focus was on OLED, as the next great technology.
I'm not surprised. I did a lot of research before I got mine and almost every educated reviewer strongly preferred plasma. The Pioneer Elite Kuros had already stopped being produced when I bought mine and had become something of a white whale, driving prices of them through the roof on the secondary market. The Panasonic line that I purchased became one of the next best alternatives.

I believe the death of plasma was largely due to retailers and their strategies. Their showrooms were so brightly lit that plasmas looked worse side-by-side, LCD/LED tvs were capable of much brighter pictures. But since nobody's home is that brightly lit up, it was irrelevant and plasmas are plenty bright for most homes. Also I believe margins on LCD/LED TVs were higher, so retailers pushed those over plasmas despite plasmas having better picture quality. The public was all over the burn-in issue that plagues early plasmas, but that's a non-issue for later generation sets like mine. Reflectivity of the screen also improved greatly with AR coatings, I have no issues there either. To this day when I watch TV at friends' homes and they have the digital video processing effects on their LED TVs cranked up which creates the so-called "soap-opera effect" it makes me cringe. I don't understand how anyone watches such an unnatural picture.

My plasma will continue to be my primary TV until the day it dies.

I'm not surprised. I did a lot of research before I got mine and almost every educated reviewer strongly preferred plasma. The Pioneer Elite Kuros had already stopped being produced when I bought mine and had become something of a white whale, driving prices of them through the roof on the secondary market. The Panasonic line that I purchased became one of the next best alternatives.

I believe the death of plasma was largely due to retailers and their strategies. Their showrooms were so brightly lit that plasmas looked worse side-by-side, LCD/LED tvs were capable of much brighter pictures. But since nobody's home is that brightly lit up, it was irrelevant and plasmas are plenty bright for most homes. Also I believe margins on LCD/LED TVs were higher, so retailers pushed those over plasmas despite plasmas having better picture quality. The public was all over the burn-in issue that plagues early plasmas, but that's a non-issue for later generation sets like mine. Reflectivity of the screen also improved greatly with AR coatings, I have no issues there either. To this day when I watch TV at friends' homes and they have the digital video processing effects on their LED TVs cranked up which creates the so-called "soap-opera effect" it makes me cringe. I don't understand how anyone watches such an unnatural picture.

I miss my plasma. It was the best picture!!

Reactions: Monty2007
They're all good - to me anyway. Especially the pricing. Just bought a 43" Spectre (I've used smaller ones for monitors w/ no problems) LED for my patio. $189 w/ free shipping.

Yeah, I bought a Panasonic plasma in its penultimate year of production. The FINAL year, they finally surpassed the Kuro, but I MISSED OUT!

OLED prices are finally approaching what I paid for my plasma:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11239267-l...art-oled-tv-1349-ebay?src=catpagev2_catnav_tv

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT